Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2016 Build-Off Challenge - Official Contest Thread, AND THE WINNER IS . . .
3d914
post Nov 1 2015, 11:14 AM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

As it turns out, I guess I am registered for this years challenge. Thanks for letting me join the madness, errr - I mean Challenge.

October Progress: Been working on getting the underbody coating off. Looks good and down to the factory primer in some parts, bare metal in others. Just about ready for primer, paint, and new underbody coating.

Challenges: The area around the right-rear jack plate is smashed in. It will need to be rebuilt before I can weld the jack plate in.

Vendor Participation: Picked up several parts from Mark at Restoration Design.
  • Left & Right rear jack plates
  • Hand brake cable cover plate

Pictures:
Underbody almost ready for primer
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1442791778.jpg)

Jack plate parts from Restoration Design are first class.
Left one
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1442792125.jpg)

Right one with issues at corner of floor
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1442792638.jpg)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nutter965
post Nov 4 2015, 02:53 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 17,784
Region Association: None

Hi all, been a bit of a random month with no work on my car, and my excuse is my better half was rushed in to hospital for 2 weeks ! Thankfully she's now back home and on the road to recovery.
So excuses given and the work begins again

The main work to take place is the extension of the footwell to accommodate the pedal assembly I'll be starting to cut this weekend keep an eye out for updates on my own build thread
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Nov 4 2015, 03:28 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 18,255
Region Association: England

Hi Steve,

Reading through the thread I'm a little confused as where I need to post my monthly updates?
Here? or in my thread or both?
I posted my October update on the 25th in my thread, should I have posted it here?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry2126625

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Darren C
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Nov 4 2015, 03:30 PM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Darren C @ Nov 4 2015, 04:28 PM) *

Hi Steve,

Reading through the thread I'm a little confused as where I need to post my monthly updates?
Here? or in my thread or both?
I posted my October update on the 25th in my thread, should I have posted it here?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Darren C

Your regular updates go in your own build thread. Once a month, we ask that you post an update in this thread outlining the progress made during that month, etc. So, you only need to post in this thread once per month.

EDIT: Here is what gets posted in this thread once per month:

Participating, referred to as Challengers, will be required to post in the main Challenge thread at least once each month of the Challenge. They are permitted to post at any point during such month. Such post must include:

1. A brief description of the progress made on their build.
2. Any unexpected challenges they encountered that month, and how those challenges were handled.
3. Whether any shops/vendors provided any services for their build during that month, and the value of such services.
4. At least one photo of the build’s progress.
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Nov 4 2015, 03:34 PM
Post #85

Thanks Steve,

Got it!

Month 1, I worked in the engine bay, dropped the motor, replaced battery tray and stripped it all out for an engine bay repaint.
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Nov 4 2015, 04:14 PM
Post #86

Following a pm from Steve (thanks Steve) I realized I need to list any parts bought from the nominated vendors.
In Month one, I used Auto Atlanta for the following parts
Relay board clip $30
Reproduction Relay Board Cover $42.75
Relay board Cover Nut $12.35
International shipping $59.50
Total $144.60
Unfortunately as I’m in UK I have to pay import duty on the parts & shipping.
This Tax is at 20%, so that cost me a further $28.92
Then there is a handling charge for the UK Post office administration at $13.85.
Grand total to me for a relay board cover was $187.37

You don’t know how easy you guy’s have it living the other side of the pond!
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Nov 27 2015, 12:38 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Olympic Blue Challenge Nov 2015 update.

Started doing the bodywork on the Pass side, Trying to get out there on the warmer days. easier to heat up the shed.

Attached Image

Then I did this... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

Slowed me down a little. I didn't think about how much you use that finger. other than for waving at foolish motorists.

anyways every time I started working with it. I would open it back up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
I know excuses are like assholes.....

but in spite of that I did get a couple things accomplished..

stripped the old bearings / races out of my hubs and bead blasted them.

Attached Image

and installed my Elephant Racing rubber bushings in to my front control arms. Not as easy as in the video ( especially with this finger ) but still went pretty smoothly.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Question on the torsion bars, do the L /R markings go in front or in back?

Vendors

I took advantage of 914 Rubbers Black Friday sale and put in an order, even though I won't need the stuff for a little while. price ~ 500

I sent my front A calipers to PMB for a rebuild, and ordered the rest of my brake needs price ~ 2000

Hope to get these damn stiches out in time for Pennsylvania Deer hunting on Monday.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Later..

