Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 27 28 29 30 31 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
Lucky9146
post Mar 5 2018, 11:24 PM
Post #561

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

I forgot to take any pictures at the Phoenix Club this weekend so I was really glad to see someone got a picture of me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Yup that is me behind that cool 6
Photo credit to 914-300Hemi. He was probably saying to himself get out of my picture! Sorry about that.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Mar 22 2018, 05:04 PM
Post #562

Transmission hiccup now behind me. Well, it's back in the car at least.

Had a few other priorities and just took my time to feel my way through the trans “issue” with the extremely patient helpful Dr Evil. He walked me through many questions and details. Suffice it to say there was a bit more to it than “just pull the stack back and flip the ring gear” as it started out. He has done so many that it is all second nature to him I am sure. Many thanks Dr Evil much appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Crud, back out the trans came leaving the engine in place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Some how I managed not to get a picture of the backwards ring gear but here is the differential correctly now!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Mar 23 2018, 10:17 AM
Post #563

The process

I applied Prussian Blue to 3 areas of the ring gear in 4 tooth sections

Attached Image

Difficult to get a good picture of the resultant pattern but contact appeared to be correct and consistent. The hardest part was cleaning off the blue when done.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Mar 23 2018, 10:24 AM
Post #564

The process allowed me to make a few more improvements along the way. Namely better fit of headers, muffler, and muffler bracket, half a day there.

And the home to which it returned. All in all, these are pretty good cars to work on because at first I thought I would have to drop the engine AND trans.
Not too bad really, I was just not in the mood to do it. Schnoor washers and repacking the CV joints and all.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 23 2018, 11:42 AM
Post #565

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Mar 23 2018, 12:24 PM) *

The process allowed me to make a few more improvements along the way. Namely better fit of headers, muffler, and muffler bracket, half a day there.

And the home to which it returned. All in all, these are pretty good cars to work on because at first I thought I would have to drop the engine AND trans.
Not too bad really, I was just not in the mood to do it. Schnoor washers and repacking the CV joints and all.

That's one clean car.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Mar 23 2018, 12:27 PM
Post #566

Finally got the start up video with he help of a buddy of mine.

This was shot the day of first start up which was Mar 4. I love the sound (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

https://youtu.be/0iJWc_0Xwyw
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 23 2018, 12:56 PM
Post #567

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Excellent Jim,contantly checking your updates,funny how aircooled engines sound like a rotating tin full of bolts on YouTube must be a sound recording buggered if I know why,seems they all sound like that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
So I'am assuming that if the side cover gaskets are replaced with same the diff go's from one side to the other ? or did you need to recheck diff bearing pre-load ?
Congrats and well done on a very clean tidy conversion,you must be really keen for a test run ,have you run in your cams yet?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Mar 23 2018, 08:38 PM
Post #568

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 23 2018, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Mar 23 2018, 12:24 PM) *

That's one clean car.

Thanks Mark! Only had about 2 hours of engine run time in the driveway at that point when I figured out the ring gear was in backwards!
Funny now but no so much then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Great day today! Drove it for the first time today around the neighborhood!
Does the term shit eating grin sound about right here? What a feeling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Hope to post a video tomorrow. It was a very good day, insurance, DMV at AAA. Everything just clicked for once.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Mar 23 2018, 08:57 PM
Post #569

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
Great news!!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Mar 23 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #570

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 23 2018, 11:56 AM) *

Excellent Jim,contantly checking your updates,funny how aircooled engines sound like a rotating tin full of bolts on YouTube must be a sound recording buggered if I know why,seems they all sound like that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
So I'am assuming that if the side cover gaskets are replaced with same the diff go's from one side to the other ? or did you need to recheck diff bearing pre-load ?
Congrats and well done on a very clean tidy conversion,you must be really keen for a test run ,have you run in your cams yet?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .

