Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best 914 cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
I have finally moved the 914 from my shop to in front of the house now that I am finally able to drive it again. I am hoping that now that it is closer I will get to all those small things I wanted to fix when I have free time at home. Unfortunately I dont have a driveway and it is sitting out on the street. I have an umbrella cover on order from Perry for when I am out and about but I would like a nice full size cover for in front of the house. What do you guys recommend that will keep the rain off but not trap moisture inside either?
Chris Pincetich
The Coverking cover that Pelican sells is awesome, but expensive. Custom fit for a 914. Mine is now "worn out" after 5 years. It has some pin-holes in it that allow water in, but it was once totally waterproof.

For winter I put the Coverking on, then a waterproof tarp from the hardware store, then a cheap generic car cover on top and buckle that. The cheap cover keeps the sun exposure off of the expensive Coverking. The tarp is because the Coverking is no longer as waterproof as it once was. The Coverking works great now as a general sun and dust cover, but for the winter it is always the tarp sandwich! beerchug.gif

One benefit of the "three-ply" cover strategy is that you'll almost always get the car wet when removing a wet cover. With the 3-ply, I take the cheap cover and roll it off inside the tarp, and the Coverking, which is basically dry, stops any water from getting into or on the car. biggrin.gif
Briby37
California Car Cover has all kinds of covers. 914 fits inside a "small" no problem. I've got one for indoor use, and think it does the trick just fine. I's guess their all weather stuff is OK too.
last337
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Sep 9 2015, 05:42 PM) *

The Coverking cover that Pelican sells is awesome, but expensive. Custom fit for a 914. Mine is now "worn out" after 5 years. It has some pin-holes in it that allow water in, but it was once totally waterproof.

For winter I put the Coverking on, then a waterproof tarp from the hardware store, then a cheap generic car cover on top and buckle that. The cheap cover keeps the sun exposure off of the expensive Coverking. The tarp is because the Coverking is no longer as waterproof as it once was. The Coverking works great now as a general sun and dust cover, but for the winter it is always the tarp sandwich! beerchug.gif

One benefit of the "three-ply" cover strategy is that you'll almost always get the car wet when removing a wet cover. With the 3-ply, I take the cheap cover and roll it off inside the tarp, and the Coverking, which is basically dry, stops any water from getting into or on the car. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the suggestion! Which Coverking cover did you get? They have several models on there now.
theleschyouknow
I have one from California Car Cover it came with the car mines probly not the best choice for protection from the elements but they have many fabrics mine is model specific & the fit is excellent
beerchug.gif
cjl
porschetub
QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Sep 10 2015, 10:42 AM) *

I have custom Coverking very pleased with it, got it on Amazon on special...still not cheap however,can't remember the seller now.
I think any cover that isn't a proper fit will damage your paint as it flaps around in the wind.
pete000
I really like Cover King. I have several and all top quality. Not cheap though.
Cuda911
I have Cover Kings for both my 914s. They are excellent.

Hey, anyone know if they can be washed in a clothes washer?
last337
I am looking at the Coverking Mosom Plus model. I think for the money it is the best fit for me.
iamchappy
Big Len
Agree w Cuda. Cover King makes quality stuff.
JmuRiz
I used to have the Noah model cover and it worked very well when I needed to store the car outside.

One tip is to wax and seal the paint before putting it under cover. That will give it a little protection from the rub/wear from having a cover on it.
Geezer914
I had a California Car Cover warrantied for 4 years $189.99. It lasted 2. The threads rotted out and it came apart at the seams. They sent me another and it did the same thing but only lasted 18 months. You only get 1 replacement for your warranty. I bought a cover from Wallmart for $40.00 and cover that with a silver tarp from Harbor Freight. So far so good.
last337
Just wanted to give a review of first impressions on the Coverking Mosom Plus cover I purchased. It is very good quality and the fit is perfect. It seems like it will stay on in strong winds even without straps. I just cant get over the fit of this thing. It isnt heavy at all and would easily fit in the front trunk without taking up much room. I am very pleased and will update after the next New Orleans thunderstorm which should be a good test for rain.

Click to view attachment
michael7810
My CoverKing Silvergard Plus is awesome in the Arizona sun. 4 years old and still works and fits great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.