Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT cooler install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rtalich
I know there isn't a right or wrong way to install (or maybe there is). Just would like to know or get idea's from people that have done this particular install. Is there a prefabbed bracket I can buy? Or do I simply bolt this as close to the front as I possibly can? Using isolation mounts of course.

Also, how is the bottom shroud mounted?

I have a few ideas of how I want to mount... just would like to see what others have done. Thanks!
Steve
I used the pbase site as a guide when I did mine.
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/9146gt_front_m...l_coolerI'm
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/the9146gt_fron...l_modifications
23e Heure
I'm bookmarking this thread...

Has anyone fitted the louvred belly pan section that PMS sell as part of the kit?

Pictures please?
mepstein
QUOTE(23e Heure @ Oct 18 2015, 04:26 PM) *

I'm bookmarking this thread...

Has anyone fitted the louvred belly pan section that PMS sell as part of the kit?

Pictures please?

Pms website has lots of pics.
23e Heure
I had a scroll through the PMS pics, and sorry if I am being a muppet and missing some obvious ones, I just can't see a nice detail shot of the louvred belly pan itself.

Would be nice to get a nice clean shot of a front trunk with the pan installed, and before a cooler and shroud (obv.!) has been fitted.
The third one is the best angle... shame its such a small jpg (and a questionable install?)

These are the best I could turn up thru the PMS links:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

mepstein
I wanted max air flow so I asked scotty to make me up a custom set of louvers. The aluminum shroud was his idea.
rtalich
Thanks for the info and pics so far!! All pics I've seen on PMS website are not all that detailed enough to see what was done exactly.
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif
naro914
We went a different route with Huey because we drive him for trips and want to use the front trunk area. We got a flatter style cooler and mounted it on the floor, that way the air is not heated up until it passes through the cooler and out, and the shroud does not get hot thus heating up everything in the front trunk (like the beer cooler that fits nicely up there!!). It also allows for a much flatter shroud meaning you have more open depth to use, but it takes up more of the floor space...so a trade off...
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it (for some reason??) and its currently at the shop to get the rear suspension fixed. If I can sneak over there and get a few pics, I will

For Papa Smurf, we fabricated a bracket system to vent it out the hood...
stownsen914
Whatever you do, make sure the actual surface area of the air exit from your trunck is at least the same as the surface area of your cooler. So if the dimensions of your cooler that face the air source are 24 x 6, for example, then the exit must be at least 144 sq. inches. 1.5 times the cooler size is even better. The louvered panels shown in the thread look like a nice, clean option, but I'll bet the actual louver openings are nowhere near the size needed to exit air for a large cooler.

Apologies if I am stating the obvious, but if the exit from your cooler is restrictive, the air will stack up in your duct and basically won't even enter your duct opening (hence limited cooling), and will defeat much of the purpose of a front mounted cooler setup.

Scott
naro914
Scott's right. Obviously, air expands when heated so the volume of air increases and needs to exit....Which is another reason the mounted to the floor option worked well...the exit is effectively unlimited area..
anderssj
Really nice work on the louvers and Al shroud.

Understand that the incoming air will want to expand when heated/as it passes through the cooler. Theoretically dry.gif if one is going fast enough* (and shapes the inlet and exit ducts correctly) then the smaller exit could provide some additional thrust via the "Meredith Effect." The next question would be where to put that exit . . . . biggrin.gif

*fast enough ~ > 200 mph
EdwardBlume
What's the total damage for cooler, shroud, oil lines and thermostat?
23e Heure
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 19 2015, 06:36 PM) *

What's the total damage for cooler, shroud, oil lines and thermostat?

PMS price = $1870 plus shipping, including the louvred belly pan section
23e Heure
That custom made one in mepstein's post above does fit well, some nice fabricating went into that.

And I guess the extra louvres help allay any concerns about the (hot) air pressure physics.

Still wondering though if we can find any clean photos of the standard PMS louvred belly pan installed..?
SirAndy
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Oct 19 2015, 08:16 AM) *
Whatever you do, make sure the actual surface area of the air exit from your trunck is at least the same as the surface area of your cooler. So if the dimensions of your cooler that face the air source are 24 x 6, for example, then the exit must be at least 144 sq. inches. 1.5 times the cooler size is even better. The louvered panels shown in the thread look like a nice, clean option, but I'll bet the actual louver openings are nowhere near the size needed to exit air for a large cooler.

Apologies if I am stating the obvious, but if the exit from your cooler is restrictive, the air will stack up in your duct and basically won't even enter your duct opening (hence limited cooling), and will defeat much of the purpose of a front mounted cooler setup.

That would be true in a static environment.

