Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Build-off Challenge - Organizational Thread, NEED FEEDBACK ON LOGO FOR SHIRTS
mbseto
post Sep 15 2015, 07:06 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 14 2015, 03:58 PM) *

Sir Andy... built a whole sub forum for build threads, well worth the time to review all us hack builders, myself included

Believe me, I've spent more time poring over those than anywhere else. In fact, I've made my own little document that indexes and cross-references several of them, so I know where to look for different sections of the body.

Anyway, I'd be up for this. Spent the last few months building a dolly and bracing, mounting the car and disassembling interior, suspension, etc. Starting cutting out the rust a few weeks ago, and making a shopping list for RD, and trying to decide what I can make myself.

Overall plan is to restore the body this year, drive it next summer, then tune the engine next year. It will stay a narrow body and mostly original, but not obsessively so. End goal is a fun daily (fair weather) driver.

Here's my thread, but if I need a pic in this thread I can do that (can I repost a pic that has already been uploaded?)...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=262220
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 15 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #42

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Sir Andy... built a whole sub forum for build threads, well worth the time to review all us hack builders, myself included

I don't think any of my build threads made it in there... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 15 2015, 05:33 PM
Post #43

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 15 2015, 04:32 PM) *

I don't think any of my build threads made it in there... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Don't fret, you're on the cover of 914world and getting some mag coverage soon...
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Sep 15 2015, 05:40 PM
Post #44

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 15 2015, 04:32 PM) *

You just have to ask Sir Andy to include them.

I never got around to asking either... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

John
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Sep 15 2015, 10:39 PM
Post #45

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I didn't do any build threads just build Q&A posts!

Lennies914 and I built 3 cars in less than 12 months and Lennies car won car of the month.

We are just two guys who like to build things and are not "pro's".

I think that who ever gets into the build off challenge should be a regular person like us who have used this site to share information and learn from the collective knowledge we have.

We are not like other clubs and we never will be......Thanks Andy!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 16 2015, 06:34 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

We are going to talk about the best way to do the Build-Off while at Okteenerfest this weekend.

I am thinking there are two options:

1. Choose 4 builds for the build-off. Or 3 or 6. But, a fixed number.
2. Anyone that meets the "criteria" can participate. Under this scenario we get more builds, but, more of them likely fall out along the way as they encounter issues that take longer (and more money) to fix.

As for criteria, here is the thought:
a. Must include removal and installation, or installation of the engine.
b. Must include significant rust/accident repair, and/or paint and bodywork.
c. Must include interior work.

How are the builds judged?
1. Finishing on time - The car must be "done" and on the road at the end of the build.
2. Completing all build tasks, as outlined at the outset of the build. This is determined by the person doing the build, but, roughly set out at the beginning of the build.
3. Quality and workmanship of the final product (I know that this one is hard to judge from afar and online. But, I think we have solutions for this).

The goal is less of a hard and fast competition, and more about getting the car done, done right, and on the road.

Thoughts?

EDIT: And do we include professional shops?
EDIT: Continued participation? Maybe progress (photos) every month? Every two weeks?
EDIT: There will be a deadline. Maybe 1 year from now - September 1st? Maybe coincide with Okteenerfest 2016. Although some west coast cars may not be able to attend. We can figure that out.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 16 2015, 06:50 AM
Post #47

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

OK - I am just a spectator, so I am out. Full speed ahead fellow members. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 16 2015, 06:59 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 16 2015, 08:50 AM) *

OK - I am just a spectator, so I am out. Full speed ahead fellow members. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

It seems like most everyone wants to see the mostly DIY builds included, rather than the professional shops. If we want to include them though, I am up for anything. Maybe feature them separately. I know Black Forest is doing a great build for David. And then there is yours (name of the car?), and mine (we call it Cinderella), and the one Kent is doing, etc. I am sure there are other great professional builds.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Sep 16 2015, 07:02 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 17,743

Take all (amateur?) comers, and make the requirements for *continued* participation. In any group of builders, you never know who will make it through on time, so let them self filter- when a project stalls, it's off the list.

Then at the end, if it's successful and people want to do it again, you can let those that fell by the wayside have a second shot at jump-starting their project.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 16 2015, 08:09 AM
Post #50

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 16 2015, 05:34 AM) *

We are going to talk about the best way to do the Build-Off while at Okteenerfest this weekend.

2. Anyone that meets the "criteria" can participate. Under this scenario we get more builds, but, more of them likely fall out along the way as they encounter issues that take longer (and more money) to fix.

1. Finishing on time - The car must be "done" and on the road at the end of the build.
2. Completing all build tasks, as outlined at the outset of the build. This is determined by the person doing the build, but, roughly set out at the beginning of the build.
3. Quality and workmanship of the final product (I know that this one is hard to judge from afar and online. But, I think we have solutions for this).

