Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
earossi
post Aug 8 2015, 08:26 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,878
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 6 2015, 10:10 AM) *

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Aug 5 2015, 11:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 5 2015, 11:22 PM) *

One of the things I have completed is the rear bumper. The car came with a nicely pianted (black) later style rear bumper. The PO was going down the path of black bumpers front and rear. So the car also came wih a fiberglass GT front bumper and matching lower fiberglass valance with the cut out for the cooler.

I really wanted chrome bumpers front and back so I proceded to find a nice early rear and get it chromed. Finding good local chrome shop in San Diego is the challange. I found Escondido Plating and Don does triple chrome great quality for a reasonable price. Also note I bought the new gold 914-6 script and new bumper top.

The front bumper is in work now and another story but it will be steel and chrome.

Did the bumper have any dent repairs? What did they charge for the work?

The bumper did have one small dent and the total was $350 which I thought was reasonable for a local So Cal shop.

I got my bumpers triple plate chromed out in Salt Lake City. Both bumpers came in at a little over $700 in total. Sourcing the old bumpers was another $800; so, it's about a $1500+ mod to do it right. But, mine came out great and I would gladly spend the money on another set if I were doing another car. But, you do need to get them triple plated, meaning that a copper strike is first plated onto the bumpers. The copper will fill minor imperfections (such as corrosion pitting) and can then be sanded smooth by the plater before moving on to the nickle and chrome strikes.

Most shops just do a coat of nickle followed by chrome, which allows any pitting to show through the plating.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 9 2015, 11:49 AM
Post #62

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

The real elephant in the room for me is the wiring for and under the dash. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, mechanically I am ok but electrical not so much. I have spent countless hours under the dash so far tracking and identifying wires from the fuse panel making some headway. Bought diagram's from Prosperos Garage and if you haven't seen them they are done very well and reasonably priced about $20. There is a lot of extraneous wires from a major bundle that were cut cut to the gone console, wires for a stereo, wires from some sort of long gone alarm system, wires to the electric and heated mirrors, and wires that used to go to the 4 cylinder engine for something(?). Add to that the PO found a 6 cyl tach (no year identified) and a really cool quad guage made both yet to be installed and challenges for both. PO bought and included small aux fuse box intended for the oil cooler fans, electric fuel pump, and whatever else. PO also included and intended to change the old main fuse panel to the modern fuses. Don;t get me wrong I think the harness is OK I think it worked but after reading a post the other day from a guy who fried his wires TWICE! I am just a bit skiddish. First the dash current state.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 9 2015, 12:04 PM
Post #63

The Tach is a 911 641 303 03 which is for a 78-83 so appears appropriate for my 79 engine. It was rebuilt by North Hollywood Speedometer. One difference on the Tach from the 4 cyl (that I do not have to actually look at) is that the 4 cyl had a single turn signal light that blinked whether you turn left or right (just like an old VW) and now the the 6 cyl tach has two seperate bulb locations for left and right so of course the wiring does not support that. Delima #one just hook up two bulbs and let them both blink when turing or figure out where to bring wires up for true left and right blinking? Dunno.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 9 2015, 12:23 PM
Post #64

Next up is the very cool quad guage custom built for PO by New Vintage Guages in Detroit MI. It has Oil Press, Temp, Fuel, Volts. Actually it also has 4 warning lights as well. I have a buddy with a 914-6 clone who wants to kill me for it and get rid of his console, so I get why the console is gone. Much better to look at the quad guage than down at the console. As mentioned in the recent "elephant in the room post" this car had a console with gages (all gone) and a wad of cut wires that went to it. So I have figured out some from the console for the quad guage but now with the 6 conversion and different sending units it is a stretch to figure out what goes to what and this is where the wiring diagram falls apart.

Oh, and forgot to mention engine came with PO installed Perry Kiel 914-6 engine conversion wiring harness which is very nice and clean and marked.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 9 2015, 12:46 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 10 2015, 05:49 AM) *

The real elephant in the room for me is the wiring for and under the dash. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, mechanically I am ok but electrical not so much. I have spent countless hours under the dash so far tracking and identifying wires from the fuse panel making some headway. Bought diagram's from Prosperos Garage and if you haven't seen them they are done very well and reasonably priced about $20. There is a lot of extraneous wires from a major bundle that were cut cut to the gone console, wires for a stereo, wires from some sort of long gone alarm system, wires to the electric and heated mirrors, and wires that used to go to the 4 cylinder engine for something(?). Add to that the PO found a 6 cyl tach (no year identified) and a really cool quad guage made both yet to be installed and challenges for both. PO bought and included small aux fuse box intended for the oil cooler fans, electric fuel pump, and whatever else. PO also included and intended to change the old main fuse panel to the modern fuses. Don;t get me wrong I think the harness is OK I think it worked but after reading a post the other day from a guy who fried his wires TWICE! I am just a bit skiddish. First the dash current state.

