Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GT cooler install, Setrab unit from PMS
rtalich
post Oct 17 2015, 10:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,913
Region Association: None

I know there isn't a right or wrong way to install (or maybe there is). Just would like to know or get idea's from people that have done this particular install. Is there a prefabbed bracket I can buy? Or do I simply bolt this as close to the front as I possibly can? Using isolation mounts of course.

Also, how is the bottom shroud mounted?

I have a few ideas of how I want to mount... just would like to see what others have done. Thanks!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 17 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I used the pbase site as a guide when I did mine.
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/9146gt_front_m...l_coolerI'm
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/the9146gt_fron...l_modifications
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
23e Heure
post Oct 18 2015, 02:26 PM
Post #3

Busy overtaking 911s

Member No.: 19,057
Region Association: England

I'm bookmarking this thread...

Has anyone fitted the louvred belly pan section that PMS sell as part of the kit?

Pictures please?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 18 2015, 03:14 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(23e Heure @ Oct 18 2015, 04:26 PM) *

I'm bookmarking this thread...

Has anyone fitted the louvred belly pan section that PMS sell as part of the kit?

Pictures please?

Pms website has lots of pics.
+Quote Post
23e Heure
post Oct 18 2015, 03:41 PM
Post #5

Busy overtaking 911s

I had a scroll through the PMS pics, and sorry if I am being a muppet and missing some obvious ones, I just can't see a nice detail shot of the louvred belly pan itself.

Would be nice to get a nice clean shot of a front trunk with the pan installed, and before a cooler and shroud (obv.!) has been fitted.
The third one is the best angle... shame its such a small jpg (and a questionable install?)

These are the best I could turn up thru the PMS links:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/patrickms.s3.amazonaws.com-19057-1445204467.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/patrickms.s3.amazonaws.com-19057-1445204469.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/patrickms.s3.amazonaws.com-19057-1445204470.3.JPG)

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 18 2015, 04:10 PM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

I wanted max air flow so I asked scotty to make me up a custom set of louvers. The aluminum shroud was his idea.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rtalich
post Oct 18 2015, 07:21 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,913

Thanks for the info and pics so far!! All pics I've seen on PMS website are not all that detailed enough to see what was done exactly.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 19 2015, 06:48 AM
Post #8

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
naro914
post Oct 19 2015, 08:27 AM
Post #9

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

We went a different route with Huey because we drive him for trips and want to use the front trunk area. We got a flatter style cooler and mounted it on the floor, that way the air is not heated up until it passes through the cooler and out, and the shroud does not get hot thus heating up everything in the front trunk (like the beer cooler that fits nicely up there!!). It also allows for a much flatter shroud meaning you have more open depth to use, but it takes up more of the floor space...so a trade off...
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it (for some reason??) and its currently at the shop to get the rear suspension fixed. If I can sneak over there and get a few pics, I will

For Papa Smurf, we fabricated a bracket system to vent it out the hood...
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Oct 19 2015, 09:16 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,985

Whatever you do, make sure the actual surface area of the air exit from your trunck is at least the same as the surface area of your cooler. So if the dimensions of your cooler that face the air source are 24 x 6, for example, then the exit must be at least 144 sq. inches. 1.5 times the cooler size is even better. The louvered panels shown in the thread look like a nice, clean option, but I'll bet the actual louver openings are nowhere near the size needed to exit air for a large cooler.

Apologies if I am stating the obvious, but if the exit from your cooler is restrictive, the air will stack up in your duct and basically won't even enter your duct opening (hence limited cooling), and will defeat much of the purpose of a front mounted cooler setup.

Scott
+Quote Post
naro914
post Oct 19 2015, 09:33 AM
Post #11

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

Scott's right. Obviously, air expands when heated so the volume of air increases and needs to exit....Which is another reason the mounted to the floor option worked well...the exit is effectively unlimited area..
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Oct 19 2015, 10:21 AM
Post #12

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207

Really nice work on the louvers and Al shroud.

Understand that the incoming air will want to expand when heated/as it passes through the cooler. Theoretically (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) if one is going fast enough* (and shapes the inlet and exit ducts correctly) then the smaller exit could provide some additional thrust via the "Meredith Effect." The next question would be where to put that exit . . . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

*fast enough ~ > 200 mph
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 19 2015, 11:36 AM
Post #13

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

What's the total damage for cooler, shroud, oil lines and thermostat?
+Quote Post
23e Heure
post Oct 19 2015, 12:23 PM
Post #14

Busy overtaking 911s

QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 19 2015, 06:36 PM) *

What's the total damage for cooler, shroud, oil lines and thermostat?

PMS price = $1870 plus shipping, including the louvred belly pan section
+Quote Post
23e Heure
post Oct 19 2015, 12:47 PM
Post #15

Busy overtaking 911s

That custom made one in mepstein's post above does fit well, some nice fabricating went into that.

And I guess the extra louvres help allay any concerns about the (hot) air pressure physics.

Still wondering though if we can find any clean photos of the standard PMS louvred belly pan installed..?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 19 2015, 12:53 PM
Post #16

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Oct 19 2015, 08:16 AM) *
Whatever you do, make sure the actual surface area of the air exit from your trunck is at least the same as the surface area of your cooler. So if the dimensions of your cooler that face the air source are 24 x 6, for example, then the exit must be at least 144 sq. inches. 1.5 times the cooler size is even better. The louvered panels shown in the thread look like a nice, clean option, but I'll bet the actual louver openings are nowhere near the size needed to exit air for a large cooler.

Apologies if I am stating the obvious, but if the exit from your cooler is restrictive, the air will stack up in your duct and basically won't even enter your duct opening (hence limited cooling), and will defeat much of the purpose of a front mounted cooler setup.

That would be true in a static environment.

However, if you increase air speed after the cooler you can expel that same air just as efficiently with a smaller size outlet.
Which is exactly what the louvers do ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 19 2015, 01:10 PM
Post #17

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Now you guys have me worried. I have the exact same set-up as Mark with louvers in the trunk floor, like PMS has on their car above. I am going to go out a limb here and say if PMS selected this method to expel hot air from their car, it will be good enough for my street driver. However, you got me thinking for a minute there....
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 19 2015, 01:27 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 19 2015, 03:10 PM) *

Now you guys have me worried. I have the exact same set-up as Mark with louvers in the trunk floor, like PMS has on their car above. I am going to go out a limb here and say if PMS selected this method to expel hot air from their car, it will be good enough for my street driver. However, you got me thinking for a minute there....

Michael - you have nothing to worry about. Remember, the front cooler is a supplement to your on engine cooler. Your covered.

I removed my on engine cooler so I'm relying solely on the front cooler. If it gets to warm I will add back the engine cooler.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 19 2015, 01:29 PM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2015, 02:53 PM) *

However, if you increase air speed after the cooler you can expel that same air just as efficiently with a smaller size outlet.

I'm going to use an electric fan over the louvers. Hopefully that will give me adequate airflow when the car is stationary
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 19 2015, 01:36 PM
Post #20

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 19 2015, 12:29 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2015, 02:53 PM) *

I'm going to use an electric fan over the louvers. Hopefully that will give me adequate airflow when the car is stationary

That wasn't my point, but yes, a fan will help when not moving.

My point was that the design of the louvers will increase the air speed of the hot air while the car is moving, thus offsetting some of the surface area required for the exit holes.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 10:50 PM