Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> *Build - Last 3%* - Getting close to running!, Build Thread - Additional Pictures added of car...
Cracker
post Sep 4 2015, 02:51 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I realize this will not be everyone's cup of tea or how they would have executed it - I'm ok with that... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The car is a plated dual purpose car and I wanted to keep it all steel - as much as possible. The hood is glass. All of the electrical run in one bundle along the passenger rocker...all fuel and hydraulic lines run in the console tunnel.

PS: I updated an old thread...just new pictures.

T

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Sep 4 2015, 03:09 PM
Post #2

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Very cool! I like the cleanliness and ease of troubleshooting with your power distribution panel. The 90 degree shrink wrap connectors are a nice touch too!

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to go the relay route instead of using a PDM? What are you using as an engine controller?
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 4 2015, 03:40 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Very nice! I love cannon plugs.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 4 2015, 03:48 PM
Post #4

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

What, no Artificial Horizon or Altimeter? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Very GA in appearance. Clean. Are those used circuit breakers used or did you spring for new ones? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif)
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Sep 4 2015, 04:34 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 15,674

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 4 2015, 05:48 PM) *

What, no Artificial Horizon or Altimeter? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Very GA in appearance. Clean. Are those circuit breakers used or did you spring for new ones? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif)

I actually wish the wiring in the airplane I built looked this good. Very solid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

More pics of car somewhere??
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 4 2015, 04:42 PM
Post #6

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

What did you build? I built a RV6A before they came out with the "Quick Build Kits". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Are you in the EAA?
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Sep 4 2015, 04:50 PM
Post #7

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Holy crap!! Can you make me one of these? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 4 2015, 05:13 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Hey guys...thanks for the compliments. I'm out at a family function...I'll answer back later tonight.

Tony
+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Sep 4 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 18,582
Region Association: None

WOW nice man! Anyway you care to explain your power steering set-up to me? I see an on off switch! Reast looks amazing love the guages!!
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 4 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Thanks to all for your comments! I just spent today installing the control board...still very rough around the edges but it will soon come together.

JD - Thanks. The engine in this car is an '11 LS3 - using the GM ECU.

76-914 - Yeah. I sprung for new fuses... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Gereed - Sure. I'll post some pictures...I've been building this car "underground" up until now.

76-914 - Very cool...I know someone who's building a VANS. I am a pilot (not an EAA member though) but haven't been current for a long time. My father built a Quickie 200...if I remember that correctly, that was back in the early 80's. Dangerous planes as I recall with the integrated gear within the wing ends.

BoxsterFan - I sure can...how much do you have to spend??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Stacks - LOL! I think you "thought" the Riley & Scott picture was my 914 - no way. I've added more detail to clarify and an extra picture of that car - amazing car!
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Sep 5 2015, 08:16 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,061

Hey Tony (cracker) When will the local Teeners get a look at this project? My Son has raced several 914 over the years ( SCCA SE region EP champ in 1998) . Did you build this for a specific class? Auto X ? Vintage? I' in Roswell. AL
+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 5 2015, 09:27 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The wiring was very well executed, no need for a production wiring harness in a race car it just complicates troubleshooting. Nice work!

What color is that, I really like it!
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Sep 5 2015, 09:47 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 15,674

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 4 2015, 06:42 PM) *

What did you build? I built a RV6A before they came out with the "Quick Build Kits". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Are you in the EAA?

I have an RV-6.........slow build. EAA??? yep

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 5 2015, 10:28 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Q) Hey Tony (cracker) When will the local Teeners get a look at this project? AL
A) Hey AL - Let me get it going first...my "outside" date is to debut it at Road Atlanta on October 24-25 (PCA DE). I am bound by no criteria other than "safety" - I'm just a track-day nut. Your son would enjoy lapping in this car...all 480 hp motivating it through a close-ratio trans! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Q) GMS - What color is that, I really like it!
A) Thank you. The color is close to "Bud-Light" blue... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Gereed - Beautiful plane!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 5 2015, 11:11 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

delete post
+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Sep 7 2015, 03:33 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,660

QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 4 2015, 01:51 PM) *

Over the last 10-months or so as I meandered through my slow-as-molasses build, I was constantly reminded just how old the 914's are - not always bad but often not good either! I remember the day (like the proverbial "yesterday") I had unscrewed the fuse box for some unknown reason and when I tried to reinstall the thing - it would not go. I had bundles of wires that I swear would NOT allow it to return to its once original state.

It was at that moment I decided it had to go and start from scratch! I went to my tool box, pulled out the wire cutters and (before I could talk good sense to myself) cut the harness out. Done and committed all in 60 seconds!

Nearly every part of my build is "inspired" by some prior car, other enthusiasts well executed ideas, etc. In the case of my electrical system...it was a Riley & Scott ALMS car combined with the venerable 997 GT3 Cup car. I wanted tto attempt to build electrical system that was up to (or as close to) Porsche standards, 100% serviceable, component construction, expandable circuitry and blended nicely with the build standards of the entire car.

I choose to mount the control panel on the firewall behind the passenger seat. The engine's ECU, fuse and relay box will mount below it and on the floor (haven't gotten that far yet). It was inspired by the "white 914/6" built by Partick Motorsports - an absolutely stunning car.

I drew a "rough flow chart" of the cars circuitry needs. I'm no engineer but I know what I want and how they should work. For instance, I had a switch box made to spec - 12 in all. All track related (read "at speed") functions are closest to me, lights as such are in the middle and lastly, ignition functions are to the far right. The only "other" two buttons in the car are: 1) horn on dash; and 2) Fire bottle on dash - emergency functions near the hands - everything else remote. I hired an electrical engineer who builds race car harnesses (and switches from scratch Every circuit, every wire and every switch is their for a reason (maybe not a good one...but a reason no less)! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

What you'll see in the following pictures is the byproduct of this exercise. I had a 3/8" aluminum plate milled and bonded the carbon fiber plate bonded and riveted. I was going to anodize the plate but it would have been way to "scratch" happy - too soft of surface.The CF is for more resilient and was the better option (for me).

I wanted the car and its components to be a "drivers car"...no traction control, no excessive electronic gauges, no power systems, etc. My "race car" has a AIM Pista dash (and I really like but...). I've seen allot of 914 builds go this route too. There is nothing wrong with this and my build would have been far simpler if I had elected to go with that electronics package.

I was reading Panorama Magazine (with a 917 on the cover) earlier in the year and was taken back with its simplicity. The dash was simple and informative - much like the vintage F1 cars back in the '70's. I choose to base my new dash loosely on the 917's.

I realize, as always, this will not be everyone's cup of tea or how they would have executed it - I'm ok with that - I'm happy! Enjoy you'all! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

***Riley & Scott ALMS Prototype***

My Dash

Porsche 917 Dash - the inspiration (See the resemblance, kind of at least?)

WOW, very NICE!
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Nov 4 2015, 08:24 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Instead of starting a new thread I'm just updating this old one (added new pics to the first post)...very, very close to running! The car is still not finished and won't be for some time but at least it will be driving (finally!).

Tony

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 4 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #18

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Looks fantastic!!!!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 4 2015, 08:46 PM
Post #19

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Very curious what the sound is going to be from those air filters...
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Nov 5 2015, 06:46 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

LOL. I don't believe you'll be able to hear induction noise...time will tell (that would be pretty cool if it did). Thanks for the compliment.

T

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 4 2015, 09:46 PM) *

Very curious what the sound is going to be from those air filters...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 02:48 AM