Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *Build - Last 3%* - Getting close to running!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cracker
I realize this will not be everyone's cup of tea or how they would have executed it - I'm ok with that... beerchug.gif

The car is a plated dual purpose car and I wanted to keep it all steel - as much as possible. The hood is glass. All of the electrical run in one bundle along the passenger rocker...all fuel and hydraulic lines run in the console tunnel.

PS: I updated an old thread...just new pictures.

T

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jd74914
Very cool! I like the cleanliness and ease of troubleshooting with your power distribution panel. The 90 degree shrink wrap connectors are a nice touch too!

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to go the relay route instead of using a PDM? What are you using as an engine controller?
Mike Bellis
Very nice! I love cannon plugs.
76-914
What, no Artificial Horizon or Altimeter? biggrin.gif Very GA in appearance. Clean. Are those used circuit breakers used or did you spring for new ones? pinch.gif
gereed75
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 4 2015, 05:48 PM) *

What, no Artificial Horizon or Altimeter? biggrin.gif Very GA in appearance. Clean. Are those circuit breakers used or did you spring for new ones? pinch.gif

I actually wish the wiring in the airplane I built looked this good. Very solid pray.gif

More pics of car somewhere??
76-914
What did you build? I built a RV6A before they came out with the "Quick Build Kits". mad.gif Are you in the EAA?
boxsterfan
Holy crap!! Can you make me one of these? beer3.gif
Cracker
Hey guys...thanks for the compliments. I'm out at a family function...I'll answer back later tonight.

Tony
Stacks914
WOW nice man! Anyway you care to explain your power steering set-up to me? I see an on off switch! Reast looks amazing love the guages!!
Cracker
Thanks to all for your comments! I just spent today installing the control board...still very rough around the edges but it will soon come together.

JD - Thanks. The engine in this car is an '11 LS3 - using the GM ECU.

76-914 - Yeah. I sprung for new fuses... rolleyes.gif

Gereed - Sure. I'll post some pictures...I've been building this car "underground" up until now.

76-914 - Very cool...I know someone who's building a VANS. I am a pilot (not an EAA member though) but haven't been current for a long time. My father built a Quickie 200...if I remember that correctly, that was back in the early 80's. Dangerous planes as I recall with the integrated gear within the wing ends.

BoxsterFan - I sure can...how much do you have to spend??? confused24.gif

Stacks - LOL! I think you "thought" the Riley & Scott picture was my 914 - no way. I've added more detail to clarify and an extra picture of that car - amazing car!
Al Meredith
Hey Tony (cracker) When will the local Teeners get a look at this project? My Son has raced several 914 over the years ( SCCA SE region EP champ in 1998) . Did you build this for a specific class? Auto X ? Vintage? I' in Roswell. AL
gms
The wiring was very well executed, no need for a production wiring harness in a race car it just complicates troubleshooting. Nice work!

What color is that, I really like it!
gereed75
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 4 2015, 06:42 PM) *

What did you build? I built a RV6A before they came out with the "Quick Build Kits". mad.gif Are you in the EAA?

I have an RV-6.........slow build. EAA??? yep
Cracker
Q) Hey Tony (cracker) When will the local Teeners get a look at this project? AL
A) Hey AL - Let me get it going first...my "outside" date is to debut it at Road Atlanta on October 24-25 (PCA DE). I am bound by no criteria other than "safety" - I'm just a track-day nut. Your son would enjoy lapping in this car...all 480 hp motivating it through a close-ratio trans! driving.gif

Q) GMS - What color is that, I really like it!
A) Thank you. The color is close to "Bud-Light" blue... beerchug.gif

Gereed - Beautiful plane!!! pray.gif
Cracker
delete post
pdlightning
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 4 2015, 01:51 PM) *

Over the last 10-months or so as I meandered through my slow-as-molasses build, I was constantly reminded just how old the 914's are - not always bad but often not good either! I remember the day (like the proverbial "yesterday") I had unscrewed the fuse box for some unknown reason and when I tried to reinstall the thing - it would not go. I had bundles of wires that I swear would NOT allow it to return to its once original state.

It was at that moment I decided it had to go and start from scratch! I went to my tool box, pulled out the wire cutters and (before I could talk good sense to myself) cut the harness out. Done and committed all in 60 seconds!

