Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> suspension gurus--, need help please
jwalters
post Mar 3 2005, 12:02 PM
Post #1

Sooo Close.......

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Hi guys--here is my newest problem:

I am ready to begin installing my rear suspension and came across this quandry--

In the pic, the left arm is from my '72--the right arm and spacer washer are from my '74--

Notice on the '74 that it has this spacer washer, which is supposed to be tack welded to the inside of the arm--

On my '72, non of the arms have this piece and the ears on the chassis do not either--of which the '74 does..

I measured all my arms and trunnion tubes and they are all the same dimension--

What am I missing here--it seems as though my '72 ran just fine w/o them--should I not worry and just go ahead and install the trailing arms as they came out???

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 3 2005, 04:07 PM
Post #2

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That washer doesn't belong there...

I have two that are like "brand new" and they don't have a washer welded in. My guess is that was someone's "fix" for a wobbly ear.

Want these?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BigD9146gt
post Mar 3 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #3

OCD member

Member No.: 3,502
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

I agree with Eric, it looks like a half-ass fix....and those aren't in the PET micro film either. But, its not a bad idea if your on the track alot pushing some major power/tyres.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Mar 3 2005, 04:18 PM
Post #4

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (BigD9146gt @ Mar 3 2005, 03:16 PM)
I agree with Eric, it looks like a half-ass fix....and those aren't in the PET micro film either. But, its not a bad idea if your on the track alot pushing some major power/tyres.

IF you do a better job of welding (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Mar 3 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #5

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Thanks for the input guys--I thought it looked really hokie--when I put the washer up to my swingarm and looked at how it sat on there--all of the forces would ride only on the washer lip the the trunnion tube. That left a wide open space of about 3/16" where the sus. bushing would not even come close to touching the mounts themselves.

That is a tremendous amount of forces being transmitted thru that small bolt--and not spread out thru the bushing

Thanks for the offer Eric--but the ones from my driver car are in good shape and how ya'll described--those muffed up ones are from my donor car--but thanks again!

Cheers (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 04:19 PM