Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 25 26 27 28 29 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
Lucky9146
post Feb 13 2018, 05:13 PM
Post #521

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

Learning more than I want to about this Holly 125 fuel pump. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Just got off the phone again with Holly technical and learned the fuel pump MUST be mounted vertically or it will wear the main shaft (non-replaceable) and could actually have been the cause of this leaking I am experiencing and trying to fix. A few degrees OK but this is at 23 degrees and he says that is too much and should be corrected.
Sounds simple enough.

Attached Image

This shot below shows there are 3 bolts holding the pump bracket, 2 on the left and one on the right.
The nuts to these bolts are on the other side of the bulkhead and inaccessible so this means the gas tank comes out once again.
Then need figure out how to mount it vertically and re-make 2 AN6 fuel lines.
Fun
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 13 2018, 08:28 PM
Post #522

Tank is out again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I sure get what the PO Moparrob was trying to do and the limitations he had of locating the fuel filter and pump either side of the vertical spare and keep it gravity fed. Going to take me a bit of time to get this to work now.

On the bright side Holly people are really responsive and willing to take the time to help you with whatever you are dealing with regarding their products. Inner workings of the pump are kinda cool
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 17 2018, 09:29 AM
Post #523

Fabricated this bracket and it will do the trick. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
Provides minimal clearance on both sides when installed, swings the bottom of the pump out at almost the same height it was, pump will still be securely attached, enables removal of the pump without removing the gas tank, and with new tighter AN fittings still allows room for the spare tire to be vertical mounted! Win, win, win, win, win.
Mounting and plumbing in progress! Pictures to follow.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 17 2018, 10:34 AM
Post #524

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Feb 5 2018, 11:07 AM) *

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Feb 4 2018, 10:43 PM) *

Wow, nice improvement!

Thanks, I do what I can, but it sure doesn't hold a candle to the work being performed on Cairo94507's car! That's a double Wow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) Or Defianty's car also a double Wow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I have some added inspiration now (disclaimer I am by no means a computer guy) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I just figured out how to change my screen background in Windows 10 and I get to see this all the time on my computer now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)
Unfortunately it is currently on jack stands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I can't wait to catch up to you.
Most excellent color choice !

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 17 2018, 03:28 PM
Post #525

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 17 2018, 08:34 AM) *

Wow, nice improvement!

Thanks, I do what I can, but it sure doesn't hold a candle to the work being performed on Cairo94507's car! That's a double Wow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) Or Defianty's car also a double Wow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I have some added inspiration now (disclaimer I am by no means a computer guy) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I just figured out how to change my screen background in Windows 10 and I get to see this all the time on my computer now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)
Unfortunately it is currently on jack stands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Well come on! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
You know that shell is kinda purdy, like a clean canvas. Best to you on your project I will stay tuned. Are you going white too? Thanks for looking in.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 17 2018, 04:55 PM
Post #526

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Feb 17 2018, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 17 2018, 08:34 AM) *

Wow, nice improvement!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Well come on! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
You know that shell is kinda purdy, like a clean canvas. Best to you on your project I will stay tuned. Are you going white too? Thanks for looking in.

Black top. glued/bolted in place.
No appearance group.
Will look like the cheapest stripper '70.....even body color bumpers.
Carbed 3.0 , 915, probably AC etc.etc.
Still plenty to do.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 17 2018, 09:46 PM
Post #527

Finished up the fuel pump re-install with new seals. Tank and fuel back in.
No Leaks. Pump works!
Onward! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Feb 18 2018, 12:17 AM
Post #528

Member No.: 11,663

You are a stud! Great job on the fuel lines also.
+Quote Post
defianty
post Feb 18 2018, 02:43 AM
Post #529

Member No.: 6,621

Nice work on that fuel pump bracket Jim. Very tidy.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 19 2018, 11:21 AM
Post #530

Thanks Rob and Stephen on the lines and bracket. An unplanned set back for sure, with the design and fabrication of the par,t but well worth it, and it even resulted in a few other benefits. One of which is that with the new mounting I have a better way to secure the trunk board and I was able to install a much improved fuel tank drain shut off.

Saturday added oil, 11 quarts to begin with, Removed the spark plugs to allow the engine to rotate more freely for first cranking to verify oil pressure and circulate the oil. Sorted through some more electrical issues with a lot of trouble shooting.

Sunday finished trouble shooting and then fabricated a new battery cable and fit. I even incorporated the battery terminal from 914 Rubber to top it off. Much better set up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The car is still on jack stands at the suggestion of my buddy toolguy in the event of any oil leaks. Good idea! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

FIRST CRANK, still with still no plugs yielded 25 psi oil pressure! No oil leaks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The thing isn't even running yet, but you have no idea what it was like to see and hear the engine cranking on starter, see the oil pressure building on my quad guage and look through the engine cabin access panel to see the engine turning. Big deal, in that as I have said many times, electrical is not my strong suit. Have learned an awful lot with this project and am more comfortable now. Not to mention building the engine myself.

After helping a neighbor all morning with his patio cover roof, I worked most of the day even missing, unfortunately, the majority of the Datona 500. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
But it was worth it with the progress I made. Between the new battery cable and half the engine compartment fuel lines complete I am much closer. As I mentioned earlier I am incorporating "pre filters" from the regulator to the carbs as a safeguard further complicating my set up.

