Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Stacks914, Might be part of a build off????
Mikey914
post Sep 28 2015, 04:47 PM
Post #21

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

As long as you can verify the points as per the maintence manual it could be ok, but I'd start looking at it before going crazy. Easier to make corrections now than later. This is another good thing to document. There are measuring tools that you can acquire to check the measurements, basically a straight rod with to reference points that have a digital slide that tells the distance. Not sure what they are called, but if you can verify the measurements prior to doing the build it would be in your best interest.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Sep 29 2015, 12:27 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 18,582

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 28 2015, 02:33 PM) *

I don't mean to be offensive or tell you what to do here, BUT you're undertaking a pretty critical change on a very rusty car that you did NO bracing to before cutting out a bunch of metal. Now..... IF..... you have a bench or frame jig of some sort you plan to mount the body to in order to complete the Vette swap, all is good, but IMHO you just f-ed the car by not doing anything to reinforce it prior to removing a lot of structural integrity.

IMHO you need to stop right now, find someone with a solid project car nearby and make a heavy duty table off of that car, then mount yours to keep everything in alignment

this makes my head hurt. you don't seem to have any idea of my plans or my actual skill set but just spout off your opinion . Telling me I f'd up a car when you don't know anything about it. Save the 2 cents man you have told me nothing as your assessment is incorrect. the only thing you have told me is you just jump conclusions and base your opinion on partial or false information. This build has no use for you. You in fact are wasting both our time here
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Sep 29 2015, 06:06 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Sep 29 2015, 02:27 AM) *

I don't mean to be offensive or tell you what to do here, BUT you're undertaking a pretty critical change on a very rusty car that you did NO bracing to before cutting out a bunch of metal. Now..... IF..... you have a bench or frame jig of some sort you plan to mount the body to in order to complete the Vette swap, all is good, but IMHO you just f-ed the car by not doing anything to reinforce it prior to removing a lot of structural integrity.

IMHO you need to stop right now, find someone with a solid project car nearby and make a heavy duty table off of that car, then mount yours to keep everything in alignment

this makes my head hurt. you don't seem to have any idea of my plans or my actual skill set but just spout off your opinion . Telling me I f'd up a car when you don't know anything about it. Save the 2 cents man you have told me nothing as your assessment is incorrect. the only thing you have told me is you just jump conclusions and base your opinion on partial or false information. This build has no use for you. You in fact are wasting both our time here

Not the way to make a lot of friends here. Scotty may not know YOUR car or project but he knows a lot about these cars in general.

Unless you are building a complete tube frame from scratch and just dropping a 914 shell on it, keeping the tub straight with bracing is critical. especially with all the welding you will be doing.

I will be cheering for you to get this finished in 1 year .....

+Quote Post
scotty b
post Sep 29 2015, 06:38 AM
Post #24

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Sep 28 2015, 10:27 PM) *

I apologize. You are absolutely right, I should not have espoused my mis-informed opinion of your car or your work. I'll sit quietly on the sideline watching with bated breath. Best of luck on your build (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 29 2015, 06:49 AM
Post #25

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Sep 29 2015, 02:02 PM
Post #26

Scott I am sorry I am sure you are a valuable asset to the boardI should have not went off. it gets late I get cranky when assumptions are made. please accept my apologies and while I do appreciate your input I just did not like the way it was delivered. Anyway the car has a long kit that is already on. The car was amazingly square and still is. But I will be building a cage for the car as well.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Sep 29 2015, 04:48 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 1,179

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I applaud you both. It is so refreshing to see people acting like adults! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Oct 1 2015, 01:08 AM
Post #28

Update Eric@kitcarchassis.com has been in contact and while my adapter has been delayed I am told it will be on its way!!
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Oct 2 2015, 07:41 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 17,743

QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Sep 29 2015, 04:02 PM) *

...I get cranky when assumptions are made.

The minute you start posting pictures, you reveal a ton of information about your car. You may notice when people here ask for advice and post a picture, responders often pick out amazingly obscure details from the photo. Point being: I don't think many assumptions are being made here. You are showing your car, your shop, and your workmanship in these photos. I don't think anyone here was knocking you, rather they were trying to help you make a successful project.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 2 2015, 10:33 AM
Post #30

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Would you mind updating your first post to include details of your car?

Looks like an interesting an huge project! I really hope you can get it done as I would love to see the fab work.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 2 2015, 11:18 AM
Post #31

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Oh boy, that is going to be a lot of work...I love it!

I might have to subscribe to this build!

