Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type IV air-cooled motor with Boxster transmission conversion? Pics and discussion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mueller
Curiosity got me to pondering the above questions....

Suppose non-Subaru motor for the Subaru transmission and non-Boxster/Audi engine for the Boxster transmission.

What about axles and hooking up to the drive hubs? One easier or vastly less expensive than the other?

EDIT 2/21/2016:
Now with pictures comparing Boxster transmission to 901 transmission
r_towle
Dude, use the aircooled motor and the tranny you have....get it done and drive it....

And Subaru is your answer.
Mike Bellis
Boxster is virtually the same as the Passat and the Passat tranny can be had for $400.
Chris H.
Mike, I'm surprised you haven't caught the full-on Subaru bug. You were one of the engine swap pioneers with that VR6 idea of yours. You could go Subaru engine connected to Subaru 5MT trans! A 2.5 maybe?

Anyway, the cheaper way for a trans only is probably Subaru as Rich said, but either isn't too bad for the 5 speed.

Needs:

FWD Subie trans - pre-1996 - OLD and cheap, hard to tell the condition due to age, but at junkyards they usually let you swap them out if they are bad

OR (more common)

AWD trans - You would have to buy the locking spool for the AWD one but could easily make the end plate and sell the center diff for $. At a junkyard you can get older ones for low $. Newer ones can be $$$. Make sure it's old enough that it has stub axles.

Plus:

- two "female" Subaru CV joints (used ones from NASIOC or Craigslist, I got mine for $50). Green in color usually.

- labor to re-spline a set of 914 axles re-splined on one end for the Subaru CV. This is as good or better than the $$$ sway-a-ways. The price has varied widely on this, from $50 to $130.

- $30ish MR2 shifter

- a cable shift setup. (you can do it yourself, all the way up to Ian's kit which is high $300's.

The Boxster trans is pretty much the same as a Passat trans, so you could go that way. Mike Bellis can tell you what you need there.

Only thing is...the adapter plate will cost you almost as much as a used Subaru or Audi engine... idea.gif

EDIT: I rambled on so long Mike already chimed in biggrin.gif .
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 8 2015, 04:29 PM) *

Suppose non-Subaru motor for the Subaru transmission and non-Boxster/Audi engine for the Boxster transmission.

What about axles and hooking up to the drive hubs? One easier or vastly less expensive than the other?

Sad! You people have no regard for history/preservation. You want to make an abomination out of a sports car that worked so well. Please vent your silliness elsewhere.
It's a 914! Leave it alone!
Mueller
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 8 2015, 06:46 PM) *

Sad! You people have no regard for history/preservation. You want to make an abomination out of a sports car that worked so well. Please vent your silliness elsewhere.

Horse and buggies worked fine also.... smile.gif

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 8 2015, 07:49 PM) *

Horse and buggies worked fine also.... smile.gif

And they are still acceptable as vintage....not barbarian!
mgp4591
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 8 2015, 07:36 PM) *

Mike, I'm surprised you haven't caught the full-on Subaru bug. You were one of the engine swap pioneers with that VR6 idea of yours. You could go Subaru engine connected to Subaru 5MT trans! A 2.5 maybe?

Anyway, the cheaper way for a trans only is probably Subaru as Rich said, but either isn't too bad for the 5 speed.

Needs:

FWD Subie trans - pre-1996 - OLD and cheap, hard to tell the condition due to age, but at junkyards they usually let you swap them out if they are bad

OR (more common)

AWD trans - You would have to buy the locking spool for the AWD one but could easily make the end plate and sell the center diff for $. At a junkyard you can get older ones for low $. Newer ones can be $$$. Make sure it's old enough that it has stub axles.

Plus:

- two "female" Subaru CV joints (used ones from NASIOC or Craigslist, I got mine for $50). Green in color usually.

- labor to re-spline a set of 914 axles re-splined on one end for the Subaru CV. This is as good or better than the $$$ sway-a-ways. The price has varied widely on this, from $50 to $130.

- $30ish MR2 shifter

- a cable shift setup. (you can do it yourself, all the way up to Ian's kit which is high $300's.

