Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED Headlights: Turning on the fogs turns on the high beams, too!, New behavior, fogs worked normally until LED headlights installed.
orthobiz
post Sep 20 2015, 08:16 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(john77 @ Sep 20 2015, 08:11 PM) *

Are you sure it doesn't already have the JWest fog light module? My car has it and I have the GE nighthawks too. Once I plugged the nighthawks in my lights started doing all sorts of crazy things. If I turn the fogs on the fogs don't come on but it switches the nighthawks to high beams. I just stopped using my fogs, and as soon as I get around to it I plan on removing the JWest module.

Interesting thought. I never tried blipping the fogs before...

But I agree, I can live without the flogs. The Nighthawks are so bright and so precision focused, I think the "dim" fogs have become superfluous! But they do look cool...

Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Sep 20 2015, 08:17 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Sep 20 2015, 03:53 PM) *

Hi-Lo beams, headlight cover motor, running lights and fog lamps are all inter-connected at the light switch.

Hope this helps,
Sherwood

Thanks for the pics. I'm picking up ideas along the way!

Paul
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Sep 21 2015, 09:07 AM
Post #23

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(john77 @ Sep 20 2015, 05:11 PM) *

Are you sure it doesn't already have the JWest fog light module? My car has it and I have the GE nighthawks too. Once I plugged the nighthawks in my lights started doing all sorts of crazy things. If I turn the fogs on the fogs don't come on but it switches the nighthawks to high beams. I just stopped using my fogs, and as soon as I get around to it I plan on removing the JWest module.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Just when you thought you had found the perfect plug-n-play upgrade (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
....another endless 914 project develops (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I have pulled the JWest fog light module and I still experience the high/low beam "issue". BUT, I love having the fog lights on as driving lights....more work to do soon!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 21 2015, 09:21 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 73

Aw man really? Have we confirmed the JWest flasher is the problem? Was getting close to ordering these...
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Sep 21 2015, 03:09 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Sep 21 2015, 11:07 AM) *

I have pulled the JWest fog light module and I still experience the high/low beam "issue". BUT, I love having the fog lights on as driving lights....more work to do soon!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

So Chris, you have the LED headlights also?

Paul
+Quote Post
904svo
post Sep 21 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #26

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

Try this. On fuse#1 there is 2 white/blue wires (one goes to High beam light the other to the fog light relay) cut these two wires apart find out which one goes to
the High beam light ( apply battery) reconnect this to fuse#1 with a new spare wire.
Connect this wire to terminal #85 on a new relay. The Blue/white wire left over attach to a new relay terminal #30 . Connect terminals #86 and #87a together and run to ground. This fix will supply ground to the fog light relay on when the low beams headlight are on and remove it when the high beams are turn on.
+Quote Post
dangerranger01
post Sep 21 2015, 07:21 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 4,578
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 21 2015, 08:21 AM) *

Aw man really? Have we confirmed the JWest flasher is the problem? Was getting close to ordering these...

Curious about this too. I was about to order the jwest kit as well.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Sep 21 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(904svo @ Sep 21 2015, 08:24 PM) *

Try this. On fuse#1 there is 2 white/blue wires (one goes to High beam light the other to the fog light relay) cut these two wires apart find out which one goes to
the High beam light ( apply battery) reconnect this to fuse#1 with a new spare wire.
Connect this wire to terminal #85 on a new relay. The Blue/white wire left over attach to a new relay terminal #30 . Connect terminals #86 and #87a together and run to ground. This fix will supply ground to the fog light relay on when the low beams headlight are on and remove it when the high beams are turn on.

Sounds doable! I think what I really want to do is have the fog lights work whenever I pull out the fog light switch. I will never run them with the brights, I just don't want to worry about the fog lights being triggered by anything other than me pulling out the dash switch!

Paul
+Quote Post
904svo
post Sep 21 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #29

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 21 2015, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(904svo @ Sep 21 2015, 08:24 PM) *

Sounds doable! I think what I really want to do is have the fog lights work whenever I pull out the fog light switch. I will never run them with the brights, I just don't want to worry about the fog lights being triggered by anything other than me pulling out the dash switch!

