Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT cooler install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 26 2015, 04:53 PM) *

Why is the shroud covered by a shroud? Not sure that I understand this setup.

There's one under the cooler, and one over the cooler. Evidently the designer didn't want the cooler just sitting on the trunk floor, so they raised it up slightly and provided a smoothly curved "floor" for the ducting. The cooler sits on top of that inner shroud, then the outer one goes over that.

--DD
rtalich
More progress...
ChrisFoley
Those don't look like -12
rtalich
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 17 2015, 08:49 AM) *

They are -12AN lines and fittings. The other lines in some of those pics are fuel, which are -6AN lines.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rtalich @ Nov 17 2015, 01:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 17 2015, 08:49 AM) *

They are -12AN lines and fittings.

Nevermind.
biggrin.gif
rtalich
Slowly but surely making progress. I got everything installed and removed spark plugs to do the prime and crank pressure build. Silly me.... I was thinking that the new lines and cooler would probably hold a couple more quarts of oil than before. After adding 7 quarts total!! I finally, after about 3 sessions of cranking for about 20-30 seconds per session, got pressure!! Just about 25 psi worth! And I still need to add another quart to top it off. Can't wait to get this baby back on the road!!
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 26 2015, 06:41 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Oct 26 2015, 08:53 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 24 2015, 08:15 AM) *

QUOTE(rtalich @ Oct 20 2015, 09:31 AM) *

I find it really hard to believe that nobody else on this website has this particular cooler installed!!

I think mine is the same one...

Why is the shroud covered by a shroud? Not sure that I understand this setup.

The smaller shroud smooths the airflow over the metal hump on the body and sends it through the cooler. Not absolutely needed but a nice finishing touch.

That's how the factory did it. Getty design is just a fiberglass replica.
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/oil_cooler_cover_support_nos
rtalich
Well... Finally got the car running again. Took it for a short spin around the block. Overall, ran great!
23e Heure
Somebody posted shots on a similar thread of the really neat job they did installing a front oil cooler while retaining the chrome bumper.

I have done a forum search and can't seem to find that post... Could anybody help me with that?

The car in question is light ivory, if that is of any help.

Cheers!
ConeDodger
Mine isn't light ivory, but I did the same cooler and a steel bumper. The cooler itself is a Setrab replica of the one used in the 70's on the GT cars. The shroud is a Getty design product. My bumper can be replicated by Original Customs in Grand Rapids Michigan. They did all of the install and fabrication on mine. The bill for the bumper is not for the faint of heart and frankly, I think McMark gave me a good deal on it since the person he was building it for got lightheaded over the price, but expect +- $2000 for this bumper. Oh, and that's after you supply the bumper! The chrome is so good, I'm sending in my already rechromed rear bumper for a redo at the place McMark uses...
rgalla9146

Even as we speak.
echocanyons
Very cool!
Looking forward to the completed version.
What cooler did you end up going with? Any accessory fans?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Jul 8 2016, 10:38 PM) *

Very cool!
Looking forward to the completed version.
What cooler did you end up going with? Any accessory fans?

No fans.
Replica OE GT cooler.
Will use a 911 thermo back in the drivers side lower engine compartment.
Brass tubes and all OE metric fittings
Harpo
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 8 2016, 09:38 AM) *

Even as we speak.

I was asking McMark about that last month.
JmuRiz
VERY cool shroud!
23e Heure
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 8 2016, 03:39 PM) *

Mine isn't light ivory, but I did the same cooler and a steel bumper. The cooler itself is a Setrab replica of the one used in the 70's on the GT cars. The shroud is a Getty design product. My bumper can be replicated by Original Customs in Grand Rapids Michigan. They did all of the install and fabrication on mine. The bill for the bumper is not for the faint of heart and frankly, I think McMark gave me a good deal on it since the person he was building it for got lightheaded over the price, but expect +- $2000 for this bumper. Oh, and that's after you supply the bumper! The chrome is so good, I'm sending in my already rechromed rear bumper for a redo at the place McMark uses...

Only just spotted that you had responded to my post: thanks! Car looks great.

Price sounds heavy, but when you think about the fabrication work required it probably makes sense.
I'm in UK and hourly rate is probably higher than where you are, so I may have to rethink plans or shop around.

Still wondering who it was that did this with their light ivory car...
Mueller
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 8 2016, 10:38 AM) *

Even as we speak.

Neat, is it going to have a bottom to it or will you just use the trunk floor?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 20 2016, 05:45 PM) *

Even as we speak.

fiberglass duct above floor to fenderwells
pictures don't illustrate too well...shadows,colors etc.etc
rgalla9146

Even as we speak.

maf914
Very nice fiberglass work. How was the duct molded? With a foam male plug? I would like to learn how to do small fiberglass projects like that.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(maf914 @ Jul 21 2016, 11:02 AM) *

Very nice fiberglass work. How was the duct molded? With a foam male plug? I would like to learn how to do small fiberglass projects like that.

Yes, done over a styrofoam form wrapped in clear packing tape.
After the fiberglass is hard the styrofoam is broken up and removed from the inside.
There is an earlier picture in this thread with the foam still inside.
Cairo94507
That looks like an excellent solution and keeps one from having to open up the trunk floor. smilie_pokal.gif
barefoot
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 20 2016, 06:49 PM) *

Even as we speak.

Now if you'd done it in carbon, then really cool !!
Bare boat interior prior to interior build:

Click to view attachment
Mitox
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 20 2016, 06:47 PM) *

Even as we speak.

fiberglass duct above floor to fenderwells
pictures don't illustrate too well...shadows,colors etc.etc

This looks great; love the workmanship. I may go this direction on my project, but use some scrap carbon fiber material.
I've got the Patrick Motorsport / Setrab auxiliary front cooler on my big 4, and finding it takes a long time to reach operating temperature, at least when it's cool outside. I've been told the oil thermostat that came with the kit will only block 90% of the flow. So I'm thinking about stuffing a bunch of shop towels in the front opening! Or is there a better solution?
mepstein
QUOTE(98101 @ Nov 22 2017, 09:38 PM) *

I've got the Patrick Motorsport / Setrab auxiliary front cooler on my big 4, and finding it takes a long time to reach operating temperature, at least when it's cool outside. I've been told the oil thermostat that came with the kit will only block 90% of the flow. So I'm thinking about stuffing a bunch of shop towels in the front opening! Or is there a better solution?

Maybe some magnetic sheet material like you use for signs on cars. Cut to size and stick on as needed.
Dave_Darling
Magnets, coroplast (corrugated plastic sign material), duct tape, maybe something like venetian blinds...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.