Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2016 Build-Off Challenge - Official Contest Thread, AND THE WINNER IS . . .
whitetwinturbo
post Dec 30 2015, 08:41 PM
Post #121

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 30 2015, 11:15 AM) *

I asked the same question in his thread, Phoenix red!

LOVE it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

What year was that color?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Dec 30 2015, 10:29 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 1,179
Region Association: None

December update
Short answer, very little.
A little more paint removal.
Super busy at work and lots of travel are my excuses.
No vendor deals, won't get to use the December 31st group as I am nowhere near ready. Oh well.
No suprises
I will have to add pic when I get back in town.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
budk
post Dec 31 2015, 01:31 PM
Post #123

Yes! It's a Bumblebee!

Member No.: 11,970
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

December update:
Spent most of the month working on determining what parts to replace, which ones to buy and which ones to make. I received a nice shipment from Restoration Design and I have another order in with them and with Pelican and both of those should be here next week. I’m confident that next month’s report will show significant progress as my plan has been to start patching in January.

Speaking of patching, I counted over 30 patches on this car that were done (and done poorly) by the previous owner(s). So, as far as what challenges were encountered I would have to say that getting the car soda-blasted revealed a lot more body work problems than I, or anyone else who looked at this car, expected to find. My answer to those challenges was to simply buy more replacement panels than I thought I would have to.

Attached Image

Since winter is upon us and I know that there will be some days where its too cold to function in the garage, I decided to layout my wire harness on some plywood in my basement. I plan to check every wire and replace as needed, clean every connector and rewrap the harness as needed. If I get ambitious, I might label every wire so that it will be easier to install it when that time comes. As bad as the body is, the harness is not much better. Lots of wires that have multiple splices in them, wires that have damaged insulation and wires that appear to go nowhere. I don’t know how much I will work on this in the coming months since it is a low priority task, but the goal will to have the harness done by the time the car is ready to paint.

Attached Image

No shops provided any services. It’s too much fun doing it myself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Vysoc
post Dec 31 2015, 03:07 PM
Post #124

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737
Region Association: South East States

Vysoc - Yellow Sub - December Update 2015

Hello it is December Update Time and I actually have some progress to report?

I have just added a bunch of detail to my regular thread and probably too many photo's but there is a lot to see.

This month I was able to accomplish the following tasks:
1) Repaired five (5) different areas of major rust along the tunnel and front firewall.

2) Cut out remaining areas of the floor board in preparation for the new floor board
installation.

3) Welded in my new Restoration Design (355L) Driver's Side Middle Brace.

4) Cleaned up and treated all of my Tunnel tubes and reinforced the Clutch Tube,
then treated all with Eastwood"s Internal Frame Coating (the Green Stuff).

5) Fit-Up Driver's and Passenger side Floor Pans, cut off overlap and prepped for
Seam/Butt weld from top to bottom.

6) Butt Welded Floor Pans together, grinded and prepped for early January
attachment after I make a couple of other small things right, while I still have
great access without the floor pans in the way!

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Happy New Year everyone here's to getting these car's done prior to Okteenerfest 2016!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Dec 31 2015, 07:08 PM
Post #125

Member No.: 18,106

It feels like I did a lot this month (maybe because I did all the work in the 2nd half), but when I look back I didn't do all that much. But what I did do was some major stuff.

1. This month's accomplishments: Welded in the wheelhouse, engine compartment long, and a few other little pieces.

2. I can't recall any major challenges unless you count the mother-in-law's visit... I kid! I kid! The biggest challenges were getting the pieces all prepped and fitted while finding the best ways of securing them, finding the location of the motor mount console, and contorting to weld pieces in without having cut up the fender. But of course the granddaddy of this month's challenges was the days spent measuring, bracing, and remeasuring to get the car square before welding in such critical pieces. How I pray I was successful.

3. I received no services or donation from vendors, but watching my bank account I'm really hoping somebody steps forward to help...haha

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914-d
post Dec 31 2015, 09:21 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 15,974
Region Association: Northern California

December is my busiest month of the year at work, so not a lot. Got some work done on the engine cradleAttached Image

Haven't bought anything this month.

Shopping for custom length axels. Looks like this will be the most expensive part of the project.

If anyone has a line on someone to make axels...let me know

+Quote Post
Garland
post Dec 31 2015, 10:44 PM
Post #127

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

December Update: Michigan Build
Michigan Build Link
Build progress :

Finished up the flares, 3 of the valances, and mounted up new tires on new rims.

Unexpected challenges:

Nothing big this month

Vendors:

I purchased from PMB Performance, Eckler's Automotion, and Local.