+Quote Post
Darren C
post Nov 28 2015, 03:14 PM
Post #88

Month 2 was a busy month (just posted an epic saga in my resto thread)
I carried on taking the car apart, fitted a new master cylinder, refurbished the exhaust system, bushed the pedals and cleaned more parts up. Trouble is the more I get into the car, the more I find that needs doing!
No parts purchased this month from the sponsors, but a few from private vendors here in UK.
Hope you enjoy my thread.
Regards
Darren
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 28 2015, 07:35 PM
Post #89

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Did not get as far as I wished this month, lots of upheaval in my life this month. Close friend lost her battle with the Big C. It was a great ride, glad I knew her. I traveled a lot which meant little time in the shop, which culminated in a trip to the emergency room after I had a medical emergency while on a plane. I am still wrapping up the testing so far, have not found a dang thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

So the car got put on the back burner, hopefully be back at it soon. I did get a lot of stuff done on the rear trunk, and started welding in the rear hitch.

While laid up in the hospital bed, I got a strange idea, I would like to do the one-lap in a 914. Not to be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) just to have the fun of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) and the insanity of the idea.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 28 2015, 08:32 PM
Post #90

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

Wow! Where did the month go?
11.vendor purchases: $750;restoration design metal, vac hoses and some other stuff from A.A., and some stuff from 914 rubber, I'll have to look back to see $$,
But I've made no progress, as my DD needed attention, lime a new wheel bearing and the "while you are in there" hit me so I'm in the middle of replacing all of it (2000 audi tt)- shock/struts, bushings, bearings, tie rods and ball joints.
- it took up my whole day yesterday and had to help a friend move today, and last week I was at a conference 5 days in St. Louis,.and this past month had to do more painting etc of the house which we are trying to sell. But less $$ coming in this month so I'm done spending any $$ until after the holidays.

I do have a goal of soon stripping out the tar board.
Posted 2 sets of 5 lug Fuchs in the for classifieds so that I can get some of the body work done. I need then to save up about $3500 for the paint work.

+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Nov 29 2015, 02:52 PM
Post #91

Member No.: 1,179

November Update.
Progress Description:
November has been paint removal month and I got quit a bit of paint off. All tthe big panels have the paint off, except the bottom of the rear trunk lid.Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
I also got the hing brackets off and started cleaning up the replacement tail light panel.
Unexpected Challenges:
This month I found my drivers door is toast.Attached Image Attached Image Fortunatly Doug has a spare door for me. The rear trunk lid turned out not to be something to brag about either.
Shops/Vendors:
Sadly I did not get anything from the sponsor vendors. I did get some stuff from my local NAPA. Attached Image I actually got two of the primers. $135.
+Quote Post
914-d
post Nov 29 2015, 07:34 PM
Post #92

Member No.: 15,974
Region Association: Northern California

This month I haven't accomplished as much as hoped. Work has been crazy.
I have been working on a subframe for the engine and have it all mocked up. If Ican get my sons car off the lift I can get back to work.
Nothing purchased from vendors yet, but I have gone through a boat load of cut off discs.
Move along...nothing to see here...yet!
+Quote Post
3d914
post Nov 29 2015, 07:50 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

914-SHO project

November Progress: Finished getting the underbody coating off. Also cut out the damaged front trunk area. Patched and reshaped it, welded it back in and cleaned up the welds on both sides.

Also welded on the left side rear jack post from Restoration Design. Still have to cleanup the sheet-metal on the right side before installing that one.

Challenges: Had half a dozen dents in the front trunk floor. Got them all squared away after couple of hours of heating and pounding. Ready for primer on the underside, but still have to do more paint removal on the inside of the trunk.

Vendor Participation: None this month

Pictures:
Front trunk floor damage
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1448229452.jpg)

Cut out and repaired damaged section - ready to weld in.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1448229476.jpg)

Finished repair for trunk inside and out.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Welded rear jack post on left side
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1448229542.jpg)

+Quote Post
Garland
post Nov 29 2015, 08:21 PM
Post #94

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

November Update: Michigan Build
Michigan Build Link
Build progress :

Finished both rear fenders. I learned a lot on welding temp and speed. Patched in a front fender. Found that if the bottom of the fender lines up with the same as stock, the valance lines up, and the opening and fit of the fender worked very well in relation to each other. And looking forward to working on the valances next.

Unexpected challenges:

The amount of think time be for each cut. think 20 times, cut once. And keeping the fender orientated while cutting. The amount of hammer time required to stop the heat sinking from the weld. Lots of time.

Vendors:

I purchased a few things. 914 Rubber fantastic vendor.

Progress Pictures:

Attached ImageAttached Image

+Quote Post
Vysoc
post Nov 30 2015, 05:59 PM
Post #95

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737

2016 Build-Off Challenge November Update: YELLOW SUB / VYSOC

NOVEMBER PROGRESS: Finally finished electrical work (yesterday) in Garage and am now able to run my Miller TIG Welder. The 240V/50Amp program was not as easy as first thought to be spent a great deal of time feeding wire through garage attic and getting it to the Electric Panel was a PITA. We are now operational and meeting all codes so now I can crawl forward.

