Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Muellers Honda V6 914 project, Put 70 miles on this engine swap, now to drop broken motor
Mueller
post Oct 25 2015, 07:50 PM
Post #41

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Oct 25 2015, 05:34 PM) *

Cool. Does it have mic and headphone/speaker ports?

Headphone/speaker port only.

I like the solid state drive, we've been replacing disc HDD at work with solid state drives and even a few older machines with SD cards running the OS
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 25 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #42

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 25 2015, 06:50 PM) *

I like the solid state drive, we've been replacing disc HDD at work with solid state drives and even a few older machines with SD cards running the OS

SSD's rock when running the OS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 25 2015, 10:30 PM
Post #43

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 25 2015, 09:59 PM) *

Just wait til you see what's coming up next. Would you like an SSD that fits your laptop and gives you 3.5TB? We're making them and they should be available within the year- none of this is classified btw!
+Quote Post
madmax914
post Oct 26 2015, 11:56 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 17,007
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) This computer conversation is making my brain hurt.

Can't wait to see the transmission in your car!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 26 2015, 01:08 PM
Post #45

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 25 2015, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 25 2015, 09:59 PM) *

Just wait til you see what's coming up next. Would you like an SSD that fits your laptop and gives you 3.5TB? We're making them and they should be available within the year- none of this is classified btw!

I would hate to have to buy that... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I remember when the SSD's were coming out in decent sizes a few years ago.. $500 bucks was insane!

I much prefer to have the OS around 100gb (40 for the OS and the rest for Office, adobe, ect ect) then have a couple of 3 TB HD's running RAID for storage.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Nov 4 2015, 10:50 PM
Post #46

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

LA Dismantling had a booth at SEMA. Technically a new 911 but I think it's the same holes.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 29 2015, 05:27 PM
Post #47

914 Freak!

Update per request by Jeff....

Nada, nothing done to 914 unless you count me getting caught by the wife web surfing for possible new rims for a car that doesn't run! No, I really don't plan on buying any new rims...just killing some time and dreaming.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 24 2016, 02:23 PM
Post #48

914 Freak!

My update for sake of doing an update....

0 progress on the 914, working on a 14'x8'x8' playhouse for my girls, it is keeping me too busy.

Playhouse is almost finished, just in time for me gone for 2 weeks for vacation!

I fully expect to be at or near the bottom of the list and I'm okay with that....I have not thrown in the towel and given up yet!
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 30 2016, 11:39 PM
Post #49

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Update?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 31 2016, 10:12 AM
Post #50

914 Freak!

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 30 2016, 10:39 PM) *

Update?

No real progress unfortunately, I did score some major brownie points with the wife by knocking out projects the last few weekends for her and my daughters.

I told her there is a VW - Porsche car show on the 1st weekend of August that I want to go to with the 914, so the car will be coming home in the next week or so for me to start working on it.

Time to start ordering parts for it, 1st on the list is all new fuel lines and rear brake lines for sure. Car has not run in about 4 years so lots of work to do.

I'll need to replace a few broken exhaust studs as well on the replacement motor, hope that goes better than the time I drilled into the combustion chamber!
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 31 2016, 12:19 PM
Post #51

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I saw you talking about going to the August show so I figured it's time to blow the dust off and get it running. I am excited to see you in a new to you 914
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 24 2016, 11:07 PM
Post #52

914 Freak!

The car is still across the street, however I have started to buy some items for the soon to happen motor installation.

$164 shipped from Rotary '14 , so far they look like nice parts.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Jun 25 2016, 07:34 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Mueller, what machine control software are you using? I put together a knee mill running a cnc4pc breakout board and Mach3 for software. It runs great. I can run at 30+ inches a minute with steppers. There is no need to learn c++ to interface Mach3.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 25 2016, 08:05 AM
Post #54

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 31 2016, 09:12 AM) *

Update?

No real progress unfortunately, I did score some major brownie points with the wife by knocking out projects the last few weekends for her and my daughters.
That, most definitely, counts as progress. W/O that there can be no real progress!

I'll need to replace a few broken exhaust studs as well on the replacement motor, hope that goes better than the time I drilled into the combustion chamber!

