Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 40 41 42 43 44 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
mepstein
post Aug 22 2018, 08:30 PM
Post #821

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 22 2018, 09:44 PM) *

Looks really nice. I talk with Rich every once and a while. Known him virtually for year and we do business back and forth. He's a good guy.

Same here. We haven’t met in person but have been trading parts for a couple years. His 914-6 throttle linkage is excellent.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 22 2018, 09:07 PM
Post #822

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 22 2018, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 22 2018, 09:44 PM) *

Looks really nice. I talk with Rich every once and a while. Known him virtually for year and we do business back and forth. He's a good guy.

Same here. We haven’t met in person but have been trading parts for a couple years. His 914-6 throttle linkage is excellent.

I have his 6 conversion mount, nice part! Just got to know him through this experience and he has been great to work with. Really willing to help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Aug 22 2018, 09:28 PM
Post #823

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I had Rich do my oil cooler too, and I'm using his carb/accelerator cable set up.

Good guy!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 26 2018, 12:22 PM
Post #824

Heard from Rich Johnson while I was in Monterey that upon receiving my cooler for repair, it turns out it is from a 1973 911 T and not suited for a 3.0. It is better for a 2.4 or 2.7. He said the main boss that he machines to install the new tube does not have enough meat to machine for the larger diameter tube. I am now getting a reworked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) correct cooler from Rich this coming week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
He made me a deal I couldn't refuse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) The cooler I had on the engine he said was likely restricting oil to the pump because the 3.0 has the larger oil pump. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I firmly believe all things happen for a reason and my leaking hose, leading me to look and find the cracked weld on the cooler, now wrong cooler, potentially saved my excellent running engine from oil starvation. I guess I really am lucky. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Shame on me for not having caught this and thoroughly vetting my cooler.
Pictures of Rich's cooler when it arrives.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 26 2018, 02:22 PM
Post #825

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

That is great news why always having knowledgeable extra eyes are worth their price.
+Quote Post
live free & drive
post Aug 26 2018, 04:09 PM
Post #826

Member No.: 20,159

So does this mean that if you are using, or intending to use, an original 914/6 oil cooler on a 3.0, 3.2 or 3.6 displacement engine you are starving it for oil supply?

Seems like many folks use an original 914/6 cooler - I've never heard about this issue before, anybody else have some knowledge about this?
+Quote Post
a914guy
post Aug 26 2018, 10:01 PM
Post #827

914 Master

Member No.: 11

QUOTE(live free & drive @ Aug 26 2018, 02:09 PM) *

So does this mean that if you are using, or intending to use, an original 914/6 oil cooler on a 3.0, 3.2 or 3.6 displacement engine you are starving it for oil supply?

Seems like many folks use an original 914/6 cooler - I've never heard about this issue before, anybody else have some knowledge about this?

The cooling system design was changed by Porsche as temp. issues were becoming prevalent and the oil pumps became better (higher volume). One of the small changes was the supply side oil cooler tube diameter going from a 20ish OD to about 28mm.

I wouldn't say the smaller stock inlet line from an original six cooler would "starve" an engine but it was designed and changed for a reason.

As for using six coolers on bigger engines and in our conversion community, I bet it's a rarity.
+Quote Post
live free & drive
post Aug 26 2018, 10:42 PM
Post #828

Member No.: 20,159

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd say it fairly significant with about 100% more cross sectional area!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Sep 9 2018, 09:38 PM
Post #829

Got my new oil cooler from Rich Johnson and it looks amazing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Thanks Rich!!
The difference in size of the tube he installs is obvious. A real shame the cooler I had did not have enough real estate to accommodate the larger tube. My repaired cooler on the left and new one on the right. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Back a few posts was a picture of the cracked bracket on my cooler, in case you're just tuning in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Also where I learned I should have a larger delivery tube on the cooler.

Attached Image

Received the cooler at 1:30 PM FedEx, had my hose remade and cooler installed by 8 PM.

Attached Image

My goal was to get the cooler back in time Friday to make it to the hose shop before it closed and get it all reinstalled to attend the San Diego PCA Concours the next morning. Just a spectator but the turn out was fantastic!

Attached Image

I was there to cheer on my buddy Toolguy and his son Matt, who not only won his class, but BEST OF Show! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
pete000
post Sep 9 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #830

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

You were able to replace the cooler with the engine in the car? Don't you have to remove the upper fan shroud to do that?

