Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 34 35 36 37 38 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
Lucky9146
post May 16 2018, 09:46 PM
Post #701

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 16 2018, 08:18 PM) *

I should have warned you about the smaller bolts to hold the tracks onto the bottom of the seats.

I had to use washers to shim because the vinyl was impeding the seats' ability to slide back and forth.

That's Ok! That is only part of what I have been messing with the last 2 days, in addition to what I mentioned a couple post's back about fitting the driver seat tracks.
I appreciate the thought though! Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I have not been able to do much on the passenger seat today but it is actually more than the vinyl that influences the tracks, it is that the webbing attachments on the bottoms of the seats is in the way requiring washers, or I just might have modified my tracks a bit to accommodate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) They were already horsed up anyway. Plus I am adding Mikey914 seat adjuster handles.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 16 2018, 10:07 PM
Post #702

QUOTE(Coondog @ May 16 2018, 04:34 AM) *

Wow, my dream seats, Congrats.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I liked "my dream seats" and thank you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
To be honest I did not think I would ever end up with these myself!
Right after I bought the car I found a really nice set of Corbeau seats (that will hopefully soon be for sale).
Then I picked up a set of very nice stock seats at a swap meet a few years back.

Remember, you only live once! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 16 2018, 10:43 PM
Post #703

QUOTE(raynekat @ May 16 2018, 04:20 PM) *

Drop dead gorgeous seats.

Thanks! Couldn't be happier!

And your paint job came out beautiful! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) Great progress! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 17 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #704

QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 16 2018, 01:16 PM) *

Damn they look good! It's amazing what a difference the seats make in the driving experience (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Looks like we might have to set up a local back roads drive here pretty soon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Yes they do and I couldn't be happier! Thanks for weighing in Eric and yes we need to meet up some time, I'll PM you.

The seats are IN! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Finally! Going for a nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) tomorrow!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post May 17 2018, 09:22 PM
Post #705

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Those seats turned out excellent!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 20 2018, 03:53 PM
Post #706

I noted earlier in a post that one of the issues yet to be addressed was the erratic fuel guage, likely meaning the sending unit was faulty. Did a bunch of reading on the subject and looked at as many pictures as I could find and decided to tackle it today being as I ran out of gas last week (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Took it out and then took off the bottom end and there was a wad of brown paper? cardboard? something? stuck at the end. I figure this is not normal and so I thought I would ask here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
Was there something there that is now disintegrated? Was this an added piece of something by a previous owner? It seemed to be wrapped around one wire but really just kind of stuck there at the bottom. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached Image

Tested the float and it in fact will float. Wires looked OK and I read some folks cleaned them with laquer thinner, so I did that too. Copper one looks a bit crooked in places but the float does go up and down with no problem.

Thanks, can't wait to hear!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
moparrob
post May 20 2018, 04:07 PM
Post #707

Member No.: 11,663
Region Association: None

I think you have now officially had your hand in/on each and every component that makes up that car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Frustrating for sure but that car is going to be EXTREMELY reliable and fun to drive for many years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 21 2018, 08:56 AM
Post #708

QUOTE(moparrob @ May 20 2018, 03:07 PM) *

I think you have now officially had your hand in/on each and every component that makes up that car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Frustrating for sure but that car is going to be EXTREMELY reliable and fun to drive for many years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

There are, believe it or not, a few things I have not touched yet. Looking at this junk that was in the sender, it seems as though I need to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I heard back through PM's that the debris I found was nothing they had ever seen before. Based on everything I see, the wires being in tack, and good movement of the float, I will reinstall for further evaluation. Tank is full and guage reads full.

In the mean time I finally remembered to install the steering rack cover I had restored a while back which which I got from Bruce Stone.
Nicely finishes off the bottom of the car. Enjoying the hell out of having my lift! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 22 2018, 08:17 PM
Post #709

Today I decided to install the stock steering wheel I had bought a while back, and then in January had leather wrapped by Oscar (same guy that did my seats and how I met him).
Received the horn ring from mepstein last week! Thanks Mark! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) The missing piece I needed.

