Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 31 32 33 34 35 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
Lucky9146
post May 1 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #641

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 1 2018, 05:10 PM) *

Bummer about the seats Jim, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) they could have been made years apart hence the difference,can you still get the needle corduroy for the inners ? .
Re: the oil level I had a similar issue but in reverse..PMS filler and stock tank,appears they don't match,I calculated I would need around 12 litres to reach halfway on the dipstick which is too much for my engine (no front cooler) so adjusted the filler neck to bring it closer to the tank ,did an oil change and added 9.5 litres and marked the dipstick ,finally I know where I am.
Car looks great and seems to be getting attention (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

I got as close as I could find on the corduroy after a month and a half of searching.

I pursued many avenues trying to find “correct” corduroy which at one point was starting to look unobtainable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Called, searched, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) , drove, and after numerous phone calls and samples gathered from around the country, even communicating with a place in Germany. I received the material I chose from these shown here.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Attached Image

This is what I thought was closest from SMS to what was believed to be "original". It is a nice heavier weight fabric. I did not like the foam backed one from Autos International and it was THE most expensive. My upholstery guy could have gotten that one too but he knows it is not as correct as what I found. The AASE one was close too with the ribbing as well, but you can see it also came from Germany and was lighter weight but out of stock. SMS has terrible yelp ratings but I did well with them even shipping sooner than they promised. I would recommend them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 1 2018, 07:44 PM
Post #642

QUOTE(914Toy @ May 1 2018, 12:51 PM) *

Bummer. Judging by your words, you have a remarkable cheerful attitude which will propel you out of this disappointment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks Keith
Make no mistake, I am not happy about it, just trying stay positive, make the best of it and move forward. Kind of a bitter pill to swallow. As I tried to lay out, it seemed rather simple to fix initially, but then just kept getting deeper as we went along.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 1 2018, 07:47 PM
Post #643

QUOTE(raynekat @ May 1 2018, 01:15 PM) *

Good on you to correct the issues with these seats.
In the end, you'll have a pair of "matching" seats that will look wonderful in your car.
Lots of times it's 2 steps forward, 1 step back in these builds.
Keep your head down and keep moving ahead.
It will be killer in the end.

Thanks for weighing in!
Yes, on the positive side I was able to cut and shape them myself to look identical, so I am thankful for that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 1 2018, 07:54 PM
Post #644

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 1 2018, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ May 1 2018, 04:15 PM) *

Good on you to correct the issues with these seats.
In the end, you'll have a pair of "matching" seats that will look wonderful in your car.
Lots of times it's 2 steps forward, 1 step back in these builds.
Keep your head down and keep moving ahead.
It will be killer in the end.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Now they will look perfect.

Thanks Mark!
The upholstery shop, Escondido Custom Upholstery, is fairly close to me, like 15 minutes away, and the owner, Oscar does amazing work! I believe, based on everything I have seen of his, they will in deed be perfect! He has just started and they should be hopefully done next week.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 1 2018, 08:28 PM
Post #645

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 1 2018, 01:37 PM) *

Sorry about your latest seat challenge Jim but you've proven that you can fix practicality anything. March on my friend...can't wait to meet up soon.

Awaiting your next driving video!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Oscar

Too funny! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) "fix practically anything"
I have been fortunate in that regard but Jeeze do I have to fix everything? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I hope to make it to San Clemente in the not too distant future. Next few weekends are tied up but I'm at least thinking about it now for real now.
Also hope to get a few San Diego 914'ers to make it to one of the monthly PCASD Cars & Coffee too!

My driving Video buddy is hard to nail down, but I'm working on it for sure.
Looked like the Route 66 was a great time for all. Nice trailer!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 1 2018, 08:33 PM
Post #646

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 1 2018, 05:19 PM) *

Sorry to see what you had to go through with your seats. In doing a build it seems we all have to just keep our eye on the windshield and out of the rear view mirror. Stay as positive as possible. Those seats are going to look absolutely amazing once finished and every time you sit in them you will love them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Michael,
Thanks, but compared to your car this is just child's play.
I do appreciate you checking though and I see more great progress has been made on your car lately too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post May 1 2018, 08:40 PM
Post #647

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

.........here's to the guy who sold you a "bill of goods" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
moparrob
post May 1 2018, 10:33 PM
Post #648

Member No.: 11,663
Region Association: None

Man, you are a STUD!

Your level of detail keeps me constantly envious. Can't wait to plant my butt in those new seats for my test drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
defianty
post May 2 2018, 02:14 AM
Post #649

Member No.: 6,621

I can only imagine the pain when you realised the seats weren't as good as you'd hoped. Despite the additional costs, these seats are going to be perfect once completed and you'll have pride in knowing you had a hand in making them so. Nice one Jim.

