Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 100-Point Concours /6., Does anyone here own one? Does it exist?
Series9
post Aug 25 2015, 09:56 AM
Post #1

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

I would love to see a bunch of pictures of a car that you guys consider to be the best concours /6.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gms
post Aug 25 2015, 11:08 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Series9 @ Aug 25 2015, 10:56 AM) *

I would love to see a bunch of pictures of a car that you guys consider to be the best concours /6.

Honestly AA has the nicest original 914/6 I have seen
it is a 1971 Willow green car that has less than 10K miles, it was shown in the UK by its former owner
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 26 2015, 12:33 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Look at SoCalAndy's yellow M471 clone & Dave/toolguy's silver narrow body - both 70 -6's - at any of the SoCal/Zone 8 Concours topics for what I feel are the top dawgs out here in SoCal. Both are full restos by members on here.

PS - Also the guy with the last or near last 72 -6 who won Parade a year or few ago who was posted on here is excellent.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 26 2015, 06:54 PM
Post #4

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

"100-point Concours /6"
Doubtful that such a vehicle exists. Those cars are 43 years old min. Doubtful that even the Factory Museum has one.

You're asking for 100 point "concours". That means that there has never been any repaint of any exterior body, engine, suspension, interior components AND that everything is perfectly conditioned (not refurbished) as when delivered.
Yep, there are sixes out there that are gorgeous, delectable, and spotless. But all of these cars (correct me if you can produce a vehicle that is 100% original AND 100% concours) have had to have partial/full repaints, engine swaps, interior mods, panel replaced, etc. There goes the "originality". Clone - no originality. 3.6 motor - no originality. No Factory installed flares (steel or plastic) - no originality.

Lots of other gigs possible too. But, why the question about 100 point six? It's a Holy Grail that doesn't exist. Why not look into ANY six that can score a REAL 90 point or higher concours in originality. Let's see some of them, because I know they are out there.
P
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 26 2015, 07:43 PM
Post #5

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

smg's M-471 just because he's so anal about his cars. The problem is does not and will not ever have it's original engine. It does have a Correct year'd -6 engine to Concour quality. Add the Provinance

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Series9
post Aug 31 2015, 05:59 PM
Post #6

The basis of the question is simple.

I've been building 914s for a long time, but I have always done it my way and not worried about originality.

I have a /6 in the shop right now that has been entrusted to me for an original-ish restoration and I'm simply studying.

I openly admit that I'm not an expert in concours matters and I'm trying to do the best job I can.

Detailed pictures of cars that win would be very helpful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Sep 3 2015, 07:34 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

These pics are pulled from various O&E threads. Excusing for the moment and incorrect radio (which can be easily back-dated) and the protective mats in some cars, these interior photos depict very OEM /6s

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Sep 3 2015, 07:51 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

More photos from the O&E threads.....all /6s....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Sep 3 2015, 07:53 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

....and more......

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 3 2015, 09:49 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 26 2015, 07:54 PM) *

Lots of other gigs possible too. But, why the question about 100 point six? It's a Holy Grail that doesn't exist. Why not look into ANY six that can score a REAL 90 point or higher concours in originality. Let's see some of them, because I know they are out there.
P

I am sticking by my answer, the willow green -6 from AA, very low mileage and immaculately maintained

Attached Image
+Quote Post
gcrotvik
post Sep 12 2015, 01:54 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 11,134
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

One major part of concourse restorations is making sure every parts is correct, as delivered from the factory. Every nut, bolt, screw should be new, or refurbed as new with the correct finish. When in question as to what is correct, consult this forum or experts in the field. Take your time to make sure every step (body/metal work, paint, etc) is correct. It's difficult to go back and correct something after you are onto another part of the restore. In the end, it's very satisfying IMHO.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Sep 18 2015, 04:07 PM
Post #12

Thanks for the replies. Those pictures will, most certainly help.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Oct 1 2015, 04:09 PM
Post #13

Small Member

Member No.: 633

Pat is 100% correct. I have 2 unrestored/totally original "100 point" cars (not p-cars), that even in their absolute prime, never received more than 98.5 points.

Nothing is perfect - even if it has never been altered from the day it was delivered.

and on a side note, they are awful to own. They cant be driven hardly at all. They just take up space until they move on to the next guy someday. They are just investments that take up a ton of room - no fun.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 7 2015, 06:58 PM
Post #14

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(gms @ Sep 3 2015, 09:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 26 2015, 07:54 PM) *

P

I am sticking by my answer, the willow green -6 from AA, very low mileage and immaculately maintained

Attached Image

Well, I guess I have to backtrack a little here. If the AA car is truly 100% original, then that should be considered a benchmark for other whackos. Looks to be one of the rarest,...BUT, is it 100% ORIGINAL. No chips or flaws? And just what is 100% original? I will accept that any panel respray or repair renders a car unoriginal (big departure for me), but what about chips or repaired dents? Technically, originality has been destroyed if they are repaired or left alone.
My point is this...unless the vehicle has been placed in a bubble from the factory, and never driven, it's impossible to call it "original". And what the hell does the term "restored to original" mean? To me it means "restored", and that is a good thing. Just don't refer to it as "original'
When my 914 comes up for sale, it will be noted that it has had 8 out of 9 panels resprayed (he 10th panel was left intact and used a basis for adding orange-peel.
But that makes it "UNORIGINAL". Nice, but unoriginal.
So that's me point. Stop laying on accolades about a car that cannot be "original", except in very few cases.
"Restored to correct configuration" would make me drool about a car. "Factory original" condition is not necessarily bad but I'd have to spend 3-4 hours on a car like that to approve it.
My nickel
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Oct 7 2015, 08:56 PM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The AA 914 had the interior changed and changed back to brown..most old cars have a past not always told..

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...256734&st=0
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 04:12 AM