Progress Pictures:

Attached Image Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jan 1 2016, 12:59 PM
Post #128

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Meant to post yesterday, but a buddy stopped by with a couple growlers, and then we had a wee dram of something else, and then we were toasting the new year. So happy new year, all!

Progress: Reached a milestone: first new metal welded into the car. Probably no big deal for most, but I am pretty excited about it. So much of my work so far has been disassembly, cleaning, and cutting out rusted metal. All tear-down. I've been anxious to start building up, and now here I am.

Challenges: As ever, the challenges are finding time, and learning as I go. Working on the front firewall, I was wondering what to do about the tunnel. Found Perry Kiehl's post with his procedure for treating the tunnel:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=116018&hl=
(post #12)
Had to rethink my strategy at this point- realized that at some point during the build, almost every edge of the floor pan will the cut. Decided to proceed with replacing the longs without welding the floor pan edges back, then drop the floor out completely to rustproof the tunnel.

Vendor products: My dad and sis got me the carpet kit for Christmas from 914rubber. It will be a long time before it's ready to go in, but it does encourage one to keep plugging.

So here's the front corner with all the rust cut out. You can see the floor (which transitions into the steering tunnel), and the edge of the firewall inside that, and the fwd edge of the tunnel through that. There's a box section that reinforces the well that also needs a patch.
Attached Image

This is the inner-most layer and the first piece of new metal on the car. Super happy to get this in.
Attached Image

Next few session are going to involve building all these layers back up. Hopefully I'll have some more exciting posts coming up soon. Passenger side long will follow.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 1 2016, 11:07 PM
Post #129

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

December update: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2274444

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1449520193_thumb.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1449520136_thumb.jpg)
Reinforced the rear suspension ear and shock tower and finalized the mounting for the engine/trans.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1451672356_thumb.jpg)
Engine in its final resting position (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1450278511_thumb.jpg)
Had to move over the pass trans mount to be able to get the transmission where I wanted it for equal length cv joints.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1451141167.jpg)
Received a BUNCH of goodies but most of them are for the small stereo.

Also received my temp controller for my water to air intercooler. Pretty cool product!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1450278597_thumb.jpg)

And a pic of the motor/turbo just for fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1449520240_thumb.jpg)
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Jan 2 2016, 12:07 AM
Post #130

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

I still look at it every time I go in the shop. I AM going to get something done in the coming months, I promise. Have been getting things in order to help free up some of my time so I can work on the car.

Shoe
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Jan 2 2016, 12:26 AM
Post #131

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

December update:

My tow rig is fixed, and I'll be picking the car up and bringing it to the new house in Utah sometime next week.
The main setback was the part where the transmission went out in my truck, and while they were in there I had them put 4.10 gears in both axles. The pulling power increase was definitely noticeable!
included is a picture of the car, under the cover, waiting for me to come pick it up and get back to work on it.
Relocating switches up resources available.
The next step is the flywheel. It needs machined, and then bolted with the clutch and pressure plate. After I get that step done, I can machine out the holes for the starter.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rightpedal
post Jan 2 2016, 05:28 AM
Post #132

rightpeda;

Member No.: 19,133
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

December update:
Spent a lot of time working on other peoples cars.

I did get the parts car torn apart and mostly removed.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Dad really wants to stand a bunch of these up in my back yard and make a "porsche ranch". Notice its MY back yard.

Worked on engine tin.

Attached Image

Challenges:
Time.

And the idiot who put old stripped flat head screws in my header pad.

Attached Image

No purchases were made.

Budget:

-$1000.00 Original purchase

+$200.00 sold 2 sets of seats

+$400.00 sold targa top, center counsel, muffler, and sun visors

-$300.00 for the 75

-$700.00 In the hole

Goals next month:
Swap dads MGA project out of the shop and put the 75 in. (He is in Florida for the next three months)
Sell some of the "easy sale items"
Get to work on the rear quarters.
+Quote Post
3d914
post Jan 2 2016, 12:50 PM
Post #133

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

914-SHO Project

December Progress: Finished the right section ahead of the rear jack post and welded in the jack post from Restoration Design.

Continued cleaning and prepping the underside for primer in spots. Also drilled remaining holes in center console for access to do rust-proofing, it will also aid in routing the new fuel lines and tying down the break lines.

Challenges: Cold weather & short days. Making room in the garage to continue work on project.

Vendor Participation: None this month.

