Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2016 Build-Off Challenge - Official Contest Thread, AND THE WINNER IS . . .
sixaddict
post Oct 28 2015, 06:06 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

Am I too late to join in
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Oct 28 2015, 09:41 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Eisberg, October update...

Progress, brief description.

October consisted of two themes: tools, and patches. At the beginning of the month I put together a sheet metal bender. It's got a 50" capacity so that I can fabricate the inner longs. More complicated parts will be purchased.
Attached Image

Also, I order and installed a new gun for the welder, a Chicago Electric Mono Mig 140 of a similar vintage as my 914. It was loaned to me by an original owner of a 914, a guy who is sympathetic to my project. This welder has been working on 914s its entire life. Oddly, installing the new gun did not miraculously make my welds into stacks of dimes.
Attached Image

Finally, I am cobbling together a set of metal forming tools for making patches.
Attached Image

Challenges.
Plenty of challenges, but I'm going to claim that none were unexpected.

A large part of my time this month has been practicing with welding 20g sheet, and also hammer forming patches. The challenges are in learning all the little details about doing these things well. I was not expecting to become an expert overnight. Not to say I wasn't hoping...
Attached Image
Attached Image

Shops/vendors.
No professional involvement yet, but preparing to send an order to RD in the beginning of November.
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Oct 29 2015, 09:16 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 18,106
Region Association: None

I'd call that some good metal working.
+Quote Post
mrfourteen
post Oct 29 2015, 09:36 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 16,596
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nothing bought this month..
Striped the paint off the doors and hoods and bumpers shot with self etching primer.
Had a set back with regards to paint. while the body panels don't have body work in them when painted and shiny they look less than perfect.
So sanding all exterior of the shell and will begin a Dolphin Glaze process to get them mirror flat. Not that big of a deal since it's only the front fenders and rear quarters that have color on them.

progress pic

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Vysoc
post Oct 30 2015, 03:49 PM
Post #65

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737

Build-Off Challenge Progress Update - Vysoc / Yellow Submarine

As of yesterday here is what I have accomplished in October, which is really not as much as I was shooting for, I am sure it is the same for everyone.
Reorganization of Garage, I found another place to park my White 914 Driver, so that I can focus entirely on getting some major metalwork done.
Yesterday I repositioned the Rotisserie and set up my work stations to best accommodate progress.

I patched a hole on the side of my Hell Hole and trimmed more of the old floor board away so that I could get a feel for exact placement of Driver's Side Cross Member and my new Floorboards as well as the Rear Corner Braces and Jack Point Donuts.

Unexpected challenges:
After I turned the car upside down I was removing the four, #6 Hex bolts that hold the steering column in place. One of the hex bolts was stripped, I had to cut a groove in the head by hand with a hacksaw blade, no good, heat, no good. I ended up drilling all the way through the middle of the hex bolt without touching the sides or ruining the threads, and then she came free. 2 Hours later.

Also was all set to use my New/Old Miller TIG, it seems I am not wired for the 220/50amp breakers required so I am going to install the correct female plug and correct amp wires to be able to do this in the garage. The Dryer works off of 30 Amp Breakers, and I did not have the correct extension cord or receptacle to set-up or run 220 out to the garage.
Better to set it up correctly and safely, would look awful funny burning the house down to TIG weld.

Shops and Vendors: None

Photo's here is my progress, it was definitely a month or reorganization and preparing to get things moving forward!

Room to work!
Attached Image

I am already Upside down on this thing?
Attached Image

OLD CROSS BRACE..... a rusted mess!
Attached Image

OLD RUSTY CRAP BRACE
Attached Image

New Product to match other side!!!
Attached Image

New Cross Brace
Attached Image

Prior to Floor Board Fitting
Attached Image

Initial Floor Board Fit-Up
Attached Image

Fit-Up for Corner Bracing and Jacking Point Donut
Attached Image

Happy Halloween.....more to come in November (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
rightpedal
post Oct 31 2015, 04:51 AM
Post #66

rightpeda;

Member No.: 19,133
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So....my progress in a word? underwhelming!

I knew the start would be. I am a self employed contractor 9 months of the year an I work as a ski rep 5 months of the year. Guess what two months they over lap. October/ November.

In the evenings I have gotten some of the engine tin degreased, cleaned and blasted.

Attached Image

The plan for the next month is to remove the red cars motor/trans and stow it in the basement so I can work on it in a warm place. Maybe cut the red one apart.