The goal is less of a hard and fast competition, and more about getting the car done, done right, and on the road.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Continued participation? Maybe progress (photos) every month? Every two weeks?

My thoughts are no one does a complete rebuild in only a year.....
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 16 2015, 08:46 AM
Post #51

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm not good with following rules so I'm out.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Sep 16 2015, 09:36 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 13,287

Olympic Blue build.

I am considering throwing my hat into the ring for this one.

But everyone won't have the same starting point, or amount / complexity of work that needs to be accomplished. Some of us have already gotten far along in the process. And others will farm out work such as engine building, body work and paint. And there are many routes that can be taken and job A is not always followed by Job B and job C may not even be necessary in all cases.
Will there be a set deadline for all participants or a self-imposed deadline or goal?

Anyways here is my story:
Purchased my 914 in 1979. I’m the second owner. Drove it for 10 years with only minor problems until the clutch went out 1989 and the engine had 137K on it. Then I was faced with low funds and engine that when removed will need rebuilding. So I put it in storage in a limestone mine in PA and left it there for 20+ years, never forgetting about it.
Fast forward to 2010 and I bring it home to a new 14 X20 SHED I had built just to work on the car.
Since that time I have had the extensive rust issues taken care of by Chris at Tangerine and also had the fenders flared for the 5 bolt Fuchs I will be running.
I have completed the engine rebuild myself going from 1.7 into a 2056 with heads by HAM and a Raby 9590 cam, I am keeping the D-jet FI.
I am now working on the body doing body work and paint. I AM NOT A BODY MAN. I really don’t even like body work but think I am capable.
This is the hardest part for me. I would rather build engines.
Along the way I am learning to weld, machine small parts and paint and acquiring many new tools.
My own self-imposed goal is to drive it to 2016 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. Not sure if it will happen but without a goal it definitely WON’T happen.
Now a few of the requisite pictures.

Attached Image

20+ years of dust. Not a barn find cause it was never lost.

Attached Image

Pulling the engine..
Don't let its good looks fool you. On the west coast this would have been parted out.

Attached Image

137K and still some crosshatch in the cylinders.

Attached Image

Engine Done. Real purty now...

Attached Image

Sandblasting on dolly. I have some paint done, but enough pictures for now.

Steve, let me know if I am a candidate...
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 16 2015, 09:41 AM
Post #53

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I actually don't name my cars. That might be weird, since my bother names his cars. I call my Six, "The Six". So, that can be the name????
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 16 2015, 09:53 AM
Post #54

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 16 2015, 11:41 AM) *

I actually don't name my cars. That might be weird, since my bother names his cars. I call my Six, "The Six". So, that can be the name????

I name them:
Big red
Little red
Suby red
Ugly red
Smelly red
Gas burner red
Redrum

All the others were called - not red

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Sep 16 2015, 10:35 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 13,287

I don't really name mine either, when referring to the 914 I usually just called it the "little blue car"

and the motorcycles were

1948 Harley = the Rigid

1977 FXE = the Orange bike

2001 Flhtc touring = the Dresser.
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Sep 16 2015, 10:56 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 3,459
Region Association: None

I might be up for the challenge since I still have enough work to complete from this point forward to consume a year. The project stalled for many years due to my job and raising kids but I have been working on it a lot the last few months and I hope to continue.

This is my build so far: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...19197&st=40

Jeff B
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 16 2015, 11:35 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 16 2015, 10:09 AM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Sep 16 2015, 05:34 AM) *

Thoughts?

My thoughts are no one does a complete rebuild in only a year.....

I agree. A full, bare-metal teardown resto would take longer than a year in all but the very rare case. But, to pull the engine, rebuild it, do some rust repair, paint, etc. and get it back on the road can be done in a year.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 16 2015, 11:37 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 16 2015, 11:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 16 2015, 11:41 AM) *

I name them:
Big red
Little red
Suby red
Ugly red
Smelly red
Gas burner red
Redrum

All the others were called - not red

Love it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Sep 16 2015, 11:43 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Sep 16 2015, 11:36 AM) *

Olympic Blue build.

I am considering throwing my hat into the ring for this one.

But everyone won't have the same starting point, or amount / complexity of work that needs to be accomplished. Some of us have already gotten far along in the process. And others will farm out work such as engine building, body work and paint. And there are many routes that can be taken and job A is not always followed by Job B and job C may not even be necessary in all cases.
Will there be a set deadline for all participants or a self-imposed deadline or goal?

Steve, let me know if I am a candidate...

Everyone will start from different points. That is ok. That can be taken into consideration in the end. Yes, there will be a deadline. Maybe September 1st? What year is your car?
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Sep 16 2015, 11:53 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

Do engine conversions count? I'd be game.
+Quote Post

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 07:15 PM