Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New V8 Car Paint Job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914GT
I'm soon going to paint this car. I'd like to use the DuPont Chromabase I already have, and am leaning toward a bright red that is very close to the stock 76 Scarlet Red. The second choice is a yellow, similar to Chrome or Sunflower yellow. But I'd like to know what you all think I should paint it. What is most popular? I listed out colors that were available for 1976. The original was Anacona Blue. If you were buying this car what color would you want?
skline
I say go back to original color with it, there are so few original color cars out there in that color. Yellow is my favorite but there are so many now.
seanery
Annaconna Blue! smilie_pokal.gif
MarkV
Whatever you do don't paint it yellow. wink.gif

The original color is one of my favorites. It was only used for a couple of years.
tat2dphreak
I voted Black since Aubergine wasn't a choice!!
Qarl
Ummm.. Yellow...
seanery
beautiful shot QcKarl!!!
Joe Bob
Depends....do ya have a rep fer pissing off the local cops? Go white or blue or something that blends in....if you are married to the daughter of the local Sheriff....go "arrest me red" or "speed and go to jail yellow"....
914GT
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 5 2005, 07:41 PM)
Depends....do ya have a rep fer pissing off the local cops? Go white or blue or something that blends in....if you are married to the daughter of the local Sheriff....go "arrest me red" or "speed and go to jail yellow"....

Cop attraction factor doesn't matter to me. Soon as this car is done it's going up for sale.

This poll is making me rethink the original blue. I really like that color and have never painted a blue yet. My son says black - with graphite gray or red racing stripes across the top. I don't know about that.

Great looking garage Karl! Puts my dust pit to shame. Too much working and not enough cleaning.
skline
QUOTE (914GT @ Mar 5 2005, 06:48 PM)
Great looking garage Karl! Puts my dust pit to shame. Too much working and not enough cleaning.

I have that same problem!!!
Joe Bob
Unless the paint job is done REAL cheap or you do it yourself...."I" would just prep it for paint and let the buyer choose...

You can always paint to order or let the buyer do it himself. A wild color can be a turn off....ask me how I know.... blink.gif
914GT
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 5 2005, 07:52 PM)
Unless the paint job is done REAL cheap or you do it yourself...."I" would just prep it for paint and let the buyer choose...

You can always paint to order or let the buyer do it himself. A wild color can be a turn off....ask me how I know.... blink.gif

Paint to order would be a great idea if we already had a buyer who put down a deposit. As it stands now we have no commited buyer and the final sales price is to be determined. We want this to be a finished car when done so the trunks, engine compartment, etc. are all painted. We don't want to assemble the car in primer. I agree - no wild paint jobs. But the original blue, or a few of the other stock colors including black would be good sellers. The body work on this car willbe one of its selling points so it needs a great paint job to show it off. I do all the body and paint work in my own shop.
balljoint
I have heard it here. In a number of different threads. That yellow. Is faster.
Tom73
Go origional aktion035.gif
72914S
Original is good but I didn't like white. So Guards Red(AKA ticket red)
type47fan
IMHO, if you're keeping the rubber bumpers, my choice for the body color would be BLACK. The lines of the car are really complimented well in that monotone representation.

Finished off with black center/polished lip FUCHS 5 spokes. . . (see avatar at left).
rick 918-S
Viper Green! aktion035.gif Viper Green! aktion035.gif aktion035.gif Viper Green! aktion035.gif
914GT
Well, I made a decision on the paint. I was tempted to go with the blue, but basic economics finally swayed me back to using one of the paints I had in stock. Good quality urethane paint goes for well over $100-$150 /gallon. And every dollar that goes into this car is a dollar less into our pockets. Part of the challenge is to build this car on a budget yet still have it well-built and high quality. So, it's going to be a bright red, I would say is very close to Guards Red. The photos do not do it justice, and makes it look kind of orange. But it is VERY red. So far the trunks and engine bay. Maybe do the rest this week. We'll see how it goes.

MarkV
Guy,

How can you get so much done so fast? You have a team of helpers over there don't you?

I am still screwing around trying to install a new engine shelf & battery tray. Do you think it will be ok to use single stage paint in my engine compartment?

I was hoping to come see the project some time. mueba.gif
914GT
QUOTE (MarkV @ Mar 7 2005, 07:04 PM)
Guy,

How can you get so much done so fast? You have a team of helpers over there don't you?

I am still screwing around trying to install a new engine shelf & battery tray. Do you think it will be ok to use single stage paint in my engine compartment?