Nothing bought.
sold some small parts

-$400.00
+$50.00 parts sold
-$350 in the red

+Quote Post
AndyB
post Oct 31 2015, 07:50 AM
Post #67

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595

Progress has been slow this month due to snow prep. The biggest challenge I am dealing with is time management and this:

Attached Image

I had this not so great idea 3 years ago to strip the inside floor and POR15 it. Another not so bright idea was to lay down new sound deadening material, follow the directions to the letter and now I am painfully removing it. I am glad that I am doing this since I found moisture underneath the material.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Oct 31 2015, 08:41 AM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

QUOTE(AndyB @ Oct 31 2015, 09:50 AM) *

I had this not so great idea 3 years ago to strip the inside floor and POR15 it. Another not so bright idea was to lay down new sound deadening material, follow the directions to the letter and now I am painfully removing it. I am glad that I am doing this since I found moisture underneath the material.

I understand your pain. When I bought the silver car the PO swore by the POR 15 he had used in the rear truck. When we got it home we found rust under it. We caught it in time to not need a new trunk pan. But, I won't use POR15. Instead, Scotty suggests epoxy primer and then topcoat with paint. That is how I did the floor pans, and it seems to work well.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Oct 31 2015, 10:00 AM
Post #69

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

........before POR 15 is thrown under the bus let's consider what some folks may have done to prepare surface before applying same.....
+Quote Post
brettrarnold
post Oct 31 2015, 11:47 AM
Post #70

New 914 owner in Lakewood CO

Member No.: 19,149
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Okay so I just realized I had to post on this page and not my thread page. Below is my post from my thread. Also adding pictures unrelated to Porsche. Once again sorry for the mostly unrelated porsche post but I hope you can understand. Amy is excited to hit the ground running on the interior when we return. My plan is to start working on the rust. Had some items from restoration design and tangerine racing arrive so going to open em up when I get home. The only 914 photo that I have is from my last post. That was where I was at when I left.

hello 914 crew! This post is going to be more brief than i would like because i am currently in colombia on a honeymoon and internet here is a bit scant. I havent made any progress since my last post because i got married in fort lauderdale and immediately left to go to Colombia.

For the progress on the car in the past month, i got the majority of the interior out and had a few problems getting the back interior piece out. The emergency brake handle was pretty rusted and it broke. Getting the engine out was also pretty difficult for me but ended up getting it. If i had it do it again i would probably have purchased larger jack stands. Being a cheap ass i opted to get the cheap harbor frieght small ones and it was somewhat of a hassle. I did get the rear rotors and calipers off prior to leaving and plan on painting them when i get back. I took the rotors in to get turned at Oreillys auto parts for $15/each and they came back looking brand new. Sweet! That was really the only service that i used thus far. Amy was pretty overwhelmed with wedding junk so she didnt make any progress any of the interior but its understandable.

Unrelated to the porsche the wedding was a blast. We did a destination wedding on a boat in florida and it was tons of fun. 100 guests for a destonation wedding was a little much but everything turned out really well. These are the only real photos that i have available at this point so sorry for not posting an official Porsche photo.

The keyboard here is also pretty funky making this post a little difficult but oh well. Im actually at a small little hotel on an island off the coast of colombia. The place has a monkey that has taken a strong liking to me for some odd reason. Maybe because i am about as hairy as him. Everytime my brother or anyone tries to take him off me he gets really mad and tries to bite them. Ha. This is my first time in Colombia and it is much much safer than i was expecting. everyone says its extremely dangerous and its just not true. Everyone here is just really friendly.

Once again really sorry for this type of post but thanks for understanding.

I have been trying to save the photo for a while and just figured it out. Alright thanks for understanding such a crappy porsche post.

Brett and Amy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Oct 31 2015, 12:41 PM
Post #71

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Oct 31 2015, 12:00 PM) *

........before POR 15 is thrown under the bus let's consider what some folks may have done to prepare surface before applying same.....

The moisture was between the two layers. POR 15 did its job.
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Oct 31 2015, 12:53 PM
Post #72

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

October's updates:
I was test fitting the engine, so I can know what modifications to make to the layout, and configuration of the intake and such.

So far the trunk torsion bars have been removed, and I'm picking up an intake mainfold this weekend.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
914-d
post Oct 31 2015, 01:27 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 15,974
Region Association: Northern California

Here is my first update. I am at ground zero of the valley fire in California, and have little access to internet due to infrastructure being burned. Will get my build thread up as soon as it is restored.
Working mainly on motor placement/mounts. I am putting a VW TDI engine and trans in transverse. I know it is unconventional... but it is all German.
Ill give more info when I get my thread up.....BrentAttached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
budk
post Oct 31 2015, 01:32 PM
Post #74

Yes! It's a Bumblebee!