CHALLENGES: Crawling through rafters and laying on trusses, trying not to fall through the drywall ceiling.

VENDOR PURCHASES: Nothing of major concern this month.

PHOTOS: I will attempt to attach them tomorrow.

But it has been a very busy month at work to the tune of about 3300+ rounds of golf, keeping the members happy is a full time 7 day a week job.

December will slow down a little and I will hopefully get the TIG Tuned in and accomplish some major work.

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Nov 30 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #96

Member No.: 18,106

I fell short of the month's goals, but not by too much. I finished fabbing my inner long, and in the process learned it would have been worth doing something to make an extra $300 for the RD part...though I guess I had some fun. Of course there was unexpected rust issues to fight. I also spent a lot of time measuring and developing a jack/brace/rotisserie/black/whatever system to get the body straight and true for upcoming welds. And even more time fitting/trimming the wheelhouse and engine compartment long pieces for installation and developing a system of supports/strengtheners/stiffeners/braces to strengthen them. I've also spent many hours awake in bed trying to figure out how to do all this inside the closed long...

Challenges I faced this month were mostly in achieving the perfect fit, squaring the car, and figuring out the strengthener puzzle.

I received nothing from vendors this month, but did buy some parts from RD.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Nov 30 2015, 11:03 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

November progress: More of the same this month, learning to fabricate patches... I made a couple attempts at each patch, usually practicing in a thinner gauge first, then making the one that will get welded in. Made some tools as well, mainly anvils and T-dollies. Then there was a lot of exploratory cutting and cleaning in preparation for welding- not photogenic stuff.

No unexpected challenges unless you want to count distractions like replacing CV joint boots on my DD and helping a buddy replace a water pump.

Shop/vendor assistance: Yes! Received an order from Restoration Designs! I really thought it would take a while to get them from the far north. Canada's way up past the arctic circle, isn't it? But I think they arrived in less than a week. Thanks guys!

Attached Image

So these are all the patches, basically for rebuilding the passenger side foot well. Wanted to get this area strong again, so the long would be well supported forward.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Nov 30 2015, 11:05 PM
Post #98

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

November Update: Extreme Budget Makeover - Creamsicle Edition

A. Progress

Not really part of the Challenge but I did get heat ductwork hooked up on the driver's side to help ward of the chill of the morning commutes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Talked to a guy about a front hood and driver door. No deal made yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
My Raby 2056 was on the dyno this month producing mid 140s HP and mid 150s Torque (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
Cleaned out the garage enough so I can once again park the 914 inside (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
Installed the turbo and downpipe on the GTI. Now if I can just remember how to put the rest of it back together, I will have a winter driver which will allow me to tear into the 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

B. Challenges

Driving to work one morning and suddenly heard a chuh-ch-ch-ch-ch noise as if something was sliding across the asphalt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) For the next few minutes I pondered on what part fell off my car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Once parked, I checked and, sure enough, the piece that connects from the fan housing to the heat exchanger had fallen off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (A portion of the housing is broken off so it allowed the piece to work loose). Couple days later, I stopped at the approximate area and walked along the side of the road in search of the part. Found it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Reinstalled with the addition of the vertical J-pipe so now if it works loose it won't be able to fall off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

C. Shop/vendor provided services

Jake Raby at Raby's Aircooled Technology finalized my engine build. It is scheduled to be in my garage December 1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Dec 1 2015, 12:28 AM
Post #99

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

Progress:
I made no progress again this month but I knew I would not have much time this month. The spare time I had went toward remodel work on my house.
On the positive side, the house has all new windows, the stucco repairs & color coat are almost done, the new bathroom and closet are all wired & painted, just need the tile floor installed, the vanities set and my beams and barn door hung.

Any unexpected challenges?
Well I was sick again this month, got a nasty cold that off work for a few days.

Any shops/vendors provided any services?
My dash from 914rubber arrived!!
I ordered it as part of the group buy before the challenge started.

Jim

+Quote Post
budk
post Dec 1 2015, 05:14 AM
Post #100

Yes! It's a Bumblebee!

Member No.: 11,970
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Car was soda blasted the first week of November. Cost for soda blasting was $500. I had the guy concentrate on removing the yellow paint and cleaning all the area’s that I knew were bad and wanted to get a better look. Some parts of the car like the floor are likely to be replaced so I only had the edges of those panels blasted but didn’t waste time (and money) thoroughly cleaning all the panels.

Attached Image

All in all the soda blasting revealed that there are more areas to be addressed than I had hoped. Luckily, it’s only metal. Fortunately, Christmas came early in the form of this amazing tool.

Attached Image

I’m waiting for a sheet of 18ga to get here, hopefully this week. Also expect to be ordering RD parts this week. Not much else to report this month. I anticipated that November was going to be a fairly unproductive month because of work demands so I feel that I am still on my tentative schedule.

+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:27 AM