I was hoping to come see the project some time. mueba.gif

Hi Mark

I wish I had a team of helpers! There are a couple of things that help me out. First of all, I'm just getting better and more efficient at doing this stuff. I've painted more than a dozen cars, which included a lot of body work and collison repair, in the past 20 months or so. Just yesterday I helped my son on his old Chevy truck. He had a creased driver door and fender from his 'friend' backing into it. We pulled the fender and dollied the dent out, then used a shrinking hammer to take the oil-canning dent out of the door. Then did the whole cab with filler in low spots, block sanded, and had it in 2k primer by evening and ready for him to drive home. Next weekend he may bring it back over for paint. Work that would have taken us days to do a couple years ago we can now do in hours (beer helps too - but not too much! beer.gif

The second thing that helps me is on days that I telecommute I can take a couple hours in the afternoon to work on something else, like the cars. This give me a break from the computer. Then later at night I get back on the computer and put in more hours. In fact this works out good for me because I deal with several folks in Taiwan, Korea, Australia, etc. and I can work with them while they are in the office (usually instant messenging and email) and not have to wait until the following day for replies to emails.

Single-stage paint will be fine for what you're doing. Stop over sometime, I still have your parts and have not put them on eBay yet. biggrin.gif
type47fan
Red is good, too!
MarkV
I thought about stopping by yesterday. Spent some time trying to figure out my deck height. Shims came in the mail today. Need to finish the engine bay so I can put the engine back in.

The more I think about it the more I think I want to hire you to paint my car. I want to do it myself but you have the learning curve thing whipped.

TravisNeff
Get RED buddy!
Rand
As Henry said... any color you want, as long as it's black. That V8 bad boy needs to look the part. I love this one:

user posted image

Mine's no beauty like that, but I do like my black with a red pinstripe along the top of the side... Can't make it out too well in this crummy photo, but it's all I have right now:

user posted image
Flat VW
w00t.gif Hello Guy,

That car you had up here needed paint? screwy.gif

I did not look REAL CLOSE but it looked pretty darn good to me. unsure.gif

You should not have exposed, (again), that you do paint and body work to the people of this world. clap.gif

I will be tapping you for a favor very soon based on this information. cool_shades.gif

John

P.S. any color other than red, oops too late I see. mueba.gif
914GT
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Mar 8 2005, 01:42 PM)
w00t.gif Hello Guy,

That car you had up here needed paint? screwy.gif

I did not look REAL CLOSE but it looked pretty darn good to me. unsure.gif

You should not have exposed, (again), that you do paint and body work to the people of this world. clap.gif

I will be tapping you for a favor very soon based on this information. cool_shades.gif

John

P.S. any color other than red, oops too late I see. mueba.gif

John, now that I look back on it, maybe all it did need was a little wax. laugh.gif

user posted image
user posted image

Did I expose myself again? I'm in for trouble now. I wonder what that little favor could be... dare I ask? My day job is interfering with the fun stuff. I think I could quit and do this fulltime if it wasn't for that regular paycheck.
914GT
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 8 2005, 12:24 PM)
Get RED buddy!

That's what it will be! Red trimmed out in black.
914GT
QUOTE (MarkV @ Mar 7 2005, 07:43 PM)
I thought about stopping by yesterday. Spent some time trying to figure out my deck height. Shims came in the mail today. Need to finish the engine bay so I can put the engine back in.

The more I think about it the more I think I want to hire you to paint my car. I want to do it myself but you have the learning curve thing whipped.

Mark - what's that engine displacement? Looking forward to you getting it back on the road. Have it ready for the next 914club drive.
914GT
QUOTE (RandyLok @ Mar 8 2005, 01:17 PM)
As Henry said... any color you want, as long as it's black. That V8 bad boy needs to look the part.

I like black too, and it really shows off good bodywork. Or draws attention to bad bodywork. Personally I wouldn't want a black 914 with black vinyl interior here in Arizona, with no A/C. Think of a toaster oven. But who knows where this car will end up. I painted a black 84 Blazer last December. Came out beautiful but drove me nuts trying to keep it clean till the owner showed up for it. Every little spec of dust and lint showed up on it.

I also like the 914 'sleeper' concept. A totally stock looking car but with some hidden testosterone lurking inside. wink.gif
MarkV
QUOTE (914GT @ Mar 8 2005, 01:27 PM)
[Mark - what's that engine displacement? Looking forward to you getting it back on the road. Have it ready for the next 914club drive.

It's about 35% of the displacement of yours. laugh.gif
Flat VW
confused24.gif
QUOTE (914GT @ Mar 5 2005, 04:59 PM)
I'm soon going to paint this car. (next to avatar photo of the yellow V-8 car)
confused24.gif

I thought you were re-painting the yellow car. screwy.gif

Nevermind. bs.gif

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.