Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2016 Build-Off Challenge - Official Contest Thread, AND THE WINNER IS . . .
stevegm
post Oct 2 2015, 11:46 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Oct 2 2015, 01:31 PM) *

Steve, I like the logo

Anyone thinking of doing t shirts?

I would be in for 1

Yes. The shirts are almost done being designed. We have a few other ideas, too. But, I don't want anybody to get "Challenge fatigue." We are working on shirts and posters - for the Challengers, and some will be prizes, and will also be available for non-Challengers. I was also thinking it might be cool to put a DVD or YouTube-type video thing together. With 30 builds it might be an interesting story. We also kicked around putting a coffee-table style book together, highlighting each build and how the challenge plays out. Still thinking about that. But, I think it would be cool to do a book that tells the story of these builds. Just ideas.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 3 2015, 11:27 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

CHALLENGERS:

A lot of great work happening on these cars.

If you haven't sent me a picture of you with your car, please email it to me. We are also in the process of doing profiles of each build and need all of your info, if you haven't set it yet. You can check out the Build Profiles (as they get one and posted) - Here.

Challengers are required to post an update at least once per month, explaining what they did that month. But, you are free to post them more frequently - weekly, etc. It is up to you. When you do post an update, it would probably be helpful to post a list of what you did, and then the pictures of the work.

A couple people have asked about vendor discounts. Here is what we have right now:
914rubber - 20% off of all parts (Mark sent a code to Challengers).
Automobile Atlanta - 15% on "B" parts (rebuilt parts and ones they make).
Jeff's 914 Wiring Harnesses - Challengers receive a 15% discount for any replacement 914 Wiring Harness on the website for the build car (All orders much be placed by December 31, 2015.

Documenting your build is a very important aspect of the Challenge, and there will be substantial bonuses available, based on the level of documentation. Here are some ideas:

1. Photographs of the work as it progresses.
2. Receipts (although not required for the Challenge, very helpful for other 914 owners doing work on their cars.
3. Written explanations of the steps taken to complete work.
4. How-to style stuff - photos and step-by-step instructions to complete work.
5. Video - if your interested in shooting some video we can help accommodate making that available. Just let me know.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 3 2015, 12:30 PM
Post #23

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

May I suggest including the year in the title/logo "914 Build-Off Challenge 2016 " or similar? I think you have started something here Steve that will not be a one time event. Kudos to you for the encouragement and friendly competition idea.

Given any thought to holding an event to present the Challenge cars and awards?

It is my pleasure to announce that 914 Build-Off Challenge participants are offered a 15% discount from Jeffs 914 Wiring Harnesses for any Replacement 914 Wiring Harness on the website for the build car. All orders for Challenge cars must be placed by December 31, 2015 to receive the discount. Best to each of you, looking forward to seeing the results of your efforts. Individually you are all winners for accepting the Challenge.

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 3 2015, 12:44 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 3 2015, 02:30 PM) *

May I suggest including the year in the title/logo "914 Build-Off Challenge 2016 " or similar? I think you have started something here Steve that will not be a one time event. Kudos to you for the encouragement and friendly competition idea.

Given any thought to holding an event to present the Challenge cars and awards?

It is my pleasure to announce that 914 Build-Off Challenge participants are offered a 15% discount from Jeffs 914 Wiring Harnesses for any Replacement 914 Wiring Harness on the website for the build car. All orders for Challenge cars must be placed by December 31, 2015 to receive the discount. Best to each of you, looking forward to seeing the results of your efforts. Individually you are all winners for accepting the Challenge.

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/

Hi Jeff,

Thanks. That it is a very generous offer. If you email me your logo, I will add it to the list of sponsors. The graphic artist is adding - 2016 - to the logo now as he works on a t-shirt for the event. Initially, I thought about awarding the winner at Okteenerfest next year (assuming that was ok with Steve, Bob, and Mike). But, that was before I realized we would get so many cars. I never thought we would get more than about 3 or 4. So, with 30 or so cars spread all over the country, it makes doing the awarding at a single event difficult. An Eastern event would probably be too far to travel for most west coasters, and vice versa. But, I figured we would see how it plays out. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Steve
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 3 2015, 02:42 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Oct 2 2015, 10:31 AM) *

Steve, I like the logo

Anyone thinking of doing t shirts?

