Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Type IV air-cooled motor with Boxster transmission conversion? Pics and discussion, Was: Subaru versus Boxster transmission?
Mueller
post Oct 8 2015, 04:29 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Curiosity got me to pondering the above questions....

Suppose non-Subaru motor for the Subaru transmission and non-Boxster/Audi engine for the Boxster transmission.

What about axles and hooking up to the drive hubs? One easier or vastly less expensive than the other?

EDIT 2/21/2016:
Now with pictures comparing Boxster transmission to 901 transmission
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 8 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Dude, use the aircooled motor and the tranny you have....get it done and drive it....

And Subaru is your answer.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 8 2015, 07:16 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Boxster is virtually the same as the Passat and the Passat tranny can be had for $400.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 8 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Mike, I'm surprised you haven't caught the full-on Subaru bug. You were one of the engine swap pioneers with that VR6 idea of yours. You could go Subaru engine connected to Subaru 5MT trans! A 2.5 maybe?

Anyway, the cheaper way for a trans only is probably Subaru as Rich said, but either isn't too bad for the 5 speed.

Needs:

FWD Subie trans - pre-1996 - OLD and cheap, hard to tell the condition due to age, but at junkyards they usually let you swap them out if they are bad

OR (more common)

AWD trans - You would have to buy the locking spool for the AWD one but could easily make the end plate and sell the center diff for $. At a junkyard you can get older ones for low $. Newer ones can be $$$. Make sure it's old enough that it has stub axles.

Plus:

- two "female" Subaru CV joints (used ones from NASIOC or Craigslist, I got mine for $50). Green in color usually.

- labor to re-spline a set of 914 axles re-splined on one end for the Subaru CV. This is as good or better than the $$$ sway-a-ways. The price has varied widely on this, from $50 to $130.

- $30ish MR2 shifter

- a cable shift setup. (you can do it yourself, all the way up to Ian's kit which is high $300's.

The Boxster trans is pretty much the same as a Passat trans, so you could go that way. Mike Bellis can tell you what you need there.

Only thing is...the adapter plate will cost you almost as much as a used Subaru or Audi engine... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

EDIT: I rambled on so long Mike already chimed in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 8 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #5

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 8 2015, 04:29 PM) *

Suppose non-Subaru motor for the Subaru transmission and non-Boxster/Audi engine for the Boxster transmission.

What about axles and hooking up to the drive hubs? One easier or vastly less expensive than the other?

Sad! You people have no regard for history/preservation. You want to make an abomination out of a sports car that worked so well. Please vent your silliness elsewhere.
It's a 914! Leave it alone!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 8 2015, 07:49 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 8 2015, 06:46 PM) *

Sad! You people have no regard for history/preservation. You want to make an abomination out of a sports car that worked so well. Please vent your silliness elsewhere.

Horse and buggies worked fine also.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 8 2015, 07:51 PM
Post #7

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 8 2015, 07:49 PM) *

Horse and buggies worked fine also.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

And they are still acceptable as vintage....not barbarian!
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 8 2015, 07:53 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 8 2015, 07:36 PM) *

Mike, I'm surprised you haven't caught the full-on Subaru bug. You were one of the engine swap pioneers with that VR6 idea of yours. You could go Subaru engine connected to Subaru 5MT trans! A 2.5 maybe?

Anyway, the cheaper way for a trans only is probably Subaru as Rich said, but either isn't too bad for the 5 speed.

Needs:

FWD Subie trans - pre-1996 - OLD and cheap, hard to tell the condition due to age, but at junkyards they usually let you swap them out if they are bad

OR (more common)

AWD trans - You would have to buy the locking spool for the AWD one but could easily make the end plate and sell the center diff for $. At a junkyard you can get older ones for low $. Newer ones can be $$$. Make sure it's old enough that it has stub axles.

Plus:

- two "female" Subaru CV joints (used ones from NASIOC or Craigslist, I got mine for $50). Green in color usually.

- labor to re-spline a set of 914 axles re-splined on one end for the Subaru CV. This is as good or better than the $$$ sway-a-ways. The price has varied widely on this, from $50 to $130.

- $30ish MR2 shifter

- a cable shift setup. (you can do it yourself, all the way up to Ian's kit which is high $300's.