+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Sep 9 2018, 11:01 PM
Post #831

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

If you have the 'sectioned' oil cooler shroud, you can unscrew that and access everything from the bottom.

It's not simple, but doable.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Sep 10 2018, 12:02 AM
Post #832

QUOTE(pete000 @ Sep 9 2018, 09:31 PM) *

You were able to replace the cooler with the engine in the car? Don't you have to remove the upper fan shroud to do that?

Exactly what I first thought, is that I had to drop the engine, but then I realized that it looked like it was possible and No, I did not have to remove the upper fan shroud.
Had to remove the left side sheet metal and the gray plastic air director on top of the cooler. Both a bugger.

I found a picture below from before the original engine install showing the 2 parts. Was not easy to get them off and on, but it can be done with patience. Thanks for asking.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Sep 12 2018, 02:24 PM
Post #833

Oil cooler reinstalled and leaking oil line are now behind me.

Next up is build a 916 transmission. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Step one completed. Found a rebuilt 1984 915 trans with all new syncros and resealed from a shop in northern CA. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Step two completed. Martin Bott 916 kit on order. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

I see this as a longer term project because there are several hurdles I know. Hope to get some guidance from Steve who has this set up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
pete000
post Sep 12 2018, 02:37 PM
Post #834

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

My early six has that grey cooler shroud riveted on. I think my cooler replacement is going to require the engine drop...Don't want to drill out the OE rivets...

+Quote Post
defianty
post Sep 12 2018, 02:44 PM
Post #835

Member No.: 6,621

That's going to be a great upgrade Jim! Look forward to following you progress with it.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 12 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #836

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 10 2018, 06:02 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Sep 9 2018, 09:31 PM) *

Exactly what I first thought, is that I had to drop the engine, but then I realized that it looked like it was possible and No, I did not have to remove the upper fan shroud.
Had to remove the left side sheet metal and the gray plastic air director on top of the cooler. Both a bugger.

I found a picture below from before the original engine install showing the 2 parts. Was not easy to get them off and on, but it can be done with patience. Thanks for asking.

Attached Image

I did my replacement with engine in,wasn't too bad just takes a while to get to it, interesting point Rich made about the coolers ...I didn't know that,my replacement was a latter one and seemed to be different other than the inlet pipe as I had a gap @ the cooling duct I never had with the original one.
I wasn't happy and thought I could be down on air flow for that reason, I fitted a piece of high temp rubber in the gap,worked out fine and certainly nice to have a large oil leak fixed also (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 12 2018, 03:14 PM
Post #837

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 12 2018, 04:24 PM) *

Oil cooler reinstalled and leaking oil line are now behind me.

Next up is build a 916 transmission. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Step one completed. Found a rebuilt 1984 915 trans with all new syncros and resealed from a shop in northern CA. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Step two completed. Martin Bott 916 kit on order. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

I see this as a longer term project because there are several hurdles I know. Hope to get some guidance from Steve who has this set up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

wow. you are going all in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Sep 13 2018, 08:00 AM
Post #838

QUOTE(pete000 @ Sep 12 2018, 01:37 PM) *

My early six has that grey cooler shroud riveted on. I think my cooler replacement is going to require the engine drop...Don't want to drill out the OE rivets...

Yes I do believe I lucked out with my shroud being a 3.0 and not riveted. Dropping the engine to change an oil cooler would seem a poor design in the bigger scheme of things. I can certainly understand not wanting to drill rivets in your case.
This chart of shrouds has been posted before by others but it clearly shows many have riveted cooler shrouds.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Sep 13 2018, 08:10 AM
Post #839

QUOTE(defianty @ Sep 12 2018, 01:44 PM) *

That's going to be a great upgrade Jim! Look forward to following you progress with it.

Thanks! I am pretty excited about it but fully realize there will be some surprises and expense involved. Like I said, I see it as a long term project. Finding a decent 915 trans was in my opinion the hard part but I suspect there will be many more hard parts. Have a pretty good idea of what's involved but then again the devil is in the detail.
Hope your paint job is progressing well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
defianty
post Sep 13 2018, 08:36 AM
Post #840

Member No.: 6,621

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 13 2018, 03:10 PM) *

I'm going to see it at the weekend, where I expect to see the underside of car blasted too. The painter had another project that he was finishing off so mine has been waiting. It's what I expected though.
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 40 41 42 43 44 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:54 AM