The Boxster trans is pretty much the same as a Passat trans, so you could go that way. Mike Bellis can tell you what you need there.

Only thing is...the adapter plate will cost you almost as much as a used Subaru or Audi engine... idea.gif

EDIT: I rambled on so long Mike already chimed in biggrin.gif .

I'm not sure which axle is stronger- has anyone used a resplined Suby axle instead of the 914? One might think that the years have made a stronger axle to use. Then again, maybe it's not long enough? confused24.gif I haven't heard that line in years...
Chris H.
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 8 2015, 08:53 PM) *

I'm not sure which axle is stronger- has anyone used a resplined Suby axle instead of the 914? One might think that the years have made a stronger axle to use. Then again, maybe it's not long enough? confused24.gif I haven't heard that line in years...

Well I won't say they are too short, but they aren't the right length biggrin.gif . Much easier to use the 914 axles...HIGHLY unlikely you'll snap an axle. The CV joint will be more than happy to break first. Trust me.
JRust
I can dig a preserved 914 Pat. I would venture to say my subaru powered 914 is a huge improvement over it's stock 2.0 predecessor. It is more reliable, more powerful & most of all it's my car. I can do what I please to it & will. I have owned many 914's & most have been stock one's. If I ever meet you at an event. I'd love for you to drive my car & then tell me if it was a pleasurable experience or not confused24.gif . Still feels & drive's like a 914. Only smoother faster & the shifts are easy with no hunting or grinding of gears evilgrin.gif

So for future reference if I ever bought your car Pat. I would leave it just like it is wub.gif . It is a nice beautiful stock 914 I would be proud to own. I love 914's in all forms. Okay well there are some body kits out there icon8.gif
DBCooper
Pat, you know the 014 is referred to as a "momentum car" that will lose in the straights but then catch up in the curves? For some people (you) that's as far as that thought goes, that's what it is so we're done. But for a lot of other people that "lose in the straights" is a symptom of a problem, a shortcoming, something that can and should be resolved. Fuck it, if we're losing on the straights let's make the damn thing faster and not concede anything ANYWHERE. It's human nature, when something has a problem that can be fixed it should be fixed. Don't rail against it, it's sweeping back the tide. We aren't museum curators, we're car guys, and we WILL go faster.

It's just fun. Fun is good, right?

mgp4591
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 8 2015, 08:09 PM) *

Well I won't say they are too short, but they aren't the right length biggrin.gif . Much easier to use the 914 axles...HIGHLY unlikely you'll snap an axle. The CV joint will be more than happy to break first. Trust me.

And you haven't had any strength problems using the stock 914 cv joints with the power applied by the mighty EG33? And whose axles are you using?
Mueller
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 8 2015, 06:16 PM) *

Boxster is virtually the same as the Passat and the Passat tranny can be had for $400.

Man,you are not kidding....a bunch on eBay for $400 and less...one for $375 shipped!

Andyrew
You can get them at pick n pulls... Or scrappers...

Last one I picked up was $60

They are also supposedly stronger than the subaru units. lots of interchangable parts with the porsches' like the stub axles.. It makes sense as the more logical option.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 8 2015, 08:54 PM) *

It makes sense as the more logical option.

More sense... as long as you're not using a Subaru engine.... right?

Andyrew
The question was ignoring physical engine itself, and so was my answer. smile.gif

DBCooper
Fact is that matching any engine to a different manufacturer's transmission introduces so many variables that it's not really viable. Possible, sure, but not logical. The only "logical" solution is to match the engine with the transmission. Unless it's just a theoretical discussion that will probably never be realized. Or no?

KELTY360

Great to see you back and full of vinegar Pat! cheer.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 8 2015, 08:46 PM) *

Man,you are not kidding....a bunch on eBay for $400 and less...one for $375 shipped!

Plus Boxster flanges are available in 100mm and 108mm depending on 5 or 6 speed respectively. That's bolt on for CV joints.
Andyrew
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 8 2015, 09:22 PM) *

Unless it's just a theoretical discussion that will probably never be realized.

Nail on the head biggrin.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Oct 8 2015, 09:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 8 2015, 08:46 PM) *

Plus Boxster flanges are available in 100mm and 108mm depending on 5 or 6 speed respectively. That's bolt on for CV joints.

