Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 76 subaru conversion
carphappy
post Sep 9 2015, 07:34 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,132
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 9 2015, 08:52 PM) *

You don't need tight mesh. I do not get any road debris in my front trunk.

I had a bottom vent on my last conversion car. It worked well for cooling but there are drawbacks. Air gets under the car, which is the worst place for it. On dirt roads dust will blow out and circulate into the cabin if the windows are down or roof is off. In stop and go traffic hot air will circulate out and into the cabin. The last one may be good if you live in a cold climate. The trunk pan is part of the structure that hold the front suspension on the car.

wish i knew that before i cut the floor. i was concerned about the structure of the front suspension, i added an additional cross member in front of the radiator in hopes of compensating for the metal that i had removed.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carphappy
post Sep 9 2015, 07:48 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(carphappy @ Sep 9 2015, 09:34 PM) *

I had a bottom vent on my last conversion car. It worked well for cooling but there are drawbacks. Air gets under the car, which is the worst place for it. On dirt roads dust will blow out and circulate into the cabin if the windows are down or roof is off. In stop and go traffic hot air will circulate out and into the cabin. The last one may be good if you live in a cold climate. The trunk pan is part of the structure that hold the front suspension on the car.

wish i knew that before i cut the floor. i was concerned about the structure of the front suspension, i added an additional cross member in front of the radiator in hopes of compensating for the metal that i had removed.

this reminds me, one of the most noticeable structural, handling improvements i have made was to add another cross member in the rear of the car, below where the original steel bumper was attached, basically stopping the left and right rear from moving up or down independently. anyone without a rear bumper might want to look into it.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Sep 9 2015, 08:21 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

I wonder,.how much air turbulence,.MAY be created under the hood,.. with the hood scoop/vents in which ever direction,front or back,..I would think,.in at bumper,..out at top of hood towards windshield...??? would be the best flow pattern..
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Sep 10 2015, 03:53 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(flmont @ Sep 9 2015, 08:21 PM) *

I wonder,.how much air turbulence,.MAY be created under the hood,.. with the hood scoop/vents in which ever direction,front or back,..I would think,.in at bumper,..out at top of hood towards windshield...??? would be the best flow pattern..

That is the best flow pattern- that area in front of the windshield is a low pressure area so it you fill it with air from the front of the vehicle not only does the low pressure pull the air through the ductwork, it also helps stabilize the car at higher speeds. I'm not a fan of the look necessarily but it does work well so make it as pretty as you can... the general math works out that you need twice the outlet area as you have for the inlet area and the straighter the ductwork is, the faster the air moves and which makes it more efficient. I'm still not a fan of the way it looks tho... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 10 2015, 02:38 PM
Post #25

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(carphappy @ Sep 9 2015, 06:34 PM) *

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just weld an 18ga frame around whatever you cut out or weld a louvered panel in after you open it up.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
carphappy
post Sep 10 2015, 04:09 PM
Post #26

i like what you did, just out of curiosity, any opinions on brake upgrades while sticking with 4 lugs. i went with the vw fox upgrade.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 10 2015, 06:34 PM
Post #27

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Brakes? What brakes? Really don't know. I'm running stock rebuilt calipers. The only work they get is when I see RADAR! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 10:57 AM