However, if you increase air speed after the cooler you can expel that same air just as efficiently with a smaller size outlet.
Which is exactly what the louvers do ...
shades.gif
Cairo94507
Now you guys have me worried. I have the exact same set-up as Mark with louvers in the trunk floor, like PMS has on their car above. I am going to go out a limb here and say if PMS selected this method to expel hot air from their car, it will be good enough for my street driver. However, you got me thinking for a minute there....
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 19 2015, 03:10 PM) *

Now you guys have me worried. I have the exact same set-up as Mark with louvers in the trunk floor, like PMS has on their car above. I am going to go out a limb here and say if PMS selected this method to expel hot air from their car, it will be good enough for my street driver. However, you got me thinking for a minute there....

Michael - you have nothing to worry about. Remember, the front cooler is a supplement to your on engine cooler. Your covered.

I removed my on engine cooler so I'm relying solely on the front cooler. If it gets to warm I will add back the engine cooler.
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 19 2015, 02:53 PM) *

However, if you increase air speed after the cooler you can expel that same air just as efficiently with a smaller size outlet.
shades.gif

I'm going to use an electric fan over the louvers. Hopefully that will give me adequate airflow when the car is stationary
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 19 2015, 12:29 PM) *

shades.gif
I'm going to use an electric fan over the louvers. Hopefully that will give me adequate airflow when the car is stationary

That wasn't my point, but yes, a fan will help when not moving.

My point was that the design of the louvers will increase the air speed of the hot air while the car is moving, thus offsetting some of the surface area required for the exit holes.
shades.gif
stownsen914

shades.gif

It is true that louvers create a pressure differential where one would not otherwise exist, e.g. at the top of a prototype fender. My statement earlier about exit sizing assumes good air flow into a low pressure area. I'm curious to know how louvers totalling what look like maybe 1 sq. inch each can match flow of a large (100-200 sq. inch) opening into a low pressure area with a lip at the leading edge ...

Granted we are talking about a supplemental oil cooler here (and possibly a street application), so ideal exit flow may not be needed. In such a case louvers may be good enough.
SirAndy
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Oct 19 2015, 12:41 PM) *
Granted we are talking about a supplemental oil cooler here (and possibly a street application), so ideal exit flow may not be needed. In such a case louvers may be good enough.

My 3.6L has no engine cooler, all i have is the front mounted cooler and the air exits through a shroud and out the *top* trough several "louvers" in the hood.
The total surface area for the louvered openings is about the same as the area of the inlet.

While moving, the cooler is actually too efficient and unless i'm running a full race session on the track my car has trouble getting up to operating temps.
That's on a 80+ California day ...

The only time i see the temps approaching 220 is after a long drive on a hot day (90+) when i get stuck in traffic and have no air flow over the cooler (no fans).

In normal operating mode, my oil temps hover right around 180 ...
shades.gif
rtalich
I find it really hard to believe that nobody else on this website has this particular cooler installed!!
naro914
QUOTE(rtalich @ Oct 20 2015, 09:31 AM) *

I find it really hard to believe that nobody else on this website has this particular cooler installed!!

I do...the exact one on Papa Smurf...but it's vented up through the hood.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rtalich
Thanks! I will post pics of my install when I do it.
stownsen914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 20 2015, 09:41 AM) *

I do...the exact one on Papa Smurf...but it's vented up through the hood.

Nice install. Note that the way yours is done with the dual verical lips, it basically has really big louvers venting out the hood!
horizontally-opposed
Slickest setup I've seen on a street car was done on a GT silver 3.6-liter six conversion (East Coast?) with 996 C4 17-inch wheels. It had a custom resin-looking fiberglass shroud in the front trunk that directed the cooler's exhaust air to the front fender wells. Looked very "factory" in a 908 sort of way, and avoided any lift problems created by directing the air downward. It also made room for a space-saver spare. Car was for sale a while back, iirc.

Best setup I've seen on a 911 put two small coolers in the corners and vented them to the sides of the bumper. Done by one of Penske's main engineers/crew chiefs. Was too effective, apparently, as the engine stayed too cold—like Andy's. A nice problem to have if you are going to have one.

pete
JmuRiz
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 20 2015, 08:09 AM) *

Slickest setup I've seen on a street car was done on a GT silver 3.6-liter six conversion (East Coast?) with 996 C4 17-inch wheels. It had a custom resin-looking fiberglass shroud in the front trunk that directed the cooler's exhaust air to the front fender wells. Looked very "factory" in a 908 sort of way, and avoided any lift problems created by directing the air downward. It also made room for a space-saver spare. Car was for sale a while back, iirc.

