Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 26 27 28 29 30 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
Lucky9146
post Feb 21 2018, 03:36 PM
Post #541

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Feb 21 2018, 12:27 PM) *

That is an easy fix if it is leaking under the brass hex cap. The cap has a shoulder under the head that centers the copper washer. Sometimes the shoulder is “thicker” than the washer and the shoulder bottoms in the threads before closing on the washer. Simple fix to file the shoulder down a bit so it does not bottom before the washer seals.

BTDT

I suggested trying to fix it here to my carb guy and he really wants to see it because he bench tests each one and is truly puzzled that it leaks. He has quite the machine shop from what I gather and he talked specifically about the machining he does in that area.
Apparently he has had very few problems with his work and really stands behind it. For what I paid him to completely go through them they should be right so I agreed it is best he do it. Thanks and I appreciate your input.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 21 2018, 03:55 PM
Post #542

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Feb 21 2018, 02:34 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 21 2018, 11:54 AM) *

I first it sitting at Pacific raceway, Kent ,WA. it was sporting Type 4 sale engine.
Secomd time I saw it it had noengine and I sold the bodyshop a replacement tail panel..something about rolling out of the garage backwards (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Looks Great (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

That picture you posted is in front of the PO moparrob's house and how it looked when I bought it from him in 2013. Very cool to find out YOU sold the replacement tail panel to Eurotech. I have heard about the accident and rolling into a tree.

If you have any other info on the car I am always looking and it is great to hear that you saw it at the track back then. The Washington owner had a super built 4 he was very proud of.

I have been in communication with the Washington owner from time to time and have been working on him to provide pictures from "back in the day" with the 4. He has shared a few so far, and I am hoping for more.

Below is a picture from that track you mentioned in Kent, I think.

Yes, on my pic buts exactly like the one I took @ Kent,, sunny day top of goofy red rollbar... I look for the pic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 21 2018, 09:52 PM
Post #543

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 21 2018, 11:54 AM) *

I first it sitting at Pacific raceway, Kent ,WA. it was sporting Type 4 sale engine.
Secomd time I saw it it had noengine and I sold the bodyshop a replacement tail panel..something about rolling out of the garage backwards (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Looks Great (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I would be interested to hear how it came to be that you supplied the replacement tail panel to that body shop? Was it to Eurotech in Kirkland? Maybe that body shop was a different shop than the one that did a lot of the work on his car, including paint, in 1995 which was Eurotech. I have receipts for all that work.

The paint job is still amazing after all these years and a good part of that comes from being it being Imron.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 22 2018, 12:46 AM
Post #544

914 Wizard

I know Eurotech personnally and have lots of paint work by them and have done select jobs for them also.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 22 2018, 06:43 AM
Post #545

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

That green car !
Can someone provide the details.
Very cool.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 22 2018, 10:58 AM
Post #546

914 Wizard

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 22 2018, 05:43 AM) *

That green car !
Very cool.

Its mine see it on 914-6GT resource page, jeff hines/jon lowe
+Quote Post
porbmw
post Feb 22 2018, 10:59 AM
Post #547

Member No.: 9,534

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 22 2018, 08:58 AM) *

That green car !
Very cool.

Welcome back, Jeff!
It IS a lovely car...I have lusted after it for a while....
Paul
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 22 2018, 11:36 AM
Post #548

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 21 2018, 10:46 PM) *

I know Eurotech personnally and have lots of paint work by them and have done select jobs for them also.
Attached Image

Great looking car, love the color! I will check out the resource page too. I gave Mark at Eurotech a call awhile back to see if he had any recollection or records or pictures of my car. He remembered Roland but had nothing else. Darn! I love gathering history. Thanks for weighing in and I'm heading your way around June, hope to look you up then.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 22 2018, 11:38 AM
Post #549

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 22 2018, 11:58 AM) *

That green car !
Very cool.

Oh I wondered where that car ended up, I have lots of stories about that one. From the Jon Lowe days.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Feb 22 2018, 01:05 PM
Post #550

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Feb 22 2018, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Feb 21 2018, 12:27 PM) *

That is an easy fix if it is leaking under the brass hex cap. The cap has a shoulder under the head that centers the copper washer. Sometimes the shoulder is “thicker” than the washer and the shoulder bottoms in the threads before closing on the washer. Simple fix to file the shoulder down a bit so it does not bottom before the washer seals.

BTDT

I suggested trying to fix it here to my carb guy and he really wants to see it because he bench tests each one and is truly puzzled that it leaks. He has quite the machine shop from what I gather and he talked specifically about the machining he does in that area.
Apparently he has had very few problems with his work and really stands behind it. For what I paid him to completely go through them they should be right so I agreed it is best he do it. Thanks and I appreciate your input.

