Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 75 2.0 engine ran great yesterday, Today it doesn't.
Stacks914
post Aug 21 2015, 01:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,582
Region Association: None

Anyway as title states my engine ran great yesterday. Today I spend all day re wiring a few wires on harness and fixing all the electricle bits I had rigged and got car in a suitable condition to drive. Well I get in start car and it runs briefly then dies. Then I restart and it sounds like it is running on one cylinder. I give it a little gas other cylinders do not seem to be firing so I let off gas and car dies. I turn on the starter and its turning fast and sounds like it has no compression. Engine will putter a bit like it wants to start but doesn't. Local engine guy worth a shit is 2 months out. Any ideas?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Aug 21 2015, 03:46 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

Carbs or FI?
+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Aug 21 2015, 04:30 AM
Post #3

F.i.
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post Aug 21 2015, 05:19 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Aug 20 2015, 11:22 PM) *

Anyway as title states my engine ran great yesterday. Today I spend all day re wiring a few wires on harness and fixing all the electricle bits I had rigged and got car in a suitable condition to drive. Well I get in start car and it runs briefly then dies. Then I restart and it sounds like it is running on one cylinder. I give it a little gas other cylinders do not seem to be firing so I let off gas and car dies. I turn on the starter and its turning fast and sounds like it has no compression. Engine will putter a bit like it wants to start but doesn't. Local engine guy worth a shit is 2 months out. Any ideas?

The same happened to me, ran ok then suddenly would not start. After wasting a lot of time, 2 weeks checking the FI I finally took members advice and did a compression then leakdown test. Discovered no compression on 2 cylinders which turned out to be dropped valve seats.
This may not be your problem as you have been playing with the electrics but keep it in mind, a leak down test or compression test will rule out head problems.

Good luck
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 21 2015, 11:22 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You check all the simple stuff? All spark plug wires on? How is your cap & rotor. Had the cap pop loose once. Acted the same way. First check your cap & rotor. From there check each wire to see if it is getting spark. Next check your fuel to each injector.

I seriously doubt you dropped a couple valve seats in a day when it ran great yesterday. Without some real obvious noise pointing to that. Checking your compression is always a good idea to though. Go to harbor freight to buy a compression tester if you don't have one. While you won't use it a lot. Well worth the harbor freight price.

Once you've ruled out things above. Report back & we'll go from there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Aug 21 2015, 12:28 PM
Post #6

Got my marching orders !! Thanks guys I have a compression tester. After 6 weeks of messing with this engine I think I need to check myself into the psych ward. I am worried I am gonna wind up sitting in a padded room mumbling "air cooled, I just had to do it myself" over and over! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I'll check it out and report!!!!
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 21 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #7

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I bumped a connector in the engine bay one time without realizing it. Took a bunch of troubleshooting the no-start to figure out that the head temp sensor connector had gotten unplugged.

Check all your electrical connections. Are they actually connected?

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:17 PM