Great seats too, I'd love them in my car!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 2 2018, 02:31 PM
Post #650

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ May 1 2018, 07:40 PM) *

.........here's to the guy who sold you a "bill of goods" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Karma (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 2 2018, 02:34 PM
Post #651

QUOTE(moparrob @ May 1 2018, 09:33 PM) *

Man, you are a STUD!

Your level of detail keeps me constantly envious. Can't wait to plant my butt in those new seats for my test drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thank you!
Hey weren't you heading this way this coming weekend? Look back a few posts.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 2 2018, 02:44 PM
Post #652

So to finish off on all the drop link discussion last week I received the "correct" Weltmeister 6 7/8", which a few guys here verified the length on theirs, is what the standard Weltmeister drop link measures.
It is plain to see they will on work on this car, which apparently was lowered way back in the day by about 2 inches. As I said it drives just fine as set up. Case closed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
moparrob
post May 2 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #653

Thank you!
Hey weren't you heading this way this coming weekend? Look back a few posts.

I had planned to come down since I have been out of town the last 3 weekends. However I now have a chance to work on the Silver car this weekend AND go for a ride to Angeles Crest. As much as I want to see the car in person I am jonesing for a ride in my car and will have to see you another day. Have fun though.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 3 2018, 10:52 PM
Post #654

Seat Update

My upholsterer is pretty resourceful. Original webbing in NLA. He took the "best" of the old webbing (elasticity is pretty much gone) and reused it to make it look like the original webbing was still there on the bottoms.

Attached Image

There was just enough of the better looking stuff left to do it on both seats! Inside the old webbing he put new. Very creative! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
moparrob
post May 3 2018, 11:32 PM
Post #655

I think upholsterers must be part alchemist and part witch doctor.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 5 2018, 08:43 AM
Post #656

Next Update on the seats

He starts with the inner wall foam (yellow) and then fills all the frame cavities with foam (gray). This method provides strength to the inner walls and prevents them from sinking into the frame. Then he adds foam to the top rail.

Attached Image

Here is a picture of the old foam used where it was just one piece wrapped around inside and out, which makes for a bulkier look because the foam is always pushing outwards against the vinyl.

Attached Image

He told me to bring the head rest grommets next time up as he needed them.
Hmmmm interesting.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 5 2018, 12:13 PM
Post #657

Last weeks trip to local Cars & Coffee brought to my attention the targa top. I had long thought it was “ok” but now outside it clearly wasn’t and I could clearly see it needed a paint job. I have seen many threads about painting the targa top and decided to paint it with SEM Trim Black as a recommendation from a friend. Spray can on a large surface is not the greatest because the fan is so small.

After 3 attempts I still was not satisfied. It was a combination of things the gave the poor results. Number one with that small fan you really have to keep the “wet line” going or you end up with zebra stripes and I have been painting for years. Maybe shoot a little slower and heavier coat helps. Number two there must be no wind and that is maybe the most critical with the small fan too. Number three the SEM product is good mind you, but I don’t think it really likes spraying that big of a flat surface all at once (with the can horizontal for a prolonged period of time) because early coats sometimes the nozzle skipped or sometimes spattered and it usually happened 5 inches before you could get to the other edge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Today was a total success, no wind, good coverage, cooperative can. Nice sheen, not shiny, and a good finish. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
altitude411
post May 5 2018, 12:19 PM
Post #658

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) Looks fantastic. Nice work
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 6 2018, 11:51 AM
Post #659

QUOTE(moparrob @ May 3 2018, 10:32 PM) *

I think upholsterers must be part alchemist and part witch doctor.

Rob,
I agree, good one (going to have to admit, had to look up alchemist (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ). He really is turning lead into gold! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Here he was telling me how the original seat bottom was good but he was somehow going to improve it. Looking forward to seeing how! So far really nice work and ideas.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Literati914
post May 6 2018, 12:26 PM
Post #660

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hey Lucky, you should do yourself a favor and have your upholsterer order up some "Pirelli Webbing" before you go any further. It's a little more expensive but is worth it. It's the stuff they used to used on vintage car seats. My Volvo 1800E needed webbing replaced and instead of buying the original Pirelli material, I bought the cheaper Dunlop (looks like what you are using)... it hasn't help up well at all. I'm going to have to re-do it. The Pirelli is more of an off-white/cream colored rubber looking material, rather than the stretchy Dunlop. I can sort of relate to what you are doing... I bought E30 BMW sport seats off craigslist (because of their high side bolsters) and combined them with the relatively flat original recaros that were in my 1800E. So I had to weld frame pieces together and manipulate foam, add webbing, custom upholster. But now I have original looking seats (with original side brackets/hinges) but with nice firm side bolsters. It was a 'B' to do but worth the effort. Just trying to save you some frustration up the road with the webbing. Great job on everything, btw !!
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 31 32 33 34 35 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:00 PM