+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Oct 2 2015, 12:37 PM
Post #32

This is from the front

Ok guys I am posting picks of building my car. I have about three days maybe 12 hours total on this Build of actual of the car. I am in a build off.... So here are pics of the car and what I have been doing. I am really just currently deconstructing. The build will have a corvette c6 front and C5 rear suspension and a tube chassis, and c5 z06 rims that are 17/18. The powertrain I have is a 5.3 out of an 04 silverado. the trans is a boxster S unit. I also have a 70mm turbo for the engine. I have purchased but am still waiting on the adapter. Will probably be extending the rear of the car at least 5-8 inches as I would like to use the stock accesorys. or I would like to keep the power streering pump at least and the alternator. I am a bigger guy and really cannot sacrifice any room inside. Plus I would like a nice stereo in there(and a hot woman). And that is about it. I am just a one man operation building this car out of his garage. I do not own a shop. I will be doing all of the work myself or as much as possible. I realize I am in a build off but really this is cheap entertainment for me. So please lets keep it entertaining. Currently in Omaha NE and no one knows what this car is. but they do think its cute and want one...lol. I have not seen one of these on the road in years. I have 2. This red one I bought with the intentions of flipping and making some quick money. After about 6 weeks of trying to sort out the engine my patience and money I had allocated for this car was done. So it became the focus of the build only becuase it was titled in Ne and would not have go through inspection. I realize I am in way over my head here thats where i am comfortable. The welding on the car will be conducted by a local professional that works on nuclear reactors until I am comfortable I can do it but its really not that hard and I am getting better. While I am currently on 31 total hours of work time. I have about 6 months of research into the car putting together a broad stroke design and I do not have every aspect of this car figured out in my head. I deal with the details as they arise! this might seam maddning to some of you but please bare with me!

The details I have not figured out yet are! Yes I realize some of this stuff is a few hours google searching.

Wiring harness: I have spent alot of time rewiring some of the factory porsche unit! I would like to ditch and update the whole thing! Anyone know a good one I could buy that will run the lights, engine, radio, and maybe a hvac system one day. Or at least an updated fuse boxe and I will wire and soldier one together? Would like to stay in the $400 range
Boxster S Trans: I really have a bare boxster S trans I do not know what it takes to get it shifting entirely in my car, or how much it will cost?
Radiator with fans: I have not found one yet or looked too deaply into this. When I get closer to needing it which will be soon I will. I just need the radiator I am not buying a kit? I see these pop up for a vette on craigs sometimes. really like the Factory 5 gtm install of these thoughts opinions? Dollar figure?
Intercooler: I just haven't bought one and the tubing yet
ECU: the fianl tuning willl be done by a professinal shop with dyno
Fender Flares: I really like the plastic/riveted on look! Love liberty walk stuff!!
Rear axles: will need porsche to corvette hubs
methanol kit/80#injectors/bosche 044 fuel pump/tires/5 point belts/600hp rated clutch
probably will stuff at least 7 speakers into the car

The whole engine build is a few months away! though I might scrap the turbo system and build a destroked ls engine that revs as it would be more suited to the boxster trans either way 500whp should be attainable. I just love high revving engines but boost builds power cheap

My toying with a dream additions (probably not going to make it)
keyless push buttom start/power windows/locks
Vintage heat and A/C
Ring and pinion swap/lsd for trans

My budgete is about 2-300 a week on top of what I have bought!
+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Oct 2 2015, 12:42 PM
Post #33

Hey motherfucker I know everything there is to know!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I AM TOTALLY kidding i apologized for it as Scott did lets not bring up a dead horse and move on please!!! PLEASE. I know i know very little about this stuff and shoould shut up and listen sometimes as yes he was trying to help!

QUOTE(mbseto @ Oct 2 2015, 05:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Sep 29 2015, 04:02 PM) *

...I get cranky when assumptions are made.

The minute you start posting pictures, you reveal a ton of information about your car. You may notice when people here ask for advice and post a picture, responders often pick out amazingly obscure details from the photo. Point being: I don't think many assumptions are being made here. You are showing your car, your shop, and your workmanship in these photos. I don't think anyone here was knocking you, rather they were trying to help you make a successful project.

+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Oct 3 2015, 02:20 AM
Post #34

Cleaning out garage today weighing some things

72 Door weight = 36 lbs
75 Door weight =58 lbs

72 Bumpers = 19 lbs
75 Bumpers = 48 lbs both front and rear weigh the same

About 100lb savings just in these two areas going with the older ones! Of course your going to lose that 5 star crash rating. These were weighed by me today back to back the Hydraulic rams for the 75 bumpers seamed to be about 20lbs total as well. So thats an easy 120lbs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

+Quote Post
AndyB
post Oct 4 2015, 05:48 AM
Post #35

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 26 2015, 03:45 PM) *

L31M? Scarlet Red...that's painful.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) that was the color of my build.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Oct 4 2015, 07:03 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Do you have health insurance ?
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Oct 4 2015, 07:28 AM
Post #37

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Oct 4 2015, 10:36 AM
Post #38

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 4 2015, 05:03 AM) *

Do you have health insurance ?

of course why wouold I need it? Something wrong with the paint? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Oct 4 2015, 12:27 PM
Post #39

Today I am spending it chasing my buddy who has a corvette down with a framing square. And a tape measure
+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Oct 6 2015, 11:13 AM
Post #40

Got a power assisted steering column from an 05 equinox $50 at a junkyard. EBay has a kit that controls it. You can dial in more or less feel it's 75 shipped. Not a bad deal
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 12:01 PM