I can't help but laugh @ your comments ,I'am doing the exact same job as you right now,PO had just popped the gauges in the dash on my car the only thing hooked up was the speedo cable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
My combo gauge is a 77 911 one and I have standalone fuel gauge already wired in the dash,its certainly a lot of wires to play with,I spent an hour and marked them all from the Bowlby diagram,like me you will have to run extra wires for earths and backlighting etc for the combo gauge.
I will watch and maybe learnt from your mistakes/success (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ,as it sounds like we both share the same electrical skills,cheers.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 9 2015, 01:13 PM
Post #66

I can't help but laugh @ your comments ,I'am doing the exact same job as you right now,PO had just popped the gauges in the dash on my car the only thing hooked up was the speedo cable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
My combo gauge is a 77 911 one and I have standalone fuel gauge already wired in the dash,its certainly a lot of wires to play with,I spent an hour and marked them all from the Bowlby diagram,like me you will have to run extra wires for earths and backlighting etc for the combo gauge.
I will watch and maybe learnt from your mistakes/success (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ,as it sounds like we both share the same electrical skills,cheers.
[/quote]

Response above shows misery loves company and I wish you luck too! BTW my speedo was the only guage hooked up too. Ha ha. But your comment promted me to go back and look at my stuff I found a note from boxster fan back in June, early when I was trying to sort things out and still am! He provided the following tip which some may find helpful on Bowlsby he referred to.

boxsterfan
914 relays, Jun 14 2015, 09:28 PM
914's are kewl
Member No.: 791

Here is info in the wiring for under the passenger seat.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Elect_R...ltInterlock.jpg

Other stuff on Bowlsby's site also:
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

boxsterfan
1974 2.0L
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 9 2015, 01:37 PM
Post #67

The "elephant in the room" continues by adding to the wiring "opportunity" with the concept of an aux fuse box furnished by the PO to handle the new electric fuel pump, and oil cooler fans as well as whatever else. PO had some great concepts which I agree with but looking for ideas on best location to put it aux fuse box and how to wire it in for my application. Kit form with all the afore mentioned is a lot!

Along with that is the the PO idea of converting to modern day fuses with a furnished brand new fuse panel. Thinking I need to just get it running first with old fuse panel and not add any more complexity to the issue. This is JWest clone made by Engman I believe.

Pro's Con's suggestions are welcome.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 9 2015, 10:03 PM
Post #68

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Your other thread sent me here... There should be a link in the other thread... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I just did this work today For RobW. I can't really help over the internet but if you were closer, I could have it sorted out in a few days...

I speak wires...
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 12 2015, 02:05 AM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 10 2015, 07:37 AM) *

The "elephant in the room" continues by adding to the wiring "opportunity" with the concept of an aux fuse box furnished by the PO to handle the new electric fuel pump, and oil cooler fans as well as whatever else. PO had some great concepts which I agree with but looking for ideas on best location to put it aux fuse box and how to wire it in for my application. Kit form with all the afore mentioned is a lot!

Along with that is the the PO idea of converting to modern day fuses with a furnished brand new fuse panel. Thinking I need to just get it running first with old fuse panel and not add any more complexity to the issue. This is JWest clone made by Engman I believe.

Since you have the fuseboard put it in ,they seem to get good press,however I would leave it till later as you suggested.
Did you find your other indicator switch lamp wire?my missing one was tucked down the far left hand side near the headlight switch wiring,I think it was a black/green or similar this one is for the RH side.
Have you a wire for your oil pressure gauge? I foolishly run new wiring into the engine space and forgot this one....bugger.
In regards to your aux fuse box,i think they are a good idea,I ran a new 30amp rated cable for future amp and others devices and have a nice little 4 fuse block I intent to tuck up under the dash.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 17 2015, 11:27 AM
Post #70

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 12 2015, 01:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 10 2015, 07:37 AM) *

Since you have the fuseboard put it in ,they seem to get good press,however I would leave it till later as you suggested.
Did you find your other indicator switch lamp wire?my missing one was tucked down the far left hand side near the headlight switch wiring,I think it was a black/green or similar this one is for the RH side.
Have you a wire for your oil pressure gauge? I foolishly run new wiring into the engine space and forgot this one....bugger.
In regards to your aux fuse box,i think they are a good idea,I ran a new 30amp rated cable for future amp and others devices and have a nice little 4 fuse block I intent to tuck up under the dash.