Paul

If you want that option, take the Blue/white wire and put it to ground instead of wiring it to #30 , forget about the rest of the wiring and relay.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 21 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #30

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(904svo @ Sep 21 2015, 05:24 PM) *

Connect this wire to terminal #85 on a new relay. The Blue/white wire left over attach to a new relay terminal #30 .

You don't need to do that. If you want the fogs on only with the low beams, just move the "left over" white/blue wire to one of the low beam fuses. You can use a "piggyback connector" do do that relatively painlessly.

--DD
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Sep 22 2015, 08:56 AM
Post #31

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 21 2015, 08:21 AM) *

Have we confirmed the JWest flasher is the problem? Was getting close to ordering these...

NO I am NOT saying that. That module has been awesome for 5+ years. AND when I took it off, I realized I had it hooked up wrong in the first place, which may have been causing part of my problem...so, more work to do! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

I felt removing it was a good idea since it was time to strip down to basic wiring and work back up to the functionality I had and want. I hope to re-install the JWest module, and may buy a new one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

For some reason, I had it hooked up to 12V power on the ground wire (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
It mostly worked! I just never had high beams (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

All this wiring work started because I was installing the GE LED headlights. Got them off Amazon with double coupons (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(904svo @ Sep 21 2015, 05:24 PM) *

Ok! Thanks for posting the potential fixes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Sep 23 2015, 03:01 PM
Post #32

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

..........how did you get "double" coupons (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 23 2015, 03:32 PM
Post #33

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Sep 23 2015, 05:01 PM) *

..........how did you get "double" coupons (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Order one at a time
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 23 2015, 04:36 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 73

NO I am NOT saying that. That module has been awesome for 5+ years. AND when I took it off, I realized I had it hooked up wrong in the first place, which may have been causing part of my problem...so, more work to do! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

I felt removing it was a good idea since it was time to strip down to basic wiring and work back up to the functionality I had and want. I hope to re-install the JWest module, and may buy a new one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

For some reason, I had it hooked up to 12V power on the ground wire (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
It mostly worked! I just never had high beams (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

All this wiring work started because I was installing the GE LED headlights. Got them off Amazon with double coupons (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Ah! Got it. Makes sense. I wish I had a dime for everything I've wired incorrectly! I might still have the JWest installation instructions if it would help you. Just PM me.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Sep 24 2015, 06:18 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 23 2015, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Sep 23 2015, 05:01 PM) *

Order one at a time

I made two separate orders with Amazon on the same day in the same sitting with two credit cards, just to be sneaky. Before they sent them I received an e-mail that because they were going to the same address they'd make only one shipment in one box. Got the benefit of two coupons. They don't seem to care!

I think they may be watching me type this now............LOL

Paul
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Sep 24 2015, 06:19 PM
Post #36

Also I am happy with an "on my honor" system. I'd like the fog lights to go on and off completely separately from any other relay or failsafe mechanism. I solemnly pledge that I will never use them with my high beams.

I know there's a way to do that...

Paul
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 24 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #37

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Just move that one wire to the relay off of the high-beam circuit, and hook it up to a constant +12V circuit. I did that, and have killed at least one battery that way. (Oops!) Maybe hook it up to a switched power circuit instead...

--DD
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Mar 28 2019, 02:22 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 21,628

researching the truck light LEDs - did this ever get resolved?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Mar 28 2019, 04:19 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 22,446

@bdstone914 looks like this is similar to the issue we were discussing
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Mar 29 2019, 09:11 AM
Post #40

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Mar 28 2019, 03:19 PM) *

@bdstone914 looks like this is similar to the issue we were discussing

I think it was the No high beams you were discussing. The relay requires more load to trigger to high, the additional wire in resistors fix that. Who would think not drawing current on the headlights could be a problem.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:43 AM