Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Been trailer shopping, Wasn't sure if I should jump on this one, now open discussion
billh1963
post Oct 27 2015, 12:48 PM
Post #41

Car Hoarder!

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(arsprod @ Oct 27 2015, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 27 2015, 02:37 PM) *

For prices in the mid-teens, I've thought many times about buying something like this:

And you can make a little cash on the side

Not sure I want the liability (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

That being said, you could certainly haul stuff for friends and family (and 914world members) for "gas money".
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 27 2015, 01:08 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 27 2015, 10:37 AM) *

For prices in the mid-teens, I've thought many times about buying something like this:

In a lot of states you need a special class of license, and commercial insurance, which isn't cheap. Not to mention riding in those for long periods of time is not much fun. Much better off with a good pickup and a decent trailer.

I have loaded up an entire warehouse of parts on one of those, at midnight no less, and took them to Scotty B's parent's house, that was a fun night!
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 28 2015, 01:24 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Of course, even a pricey trailer has it's breaking point. I had one axle break on me a few years ago, it became un-attached to the trailer. I fixed it in a snowstorm on Cape Cod in a dude's driveway, luckily he had a welder. I crawled under it again this summer and shored up my welds. Well, I was in Rhode Island last week loading up a B Coupe and heard a familiar clank, luck would have it this guy had a welder too, so I welded it up again. But today we are re-engineering the whole thing, putting bolts in addition to welds. Featherlite makes a really nice trailer, but some of their design is really lacking, like where the ramps are stored, I have yet to see one that is over a year old where the doors are broken off.
Oh, well, fix it and use it again!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Oct 28 2015, 05:00 PM
Post #44

Ronin Member

Member No.: 11,232

I want a big enclosed trailer, 28-30 ft, and a Duraburb to pull it. We move every 3-4 years, and it'd be nice to haul my entire garage, cars, motorcycle, etc.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 28 2015, 08:05 PM
Post #45

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I built this 12' trailer about 25 years ago from plans in a hot VW's mag article.
At the time it cost me $550 in parts.

I need to rebuild it now and wondering what to use for the deck, I want a full solid deck this time but it has to be light. The crossmembers are 24" OC
It was designed for a VW bug, that's why the axle sits so far back, I might move it forward a bit.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Oct 28 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #46

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

I would say whatever you get for a trailer get something that has stake pockets if getting a open trailer. I find it makes it handy for more than just hauling a car. Also get something with trailer brakes and if a tandem axle have the brakes on both axles.

If towing in hills or mountain areas you need something that can pull, but also stop that load. My old 2006 Ram 1500 was fine on small hills and flat(ish) roads, but found out on my first trip to Hershey PA I need a something that had more Umph for towing. I upgraded (some will beg to differ) to a 2014 F250 (Gas) and it does the job VERY well.

YMMV

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 28 2015, 08:31 PM
Post #47

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 28 2015, 10:05 PM) *

I built this 12' trailer about 25 years ago from plans in a hot VW's mag article.

I need to rebuild it now and wondering what to use for the deck, I want a full solid deck this time but it has to be light. The crossmembers are 24" OC
It was designed for a VW bug, that's why the axle sits so far back, I might move it forward a bit.

I still have that article, are the plans still available?
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 28 2015, 11:28 PM
Post #48

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bulitt @ Oct 21 2015, 08:47 AM) *

Depends on the rating of your truck.
Big tex sells a car hauler for 1995$ here in NC.
Tandem with wooden floor only weighs around 1500lbs.
You can pop the center sections out to lighten it even more or keep in place
to double as a utility trailer.
For 3000$ I would go with a new enclosed.

Trailer Thread- http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=trailer

7x14

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) + an enclosed trailer can outfitted to perform multiple tasks.

They're up closer to $4k now (new) + $1.50/mile delivery (that's a lot coming from the S/E to the W coast) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

In 2012, I paid $4k for a second-hand 7x16' (with a 3' V-nose), added insulation in the walls & ceiling, 4 windows and a H-F 5000 lb winch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
arsprod
post Oct 29 2015, 07:49 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 18,519
Region Association: Upper MidWest

This is a great selection of trailers, who wants to sell me one?! My biggest problem is storage - where do you all keep your trailers? My wife's been clear that it will not live in our yard and the driveway is pretty full. I've been thinking about having a 12-footer built that will fit in the garage with a car on it but would really like something a bit bigger. Help!
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 29 2015, 08:03 AM
Post #50

If I had the money.

Attached Image

And this is why

I also saw this one out at SEMA, will actually in the circus Circus Parking lot, last time I let my wife book Vegas Hotel Rooms. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Combine the best features of both (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 29 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #51

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 28 2015, 10:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 28 2015, 10:05 PM) *

I still have that article, are the plans still available?

now I remember I didn't have plans, I made my own using the scale of a bug and the fact it was a 12" trailer, to get my measurements.

