Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To repair or not
mckeedad6
post Sep 18 2015, 10:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,161
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Ok Guys. I have decided to sell my uncles 74 914. Question is how much more would it be worth if I replaced the rear trunk floor. Would it add that much extra value or should I leave it as is for next owner to deal with. This is the only bad rust on the car all other trouble spots are clean and solid. thanks for your help.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 18 2015, 11:13 AM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Can't really tell how much rust is there. Are there pin holes or larger? Are you or a friend/family going to repair it? It may cost $500+ to repair it. Not sure if you'll get the value out of the sale.

If the rest of the car is in good shape, that should carry a good price. These cars are 40+ years old; none are perfect.
+Quote Post
BK911
post Sep 18 2015, 11:17 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,674

From the pictures, it looks like a wire wheel and some POR-15 should do the trick.
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 18 2015, 11:21 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 18 2015, 01:13 PM) *

Can't really tell how much rust is there. Are there pin holes or larger? Are you or a friend/family going to repair it? It may cost $500+ to repair it. Not sure if you'll get the value out of the sale.

If the rest of the car is in good shape, that should carry a good price. These cars are 40+ years old; none are perfect.

there are some bigger holes. Biggest is maybe quarter size and where the floor meets the back has a gap that was covered from the factory caulk. not really to bad considering the others I've seen. It looked better before I wire wheeled it. I can do repairs myself. I was thinking putting a new rear pan in it. Just didn't know if i't would be worth fixing just to sell it. Thanks for responding
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Sep 18 2015, 11:39 AM
Post #5

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

a proper repair is going to cost more than you will gain by doing it. A cover up will turn prospective buyers off for god. If you want to try for a couple extra bucks, cut it all out and get it prepped for a new panel. I for one would rather see it all cut out and cleaned ready for repair, than the swiss cheese it currently is. Otherwise leave it be and take what you can get.
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 18 2015, 11:42 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 18 2015, 01:39 PM) *

a proper repair is going to cost more than you will gain by doing it. A cover up will turn prospective buyers off for god. If you want to try for a couple extra bucks, cut it all out and get it prepped for a new panel. I for one would rather see it all cut out and cleaned ready for repair, than the swiss cheese it currently is. Otherwise leave it be and take what you can get.

Thanks. Any idea on the negative effect it should have on price? Just curious.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Sep 18 2015, 11:47 AM
Post #7

rust free you say ?

QUOTE(mckeedad6 @ Sep 18 2015, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 18 2015, 01:39 PM) *

Thanks. Any idea on the negative effect it should have on price? Just curious.

a proper trunk repair from a good shop is going to run 1500-2000.00 parts and labor. That is all depending on the shops rate, how perfect you want it done, and what may lie under the known issue. I would suspect someone looking to do it themselves might want to knock 500.00 +or- off
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Sep 18 2015, 11:51 AM
Post #8

rust free you say ?

FWIW by proper repair, i mean :

removing the old section, sandblast and etch priming the exposed metal, hammer and dolly any distortion, fit the new panel, spot weld it back in, hammer and dolly any new distortion, sand and prime the whole lot, replace the cover piece in the center, swap the old stamped number over, seam seal and paint
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 18 2015, 11:57 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 18 2015, 01:51 PM) *

FWIW by proper repair, i mean :

removing the old section, sandblast and etch priming the exposed metal, hammer and dolly any distortion, fit the new panel, spot weld it back in, hammer and dolly any new distortion, sand and prime the whole lot, replace the cover piece in the center, swap the old stamped number over, seam seal and paint

That's how I would repair it. Just don't know if I want to spend the time on it for a small gain. Any thoughts on how to price the car. Would like to get a fair price for it. i could pm details if you are willing to help.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 18 2015, 12:16 PM
Post #10

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

We cant tell you anything on how to price the car without more pics and details. If its just a roller car it probably isnt worth any more than 1k.

It looks like there are some decent sized holes in there. Its a great spot to learn to weld and fix as its not structural, its really easy to get to, and fixing it is fairly easy. You could patch up most of those holes in a weekend if you knew what you were doing.

