Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 45 46 47 48 49 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
Lucky9146
post Jun 7 2019, 08:15 AM
Post #921

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

I just received an email from Road Scholars with latest issue, that has toward the bottom of the article a picture of my car exiting the event. What a great day and how lucky to get a picture in the magazine. Will try to post link to article. https://roadscholars.com/luftgekuhlt-2019-goes-hollywood?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Jun 7 2019, 07:50 PM
Post #922

Member No.: 11,663
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jun 7 2019, 07:15 AM) *

I just received an email from Road Scholars with latest issue, that has toward the bottom of the article a picture of my car exiting the event. What a great day and how lucky to get a picture in the magazine. Will try to post link to article. https://roadscholars.com/luftgekuhlt-2019-goes-hollywood?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

Attached Image

Wow, just wow. What a beauty.
+Quote Post
flat4guy
post Jun 7 2019, 09:09 PM
Post #923

Member No.: 20,484
Region Association: Northern California

Love your car
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jun 9 2019, 06:47 AM
Post #924

QUOTE(flat4guy @ Jun 7 2019, 08:09 PM) *

Love your car

Thanks! Much appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
It is a hoot to drive and one of the most fun cars I have ever owned.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jun 9 2019, 07:11 AM
Post #925

I need to finish up on the transmission that was completed almost a week ago.

Last Monday 9 am sharp I was back to the shop to finish things up.

This is a picture of the inner support block the shift console mates to.

Attached Image

The hole for the reverse rod needed to be opened up and my guy came up with this cool approach by taking a shaft and putting a sharp corner on it making it a shaver. If you try to push it into the side of the hole while pushing in and out. Very cool idea and worked well!

Attached Image

Ring gear now on the proper side for a 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Since trans is pictured upside down, that vent tube at the bottom needs to be rotated 180 deg since the trans will now be the opposite direction from a 911.
And this is correctly positioned now, failure to do this will result in oil coming out of the top of the box.

Attached Image

I had read that Lock-tite should be applied to the reverse rod screw. Done and hope it works.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jun 9 2019, 07:31 AM
Post #926

No gasket is supplied with the shift console so we used Lock-tite 574

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Nose cone on and home we go

Attached Image

Step 1 find transmission
Step 2 buy Martin Bott 916 kit
Step 3 find a shop to do the work
Step 4 actually install the kit
Step 5 look at how cool it is!
Step 6 figure it out from here with the help of Steve and others (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 9 2019, 05:09 PM
Post #927

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

I hope they used loctite on this screw. It backed out on me and another person mentioned the same thing in another thread.
Pro or con I swapped it out with a 914 shift rod tapered screw.

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 10 2019, 11:07 AM
Post #928

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Drooling over that.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Dec 30 2019, 05:44 PM
Post #929

OH MY! Last post June 9th, I wish I could say I have my 915 trans installed but life has gotten in the way and unfortunately it is not! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

A small bit of headway in the form of purchasing a 1972 911 shifer off Pelican is about as far as I've gotten. BTW that selection is thanks to Steve as he had been trying to sort out his shifting problem and came about the 1972 shifter as the answer. Apparently it has a wider neutral needed for this set up and is one year only part. So I will happily follow his lead.

And I should say I owe Steve a huge thank you for his consistent plentiful advice and occasional prodding I need. Thanks @steve (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

Much has happened NON 914 since last June but I was able to get the 914 to Werks Reunion Monterey this past August. What a beautiful day and I registered for judged mostly to get the parking on the lawn. Met up with the previous owner there as well. Always great to see him and he has been such a great supporter of what I have done with the car. @moparrob

Attached Image

Have made several cars and coffee's locally and am usually the only 914 around which is kinda fun in a way but I would like to see more 914's come out.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Really enjoying this car, to say the least and am having a hard time taking it off the street to do the trans but I remain committed.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 30 2019, 08:55 PM
Post #930

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Good to see it again with Six Power....like I have said before , last time I saw it was at Eurotech in Washington State.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jul 13 2020, 04:32 PM
Post #931

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

How's that transmission coming along (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 7 2021, 10:07 PM
Post #932

My my my where has the time gone? I was looking through some of the latest Garage posts this morning and came across @eric9144 PMS built "Big Laguna" thread and realized after reviewing every page I had totally missed this thread.

How does that happen? Well for me it has been quite the year and I don't mean all the Covid stuff but I was pulled in a lot of different directions, mostly good. We have fortunately not had Covid although son in law did (mild case just quarantine).

I am going to post some of the things that happened in the next several posts as I gather up what I can find pictures of.