Nearly every part of my build is "inspired" by some prior car, other enthusiasts well executed ideas, etc. In the case of my electrical system...it was a Riley & Scott ALMS car combined with the venerable 997 GT3 Cup car. I wanted tto attempt to build electrical system that was up to (or as close to) Porsche standards, 100% serviceable, component construction, expandable circuitry and blended nicely with the build standards of the entire car.

I choose to mount the control panel on the firewall behind the passenger seat. The engine's ECU, fuse and relay box will mount below it and on the floor (haven't gotten that far yet). It was inspired by the "white 914/6" built by Partick Motorsports - an absolutely stunning car.

I drew a "rough flow chart" of the cars circuitry needs. I'm no engineer but I know what I want and how they should work. For instance, I had a switch box made to spec - 12 in all. All track related (read "at speed") functions are closest to me, lights as such are in the middle and lastly, ignition functions are to the far right. The only "other" two buttons in the car are: 1) horn on dash; and 2) Fire bottle on dash - emergency functions near the hands - everything else remote. I hired an electrical engineer who builds race car harnesses (and switches from scratch Every circuit, every wire and every switch is their for a reason (maybe not a good one...but a reason no less)! rolleyes.gif

What you'll see in the following pictures is the byproduct of this exercise. I had a 3/8" aluminum plate milled and bonded the carbon fiber plate bonded and riveted. I was going to anodize the plate but it would have been way to "scratch" happy - too soft of surface.The CF is for more resilient and was the better option (for me).

I wanted the car and its components to be a "drivers car"...no traction control, no excessive electronic gauges, no power systems, etc. My "race car" has a AIM Pista dash (and I really like but...). I've seen allot of 914 builds go this route too. There is nothing wrong with this and my build would have been far simpler if I had elected to go with that electronics package.

I was reading Panorama Magazine (with a 917 on the cover) earlier in the year and was taken back with its simplicity. The dash was simple and informative - much like the vintage F1 cars back in the '70's. I choose to base my new dash loosely on the 917's.

I realize, as always, this will not be everyone's cup of tea or how they would have executed it - I'm ok with that - I'm happy! Enjoy you'all! beerchug.gif

***Riley & Scott ALMS Prototype***
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

My Dash
Click to view attachment

Porsche 917 Dash - the inspiration (See the resemblance, kind of at least?)
Click to view attachment

WOW, very NICE!
Cracker
Instead of starting a new thread I'm just updating this old one (added new pics to the first post)...very, very close to running! The car is still not finished and won't be for some time but at least it will be driving (finally!).

Tony

Andyrew
Looks fantastic!!!!
Andyrew
Very curious what the sound is going to be from those air filters...
Cracker
LOL. I don't believe you'll be able to hear induction noise...time will tell (that would be pretty cool if it did). Thanks for the compliment.

T

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 4 2015, 09:46 PM) *

Very curious what the sound is going to be from those air filters...

BIGKAT_83
Just gets better and better. More pictures please smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Bob
Cairo94507
Holy cow! That is a serious car. Very nicely executed. smilie_pokal.gif
aircooledtechguy
Stunning build!! pray.gif

I have but one request when it's on the road: Video with clear sound bites; in the car, out of the car and under acceleration. driving.gif happy11.gif
bulitt
Could have sworn you told me you were over trying to get a 914 V8 to be a track car? lol-2.gif

Can't wait for the videos of you passing the GT3's at RA again!

mgp4591
Very well thought out and a very slick looking build with lots of good ideas worthy of hijacking! Are those custom floors or did you reinforced the stock ones?
Cracker
AirCooled - Sure thing - will do. Don't expect too much - it is a bone-stock motor. Emphasis was focused on the dry-sump and cooling of it - 425hp/425tq should be plenty for any 2300 lb road race car (for now anyway rolleyes.gif )!

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Nov 5 2015, 12:45 PM) *

I have but one request when it's on the road: Video with clear sound bites; in the car, out of the car and under acceleration. driving.gif happy11.gif

Bullit - What can I say...I went to the dark side of modern/new and it ain't "greener" over there! I'm committed to the 914 and am applying what I learned a few years ago. PS: That car was only a hot rod and nothing like this build. biggrin.gif

MGP - HiJack all you want...the drivers floor has been dropped 2" (I'm 6'5") and the passenger has a heavily reinforced plate design - waaaay more than necessary but weight is of no real concern with this car. We have the matching passenger seat but that hasn't been the top priority as the moment. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words fella's. beerchug.gif

Tony
pete000
Impressive fabrication !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.