Have an opportunity to spend time with granddaughters today so that trumps things here and I just may take the time to install the Mark Henry Ford starter solenoid before coming off the jack stands. So we'll see. Almost there!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 20 2018, 09:15 PM
Post #531

Today started off pretty good! Thinking this IS the big day! Just a few things to get ready. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
And finished up the fuel hoses in the engine compartment. Check!
Finished up the Mark Henry starter solenoid install and it looks and works great! Check!

Off jacks stands is next.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 20 2018, 09:23 PM
Post #532

One more setback! Kind of a biggie this time.

Man, this is getting old.

Was about to take it off the jack stands to fire it up and decided it might be smart, since I can run the fuel pump from a switch as I was doing to flush the system, to run the fuel pump now that they are hooked to the carbs and will have back pressure. I would then see what kind of fuel pressure I have and check all around and underneath the car for fuel leaks.

Right away there is a problem with the right carb, it seems to be leaking on the inboard side up high under the rain hat base. Weird. I can’t see where or why? Called my carb guy a couple times as we troubleshot the problem Further trouble shoot disassembly and removal of the rain hat and it is leaking past the seals and he wants the carb back, says its a bugger to fix, so off it came. Sucks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Kinda like that Seinfeld episode “no soup for you!” No start for me!

Fuel was seeping past the seals here, blue arrows, getting the whole inboard side of the carb wet, and it would saturate pretty quickly.
Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Feb 20 2018, 11:36 PM
Post #533

Damn! That old girl is fighting you every inch of the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Perhaps Roland put a hex on it or it is possessed?(IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

How long before the carb comes home?

I may need to whip up a new batch of ale since I drank the old batch while waiting for you... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/busted.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 21 2018, 12:08 AM
Post #534

QUOTE(moparrob @ Feb 20 2018, 09:36 PM) *

Damn! That old girl is fighting you every inch of the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Perhaps Roland put a hex on it or it is possessed?(IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

How long before the carb comes home?

I may need to whip up a new batch of ale since I drank the old batch while waiting for you... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/busted.gif)

Ya ya like there really was a "batch" in the first place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
Yup every inch of the way.

On the bright side I have good fuel pressure and no leaks in the lines.

Carb ships out tomorrow to Salem OR, said he would turn it right around.
Great guy takes his work very seriously probably as frustrated or more than me. Pulling that carb was absolutely no fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

+Quote Post
moparrob
post Feb 21 2018, 12:20 AM
Post #535

OK, I am going to be optimistic and tentatively schedule the start up celebration for Saturday March 3rd. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 21 2018, 10:46 AM
Post #536

QUOTE(moparrob @ Feb 20 2018, 10:20 PM) *

OK, I am going to be optimistic and tentatively schedule the start up celebration for Saturday March 3rd. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I'll be at the L.A. Lit Swap most of the day, won't you? Hope to see you there!

Since there will be a bit of down time now, well there is always something I can do on the car, thought I would share this story regarding what I like to call the "Mark Henry Ford starter solenoid".
As I was rounding you the bits to do the install I quickly realized I did not have any 10 guage wire that Mark prescribes.

Funny how your mind works because right then I remembered (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I still have in a box, on the top shelf, all the way in the back, the Sun Tach from my first car, a 68 Camaro RS. Yup and there it was 10 guage red wire. Never had another car I needed it for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) yet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 21 2018, 01:54 PM
Post #537

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I first it sitting at Pacific raceway, Kent ,WA. it was sporting Type 4 sale engine.
Secomd time I saw it it had noengine and I sold the bodyshop a replacement tail panel..something about rolling out of the garage backwards (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Looks Great (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Feb 21 2018, 02:27 PM
Post #538

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

That is an easy fix if it is leaking under the brass hex cap. The cap has a shoulder under the head that centers the copper washer. Sometimes the shoulder is “thicker” than the washer and the shoulder bottoms in the threads before closing on the washer. Simple fix to file the shoulder down a bit so it does not bottom before the washer seals.

BTDT
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 21 2018, 02:38 PM
Post #539

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The last one I fixed it was the carb body itself had a few dings from over the years,, made a round flat piece with some 220 and lapped it flat.. and this was after total rebuild rebush re dip..
always use a new al. sealing washer
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 21 2018, 03:34 PM
Post #540

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 21 2018, 11:54 AM) *

I first it sitting at Pacific raceway, Kent ,WA. it was sporting Type 4 sale engine.
Secomd time I saw it it had noengine and I sold the bodyshop a replacement tail panel..something about rolling out of the garage backwards (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Looks Great (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Attached Image

That picture you posted is in front of the PO moparrob's house and how it looked when I bought it from him in 2013. Very cool to find out YOU sold the replacement tail panel to Eurotech. I have heard about the accident and rolling into a tree.

If you have any other info on the car I am always looking and it is great to hear that you saw it at the track back then. The Washington owner had a super built 4 he was very proud of.

I have been in communication with the Washington owner from time to time and have been working on him to provide pictures from "back in the day" with the 4. He has shared a few so far, and I am hoping for more.

Below is a picture from that track you mentioned in Kent, I think.
Attached Image
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 25 26 27 28 29 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 03:56 PM