Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Targa Top Failed Latch, Not sure how this happened
earossi
post Sep 9 2015, 08:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,878
Region Association: Upper MidWest

In attempting to install the top on my car, I encountered resistance from the new front seal that goes across the windshield. The seal, being new, has not taken a set, so it took a lot of force attempting to "pull" the top forward into the seal. So much force that I managed to break one of the pot metal latches on one side, and the stepped pivot screw on the other latch sheared off at the threads.

The top was latched in place when I picked up the car, but I am obviously doing something wrong.

So, I have several questions.

First, is where to source new latches and the stepped pivot screw that I managed to break. I assume that I can source them used by placing an ad in the WTB parts section of classified; but, it would be nice to install new parts, if they can be sourced.

Second, any suggestions on why I ran into the latching issue? When I placed the top on the car, I indexed the front lip into the windshield seal, and then attempted to pull it into place with the latches, until the latches failed. Obviously, something is not correct.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 05:16 AM