Member No.: 11,970
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It’s been a busy month. I spent the first two weeks of October removing everything left on the car except the suspension/wheels. I wanted to have the car sitting on the wheels so that I could install some bracing in the floor area. I know that bracing will need to come out at some point but until I know which panels need replaced I want the additional support. I also decided that I want to be able to hang the doors to check the gaps as panels are replaced so I had to change where I attached the door braces so that I can fit a door with the braces in place. And, I wasn’t really happy with the door braces that I had previously made using black pipe. The pipe flexed much more than I expected so I remade the braces with some extra square tubing I had laying around.
Attached Image

The last 2 weeks of October were spent building a rotisserie. I went with Restoration Design’s rotisserie because I think it best fits my particular needs of wanting to be able to move it around a lot and be able roll it onto my lift if need be. $250 worth of steel got the job done but I wasn’t prepared for the amount of time it took to fabricate it and for the amount of dirt created cutting and grinding new steel with the oily mill finish on it. It was however fun welding thick steel and it gave me a reason to buy a better welding helmet. I’ve been using a Harbor Freight helmet and while I haven’t done much welding before, when I did I struggled with being able to see where I was welding. So, I bought a Hobart Pro helmet and the difference is night and day. Much easier to see, lots of adjustments and the head strap assembly works really well. I also bought a better ground clamp as the clamp that came on my Millermatic 180 was practically useless. Once I got the settings on the welder dialed in and my technique correct I was able to lay down some pretty good welds.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Once the rotisserie was attached I removed the remaining suspension and with my wife’s help we removed the entire wire harness .
So, what’s next is to strip the car of paint so I can see all the parts that need cut out. I have a guy coming out next week to soda blast it in my driveway. His business is called Stripper for Hire (www.stripperforhire.com)…… I’m sure I’ll be the talk of the neighborhood! I still need to put dolly wheels on the rotisserie but I am waiting for a piece of steel so I will use cheap furniture dolly’s from Harbor Freight to get the car off my lift and outside for the stripper.

No outside services or vendors were used and there we no real surprises other than the amount of welding to build the rotisserie.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Oct 31 2015, 02:12 PM
Post #75

Love all that steel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Oct 31 2015, 06:07 PM
Post #76

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791

October Update:

A. A brief description of the progress you made on your build.

Going slow, but most of the car coming apart now. Got the hoods off, headlights out and getting prepared to get the dash out soon. Still can't get the rear window out...

B. Any unexpected challenges you encountered this month, and how those challenges were handled.

Time is my greatest challenge My silly day job eats up all my time.

C. Whether any shops/vendors provided any services for the build during the month, and the value of such services.

None

D. At least one photo of the build’s progress.

All pictures for my build are in my build thread.

+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Oct 31 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #77

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 31 2015, 05:07 PM) *

October Update:

A. A brief description of the progress you made on your build.

Going slow, but most of the car coming apart now. Got the hoods off, headlights out and getting prepared to get the dash out soon. Still can't get the rear window out...

B. Any unexpected challenges you encountered this month, and how those challenges were handled.

Time is my greatest challenge My silly day job eats up all my time.

C. Whether any shops/vendors provided any services for the build during the month, and the value of such services.

None

D. At least one photo of the build’s progress.

All pictures for my build are in my build thread.

Quit your day job to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (also win the lotto just in case)
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Oct 31 2015, 06:59 PM
Post #78

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

Update? Progress? Work performed? Hell, I can not tell a lie, all I did was completely cover the car so it would stop collecting dust. I did do some major shop cleaning to have more uncluttered space for working on the car.

Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Hopefully I will make up for it in November.

Shoe
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Oct 31 2015, 09:41 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

My update is similar to hotshoes.

I did manage to start taking the 5.3 LS apart in order to start cleaning it up.
Put together a vibratory cleaner with a 5 gallon bucket, and a vibratory unit from HF.
Working 60 hours weeks, along with a 2 hour commute only leaves Sundays to get anything done.
This past Sunday I spent cutting up the 40 ft. hackberry tree that fell in the back yard at our rental. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

But, I head to SEMA Monday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
Here's a few new photos... Plus a photo of my new "anonymous" style on my old thread.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Oct 31 2015, 11:12 PM
Post #80

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

Progress:
Zero! I made no progress this month.
I am in the middle of a small remodel of my house and I was out of town 1 weekend for my granddaughters 1st birthday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Well, I did blow off some of the dust before Mike came and picked up a trans from me, looks a little better.

Any unexpected challenges?
Well I did not expect to spend much time working on my 914 this month.
I knew my month was going to busy but planned to work on it the weekend after my birthday.
Instead I spent the weekend in bed with a fever (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Any shops/vendors provided any services?
None

Photo of the build’s progress:
Since I did not actually make any progress I post some pictures of progress I made prior to entering this contest.

Progress prior to the contest:
I pulled apart the headlight assemblies and repainted and rebushed the pivots.

Attached Image

+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 06:51 PM