^
This

(Still need to get those 100mm's from you...)

Combine that with 100mm 944 turbo stub axles and VW bus 100mm CV's, with some machined axles its basically bolt in..
Bruce Hinds
I'm surprised in two pages here nobody has mentioned gearing. . .
Which one runs taller and wider gear sets that would be better for a v8?
messix
passat tdi?
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 8 2015, 09:37 PM) *

Combine that with 100mm 944 turbo stub axles .... with some machined axles its basically bolt in..

So how hard to find and pricey are the turbo stubs, and what is required on the axles?
Andyrew
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Oct 8 2015, 09:49 PM) *

I alluded to it.. The Audi gearboxes have interchaneable gears that allow you to customize it pretty well. Many diesel transmission options that put out some super tall ratios and 4 cylinder trans that are close and natrow.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 8 2015, 10:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 8 2015, 09:37 PM) *

Combine that with 100mm 944 turbo stub axles .... with some machined axles its basically bolt in..

So how hard to find and pricey are the turbo stubs, and what is required on the axles?

Turbo stubs are on any 944 turbo. So pretty easy, I bought a set for 75 on here. Axles will need custom measured and cut axles. Some maths here... as well as one of the offroad shops that build axles.
Mueller

They are also supposedly stronger than the subaru units. lots of interchangable parts with the porsches' like the stub axles.. It makes sense as the more logical option.

I'd rather pay a little more to not have to crawl around the ground under a car at the wreckers and not drive an hour each way smile.gif

Interesting about the different size flanges...I happen to have 4 brand new 930 CV's sitting on my shelf at home...

1stworks
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Oct 8 2015, 10:49 PM) *

My take on gearing with ls1/ boxster S 6 speed.
Tire size 205 50 15
I run 2700 at 65mph,3900 at 100mph 6th gear.
Around town driving is so smooth, I use 1-6,freeway driving
It's a little high but it keeps me at respectable speed >100.
Top end probably 130ish maybe more but that not for me.

Best part boxster S transmission is you use shifter and cables from
Boxster,works perfectly and cheep.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 9 2015, 06:58 AM) *

I'd rather pay a little more to not have to crawl around the ground under a car at the wreckers and not drive an hour each way smile.gif

Interesting about the different size flanges...I happen to have 4 brand new 930 CV's sitting on my shelf at home...

Pick n pull has an option that people can pull parts for you. You say what you need and pay them to pull it. Its on their website smile.gif
76-914
Did I miss the response to your "LSD" question or was that not addressed, yet? popcorn[1].gif
1stworks
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 9 2015, 01:07 PM) *

Did I miss the response to your "LSD" question or was that not addressed, yet? popcorn[1].gif

From my research witch isn't much if you can find used front
Lsd for suby it's at least 1000.00
New boxster S lsd around 1500 super easy to install.

I thought I'd need one with my ls but turns out I dont.
It lays 2 tracks on open diff....
biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 9 2015, 12:07 PM) *

On phone right now, but I found a thread on an Audi forum that someone mentions you can get a factory LSD from the rear diff of a V8 Quattro dirt cheap and use that in the Audi/boxster transmission
Chris H.
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 8 2015, 10:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 8 2015, 08:09 PM) *

And you haven't had any strength problems using the stock 914 cv joints with the power applied by the mighty EG33? And whose axles are you using?

I definitely have had issues with the 914 CVs. Snapped two of them, but they were worn out. My previous 1.8 with fairly chattery clutch was just so weak it could not push them hard enough to snap them. Many people are running fine on conversions with good 914 CVs. I switched to 944, but only because I had the opportunity to. I used sway-a-way axles but they aren't required either.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Oct 8 2015, 09:49 PM) *

Audi/VW 5 speed code DUK is setup for TDI motors and has taller gearing. Many to be found on ebay UK cheap.
Bruce Hinds
Has that been done here, SBC or LS V8 to Audi? I'm wondering about starter application . . . It looks like that's another obstacle.
Andyrew
Andys has a audi trans to his LS engine IIRC.

