Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 41 42 43 44 45 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
Lucky9146
post Sep 13 2018, 02:37 PM
Post #841

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

Visited Eric Shea at PMB Performance today in SLC. Great guy!

I just paid a visit to my older brother who has lived in SLC for over 30 years. I have always said "next time I make it up the SLC I have to stop in and see Eric Shea". My brother, who is not a car guy, agreed to go to Eric's shop which as it turns out is only 3.4 miles from my brothers house! In the end he really enjoyed going and meeting Eric who as it turns out had worked with my brothers son for many years. Small world!

When we arrived, Eric was in the process packaging up a set of brake lines. It looked like 8 sets of calipers were also ready to go. Eric took the time to tell us all about his business, how it all got started, show us around, while being very gracious with his time.

With my next project being 915/916 trans, it looks like the timing was perfect and Eric and I will be talking more about the axles I will need.

Eric is out growing his shop and has a 5 year back log for restorations with two 914's in process. I really loved his current shop though, cramped yes, but a real shop that work is actually getting done in, functional looking, and he has a great bunch of guys there as well. Thanks Eric (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Sep 16 2018, 09:14 PM
Post #842

Look what showed up yesterday from Germany! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Martin Bott came through with his beautiful 916 kit! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
seanery
post Sep 17 2018, 06:54 AM
Post #843

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

after 15 years, I'm still looking for the "LIKE" button!

Damn, can't wait to see your 916 conversion goes. That's in the cards for me, as well.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Sep 17 2018, 10:57 PM
Post #844

QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 17 2018, 05:54 AM) *

Damn, can't wait to see your 916 conversion goes. That's in the cards for me, as well.

It is a major decision for sure to go this route and the hardest part, in my opinion, was finding the 915 trans. Its seems to be getting harder and harder to find good ones and later ones with the most improvements is the challenge. I have found there is a lot of information out to help there but you still have a lot of decisions to make as well. Fasten your seat belt on cost.
Thanks for looking in and good luck on yours. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Sep 22 2018, 12:45 PM
Post #845

Years ago when I was in the infancy stage of looking for my 914, a friend made a copy of an article in the Feb 1972 Road & Track of a 916 for me.

Being as I am now going down the 916 trans route, I found that crappy xerox copy to read up to see what it might say, and in deed it did show the trans gearing!

About a week ago I decided to look on Ebay to see if I could find an original 1972 magazine just to have. The magazine I received was an excellent copy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Turns out this is George Hussey's car and he has a thread going on it right now where he is going to show it. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=333370

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 22 2018, 01:58 PM
Post #846

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 18 2018, 12:57 AM) *

It is a major decision for sure to go this route and the hardest part, in my opinion, was finding the 915 trans. Its seems to be getting harder and harder to find good ones and later ones with the most improvements is the challenge. I have found there is a lot of information out to help there but you still have a lot of decisions to make as well. Fasten your seat belt on cost.
Thanks for looking in and good luck on yours. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I bought a 72 that needs a rebuild for $900. 2nd gear has chipped teeth but found a good replacement for $100. I will rebuild at the shop so just the cost of seals and hopefully not too many bearings. Just bought 2 more in good condition for 1,800. they were spares and seller sold the car. It's was worth throwing in the corner for that price. .
+Quote Post
Dion
post Sep 24 2018, 08:23 PM
Post #847

RN

Member No.: 2,766

Jim I just read this entire thread page 1 to here. What an adventure! Congrats on a beautiful project.
I had to laugh about the 5 reverse gears. Same thing happened to me, a screaming slow 1st gear and pretty quick reverses hehehe. Car is awesome, love the details. So many nice touches. Look forward to seeing the next chapter. Cheers mate!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Sep 25 2018, 10:47 AM
Post #848

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 22 2018, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 18 2018, 12:57 AM) *

I bought a 72 that needs a rebuild for $900. 2nd gear has chipped teeth but found a good replacement for $100. I will rebuild at the shop so just the cost of seals and hopefully not too many bearings. Just bought 2 more in good condition for 1,800. they were spares and seller sold the car. It's was worth throwing in the corner for that price. .

Hey Mark congrats on the transmissions, nice score, I think you may have a few more connections than I do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) and I paid more for mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) but it is a newer one like I wanted and it had all the syncros and a few sliders replaced by a reputable shop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Sep 25 2018, 11:15 AM
Post #849

QUOTE(Dion @ Sep 24 2018, 07:23 PM) *

Jim I just read this entire thread page 1 to here. What an adventure! Congrats on a beautiful project.
I had to laugh about the 5 reverse gears. Same thing happened to me, a screaming slow 1st gear and pretty quick reverses hehehe. Car is awesome, love the details. So many nice touches. Look forward to seeing the next chapter. Cheers mate!

