Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche Panamera: the 4th Porsche comes 2009
Gustl
post Mar 1 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #21

914 enthusiast & historian

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Mar 2 2005, 05:59 AM)
I wish they would get back into having a serious factory race program.  

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 2 2005, 05:23 AM
Post #22

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Why not next year the specs sound like an Audi A8 - or that over Priced VW. thou sitting in hte back set of each of these cars and streching out is nice for my 6'2" frame.

Pretty simple really take an A8 chassis - slap a QuadTurbo V10 in it and run with the big dogs. Just reskin it. Driving an A8 makes think hte thing can do anything. Now if I could just get any audi with a TDI and quattro in the US I would be a happy guy.

But I like it if I had the $$$$$$$$$$$ and did not mind the depriciation I would get one chances are I will wait 20 years and pick one up on hte used market. Lets see 2009 + 20 years yeah a retirement present. DOAH!
+Quote Post
Pnambic
post Mar 2 2005, 06:57 AM
Post #23

Honk if you like obscene gestures!

Member No.: 546
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Mar 1 2005, 09:45 PM)
Comparing a Cayenne to a 911 is ridiculous.
I just hope Porsche doesn't stretch themselves too thin production wise like Mercedes has. Around 1990 Mercedes started making so many different models their quality control went down the crapper. This is what happens when pofit is a higher priority than quality.
Cheers, Elliot

I thought it was absurd for Porsche to build an SUV at first too, but from what I've read, comparing a Cayenne to pretty much any other truck is just as ridiculous as comparing it to a 911. I haven't driven either one, so I can't say for sure, but from what I've read, most complaints lodged against the Cayenne that I've read have come from Porsche fans that have not even driven it. Maybe I'm just not reading the right sites, and not getting all the info, but the reviews I've read from people that have driven it have been pretty darn good.

That said, the sport sedan market is probably going to be a much tougher segment to dominate. The Audi's, MB's, BMW's, Maserati's, Jag's, VW's, etc, etc, etc have flooded the market with so much already and they have already built a loyal following of customers. It'll be Porsche's task to lure them away.

I hope they do well, cuz I want the company to still be around and making great sports cars down the road so I can still have awesome 20 and 30 year old used cars I can afford... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I agree 100% with the comparison to MB. They seemed to lose their focus and its really biting them now. Maybe Porsche noticed this as well and will do whatever they can to avoid the same mistakes. I sure hope so.
+Quote Post
i love porsche
post Mar 2 2005, 07:20 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 2,030
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Mar 1 2005, 08:59 PM)

I wish they would get back into having a serious factory race program. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_flagge24.gif)

and they are within the next two or so years!

back into LMP1!!!
+Quote Post
startsw/p
post Mar 2 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #25

born with a wrench in one hand and a beer in the other...

Member No.: 3,656

[B]I think I would have to special order an aroma therapy dispenser that belches burning 30 weight in my face so I wouldn't miss my dear 914. Ahhh, the sweet smell of vintage heater box on a cold morning..... right up there with burning undercoating during restoration.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Mar 2 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #26

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Mar 1 2005, 10:45 PM)
Around 1990 Mercedes started making so many different models their quality control went down the crapper. This is what happens when pofit is a higher priority than quality.
Cheers, Elliot

My family buys 2 Mercedes every other year. My mother get's the big convertible, and my dad gets the big sedan. Owners since 1974.

Mercedes are now mid line Chryslers, and that's too bad. Next upgrade is BMW, I hear... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

I wish I could drag the people responsible out by the nose, and beat them to death on TV.

M
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 2 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #27

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE (TimT @ Mar 1 2005, 06:13 PM)
I like it,

The Cayenne is impressive, I drove one last week and was nice!! , the new mid model boxter or hard top look nice

whats wrong with Porsche expanding their offerings?

Race on Sunday sell on Monday.....sound familiar? That's what is wrong. Porsche USED to be about performance cars only,yes even the water humpers to some extent. The recent $$$$ grab to get into the trendy market drove them to stop racing,WTF? For a company who built their rep on racing, this has many of us a little annoyed. Go drive a 67S, (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) or a 356 carrera coupe, or a 914 6GT and see what these cars are REALLY about. I may just be getting old (at 31) but I just don't care for the "company" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/flipa.gif) anymore. I'll go sit in the corner and pout now
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 3 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #28

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Whats not racing about the gt3?