Thanks for checking in!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Yeah, I don't know why the sound is not right on You Tube and you are not the first to tell me that. Well it sounds like a beast in person even with the stock muffler. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Like I mentioned in the last post reply, I drove it for the first time today and looking forward to much more of that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Did not check bearing pre-load and here is why.
I knew the disassembly was done to replace the mid plate with 914-6 mid plate, and a first gear and bearing. So it was more than likely that the ring gear was accidentally flipped. Doesn't say much for the shop I know but there was a tag on the trans stating what had been done. I figure if he was used to 901 trans for a 911, it was an honest mistake. I had a lot of helpful guidance and assurance from Dr Evil on the trans. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Now should it not pan out over time, maybe I see a 915 trans in my future. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Dc 40 cams seem to be coming along just fine. Hoping to post driving video tomorrow!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 23 2018, 09:30 PM
Post #571

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Congratulations. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
defianty
post Mar 24 2018, 01:35 AM
Post #572

Member No.: 6,621

Great news Jim, I'm so pleased for you to finally have the car driving. Enjoy every second of it! Looking forward to the video and more photos of the car in the wild!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 24 2018, 09:21 AM
Post #573

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Fantastic! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) I'm living vicariously.
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Mar 24 2018, 11:18 AM
Post #574

Member No.: 11,663

Excellent!. Perhaps you should rename this thread to “finished a 914-6 conversion”.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Mar 24 2018, 12:40 PM
Post #575

Member No.: 21,596

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Mar 23 2018, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 23 2018, 11:56 AM) *

Thanks for checking in!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Yeah, I don't know why the sound is not right on You Tube and you are not the first to tell me that. Well it sounds like a beast in person even with the stock muffler. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Like I mentioned in the last post reply, I drove it for the first time today and looking forward to much more of that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Did not check bearing pre-load and here is why.
I knew the disassembly was done to replace the mid plate with 914-6 mid plate, and a first gear and bearing. So it was more than likely that the ring gear was accidentally flipped. Doesn't say much for the shop I know but there was a tag on the trans stating what had been done. I figure if he was used to 901 trans for a 911, it was an honest mistake. I had a lot of helpful guidance and assurance from Dr Evil on the trans. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Now should it not pan out over time, maybe I see a 915 trans in my future. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Dc 40 cams seem to be coming along just fine. Hoping to post driving video tomorrow!

Yes I remember, it does feel good - well done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Mar 24 2018, 07:22 PM
Post #576

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 23 2018, 08:30 PM) *

Thanks much! Yours will be there too some day! I look at every one of your updates and all the great work being done to your car. Was hoping to meet you in Anaheim but missed you somehow. Thanks for looking in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Mar 26 2018, 10:08 AM
Post #577

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 24 2018, 08:21 AM) *

Please do!
Well my friend I would say you are meeting the challenges well on your car. Your car is coming along very nicely. Your welding skills far exceed mine and thankfully I did not have that hurdle. I shall never again complain about it being cold in my garage here in So Cal. after seeing your winter pictures. I see you started in 2017, so, far less time than I have been working on mine and hopefully it will be done in a shorter amount of time. Mine has only been off the road since Clinton was in office. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Different hurdles we faced for sure but in the end you will have the pride of doing it yourself. Congrats on your progress and having the presence of mind to post the picture of fornicating frogs on your thread. Keep up the good work and I shall follow you more closely from now on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 26 2018, 10:24 AM
Post #578

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Mar 26 2018, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 24 2018, 08:21 AM) *

Please do!
Well my friend I would say you are meeting the challenges well on your car. Your car is coming along very nicely. Your welding skills far exceed mine and thankfully I did not have that hurdle. I shall never again complain about it being cold in my garage here in So Cal. after seeing your winter pictures. I see you started in 2017, so, far less time than I have been working on mine and hopefully it will be done in a shorter amount of time. Mine has only been off the road since Clinton was in office. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Different hurdles we faced for sure but in the end you will have the pride of doing it yourself. Congrats on your progress and having the presence of mind to post the picture of fornicating frogs on your thread. Keep up the good work and I shall follow you more closely from now on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

LOL (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Mar 26 2018, 10:35 AM
Post #579

QUOTE(defianty @ Mar 24 2018, 12:35 AM) *

Great news Jim, I'm so pleased for you to finally have the car driving. Enjoy every second of it! Looking forward to the video and more photos of the car in the wild!

Thank you! Finally having a driving 914 is fantastic! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Was really hoping to get a driving video this weekend but had trouble lining up a willing participant, buddies were tied up.
Having never driven the car since I purchased it (had no engine installed) it was truly something to drive it for the first time.
Please keep the updates on your car progress coming! I know your goal for paint. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Mar 27 2018, 08:44 PM
Post #580

QUOTE(moparrob @ Mar 24 2018, 10:18 AM) *

Excellent!. Perhaps you should rename this thread to “finished a 914-6 conversion”.

Well not a bad idea but it is not finished yet! There is more to come so stay tuned!
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 27 28 29 30 31 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:03 PM