strawman
I've got an OBX Torsen-type LSD in my Suby transaxle. Search "Suby + Rustoration" to see my build thread on installing it into my 5-sp Suby transaxle. Pretty straightforward...
DBCooper
I have a Quaife in mine, about $1100, but that was before the OBX's were available. So what did the OBX cost? (I ask, already knowing the answer)

jimkelly
there is always something better but suby/suby must be pretty nice. driving.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 10 2015, 10:57 AM) *

there is always something better but suby/suby must be pretty nice. driving.gif

Found this thread...Honda V6 to Subaru transmission

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.ph...46&start=75

And this company makes adapters for Type IV and GM LSX motor to Subaru transmissions

http://www.subarugears.com/Adaptors/Adaptors.html

Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 9 2015, 08:30 AM) *

Pick n pull has an option that people can pull parts for you. You say what you need and pay them to pull it. Its on their website smile.gif

How long to pull one?

Found a complete (minus the motor) '03 Passat with a manual for $400, looks like decent black leather interior which I could use the seats in my Volvo...hmmmm
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 10 2015, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 9 2015, 08:30 AM) *

How long to pull one?

Found a complete (minus the motor) '03 Passat with a manual for $400, looks like decent black leather interior which I could use the seats in my Volvo...hmmmm

Buy the Passat. The whole motor and tranny will pluck right out the front after some dissasembly.
Andyrew
There are only 4 bolts holding it in just like the 914. If you dont care about the car its actually pretty easy. Sawzall the shift linkage (the bolts are stupid difficult) and the cv joint shafts and take your time with the front end and wiring and you can have it pulled in a day by yourself.

Keep the wiring going to the dash and to the engine and you can make this a relatively easy swap...
mepstein
I took the car to my mechanic. He dropped the engine for $100. Put the engine on a pallet and into my van. Kevin and I removed the harness in about 2 hours. Mechanic had the car picked up. Easy.
Cracker
"Sad" is that this rhetoric is still being spewed from members year after year (ususally the same source)...its certainly not "piss and vinegar" but ignorance and hostility. Stock 914's are great...but so can 914's that are modified.

FWIW: This site is NOT called "www.stock914world.com - sigh. (And) Isn't there an originality "type" forum on this board (for you to indulge in)? Hmm?

Tony

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 8 2015, 08:46 PM) *

Gary
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 10 2015, 01:38 PM) *

And this company makes adapters for Type IV and GM LSX motor to Subaru transmissions

Really curious about this adapter behind a 6. Could be a definitive solution to the 901 1st gear / shift linkage / parts cost and availability challenges.
mepstein
QUOTE(Gary @ Oct 12 2015, 09:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 10 2015, 01:38 PM) *

Really curious about this adapter behind a 6. Could be a definitive solution to the 901 1st gear / shift linkage / parts cost and availability challenges.

agree.gif add a cable shifter and your really talking.
DBCooper
Someone was asking about what bolt-in swap kits to sell, there it is right there.

Mueller
After some research and pondering about this and that, I decided that for me, the ideal transmission between the Subaru and Boxster would be from a Passat av-943.gif

From what I've read and heard, the Passat 5 speed transmission is nearly identical and is a near direct swap with the Boxster transmission (5 speed, not the 6 speed version)

$200 for this puppy, not too bad.

IPB Image
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 13 2015, 08:54 AM) *

After some research and pondering about this and that, I decided that for me, the ideal transmission between the Subaru and Boxster would be from a Passat av-943.gif

From what I've read and heard, the Passat 5 speed transmission is nearly identical and is a near direct swap with the Boxster transmission (5 speed, not the 6 speed version)

$200 for this puppy, not too bad.

IPB Image

Since you like to machine, you will have no problem making an adapter from the 130mm tripoidal flanges to a 100mm or 108mm or even 94mm CV. You can also buy the 100mm flanges and literally pop them in without modification. Boxster had them and some VW's. The VW version will be cheaper if you can find it.

Somewhere in my and Andys build threads you will see the trick adapters he made. for the tripoidal flanges. Don't know why VW calls them tripoidal when they clearly have 6 points... confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.