Pictures:
Here's the area near the jack post that needed rebuilt - before & after.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1442792138.jpg)

Had to form up my own pieces
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1450666349.jpg)

Then added the jack post from Restoration Design
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1450823892.jpg)

Have all the holes in the center console. Now just need warmer weather to do rust-proofing.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1451758215.jpg)

Needed a work bench so that I could take down the two folding tables I was using. This and possibly a 10x12 shed should give me enough space to work in the garage and still keep a car in the other stall.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Jan 3 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #134

New 914 owner in Lakewood CO

Member No.: 19,149
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Happy New Year! This is Amy (Brett & Amy) and this is my first post! Brett has been working on cutting out the rust on the Porsche and says that he is 80% rust free. He was initially using a sawzall and all his blades broke, so he is going to switch to a jigsaw. Wish us luck!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Also some parts arrived from restoration design and hopefully well be welding them in soon.

-Amy & Brett

+Quote Post
MichiganMat
post Jan 5 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #135

Member No.: 6,222

A. A brief description of the progress you made on your build.

December was a tough one but I made enough progress to be well setup for work in the New Year.
• The cage from Tangerine is now fully installed and tied into the rear shock towers.
• The shock tower to trans supports are in and looking pretty good
• Started having conversations with blasting places, American Stripping in Sacramento is sounding like the right place
• Investigated engine and trans options

Mostly I was held up with finishing my brothers 912R-STi and getting it sent out the door. We had to add another radiator, install a trunk carpet kit, and take care of a thousand loose ends. Now that the 912 is wrapped up I can finish putting my 911 back together: new Rennspeed RSR bumper, custom tegris splitter, installation of Wevo rear swaybar mounts, relocation of fuel pump, fixes for a few engine oil leaks, and rebuild of my 915 box. Its been a busy couple of weeks!

B. Any unexpected challenges you encountered this month, and how those challenges were handled.

So many challenges with my other projects taking time away from the 914. Solution: bust ass and get 'em done.

Tying the cage into the suspension points was tricky for two reasons:
• Finding DOM tubing is nearly impossible. I was able to source a 10' stick from a local racecar builder who declined to be named, but I did not expect it to be so hard to find
• Attaching to the rear points was relatively easy but attaching to the front towers looks tricky. I need to investigate other peoples methods before attempting it, I want to make sure I get a complete weld and Im not sure how to get the MIG into a few places.

C. Whether any shops/vendors provided any services for the build during the month, and the value of such services.

• Unnamed racecar builder provided me with 10' stick of DOM to finish my cage, paid market price.
• 914World.com provided me with loads of pictures to study for cage installation ideas
• TangerineRacing.com provided me with prompt and helpful feedback on my cage installation

Unfortunately I don't have any of the full cage install yet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Heres one from early November to hold everyone over until tomorrow, I'll take a few in the morning I promise!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-6222-1446525604.jpg)
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Jan 5 2016, 09:24 PM
Post #136

Member No.: 3,459

I made some additional progress on my 914 project over the last week. Below are some pictures showing the wiring harness installation, dashboard and heater controls installation and a good start on the headlights.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I am finding that the assembly time is only about 15% and that finding the parts and cleaning them is about 85% of the time for reassembling this project.

Oh how I wish I had labeled things better and taken more pictures!

Jeff B
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Jan 12 2016, 07:18 AM
Post #137

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

First round voting will start this weekend. If you haven't posted all of your updates please post them this week, in this thread.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Jan 15 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #138

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

Round one posts will close today. If you haven't posted your updates through the end of the year, post them now. Round one voting starts this weekend.
+Quote Post
Nutter965
post Jan 16 2016, 04:12 AM
Post #139

Member No.: 17,784

Ok challenge update so far !

A) Brief description-

It's been a messy few months since the last update with hospital, burgalaries and Christmas ! So with the shell straight at the front and rear welding has begun, the pedal assembly is now in its proper position with everything welded and I'm now moving the other necessary items to the right hand side of the car (e brake, steering column mount, dimple in the long) the bulkhead is going to be the trickiest part as I want as factory a look as possible.
I also removed all the tar pads from the floors ! thankfully everything was great below them.

I've completed some nice items for the project, the front suspension and brakes are ready for when there needed ! I built my triple gauge ( couldn't resist ) amd i've also started to modify my trailing arms for 911 ebrake set up
But all in all a bit here and there but we're moving forwards,

Vendors involved-

PMB, 914 Rubber, tangerine racing and 914 member John

trial fit of pedal assembly, 911 pedals

Attached Image

Welded in the new pedal floor pan, and old trar removed.

Attached Image

And I've been side tracked a bit and built these bits !

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Nutter965
post Jan 16 2016, 04:13 AM
Post #140

Member No.: 17,784

And this as well

Attached Image
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:21 AM