Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Top Failed Latch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
earossi
In attempting to install the top on my car, I encountered resistance from the new front seal that goes across the windshield. The seal, being new, has not taken a set, so it took a lot of force attempting to "pull" the top forward into the seal. So much force that I managed to break one of the pot metal latches on one side, and the stepped pivot screw on the other latch sheared off at the threads.

The top was latched in place when I picked up the car, but I am obviously doing something wrong.

So, I have several questions.

First, is where to source new latches and the stepped pivot screw that I managed to break. I assume that I can source them used by placing an ad in the WTB parts section of classified; but, it would be nice to install new parts, if they can be sourced.

Second, any suggestions on why I ran into the latching issue? When I placed the top on the car, I indexed the front lip into the windshield seal, and then attempted to pull it into place with the latches, until the latches failed. Obviously, something is not correct.
SLITS
Your old seal had taken a set over the years and lost it's elasticity.

The new seal is probably "puffier" as it is new.

On the latches there are adjustment studs for such an occurrence. You would loosen the nuts and let the latch catch slide a bit.

Boiled down .... Old seal = thin and New seal = thicker.

You should be able to push the top into place in the seal. You could try some lube on the seal (soapy water).

That's my take.
earossi
Great suggestion. I'll use some dish soap to see if the top will slide into place, as soon as I locate a replacement latch.
porschetub
QUOTE(earossi @ Sep 10 2015, 02:44 PM) *

In attempting to install the top on my car, I encountered resistance from the new front seal that goes across the windshield. The seal, being new, has not taken a set, so it took a lot of force attempting to "pull" the top forward into the seal. So much force that I managed to break one of the pot metal latches on one side, and the stepped pivot screw on the other latch sheared off at the threads.

The top was latched in place when I picked up the car, but I am obviously doing something wrong.

So, I have several questions.

First, is where to source new latches and the stepped pivot screw that I managed to break. I assume that I can source them used by placing an ad in the WTB parts section of classified; but, it would be nice to install new parts, if they can be sourced.

Second, any suggestions on why I ran into the latching issue? When I placed the top on the car, I indexed the front lip into the windshield seal, and then attempted to pull it into place with the latches, until the latches failed. Obviously, something is not correct.

Your latches are pot-metal ?,I thought they were pressed steel.
You will need to relax the latchs with a new seal and adjust until the roof panel is level with the windscreen frame when clamped down.
Sorry to ask but is the seal fitted properly ?
914_teener
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 9 2015, 08:22 PM) *

Your old seal had taken a set over the years and lost it's elasticity.

The new seal is probably "puffier" as it is new.

On the latches there are adjustment studs for such an occurrence. You would loosen the nuts and let the latch catch slide a bit.

Boiled down .... Old seal = thin and New seal = thicker.

You should be able to push the top into place in the seal. You could try some lube on the seal (soapy water).

That's my take.

Puffier?

WTF.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
bdstone914
i have all of the parts you need.
Bruce
Larmo63
The new seal that is available seems to be fatter than the original one. It also could be the lower one is too fat or incorrectly installed. (upside-down?) I have this same issue and therefore, I rarely take my targa top off. It's too much of a hassle putting it back on. I wish it wasn't this way, but it is.

There is some adjustment in the front latches if that is any help. Used ones are not too hard to source, either.
mbseto
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 9 2015, 11:40 PM) *

...pot metal latches...

Your latches are pot-metal ?...

There's no pot metal on a Porsche! Is there??
earossi
QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 10 2015, 08:24 AM) *

...pot metal latches...

Ha! Surely you jest! Most of the parts that I break are pot metal. Prior to the top latch, I managed to break one of the pot metal loops that attach to the end of the seat adjusters. There is pot metal all over the car!
earossi
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 9 2015, 11:32 PM) *

i have all of the parts you need.
Bruce

Thanks for your offer Bruce. I was able to source the parts locally.
BfloRandy
I had a similar problem, without the broken latch, thankfully. The new seals were much fatter than the ancient ones I replaced. I solved it by cranking the latches down and leaving the top on for several days while it baked in the sun. First time I tried to remove the top, the upper seal tried to come with it! So, pulled the seal out manually, glued the hell out of it, and repeated the whole process again. Now it's snug, and no seals are misbehaving. Hope that helps!

-Randy
whitetwinturbo
............so since this is Kalifornication I searched mine for pot..... smoke.gif .... darn, culd not find any confused24.gif BUT found a lot of heavy metal aktion035.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 10 2015, 06:24 AM) *

...pot metal latches...

No, it's called Zemac in third world countries .... aluminum zinc alloy. The only pot here is generally green. smoke.gif
jim_hoyland
I too had the same problem; to make the top slide in/out easier, I dust the seal with baby powder 2x a year.. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.