Thanks porschetub for the reply I was out of town with no access to computer. I will look for the other turn wire that would be cool if there. No have not tried running new wiring at all yet. Still hoping for more input. Just returned from Laguna Seca Races and the Works Reunion amazing time I highly recommend it. Monterey Penunisula is beautiful.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 22 2015, 10:07 AM
Post #71

It is my understanding that from '73 up the vehicles had the wiring harness for the center console regardless of whether the console was installed or not. There was connector just forward of the shifter in the main loom that runs in the center tunnel. It not only provided for the wires from the sender, but power to the gauge lighting and grounds. I this picture shows the connector but it is behind the shifter? The wiring for the PO removed console in my car did not come from here but came from elsewhere.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 22 2015, 10:38 AM
Post #72

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

99% sure those connectors plug into a seperate (small) wire loom in the center console.

and yes, the mid and late year cars came with the connections reguardless if it had a console or not.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tp_reading
post Aug 22 2015, 01:36 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 18,698

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 22 2015, 05:07 PM) *

It is my understanding that from '73 up the vehicles had the wiring harness for the center console regardless of whether the console was installed or not. There was connector just forward of the shifter in the main loom that runs in the center tunnel. It not only provided for the wires from the sender, but power to the gauge lighting and grounds. I this picture shows the connector but it is behind the shifter? The wiring for the PO removed console in my car did not come from here but came from elsewhere.

Hi, interested to see from this pic that you have a parking brake lever situated centrally. I have 930 discs on the back, and hence no parking brake. Any info on your set up would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Tony
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 22 2015, 09:14 PM
Post #74

QUOTE(tp_reading @ Aug 22 2015, 12:36 PM) *

Hi, interested to see from this pic that you have a parking brake lever situated centrally. I have 930 discs on the back, and hence no parking brake. Any info on your set up would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Tony

Tony,
Good eye! Afraid its a good news bads news scenario. I picked up on this car where someone else left off and that PO= Previous Owner installed the console e-brake. I love the idea btw. It has yet to be hooked up and he had custom cables made to boot. He later found a post of a much nicer setup that someone else had done using standard cables that when he saw it he liked it better and wished he had done it, but he felt pretty comitted with welded in nuts and all already. And so I went looking and found the link for you of the better set up. Hope this helps! Let me know if link does not work and I will try again. I can show more pictures if you like of mine but it is not yet proven. So if I had it to do from scratch I would probaby go with the better set up.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6791&st=380

Take care
Update I can't get the link to work sorry but the guy who posted it was Jeff Hail search him out and the post was Feb 2011
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 23 2015, 07:18 AM
Post #75

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

You found the center console connectors. Sent a PM with info.
+Quote Post
tp_reading
post Aug 23 2015, 07:23 AM
Post #76

Member No.: 18,698

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 23 2015, 04:14 AM) *

QUOTE(tp_reading @ Aug 22 2015, 12:36 PM) *

Cheers,
Tony

Tony,
Good eye! Afraid its a good news bads news scenario. I picked up on this car where someone else left off and that PO= Previous Owner installed the console e-brake. I love the idea btw. It has yet to be hooked up and he had custom cables made to boot. He later found a post of a much nicer setup that someone else had done using standard cables that when he saw it he liked it better and wished he had done it, but he felt pretty comitted with welded in nuts and all already. And so I went looking and found the link for you of the better set up. Hope this helps! Let me know if link does not work and I will try again. I can show more pictures if you like of mine but it is not yet proven. So if I had it to do from scratch I would probaby go with the better set up.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6791&st=380

Take care
Update I can't get the link to work sorry but the guy who posted it was Jeff Hail search him out and the post was Feb 2011

Thanks for the info. I am off to gather the bits that I need !
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 24 2015, 01:19 PM
Post #77

Anybody with a 74 take a look at my newly installed oil tank area. What a pain but the tank is in. A lot of "trial fits" but done. There is a strut on my car for the engine lid but it looks like the strut mount/ bracket is suppose to do a lot more by the looks of it. I don't know. Anyway the upper most corner of the bracket is in the way of installing the oil filter. The strut itself will clear it is just the upper corner of the bracket is in the way. Did you have to cut or modify this mount/ bracket thing to get the oil filter to fit?

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 24 2015, 01:21 PM
Post #78

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Pm sent.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 24 2015, 02:10 PM
Post #79

So learn as you go. Seems the lower bracket for my GT lid strut is affixed to an aux fan mount. Interesting. Strut works ok! Modified said bracket thanks Rhodyguy for the info.
+Quote Post
OllieG
post Aug 28 2015, 03:10 AM
Post #80

OllieG

Member No.: 13,282
Region Association: England

I wasn't sure what that bracket on mine was for either - I figured it was something a six wouldn't need and I hadn't seen it on other conversions so I just lopped it off!…so it was an aux fan mount, hmm.

Nice job with the oil tank btw.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:45 AM