Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 75 2.0 engine ran great yesterday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stacks914
Anyway as title states my engine ran great yesterday. Today I spend all day re wiring a few wires on harness and fixing all the electricle bits I had rigged and got car in a suitable condition to drive. Well I get in start car and it runs briefly then dies. Then I restart and it sounds like it is running on one cylinder. I give it a little gas other cylinders do not seem to be firing so I let off gas and car dies. I turn on the starter and its turning fast and sounds like it has no compression. Engine will putter a bit like it wants to start but doesn't. Local engine guy worth a shit is 2 months out. Any ideas?

JawjaPorsche
Carbs or FI?
Stacks914
F.i.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Aug 20 2015, 11:22 PM) *

Anyway as title states my engine ran great yesterday. Today I spend all day re wiring a few wires on harness and fixing all the electricle bits I had rigged and got car in a suitable condition to drive. Well I get in start car and it runs briefly then dies. Then I restart and it sounds like it is running on one cylinder. I give it a little gas other cylinders do not seem to be firing so I let off gas and car dies. I turn on the starter and its turning fast and sounds like it has no compression. Engine will putter a bit like it wants to start but doesn't. Local engine guy worth a shit is 2 months out. Any ideas?

The same happened to me, ran ok then suddenly would not start. After wasting a lot of time, 2 weeks checking the FI I finally took members advice and did a compression then leakdown test. Discovered no compression on 2 cylinders which turned out to be dropped valve seats.
This may not be your problem as you have been playing with the electrics but keep it in mind, a leak down test or compression test will rule out head problems.

Good luck
JRust
You check all the simple stuff? All spark plug wires on? How is your cap & rotor. Had the cap pop loose once. Acted the same way. First check your cap & rotor. From there check each wire to see if it is getting spark. Next check your fuel to each injector.

I seriously doubt you dropped a couple valve seats in a day when it ran great yesterday. Without some real obvious noise pointing to that. Checking your compression is always a good idea to though. Go to harbor freight to buy a compression tester if you don't have one. While you won't use it a lot. Well worth the harbor freight price.

Once you've ruled out things above. Report back & we'll go from there biggrin.gif
Stacks914
Got my marching orders !! Thanks guys I have a compression tester. After 6 weeks of messing with this engine I think I need to check myself into the psych ward. I am worried I am gonna wind up sitting in a padded room mumbling "air cooled, I just had to do it myself" over and over! screwy.gif I'll check it out and report!!!!
Dave_Darling
I bumped a connector in the engine bay one time without realizing it. Took a bunch of troubleshooting the no-start to figure out that the head temp sensor connector had gotten unplugged.

Check all your electrical connections. Are they actually connected?

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.