IMHO I would fix it. Some 16ga steel, a wire wheel, a true mig welder, and an air grinder will make quick work of it. Do one patch at a time and patch to good metal. Use tach welds or 1/2" beads. Finish it up with a flap wheel grinder, rust preventative paint (Like Por 15), some primer, maybe some glaze putty if you want and some paint and you've got a nice repair. Note you need to treat and paint the underside as well.
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 18 2015, 12:31 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 18 2015, 02:16 PM) *

We cant tell you anything on how to price the car without more pics and details. If its just a roller car it probably isnt worth any more than 1k.

It looks like there are some decent sized holes in there. Its a great spot to learn to weld and fix as its not structural, its really easy to get to, and fixing it is fairly easy. You could patch up most of those holes in a weekend if you knew what you were doing.

IMHO I would fix it. Some 16ga steel, a wire wheel, a true mig welder, and an air grinder will make quick work of it. Do one patch at a time and patch to good metal. Use tach welds or 1/2" beads. Finish it up with a flap wheel grinder, rust preventative paint (Like Por 15), some primer, maybe some glaze putty if you want and some paint and you've got a nice repair. Note you need to treat and paint the underside as well.

I was thinking of getting a replacement panel from Restoration Design and repairing it that way. I am going to get pics this weekend and post them. i have some in another post. I didn't know if I could add here. ( I'm new to this forum ) It is far from a roller. It was restored in 94/95 ish motor completely rebuilt and all problem areas fixed. I have receipts to show all work done at that time and new clutch and other maintenance. I am replacing the fuel pump but it runs and drives great. It was restored in Pa and brought to MI for couple years. since 2000 ish it has been in Az just driven occasionally. The trunk is worst part of car. all other parts are solid. Its a 1.8 with original fi still installed and un molested.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 18 2015, 12:33 PM
Post #12

Here are couple more pics for now.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Sep 18 2015, 12:38 PM
Post #13

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

So it is in AZ now or MI?
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 18 2015, 01:56 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 18 2015, 02:38 PM) *

So it is in AZ now or MI?

It is in MI now. Brought it home last week. My uncle didn't have room to keep it at his place and hasn't drove it in a while. I'm about 4 hours from you.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 18 2015, 07:49 PM
Post #15

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

mcMark can help you now, he is in Detroit area....
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 18 2015, 07:58 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 18 2015, 09:49 PM) *

That would be great. Is there a way to get a hold of him or if he pm me i can give him my number. I'll take any help advice I can get. Do you know where in Det area he is?
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Sep 19 2015, 06:56 AM
Post #17

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(mckeedad6 @ Sep 18 2015, 06:58 PM) *

That would be great. Is there a way to get a hold of him or if he pm me i can give him my number. I'll take any help advice I can get. Do you know where in Det area he is?

McMark is not in the Detroit area. He is in Grand Rapids area which is the other side of the state. Look for information on Original Customs.
+Quote Post
mckeedad6
post Sep 19 2015, 07:16 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 19 2015, 08:56 AM) *

QUOTE(mckeedad6 @ Sep 18 2015, 06:58 PM) *

McMark is not in the Detroit area. He is in Grand Rapids area which is the other side of the state. Look for information on Original Customs.

Oh ok. Yeah that's 3 hrs from me. I'll check that out. Thanks
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Sep 19 2015, 07:18 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 13,469

I recommend you remove the rocker panels and take a look at the longs. I don't believe that McMark will be open for business until the end of the month. I'm about one hr away.

BTW car looks good from the photos

David
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Sep 19 2015, 07:27 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 18,986

It's hard to believe (seeing what that trunk looks like) there is NO other rust problems on the car. That said, I would probably leave it alone and sell the car as is; you won't recover the cost of a proper repair in your sale.

By that I mean, lets say it costs $1500 for a complete repair of the trunk. And you want (for example) $7000 for the car as is. You'd be hard pressed IMHO to then justify an $8500 price for the car if it was repaired.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 05:11 PM