Best setup I've seen on a 911 put two small coolers in the corners and vented them to the sides of the bumper. Done by one of Penske's main engineers/crew chiefs. Was too effective, apparently, as the engine stayed too cold—like Andy's. A nice problem to have if you are going to have one.

pete

This one:
IPB Image
IPB Image
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 19 2015, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 19 2015, 03:10 PM) *

Michael - you have nothing to worry about. Remember, the front cooler is a supplement to your on engine cooler. Your covered.

I removed my on engine cooler so I'm relying solely on the front cooler. If it gets to warm I will add back the engine cooler.

agree.gif your engine is a fairly mild 3.2 that isn't seeing track beatings. The front cooler is supplemental. Stock 911's ran the trombone setup with a similar sized cooler in the fender well that got a lot less air flow than your, and Marks cars will be getting. NO need to worry smile.gif
echocanyons
I asked Mark to engineer and install this one for my car based on Eastcoasters design.
IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Oct 20 2015, 12:45 PM) *

I asked Mark to engineer and install this one for my car based on Eastcoasters design.
IPB Image

Winner winner chicken dinner. I like that!
JmuRiz
Wow, that is VERY cool...spare tire, oil cooling and the stock cover still fits!!!

Sell a kit and I think there would be buyers
naro914

IPB Image

that is awesome! AND you can get a little cooling to the brakes if it was a track application...

I realized I have no pictures of Huey's front trunk area with the flat cooler, but I found a couple when it was in Papa Smurf from the bottom...not great pictures since I was taking pictures of the suspension control arms, but you get the idea...this was before I scraped off all the undercoating...
Wow...look how empty the front trunk was back then!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

naro914
Here's the inlet/outlet side of the cooler now in Papa Smurf:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
maf914
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Oct 20 2015, 08:45 AM) *

IPB Image

I agree, very nice installation by Mark. Is the ductwork fiberglass?

I always thought East Coaster's installation was first rate. Good work everyone.
QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 21 2015, 09:22 AM) *

that is awesome! AND you can get a little cooling to the brakes if it was a track application...

I realized I have no pictures of Huey's front trunk area with the flat cooler, but I found a couple when it was in Papa Smurf from the bottom...not great pictures since I was taking pictures of the suspension control arms, but you get the idea...this was before I scraped off all the undercoating...
Wow...look how empty the front trunk was back then!!

Very cool pictures of the cooler and what looks like ERP suspension components. cheer.gif
rtalich
I'd like to install these rubber isolators in this exact spot and as you can see the bottom is not flat. Any ideas of what I can do here? The top brackets are easy... I'll simple use an L bracket.

Thanks,
Rob

PS - Just using the L piece shown as support so I can a good picture... beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Contour the rubber grommet?
SirAndy
Add a metal spacer of sorts to the chassis that allows the rubber to be mounted exactly where you're holding it?
Or would that move everything up too high?

Just FYI, when i installed my front cooler, i added a U-channel to the bottom (and top) so that the cooler "floats" in it.
The U-channel is padded to absorb vibrations.

No rubber mounts were harmed during the install ...
smile.gif
ConeDodger

I think mine is the same one...
rtalich
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 24 2015, 09:15 AM) *

Thanks Rob!! Yes that is the same. Any way you could get a close up pic of the cooler mounts?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rtalich @ Oct 24 2015, 03:29 PM) *

Thanks Rob!! Yes that is the same. Any way you could get a close up pic of the cooler mounts?

Sorry. Not without uninstalling it. Call Mark. He does this the same way with each install for the GT type period correct look installs...
rtalich
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 25 2015, 03:50 AM) *

QUOTE(rtalich @ Oct 24 2015, 03:29 PM) *

Sorry. Not without uninstalling it. Call Mark. He does this the same way with each install for the GT type period correct look installs...

Thanks Rob!
rhodyguy
I'm confused. Very.
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 25 2015, 02:27 PM) *

I'm confused. Very.

Boys have a penis
Girls have a vagina
Cairo94507
What???? slap.gif
rtalich
QUOTE(rtalich @ Oct 23 2015, 06:21 PM) *

I'd like to install these rubber isolators in this exact spot and as you can see the bottom is not flat. Any ideas of what I can do here? The top brackets are easy... I'll simple use an L bracket.

Thanks,
Rob

PS - Just using the L piece shown as support so I can a good picture... beerchug.gif

This is what I've done so far...

bigkensteele
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 24 2015, 08:15 AM) *

Why is the shroud covered by a shroud? Not sure that I understand this setup.
mepstein
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 26 2015, 08:53 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 24 2015, 08:15 AM) *

Why is the shroud covered by a shroud? Not sure that I understand this setup.

The smaller shroud smooths the airflow over the metal hump on the body and sends it through the cooler. Not absolutely needed but a nice finishing touch.
rtalich
Don't have a lot of time to work on my car... but finally made a bit of progress.

-Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.