Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 38 39 40 41 42 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
Lucky9146
post Jul 14 2018, 04:55 PM
Post #781

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

My 914 gets a lot of attention usually being the only one there. Fun drive over too!!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 14 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #782

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jul 14 2018, 06:55 PM) *

My 914 gets a lot of attention usually being the only one there. Fun drive over too!!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

People seem to relate to our 914's. Like a puppy. Though I wouldn't mind having the two previous cars in my garage.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 14 2018, 05:25 PM
Post #783

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jul 14 2018, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Jul 14 2018, 01:36 AM) *

Rennline makes them.

Not sure you mean Rennline makes bullet nosed studs or the titanium nuts?
Rennline appears to only sell "thread in" studs and not the "press in" studs that I am looking for. At least according to their site. Will likely stay with the steel nuts.

Will be going to SwayAWay for studs as soon as I nail down the correct length.
Thanks

Are you going to replace the rears with the hub on the car (I think it can be done) or pull the hub.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jul 14 2018, 05:37 PM
Post #784

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 14 2018, 04:25 PM) *

Rennline makes them.

Rennline appears to only sell "thread in" studs and not the "press in" studs that I am looking for. At least according to their site. Will likely stay with the steel nuts.

Thanks

Are you going to replace the rears with the hub on the car (I think it can be done) or pull the hub.

Hoping to be able to do on the car. Any insight appreciated!
Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 14 2018, 07:01 PM
Post #785

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jul 14 2018, 07:37 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 14 2018, 04:25 PM) *

Rennline makes them.

Thanks

Hoping to be able to do on the car. Any insight appreciated!
Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Here’s a thread on pelican with links to other threads detailing some tips. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...-confusion.html
I don’t know if you will have the same clearances with a 914 trailing arm vs 911.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jul 14 2018, 09:03 PM
Post #786

Finally addressing the Odometer!

The odometer has not worked since I got the car running in late March. Speedometer works just fine.
Usually an odometer that has stopped working is a broken plastic gear. I have never attempted to repair an odometer, but how bad can it be? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

So here goes....................

Attached Image

Once open, I found the main shaft that all the numbers ride on had come partially out of the housing and was no longer in contact with the worm gear at this end.
Cool, no broken gear but now what?

Attached Image

You can see the entire number cylinder has fallen away from the drive cogs at the other end because it was out of the housing.

Attached Image

I realized this metal gear would normally be pressed on the shaft was no longer being driven by the shaft. Also, this gear pressed on feature holds the shaft in place.

Attached Image

Since I was headed to Toolguy's house to pick up the metal wheel nuts, Might as well see what he thought about getting the shaft to drive this gear again.

+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jul 14 2018, 09:13 PM
Post #787

Toolguy suggested inserting a rod of the exact diameter of the shaft to push out the drive shaft and keep the spindle all in tact.

Attached Image

We then placed it in a V block and made small punch marks around the shaft where the gear rides.

Attached Image

Then we drove the shaft back through the housing where it grabbed the gear very well and after a couple tests with a drill driving to turn the speedometer about 60 mph it is good to go!

For some reason i thought the gage face was glass, but it is plastic, so I got that all spiffed up and all the scratches out too. I was able to reinstall the bezel as well!

Many thanks to my buddy Toolguy for your help! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Drove it today to C&C and it works great.
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Jul 15 2018, 12:11 AM
Post #788

Member No.: 11,663
Region Association: None

Awesome! He sounds like a very practical guy. I'm guessing some machining background if he owns V blocks.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jul 15 2018, 10:25 PM
Post #789

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 14 2018, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jul 14 2018, 06:55 PM) *

People seem to relate to our 914's. Like a puppy. Though I wouldn't mind having the two previous cars in my garage.

Mark, my wife loved "Like a puppy"

Also, she made me a copy of Eric9144's rear trunk cover that was made by Garold's mother, and pictured here in black.
Cheers to Garold and his mother (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Eric9144/ Garold's mother's

Attached Image

My wife's prototype here made in blue.

Attached Image

Many, many thanks to Eric9144 for lending us his cover. We will arrange that ride in the 6 hopefully sooner than later. Great seeing you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jul 15 2018, 10:30 PM
Post #790

QUOTE(moparrob @ Jul 14 2018, 11:11 PM) *

Awesome! He sounds like a very practical guy. I'm guessing some machining background if he owns V blocks.

