Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: suspension gurus--
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
biggrin.gif Hi guys--here is my newest problem:

I am ready to begin installing my rear suspension and came across this quandry--

In the pic, the left arm is from my '72--the right arm and spacer washer are from my '74--

Notice on the '74 that it has this spacer washer, which is supposed to be tack welded to the inside of the arm--

On my '72, non of the arms have this piece and the ears on the chassis do not either--of which the '74 does..

I measured all my arms and trunnion tubes and they are all the same dimension--

What am I missing here--it seems as though my '72 ran just fine w/o them--should I not worry and just go ahead and install the trailing arms as they came out???

Eric_Shea
That washer doesn't belong there...

I have two that are like "brand new" and they don't have a washer welded in. My guess is that was someone's "fix" for a wobbly ear.

Want these?

BigD9146gt
I agree with Eric, it looks like a half-ass fix....and those aren't in the PET micro film either. But, its not a bad idea if your on the track alot pushing some major power/tyres.
bondo
QUOTE (BigD9146gt @ Mar 3 2005, 03:16 PM)
I agree with Eric, it looks like a half-ass fix....and those aren't in the PET micro film either. But, its not a bad idea if your on the track alot pushing some major power/tyres.

IF you do a better job of welding smile.gif
jwalters
biggrin.gif Thanks for the input guys--I thought it looked really hokie--when I put the washer up to my swingarm and looked at how it sat on there--all of the forces would ride only on the washer lip the the trunnion tube. That left a wide open space of about 3/16" where the sus. bushing would not even come close to touching the mounts themselves.

That is a tremendous amount of forces being transmitted thru that small bolt--and not spread out thru the bushing

Thanks for the offer Eric--but the ones from my driver car are in good shape and how ya'll described--those muffed up ones are from my donor car--but thanks again!

Cheers beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.