Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New V8 Car Paint Job, poll to choose color
New V8 Car Paint Job
New V8 Car Paint Job
Summer Yellow [ 6 ] ** [11.76%]
Nepal Orange [ 7 ] ** [13.73%]
Anacona Blue [ 15 ] ** [29.41%]
Laguna Blue [ 1 ] ** [1.96%]
Scarlet Red [ 2 ] ** [3.92%]
Malaga Red [ 2 ] ** [3.92%]
Silver Metallic [ 7 ] ** [13.73%]
Viper Green [ 5 ] ** [9.80%]
Light Ivory [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Black [ 6 ] ** [11.76%]
Total Votes: 51
Guests cannot vote 
914GT
post Mar 5 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm soon going to paint this car. I'd like to use the DuPont Chromabase I already have, and am leaning toward a bright red that is very close to the stock 76 Scarlet Red. The second choice is a yellow, similar to Chrome or Sunflower yellow. But I'd like to know what you all think I should paint it. What is most popular? I listed out colors that were available for 1976. The original was Anacona Blue. If you were buying this car what color would you want?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
skline
post Mar 5 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #2

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I say go back to original color with it, there are so few original color cars out there in that color. Yellow is my favorite but there are so many now.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Mar 5 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #3

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Annaconna Blue! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Mar 5 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #4

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

Whatever you do don't paint it yellow. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

The original color is one of my favorites. It was only used for a couple of years.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Mar 5 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #5

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792

I voted Black since Aubergine wasn't a choice!!
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Mar 5 2005, 08:06 PM
Post #6

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271

Ummm.. Yellow...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
seanery
post Mar 5 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #7

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

beautiful shot QcKarl!!!
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 5 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #8

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Depends....do ya have a rep fer pissing off the local cops? Go white or blue or something that blends in....if you are married to the daughter of the local Sheriff....go "arrest me red" or "speed and go to jail yellow"....
+Quote Post
914GT
post Mar 5 2005, 08:48 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 5 2005, 07:41 PM)
Depends....do ya have a rep fer pissing off the local cops? Go white or blue or something that blends in....if you are married to the daughter of the local Sheriff....go "arrest me red" or "speed and go to jail yellow"....

Cop attraction factor doesn't matter to me. Soon as this car is done it's going up for sale.

This poll is making me rethink the original blue. I really like that color and have never painted a blue yet. My son says black - with graphite gray or red racing stripes across the top. I don't know about that.

Great looking garage Karl! Puts my dust pit to shame. Too much working and not enough cleaning.
+Quote Post
skline
post Mar 5 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #10

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (914GT @ Mar 5 2005, 06:48 PM)
Great looking garage Karl! Puts my dust pit to shame. Too much working and not enough cleaning.

I have that same problem!!!
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 5 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #11

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Unless the paint job is done REAL cheap or you do it yourself...."I" would just prep it for paint and let the buyer choose...

You can always paint to order or let the buyer do it himself. A wild color can be a turn off....ask me how I know.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
914GT
post Mar 5 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 5 2005, 07:52 PM)
Unless the paint job is done REAL cheap or you do it yourself...."I" would just prep it for paint and let the buyer choose...

You can always paint to order or let the buyer do it himself. A wild color can be a turn off....ask me how I know.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)

Paint to order would be a great idea if we already had a buyer who put down a deposit. As it stands now we have no commited buyer and the final sales price is to be determined. We want this to be a finished car when done so the trunks, engine compartment, etc. are all painted. We don't want to assemble the car in primer. I agree - no wild paint jobs. But the original blue, or a few of the other stock colors including black would be good sellers. The body work on this car willbe one of its selling points so it needs a great paint job to show it off. I do all the body and paint work in my own shop.
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Mar 5 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #13

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

I have heard it here. In a number of different threads. That yellow. Is faster.
+Quote Post
Tom73
post Mar 5 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,792

Go origional (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
72914S
post Mar 6 2005, 09:26 AM
Post #15

love this shot

Member No.: 900
Region Association: South East States

Original is good but I didn't like white. So Guards Red(AKA ticket red)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
type47fan
post Mar 6 2005, 10:51 AM
Post #16

It Looks Better In Person. . .

Member No.: 1,170

IMHO, if you're keeping the rubber bumpers, my choice for the body color would be BLACK. The lines of the car are really complimented well in that monotone representation.

Finished off with black center/polished lip FUCHS 5 spokes. . . (see avatar at left).
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 6 2005, 10:54 AM
Post #17

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Viper Green! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif) Viper Green! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif) Viper Green! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
914GT
post Mar 7 2005, 06:09 PM
Post #18

Well, I made a decision on the paint. I was tempted to go with the blue, but basic economics finally swayed me back to using one of the paints I had in stock. Good quality urethane paint goes for well over $100-$150 /gallon. And every dollar that goes into this car is a dollar less into our pockets. Part of the challenge is to build this car on a budget yet still have it well-built and high quality. So, it's going to be a bright red, I would say is very close to Guards Red. The photos do not do it justice, and makes it look kind of orange. But it is VERY red. So far the trunks and engine bay. Maybe do the rest this week. We'll see how it goes.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Mar 7 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #19

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

Guy,

How can you get so much done so fast? You have a team of helpers over there don't you?

I am still screwing around trying to install a new engine shelf & battery tray. Do you think it will be ok to use single stage paint in my engine compartment?

I was hoping to come see the project some time. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
914GT
post Mar 7 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (MarkV @ Mar 7 2005, 07:04 PM)
Guy,

How can you get so much done so fast? You have a team of helpers over there don't you?

I am still screwing around trying to install a new engine shelf & battery tray. Do you think it will be ok to use single stage paint in my engine compartment?

I was hoping to come see the project some time. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif)

Hi Mark

I wish I had a team of helpers! There are a couple of things that help me out. First of all, I'm just getting better and more efficient at doing this stuff. I've painted more than a dozen cars, which included a lot of body work and collison repair, in the past 20 months or so. Just yesterday I helped my son on his old Chevy truck. He had a creased driver door and fender from his 'friend' backing into it. We pulled the fender and dollied the dent out, then used a shrinking hammer to take the oil-canning dent out of the door. Then did the whole cab with filler in low spots, block sanded, and had it in 2k primer by evening and ready for him to drive home. Next weekend he may bring it back over for paint. Work that would have taken us days to do a couple years ago we can now do in hours (beer helps too - but not too much! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)

The second thing that helps me is on days that I telecommute I can take a couple hours in the afternoon to work on something else, like the cars. This give me a break from the computer. Then later at night I get back on the computer and put in more hours. In fact this works out good for me because I deal with several folks in Taiwan, Korea, Australia, etc. and I can work with them while they are in the office (usually instant messenging and email) and not have to wait until the following day for replies to emails.

Single-stage paint will be fine for what you're doing. Stop over sometime, I still have your parts and have not put them on eBay yet. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:25 AM