Hey man thanks for doing that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I have read a few threads as well, it can be a lot of fun. And it sure has been quite the adventure with lots of ups and downs.

Have a buddy in Atlanta who recently joined World and he once told me he read all 542 pages of my thread (there are really only 43) but it seems like it when your done. He now owns 2 914's! Like to believe I played a part in that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Heading to Renn6 next and hope to get some video on Laguna Seca
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 4 2018, 11:01 AM
Post #850

A lesson in NOT getting in a hurry. Well, I finally got around to restoring those seat sliders.

When my Scheel seats were done, I guess I just couldn't wait to see what they looked like in the car. Taking the stock seats out I transferred the seat base mechanisms over to the Scheels and in they went. The seats looked fantastic and I Just started driving it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Most I am sure did not notice my crappy looking sliders because there is really not much visible, but it sure bugged the hell out of me!

Attached Image

Attached Image

And the after pic. I realize this is a small deal but still, details are important, and I also wanted to point out that I ordered and installed the 914Rubber bushing kit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 4 2018, 11:06 AM
Post #851

And I get to look at this view of the passenger seat slider now. Amazingly there still are a few things left to do. Is this car ever finished?

Attached Image

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 4 2018, 11:28 AM
Post #852

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Nov 4 2018, 11:01 AM) *

And the after pic. I realize this is a small deal but still, details are important, and I also wanted to point out that I ordered and installed the 914Rubber bushing kit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Yes, details are important! I totally get it. Those seats will feel even more comfortable now. I love seeing your work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 4 2018, 01:11 PM
Post #853

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 4 2018, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Nov 4 2018, 11:01 AM) *

Yes, details are important! I totally get it. Those seats will feel even more comfortable now. I love seeing your work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Thanks! WAY more comfortable! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
Now I can sleep at night knowing it looks like this under there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 4 2018, 03:01 PM
Post #854

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

What paint did you use? I was thinking of using cerikote since it has a lot of abrasion resistance but doesn’t have any thickness like powder coat or epoxy.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 4 2018, 04:24 PM
Post #855

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 4 2018, 01:01 PM) *

What paint did you use? I was thinking of using cerikote since it has a lot of abrasion resistance but doesn’t have any thickness like powder coat or epoxy.

Hey Mark,
After I blasted my frames, I taped off the edges of the runners (red arrows) that end up inside the two side rails as you never see them, except the last 4 inches on the top side were painted because you do see that. This avoids clogging up the rails with paint. Now I wish I'd taken in process pics.

Attached Image

I used Krylon MAXX Gray primer #9183 and Krylon MAXX Satin Black #9158
Gave me very good results. Thanks for asking. Hope this helps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 10 2018, 09:52 PM
Post #856

Weather was amazing this morning so I couldn't wait to head over to Cars & Coffee in Rancho Santa Fe. Always a fun drive as I take back roads. Met a guy named Darren with a 944, with what I believe he said, has an LS 5, and who works with Steve. He was texting pictures of the car while there and Steve said he knew my car. Small world. Got me to thinking....

I am for the most part the only 914 that shows up and my car always gets a lot of love. It is a small venue and basically a main drag of a very small town. Wondering if Steve, Oscar, Larmo63, SoCcalandy, 914toy, Siverson, Effutro101, Jim Hoyland, Eric9144, 76-914, Cal44, Mmichalik, 73-914kid, Fatboy007, 9147T3, and others might amble over some Saturday morning? Lots of great cars nice atmosphere and I would say the majority that show up are Porsche. PM with interest.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Nov 10 2018, 10:37 PM
Post #857

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Small world!! Darren is sending me pictures of your car and I’m sending him pictures of Cobras at my Cars & Coffee. He is quite the fabricator and has a nice Cobra as well as the 944. I don’t know about the other OC guys, but I would love to check out your Cars & Coffee.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Nov 11 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #858

Member No.: 21,596

Sounds interesting, err, what time do it start?
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 11 2018, 10:04 AM
Post #859

QUOTE(914Toy @ Nov 11 2018, 07:09 AM) *

Sounds interesting, err, what time do it start?

Hey Keith , guess I left that part out! Usually 8-10 but this last week quite a few were there when I arrived at 7:45. Anybody who decides to come let me know.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Nov 14 2018, 03:43 PM
Post #860

Member No.: 21,596

What is the address?
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 41 42 43 44 45 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:01 AM