Had the same issue Jim but left carb leaked ,right hand side was fine,removed and checked caps and sealing rings,the new gasket seals were a tight fit and hadn't seated properly.
The leaked stopped after refitting,I do remember them being very tight when I rebuilt my carbs so think they just needed more torque as the left ones tightened a little more.
This is an issue with the webers as there are on the outside where my Zeniths have them on the inside of the carb top.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Feb 22 2018, 05:16 PM
Post #551

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 21 2018, 12:38 PM) *

The last one I fixed it was the carb body itself had a few dings from over the years,, made a round flat piece with some 220 and lapped it flat.. and this was after total rebuild rebush re dip..
always use a new al. sealing washer

Curious where you got them re-dipped?
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 24 2018, 09:52 AM
Post #552

The engine bay quietly awaits the return of the Weber. Yes, I suppose I could have tried to correct the leak but at this point I wanted to take no chances. If you have been following the thread you will recall the many unexpected challenges that have reared their ugly head along the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I was close to the first start (hopefully no other issues), in the middle of the carb leak, and on the phone with my carb guy who really wanted to see where the problem was, so I agreed to send the carb back. Slow me down, yup, for sure, but the way things have been going, maybe another surprise awaited me under that leaking cap. Maybe not. He stands behind his work, something that seems rare these days. Should be back mid next week so I'll pick it up from there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Gives me time now to replace that fuel pressure guage I was not totally comfortable with to a higher quality Marshal guage. I said good enough for the short term start up but I want to feel more confident in the desired 3.5 PSI pressure to the carbs.
I appreciate all the comments and support.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 24 2018, 10:48 AM
Post #553

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

The seal under the brass covers should be a red fiber material not copper or aluminum.
In my experience new ones will leak when first installed.
If you soak them in gas before install they will swell and seal better.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 24 2018, 11:57 AM
Post #554

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 24 2018, 08:48 AM) *

The seal under the brass covers should be a red fiber material not copper or aluminum.
In my experience new ones will leak when first installed.
If you soak them in gas before install they will swell and seal better.

My understanding is that it is an aluminum crush seal. Could be wrong.

I think it is these two shown here:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 24 2018, 12:34 PM
Post #555

914 Wizard

aluminum......
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Mar 4 2018, 09:20 PM
Post #556

Today was the big day! I finally fired up my 6 for the first time! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Because I had cranked it before it was lubricated, and because I had pressure checked the fuel system, fuel was in the carbs, and the pressure regulator was set.

I tuned the key and it sputtered. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Like it wanted to start, so I turned the dizzy just a bit and tried again and it fired right up, it was almost surreal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

It started right up to a very nice high idle. After a little over 4 years it runs and sounds fantastic!

I have tried to the best of my ability to post videos but they are just too big, even at only 19 seconds long, and I have tried everything I know to shrink them with no success. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
Maybe later I can. This was the good news post.........

+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Mar 4 2018, 09:47 PM
Post #557

Now for the bad news post, I just can't catch a break. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/head_hurts_kr.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

So after a reasonable run in, I decided to back it into the garage.

Put it in reverse and it wants to go forward. Hmmmm... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

You know whats coming. Right?

Yup, I have one speed forward and 5 speed reverse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) I knew right away what was wrong but called my buddy to commiserate and confirm my worst thoughts, the ring gear is in backwards. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) again.

Now, understand the trans came with the project from the PO where he had sent it out for the following, and it even had a tag on it from the builder which clearly said:
Install intermediate plate
1 gear
1 needle bearing
Gasket
Machining.

PO had stated the trans had been checked out thoroughly. This was one item I had not been concerned about with my build.

So there won't be any of this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) for a while longer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
defianty
post Mar 5 2018, 03:51 AM
Post #558

Member No.: 6,621

Unbelievable Jim, truly unbelievable. What a kick in the teeth that must have been. The only positive I can think of is that it's nothing terminal and it can be fixed relatively quickly without too much cost. At this stage you just have to say it could have been a lot worse.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Mar 5 2018, 08:43 PM
Post #559

QUOTE(defianty @ Mar 5 2018, 01:51 AM) *

Unbelievable Jim, truly unbelievable. What a kick in the teeth that must have been. The only positive I can think of is that it's nothing terminal and it can be fixed relatively quickly without too much cost. At this stage you just have to say it could have been a lot worse.

Appreciate your weighing in. Sure didn't see this one coming. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
I don't know at this point if this is something I can tackle myself or not, first step is to drop the trans. Might be someone local I can take it to as I think special tools may be required. I got a couple leads today for local trans folks to check out.

I have also reached out to Dr Evil and waiting to hear back.

I understand the trans can come out while leaving the engine in, so that is a relief.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Mar 5 2018, 11:21 PM
Post #560

Heard back from Dr Evil and good news I can remove the trans and flip the ring gear myself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Here is what the Dr said:
"If it was a 914 trans to begin with, you simply have to pull the transmission, pull the gear stack, plop the diff in the right way, put the stack back in, and yer good to go as the dimensions for R/P and backlash were likely conserved."
Many thanks to the Dr for his quick reply, info and reassurance.

Confirmed it is in fact a 914 trans.
So, last night I had been in contact with the PO sharing both the joy and down fall of the first start up run and I could tell my trans discovery really bothered him. He searched and sent me similar info to the Dr which I appreciated. The Dr provided a bit more credibility and confidence to the flip. Thanks Rob!
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:20 PM