The Boxster trans is pretty much the same as a Passat trans, so you could go that way. Mike Bellis can tell you what you need there.

Only thing is...the adapter plate will cost you almost as much as a used Subaru or Audi engine... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

EDIT: I rambled on so long Mike already chimed in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

I'm not sure which axle is stronger- has anyone used a resplined Suby axle instead of the 914? One might think that the years have made a stronger axle to use. Then again, maybe it's not long enough? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I haven't heard that line in years...
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 8 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 8 2015, 08:53 PM) *

I'm not sure which axle is stronger- has anyone used a resplined Suby axle instead of the 914? One might think that the years have made a stronger axle to use. Then again, maybe it's not long enough? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I haven't heard that line in years...

Well I won't say they are too short, but they aren't the right length (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Much easier to use the 914 axles...HIGHLY unlikely you'll snap an axle. The CV joint will be more than happy to break first. Trust me.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 8 2015, 08:37 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I can dig a preserved 914 Pat. I would venture to say my subaru powered 914 is a huge improvement over it's stock 2.0 predecessor. It is more reliable, more powerful & most of all it's my car. I can do what I please to it & will. I have owned many 914's & most have been stock one's. If I ever meet you at an event. I'd love for you to drive my car & then tell me if it was a pleasurable experience or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . Still feels & drive's like a 914. Only smoother faster & the shifts are easy with no hunting or grinding of gears (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

So for future reference if I ever bought your car Pat. I would leave it just like it is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) . It is a nice beautiful stock 914 I would be proud to own. I love 914's in all forms. Okay well there are some body kits out there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 8 2015, 08:41 PM
Post #11

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Pat, you know the 014 is referred to as a "momentum car" that will lose in the straights but then catch up in the curves? For some people (you) that's as far as that thought goes, that's what it is so we're done. But for a lot of other people that "lose in the straights" is a symptom of a problem, a shortcoming, something that can and should be resolved. Fuck it, if we're losing on the straights let's make the damn thing faster and not concede anything ANYWHERE. It's human nature, when something has a problem that can be fixed it should be fixed. Don't rail against it, it's sweeping back the tide. We aren't museum curators, we're car guys, and we WILL go faster.

It's just fun. Fun is good, right?

+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 8 2015, 09:08 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 8 2015, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 8 2015, 08:53 PM) *

Well I won't say they are too short, but they aren't the right length (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Much easier to use the 914 axles...HIGHLY unlikely you'll snap an axle. The CV joint will be more than happy to break first. Trust me.

And you haven't had any strength problems using the stock 914 cv joints with the power applied by the mighty EG33? And whose axles are you using?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 8 2015, 09:46 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 8 2015, 06:16 PM) *

Boxster is virtually the same as the Passat and the Passat tranny can be had for $400.

Man,you are not kidding....a bunch on eBay for $400 and less...one for $375 shipped!

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 8 2015, 09:54 PM
Post #14

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

You can get them at pick n pulls... Or scrappers...

Last one I picked up was $60

They are also supposedly stronger than the subaru units. lots of interchangable parts with the porsches' like the stub axles.. It makes sense as the more logical option.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 8 2015, 10:03 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 8 2015, 08:54 PM) *

It makes sense as the more logical option.

More sense... as long as you're not using a Subaru engine.... right?

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 8 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #16

Spooling.... Please wait

The question was ignoring physical engine itself, and so was my answer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 8 2015, 10:22 PM
Post #17

Fact is that matching any engine to a different manufacturer's transmission introduces so many variables that it's not really viable. Possible, sure, but not logical. The only "logical" solution is to match the engine with the transmission. Unless it's just a theoretical discussion that will probably never be realized. Or no?

+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Oct 8 2015, 10:26 PM
Post #18

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Great to see you back and full of vinegar Pat! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 8 2015, 10:34 PM
Post #19

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 8 2015, 08:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 8 2015, 06:16 PM) *

Man,you are not kidding....a bunch on eBay for $400 and less...one for $375 shipped!

Plus Boxster flanges are available in 100mm and 108mm depending on 5 or 6 speed respectively. That's bolt on for CV joints.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 8 2015, 10:35 PM
Post #20

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 8 2015, 09:22 PM) *

Unless it's just a theoretical discussion that will probably never be realized.

Nail on the head (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 09:11 PM