I'd be happy to measure it out for you if you like..
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 29 2015, 01:55 PM
Post #52

That would be great, thank you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 29 2015, 03:49 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

My first trailer was a single axle trailer that barely fit a 356. But it was small enough that I could pull it behind my 4cyl Nissan Frontier. I did cross-country with it, but it wasn't ideal, think 3rd gear getting up the PA mountains. But if you were only going around town or to the track, it might work for someone, and a smaller trailer takes up less room.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 30 2015, 11:16 AM
Post #54

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The guys are delivering a couple cars

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 2 2015, 01:21 PM
Post #55

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Another shop trailer
No ramps needed

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Nov 2 2015, 01:33 PM
Post #56

You bought another 914?

QUOTE(arsprod @ Oct 29 2015, 07:49 AM) *

This is a great selection of trailers, who wants to sell me one?! My biggest problem is storage - where do you all keep your trailers? My wife's been clear that it will not live in our yard and the driveway is pretty full. I've been thinking about having a 12-footer built that will fit in the garage with a car on it but would really like something a bit bigger. Help!

I store mine next to the shed in the backyard. It is blocked from the view of the house by the shed. IMHO a 12' trailer would not be big enough. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 16'
+Quote Post
arsprod
post Nov 2 2015, 01:42 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Nov 2 2015, 02:33 PM) *

I store mine next to the shed in the backyard. It is blocked from the view of the house by the shed. IMHO a 12' trailer would not be big enough. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 16'

Why's that? Here's what I'm thinking of having built - 12' bed with 4' tongue. This a friend of mine's - he's been using it for 3 years with no issues. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1446493341.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Nov 2 2015, 02:19 PM
Post #58

You bought another 914?

QUOTE(arsprod @ Nov 2 2015, 01:42 PM) *

Why's that? Here's what I'm thinking of having built - 12' bed with 4' tongue. This a friend of mine's - he's been using it for 3 years with no issues. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1446493341.1.jpg)

For me I prefer to have a little extra room for loading and unloading. If you ever want to haul something a little longer / bigger than your 914 it gives you room to do so. Also not a fan of a single axle trailers. In my experience I found them to be a bit bouncy. I like dual axles better.

I use my trailer for more than just hauling my racecar to the track. Having the stake pockets makes it easy to "modify" for whatever I need to haul. This past week I dropped in some side rails I made and hauled home a big load of firewood. Done the same for hauling rock, mulch, and more.

I had a trailer for years (14ft) that was just big enough to haul my car and it worked ok. Once we got the new home (15yrs ago) it made more sense for me to have something a little bigger that I am able to change around to do more than just haul my car.
+Quote Post
arsprod
post Nov 2 2015, 02:27 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Nov 2 2015, 03:19 PM) *

Why's that? Here's what I'm thinking of having built - 12' bed with 4' tongue. This a friend of mine's - he's been using it for 3 years with no issues.

For me I prefer to have a little extra room for loading and unloading. If you ever want to haul something a little longer / bigger than your 914 it gives you room to do so. Also not a fan of a single axle trailers. In my experience I found them to be a bit bouncy. I like dual axles better.

I use my trailer for more than just hauling my racecar to the track. Having the stake pockets makes it easy to "modify" for whatever I need to haul. This past week I dropped in some side rails I made and hauled home a big load of firewood. Done the same for hauling rock, mulch, and more.

I had a trailer for years (14ft) that was just big enough to haul my car and it worked ok. Once we got the new home (15yrs ago) it made more sense for me to have something a little bigger that I am able to change around to do more than just haul my car.

Yeah, all makes sense but storage is a serious problem for me. Unless I discover a reasonable alternative (i.e. cheap) I need to keep it in my garage. At 16' total this will fit fine, still enough room for another car (the 914!). I'm actually seeing if they can make this with dual axles... probably little bitty wheels!
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Nov 2 2015, 02:33 PM
Post #60

You bought another 914?

QUOTE(arsprod @ Nov 2 2015, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Nov 2 2015, 03:19 PM) *

Why's that? Here's what I'm thinking of having built - 12' bed with 4' tongue. This a friend of mine's - he's been using it for 3 years with no issues.

Yeah, all makes sense but storage is a serious problem for me. Unless I discover a reasonable alternative (i.e. cheap) I need to keep it in my garage. At 16' total this will fit fine, still enough room for another car (the 914!). I'm actually seeing if they can make this with dual axles... probably little bitty wheels!

My old 14ft had dual axles with stock tires. Make sure you get removable fenders it makes it easier to open the doors of the car if needed while on the trailer. If you are having it built I would get the stake pockets added. I know I keep saying that, but sure is nice to be able to haul other things when needed.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:28 PM