I would be in for 1

I'd buy one...heck, I'd buy 4 of them, the wife and kids asked why they don't have 914 shirts yet?
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 3 2015, 04:10 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Two people emailed me this week and asked to be added to the list of Challengers after the deadline. After talking it over, we decided that given the spirit of the Challenge (to get 914s on the road), a couple days late wasn't too far behind to participate. So we added them. We have 32 cars now. I hope no one objects.
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Oct 3 2015, 04:12 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

thank you to the vendors that have added incentive for us lazy bastards to get our cars back on the road
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Oct 5 2015, 09:03 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 17,743

QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 3 2015, 06:10 PM) *

We have 32 cars now.

That's enough for a full-fledged meet at the end of the contest. Cincy is centrally located... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 5 2015, 09:52 AM
Post #29

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

I'm actually planning to do a parallel build. We will see how far I get.
+Quote Post
MichiganMat
post Oct 5 2015, 10:37 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 6,222
Region Association: Northern California

Oooh, how do I get in on this? I just started my '75 build and its getting all the things: fiberglass everything, new pans, 5-bolt conversion, WRX power. 8pt roll cage.

I WANT IN!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 5 2015, 12:42 PM
Post #31

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(mbseto @ Oct 5 2015, 11:03 AM) *

We have 32 cars now.

That's enough for a full-fledged meet at the end of the contest. Cincy is centrally located... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I have family there , should be able to drive that far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
- it was already suggested to have that get together at the Okteenerfest in Sept. - maybe there should be 3 or 4 regional get togethers the same week, have some press coverage for PCA etc, - NC is a pretty central location for FL, SC, NC, TN, GA, VA, -we just had 65 cars come in from everywhere on the east coast. Maybe eastern Tennessee. Not sure where all the cars are located,
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 5 2015, 03:54 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

We have 32 cars now.

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 5 2015, 02:42 PM) *

We have 32 cars now.

I have family there , should be able to drive that far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
- it was already suggested to have that get together at the Okteenerfest in Sept. - maybe there should be 3 or 4 regional get togethers the same week, have some press coverage for PCA etc, - NC is a pretty central location for FL, SC, NC, TN, GA, VA, -we just had 65 cars come in from everywhere on the east coast. Maybe eastern Tennessee. Not sure where all the cars are located,

I will look at the location of the different builds and see if we can put something together that would work well for everyone. It would be a neat event - Have as many people there with there cars as possible, give out the awards, etc. It would be cool.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 5 2015, 03:58 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Restoration Design has stepped up and is giving all Challengers a 15% discount on the 914 sheet metal they make. In fact, they are offering this discount to everybody. The discount period ends December 31, 2015. Thank you Restoration Design (time to order some parts).
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 5 2015, 08:56 PM
Post #34

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Great news that RD is offering to all the builders, very generous of them! I'd love to join in the madness but the doctor says I've still got another month before I even start trying to get out of the wheelchair- it's been a very long 4 month process for me. I'm getting to know way too many Physical Therapists but they've made all the difference and now to see that I get a discount on sheetmetal too gets me even more psyched to get back to building!
Good luck to all you loonies participating in this Challenge- you make reading through the site SO much more interesting and the skills displayed here are an inspiration! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 7 2015, 11:47 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

A few more teeners have asked to be included as participants. I spoke with some of the sponsors and we are going to add them. But, we have to close this off officially. So, speak now or forever hold your peace. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Oct 7 2015, 11:51 AM
Post #36

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

I would like to be included. My build thread is here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=257306&hl=

I can change the title if needed.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 7 2015, 12:19 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Save the 914 is donating an event shirt to each Challenger, with the revised logo printed large on the front, and the Challengers names, location, and year and engine of their car on the back (concert shirt-style). The shirt will be a light color (maybe a sandy beige). Challengers, please PM me your shirt size and address. The shirts tend to run a little small. Please keep that in mind when choosing your size.

EDIT:
A couple people have asked to order extras, or asked to buy one since they are not participating in the Challenge. We can print some extras if anyone else wants one. If so, please PM me your info. We will do them at $15 plus shipping ($19.99 total). Paypal: savethe914@gmail.com

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE SO FAR:
914-d - M
914forme - XXL
AndyB - XXL
brettarnold - M & SM
budk - L
madmax914 - XXL
boxsterfan - L
MichiganMat - L

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
3d914
post Oct 7 2015, 01:47 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

I would like to be included if possible. Not sure I can finish by 9-14-16, but it could be close. Here's my build thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=82421&hl=

Gerard
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 7 2015, 03:59 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

We mapped out where all of the builds are. Here they are - http://fourteenermotoring.com/2015/10/06/9...engers-located/
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Oct 7 2015, 04:19 PM
Post #40

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595

Yep that's how far north I am.
+Quote Post

20 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:36 AM