Or this new car, Ya, sure there thinking 4 door... but ignore the four door, and consider the possibilities... Where could this car go in a race setting....

+Quote Post
redshift
post Mar 3 2005, 02:01 AM
Post #29

QUOTE (scotty b @ Mar 2 2005, 10:45 PM)
I may just be getting old (at 31)

No, you are getting old at 35, and not a day later.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

M
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 3 2005, 02:05 AM
Post #30

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

this is the one for the guy who's wife has told him "when porsche makes a car with 4 doors, you can get one".

k
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 3 2005, 05:54 AM
Post #31

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 3 2005, 01:40 AM)
Whats not racing about the gt3?

Or this new car, Ya, sure there thinking 4 door... but ignore the four door, and consider the possibilities... Where could this car go in a race setting....

there is a big difference between the factory selling production race cars to customers (GT3) and the factory running its own cars, ideally in the prototype class.

i'd love to know what factory memo I_love_Porsche has seen that documents the factory's return LMP1... there have been unsubstantiated rumours for years, and i'll believe it when i see it...

front-engine rear-drive water-cooled V8.... Hmmm -- sounds like a natural for NASCAR. we'll know for sure when Porsche starts building cars here. (i ain't holdin' my breath...)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Mar 3 2005, 06:19 AM
Post #32

NASCAR? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

I dare them to take a right.

M
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 3 2005, 06:34 AM
Post #33

rich herzog

QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 3 2005, 07:19 AM)
NASCAR?
I dare them to take a right.

c'mon up to Watkins Glen and watch 'em go. they slither around the right turns as well as any of the sporty cars do, and with less downforce. (Sears Point too...)

'course they run the sissy "short course" at The Glen, but i think that's more a factor of the audience attention span. might be fun to redefine "The Big One" to see 'em all piled up in the toe of the boot tho ...
+Quote Post
redshift
post Mar 3 2005, 07:14 AM
Post #34

Oh yeah, nothing like an early wreck in NASCAR to take out half the field. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

We now go to Bob, live in the pits, with Richard Petty:

TV guy: Richard, what happend!? Turn one looked like a mess, took out 23 cars! That has to be some kind of record here at Daytona!?

R. Petty: Yeah Bob, rough day. I tell ya, I saw the pace car run down the row, the flag came out, I gave her the juice, and right there at one, I dropped my beer, and when I leaned down to grab it, I dropped my cigarette between my legs! Wow! Thank God for nomex cod pieces!

M
+Quote Post
charlesmac
post Mar 3 2005, 07:39 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 2,264

I have seen an in car shot of Dick Trickle smoking a cigarette during caution laps. Your not far from the truth.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Mar 3 2005, 07:43 AM
Post #36

LMAO!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

m
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Mar 3 2005, 01:07 PM
Post #37

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

Anybody know what the precursor to the humvee was?????

It was a Lamborghini-----

If memory serves me right--way back in the early 80's Lambo had this new 4 wheel drive truck they were considering making--had a few running examples--all with V-12's---they touted it as the most powerful, fastest 4 wheel drive off road intentional vehicle ever--then it faded away--

Then a few years later AM General was cranking out humvees----looked almost identical to the lambo model---

Maybe someone with more knowledge on this will chime in....
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 3 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #38

rich herzog

QUOTE (jwalters @ Mar 3 2005, 02:07 PM)
Anybody know what the precursor to the humvee was?????
It was a Lamborghini--

i do vaguely recall the Lambo...

but i slightly more vividly remember the Mercedes Geländewagen - i've actually seen a couple of those in person around the Reno/Tahoe area.

same vein. big, powerful, astonishingly expensive (i saw a used one listed for $65k and that was 10 years ago...) very capable offroad.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Mar 3 2005, 02:29 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 3 2005, 03:54 AM)
i'd love to know what factory memo I_love_Porsche has seen that documents the factory's return LMP1... there have been unsubstantiated rumours for years, and i'll believe it when i see it...

A peek at recent Lola internal documents and accounts receivable would be most interesting....

Keep your eye on the LMPs!
+Quote Post
maf914
post Mar 3 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #40

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

Lola and Porsche? Hmmm...

I wonder who designed and/or built the V-10 Porsche LMP that was tested but never raced?

It has been written that Dallara designed the Lancia LC2 Group C, the Ferrari 333SP and the was closely involved with the Audi R8 LMP. Of course the Dallara LMP is not bad.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 01:34 AM