Do tell. Day dreaming or did the bit catch and pull through? Were there any new curse words created at that moment?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 25 2016, 11:11 AM
Post #55

914 Freak!

QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Jun 25 2016, 06:34 AM) *

Mueller, what machine control software are you using? I put together a knee mill running a cnc4pc breakout board and Mach3 for software. It runs great. I can run at 30+ inches a minute with steppers. There is no need to learn c++ to interface Mach3.

I was using Mach with a PC as well, no longer going to use the Kflop for the motion controller since the Bridgeport is for sale , or it will be once I put it back together and get the cheaper controller working on it. I had to take the X motor and ballscrew out and remove the 300+ lb table to get the mill out of my workshop since I literally built the walls for the shop after the BP mill was placed on the concrete pad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I am buying a new 4th axis mill, the 4th axis can do indexing as well as cordinated movements with the spindle for making stuff such as cams or cranks if i wanted to (model stuff of course) X is 18, Y is 10, Z is 14 (might be off on the numbers a little) 8 position automatic tool changer, flood coolant as well.

For the BP mill, I bought from banggood Chinese import CNC controller.

http://www.banggood.com/50KHZ-CNC-4-Axis-O...-p-1021134.html (I think I paid $158 shipped)

Not much out there on installs and use, so far one guy that did a router install a few months back.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 25 2016, 07:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 31 2016, 09:12 AM) *

Update?

That, most definitely, counts as progress. W/O that there can be no real progress!

Do tell. Day dreaming or did the bit catch and pull through? Were there any new curse words created at that moment?

Stupidity I'd say and rushing the job, I had a track event at Thunderhill the next day and screwed up while trying to drill the stud while under the car. I screwed up the head and ended up calling the wife and telling her I was going to go get brand new Kuhmo tires for her Volvo since that is what I was going to track instead! Turns out I had a blast in my run group in the family Volvo!

Wife also felt bad for me screwing up my 914 and bought me a '91 964 C2 a month later for my birthday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 27 2016, 08:33 AM
Post #56

914 Freak!

Started to work on the 1.7 engine....

4 out 8 exhaust studs are broken, I started to spray them with a penetrate, next will be welding nuts to them and hopefully they screw right out!

I popped off the valve covers and it is very, very clean in there, no sludge. I drained the oil and it was nice and clean (for engine oil, hahaha)

Time to clean off all the tin from it sitting for a few years, and install L-Jet instead of the current D-Jet (so all the D-Jet stuff will be for sale)

Debating whether or not to pull the heads, I figure at this point it might not be a bad idea so I can do a quick inspection. I was a little surprised that it does not have the 911 swivel adjusters, no idea yet if these rockers can be modified for using them or not.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 27 2016, 08:39 AM
Post #57

914 Freak!

I am glad to see that it looks like the missing exhaust studs threads are in great shape, I see no signs of stripping or that they have been damaged before.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 29 2016, 01:02 AM
Post #58

914 Freak!

Took heads and cylinders off tonight, didn't like how one side had more oil leakage than the other.

Measured the cylinders and they are 93mm which makes this motor a 1911, which is cool since I thought it was a 1700. Pistons and cylinders in great shape, not many miles on this motor at all!

I'll have to run the part numbers but I think they are stock cylinders bored out.

No 911 swivel foot adjusters which sucks. No idea what camshaft used, not sure if I want to pop off the oil pump to look for some markings on it or not.
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Jun 29 2016, 08:55 AM
Post #59

Dr

Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 29 2016, 12:02 AM) *

Took heads and cylinders off tonight, didn't like how one side had more oil leakage than the other.

Measured the cylinders and they are 93mm which makes this motor a 1911, which is cool since I thought it was a 1700. Pistons and cylinders in great shape, not many miles on this motor at all!

I'll have to run the part numbers but I think they are stock cylinders bored out.

No 911 swivel foot adjusters which sucks. No idea what camshaft used, not sure if I want to pop off the oil pump to look for some markings on it or not.

93 and a 66mm crank make it a 1.8. you need 96's to get to 1911.
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Jun 29 2016, 10:43 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 839

93 bore x 71 stroke = 1929cc. Maybe that's what Mike meant. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

22 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:08 AM