Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best 914 cover
last337
post Sep 9 2015, 03:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,221
Region Association: None

I have finally moved the 914 from my shop to in front of the house now that I am finally able to drive it again. I am hoping that now that it is closer I will get to all those small things I wanted to fix when I have free time at home. Unfortunately I dont have a driveway and it is sitting out on the street. I have an umbrella cover on order from Perry for when I am out and about but I would like a nice full size cover for in front of the house. What do you guys recommend that will keep the rain off but not trap moisture inside either?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Sep 9 2015, 04:42 PM
Post #2

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

The Coverking cover that Pelican sells is awesome, but expensive. Custom fit for a 914. Mine is now "worn out" after 5 years. It has some pin-holes in it that allow water in, but it was once totally waterproof.

For winter I put the Coverking on, then a waterproof tarp from the hardware store, then a cheap generic car cover on top and buckle that. The cheap cover keeps the sun exposure off of the expensive Coverking. The tarp is because the Coverking is no longer as waterproof as it once was. The Coverking works great now as a general sun and dust cover, but for the winter it is always the tarp sandwich! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

One benefit of the "three-ply" cover strategy is that you'll almost always get the car wet when removing a wet cover. With the 3-ply, I take the cheap cover and roll it off inside the tarp, and the Coverking, which is basically dry, stops any water from getting into or on the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Briby37
post Sep 9 2015, 04:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,049
Region Association: Northern California

California Car Cover has all kinds of covers. 914 fits inside a "small" no problem. I've got one for indoor use, and think it does the trick just fine. I's guess their all weather stuff is OK too.
+Quote Post
last337
post Sep 9 2015, 05:11 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Sep 9 2015, 05:42 PM) *

The Coverking cover that Pelican sells is awesome, but expensive. Custom fit for a 914. Mine is now "worn out" after 5 years. It has some pin-holes in it that allow water in, but it was once totally waterproof.

For winter I put the Coverking on, then a waterproof tarp from the hardware store, then a cheap generic car cover on top and buckle that. The cheap cover keeps the sun exposure off of the expensive Coverking. The tarp is because the Coverking is no longer as waterproof as it once was. The Coverking works great now as a general sun and dust cover, but for the winter it is always the tarp sandwich! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

One benefit of the "three-ply" cover strategy is that you'll almost always get the car wet when removing a wet cover. With the 3-ply, I take the cheap cover and roll it off inside the tarp, and the Coverking, which is basically dry, stops any water from getting into or on the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks for the suggestion! Which Coverking cover did you get? They have several models on there now.
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post Sep 9 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 15,967

I have one from California Car Cover it came with the car mines probly not the best choice for protection from the elements but they have many fabrics mine is model specific & the fit is excellent
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
cjl
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 9 2015, 08:36 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Sep 10 2015, 10:42 AM) *

I have custom Coverking very pleased with it, got it on Amazon on special...still not cheap however,can't remember the seller now.
I think any cover that isn't a proper fit will damage your paint as it flaps around in the wind.
+Quote Post
pete000
post Sep 9 2015, 10:42 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

I really like Cover King. I have several and all top quality. Not cheap though.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Sep 10 2015, 12:25 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

I have Cover Kings for both my 914s. They are excellent.

Hey, anyone know if they can be washed in a clothes washer?
+Quote Post
last337
post Sep 10 2015, 06:11 AM
Post #9

I am looking at the Coverking Mosom Plus model. I think for the money it is the best fit for me.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Sep 10 2015, 07:22 AM
Post #10

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Sep 10 2015, 07:31 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Agree w Cuda. Cover King makes quality stuff.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Sep 10 2015, 07:31 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I used to have the Noah model cover and it worked very well when I needed to store the car outside.

One tip is to wax and seal the paint before putting it under cover. That will give it a little protection from the rub/wear from having a cover on it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Sep 10 2015, 12:19 PM
Post #13

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

I had a California Car Cover warrantied for 4 years $189.99. It lasted 2. The threads rotted out and it came apart at the seams. They sent me another and it did the same thing but only lasted 18 months. You only get 1 replacement for your warranty. I bought a cover from Wallmart for $40.00 and cover that with a silver tarp from Harbor Freight. So far so good.
+Quote Post
last337
post Sep 17 2015, 06:45 PM
Post #14

Just wanted to give a review of first impressions on the Coverking Mosom Plus cover I purchased. It is very good quality and the fit is perfect. It seems like it will stay on in strong winds even without straps. I just cant get over the fit of this thing. It isnt heavy at all and would easily fit in the front trunk without taking up much room. I am very pleased and will update after the next New Orleans thunderstorm which should be a good test for rain.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Sep 18 2015, 12:24 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

My CoverKing Silvergard Plus is awesome in the Arizona sun. 4 years old and still works and fits great.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 12:31 PM