Attached Image

Had the Momo previously (came with the car) which is smaller diameter plus thicker hand grip. The turn signal did not cancel with the Momo so I thought it would work now with the part I got from Mark. Not! Everything looks right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) but something isn't... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

Since I have been driving the car with the smaller diameter Momo I now have another problem.
The larger diameter stock wheel plus the seat bottom difference of coming forward more and upward more than the original seat, then add corduroy, makes getting in and out a little more of a challenge. Didn't see that one coming. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Jury is still out and I will do more seat time to see if I can get used to the stock wheel.
Seats are awesome though! Great drive today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post May 22 2018, 08:46 PM
Post #710

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

Well, if you have to get rid of that leather wrapped stock wheel, I suppose I could do you a favor...
+Quote Post
jd74914
post May 23 2018, 12:00 PM
Post #711

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Those seats look awesome!!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 23 2018, 12:52 PM
Post #712

QUOTE(jd74914 @ May 23 2018, 11:00 AM) *

Those seats look awesome!!

Thanks Jim and as Eric9144 recently said in a post "it's amazing what a difference the seats make in the driving experience" Couldn't agree more! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Driving yesterday felt more like a go cart than ever! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I see your avitar of the perfect gaps by your headlight. I am going to aspire to that example and based on the hour or two I spent the other day, that look is not something quickly achieved. Thanks for weighing in.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 23 2018, 01:03 PM
Post #713

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 22 2018, 07:46 PM) *

Well, if you have to get rid of that leather wrapped stock wheel, I suppose I could do you a favor...

Your compassion does not go unnoticed and I truly appreciate the offer. You sir are a true problem solver! People like you are few and far between, you see a situation and immediately come to the rescue. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Seriously, if I decide to list it F/S, I mean "get rid of" I will contact you first! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks for the post! Made my day!
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post May 23 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #714

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ May 23 2018, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 22 2018, 07:46 PM) *

Your compassion does not go unnoticed and I truly appreciate the offer. You sir are a true problem solver! People like you are few and far between, you see a situation and immediately come to the rescue. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Seriously, if I decide to list it F/S, I mean "get rid of" I will contact you first! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks for the post! Made my day!

I am told that selflessness is one of my most redeeming qualities.

Well, I've never actually been told that, but I imagine that someone has thought it sometime in the past. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
defianty
post May 27 2018, 02:53 PM
Post #715

Member No.: 6,621
Region Association: None

I was just browsing Instagram and came across this lovely Light Ivory GT. And then I realized - that's Jim's car! Looks fantastic Jim, hope you enjoyed the run out.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 27 2018, 11:50 PM
Post #716

Stephen, thank you! How cool is that! Talk about a small world.
I have no idea how that works with Instagram but I think it amazing that you saw that picture over in the UK taken just this morning! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Before I even got a chance to get my pics off my camera! Wow!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I took one almost exactly the same and a few others as well. Great turn out and........

Attached Image

Attached Image

I met Eric9144 who lives near by with his very nice original paint silver 1974 2.0 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 28 2018, 10:30 AM
Post #717

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Damn, your cars BOTH look great!!!!!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 29 2018, 03:48 PM
Post #718

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 28 2018, 09:30 AM) *

Damn, your cars BOTH look great!!!!!

I'll say thank you for both of us!
And I have to mention that there is nothing like an original paint car like his. Eric has made some nice tasteful changes but he keeps his options open with the ability to revert back to stock. For instance his Konig seats which look amazingly like Scheeel seats BTW. He still has the originals if he wanted to go back. His paint has some "patina" but who cares.

Mine on the other hand is so far from original it isn't even funny but Eric did like my center pull hand brake, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Fun day! And my car is running great! Still breaking in the motor and exploring higher RPM's So fun to drive!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post May 29 2018, 03:56 PM
Post #719

Decided to try to improve the gaps around the headlights over the weekend. I can't imagine anyone enjoying this fun task. Spent several hours on it and all I can report is that they are closer than they were. Weird shit happens when you mess with trying to adjust them. They may never be perfect!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
eric9144
post May 30 2018, 10:57 PM
Post #720

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

I finally got to meet Jim and the car this past Sunday and I think he's living up to the moniker on both ends--Lucky9146--the car couldn't be in better hands and Jim was clearly the guy meant to be it's steward. Its really, really nice to see the product of all of his hard, meticulous work and damn does it look and sound amazing!

Love a great GT tribute and this really checks the boxes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 34 35 36 37 38 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:03 PM