So to start, in reviewing Eric's thread, it reminded me that we had participated in the Julian drive together October 24, 2020 and met up with the cars that started out well north of us. It was great to see and meet some of the guys like Steve and Oscar and Keith. There was a cruise thread where many of us posted pictures at the time but I had not taken the opportunity to post anything here and wish I would have. So here are my fav's. BTW Eric was tough to keep up with!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 7 2021, 10:34 PM
Post #933

It's not like I totally missed everything but I wasn't checking all the latest postings like I used to. I do know one thing and that this is a great site with a bunch of great people. I saw many very compassionate threads, Oscar's Christmas give away. (I did manage to score one of the prizes, thanks again Oscar), and a lot of hard work and good progress by many.

Continuing on,
I saw in Eric's thread he had tackled his roof, texture and all, and it came out great! That reminded me I had bought a spare roof at one of Bruces swap meets because I wanted a smooth roof like I had seen at Luft 6 that I just could not get out of my mind. I did not want to commit my roof so now I have choices.

So in Mar 2020 I started by filling the rain troughs sanding it down to primer while avoiding getting into the fiberglass.

These are the only pictures I can find so far and I guess I will have to take a picture of the finished product and post tomorrow! All I remember is there was a lot of wet sanding and re-primering.

I know, filling the troughs with Bondo may not be the recommended method but it worked fairly well. More pictures to follow.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 7 2021, 11:55 PM
Post #934

We called this the "Covid Project" which was my wife and I completely rebuilding this deck I had originally built in 1988. It was tired and rotting and of course had a few termites. Worst of all it had "occupants" under it from time to time over the years attracted by my neighbors fruit and nut trees. Lots of clean up of nut shells.

It is 28 ft long. We started in April 2020 and it took 6 months to finish working pretty steady. What you can't see is under that deck is all cement to the tune of about 160 90# bags of Redicrete which we used a mixer to mix and wheel barrow in. I doubled the 2 X 6 and some 4 X6 stringers spaced to every 12 inches and redid all the footings to support 3/4' Exterior Plywood with thin set Hardiboard laid in herringbone pattern and then thin set 6" X 24" tile. Lost count of how many decking screws I put in. Should be there long after I'm gone! I won't bore you with all the in process but suffice it to say it is now designed so no varmints can get under it. I see now that I posted it the last facer board was not installed yet.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Apr 8 2021, 09:24 AM
Post #935

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Very nice!! I know our deck is home to many rats and drive our Aussies crazy.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 8 2021, 09:45 AM
Post #936

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 8 2021, 08:24 AM) *

Very nice!! I know our deck is home to many rats and drive our Aussies crazy.

Hey Steve! Thanks. Yeah I was trying not to say rats (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif), yup those and raccoons, squirrels, and rabbits too! But no more!

Thanks for not bringing up the 915 transmission, it has just been on the back burner, and especially since I got the 901 shifting so well by addressing some looseness in the linkage plus all the other things that got in the way that I plan to post here. I was hoping to catch up with you on the drive May22nd, but have other commitments. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 8 2021, 10:02 AM
Post #937

Pictures shot this morning of the smooth gloss black Targa Top I refinished as a spare. It was way, way, way more work than I anticipated. Many primer coats and wet sand, plus many paint coats and wet sand to achieve this finish. I'm not one to give up!

Reflection of the ceiling of my patio cover!
Attached Image

Love the slick top look and it will never see rain, at least that's the plan.

That blemish looking thing in the upper right corner is actually a reflection of a tree out in the yard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 8 2021, 10:07 AM
Post #938

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Very nice. Looks like black glass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 8 2021, 09:04 PM
Post #939

I am realizing I neglected to post some things that happened before Covid hit so in late Jan 2020 I was able to participate in the Local Dealer Porsche 70th Anniversary Cars & Coffee. Billed at the time as the "Inaugural Annual Dealer Cars & Coffee", sadly the follow on second was not to materialize earlier this year with everything getting pushed out or cancelled.

How about this red carpet treatment. It was a highly attended event and done up right Dealer style. I think there were 2 other 914's there.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Apr 8 2021, 09:39 PM
Post #940

In March 2020 I was extremely fortunate to attend Amelia Island Concours and Werks Reunion and I have to say that this all wasn't cancelled was a miracle!

While on my way up from my daughters to Amelia, the Brumos exhibit had not been open too long and I got a ticket to that. If you get the chance, when things open up more it is truly great. The Brumos 914 was not there at the time as it was at the Concours but the cars there you can walk right up to, no ropes. My God a 550 Spyder and a 917 it was like Porsche heaven at least for me.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 45 46 47 48 49 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:26 PM