Toolguy is his handle here on world and the perfect handle for him if you ever saw his shop.
Yes, he is a very talented guy with extensive machining background! Always great to see him too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 16 2018, 08:07 PM
Post #791

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

There's plenty of odometer repairs articles. I think Pelican also sells the gears. I replaced mine years ago.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/1...eter_Repair.htm
http://www.odometergears.com/products/Porsche/914+70-76/75
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 17 2018, 06:23 AM
Post #792

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jul 14 2018, 11:13 PM) *

Toolguy suggested inserting a rod of the exact diameter of the shaft to push out the drive shaft and keep the spindle all in tact.

Attached Image

We then placed it in a V block and made small punch marks around the shaft where the gear rides.

Attached Image

Then we drove the shaft back through the housing where it grabbed the gear very well and after a couple tests with a drill driving to turn the speedometer about 60 mph it is good to go!

For some reason i thought the gage face was glass, but it is plastic, so I got that all spiffed up and all the scratches out too. I was able to reinstall the bezel as well!

Many thanks to my buddy Toolguy for your help! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The gears are reproduced by Odo Gears, and pining the shaft helps to give them a bit of bite. It was designed that way though as a fail safe to protect all the mechanism. Re-lube all your gears also the grease in there gets a bit hard after 50 years.

BTW if your looking for it, it is officially called a lead gear.

Good work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jul 17 2018, 12:38 PM
Post #793

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 17 2018, 05:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jul 14 2018, 11:13 PM) *

The gears are reproduced by Odo Gears, and pining the shaft helps to give them a bit of bite. It was designed that way though as a fail safe to protect all the mechanism. Re-lube all your gears also the grease in there gets a bit hard after 50 years.

BTW if your looking for it, it is officially called a lead gear.

Good work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Thanks, Yes I re-lubed and it works great! Just wish I had not put it off for a couple months. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Hopefully I will not need a lead gear and this fix will last, but good to know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The real point I was trying to make with my post was that a lot of people have an odometer stop working and either never address it or send it to a shop for an expensive repair. Most times it is a broken gear and so I felt I dodged a bullet from both a gear replacement, or the expense. Hopefully somebody can use the repair information.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jul 18 2018, 09:06 AM
Post #794

So I was at this Cars and Coffee last weekend and struck up a conversation with a father & son admiring my car. Father had a GT3RS and son had a 944. I would guess the son was maybe 19 but I am not much good at that stuff anymore. The son says to me "have you ever considered getting one of those personal black plates for your car". Of course I told him it has been on order for like 14 weeks now. Someone within ear shot chimed in and said it took 5 months for him! Yikes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

Well I just checked my receipt and it has actually been 16 weeks today! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
Thank you California. The receipt says 8-12 weeks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

I am going to hold off on the reveal until I actually receive it and put it on the car, so you will have to wait to see it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Jul 18 2018, 09:49 AM
Post #795

Let's start a guessing thread for the plate. My candidates:

LKY9146

911KILR

NARP 3.0

ROLLOSX (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jul 18 2018, 09:26 PM
Post #796

QUOTE(moparrob @ Jul 18 2018, 08:49 AM) *

Let's start a guessing thread for the plate. My candidates:

LKY9146

911KILR

NARP 3.0

ROLLOSX (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Man those are all good and very creative guesses but none even close. Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Jul 18 2018, 10:45 PM
Post #797

I have had my plates (in my avatar) since 1979. Actually I let them lapse in 1982 and then got them back again last year!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jul 18 2018, 11:18 PM
Post #798

QUOTE(moparrob @ Jul 18 2018, 09:45 PM) *

I have had my plates (in my avatar) since 1979. Actually I let them lapse in 1982 and then got them back again last year!

Very Nice! On Your turbo maybe? Maybe they were destined for the 914?
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Jul 20 2018, 06:59 PM
Post #799

Yes, they will go on the turbo. Funny thing is that they did start out on my first 914.
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Jul 21 2018, 10:53 PM
Post #800

Hey Jim, for the guy (and the car) that has everything:

Attached Image

914 Factory Headlight Washer System (#34565)
Published: 07/21/2018
$2,500

OEM Headlight Washer System 1970-74 914. Many of the parts are no longer available new and are extremely rare. Included are NOS bumper top, NOS (not tested) pump, NOS (I believe) washer jets, a new (911) switch, NOS reservoir with new cap, NOS relay, new clear tubing, used 944 wiring harness, and used onnector parts. Price reflects completeness of kit, rarity and condition
Winnipeg, MB R3N1M2
Canada

found on PCA website
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 38 39 40 41 42 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:04 AM