Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Roller lifters, Anyone tried them?
914work
post Oct 28 2015, 09:42 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,762
Region Association: None

Sigh...
Right Jake you are the only one smart enough to solve the puzzle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jerkit.gif)

Since as you have stated you only install this solution in your engines ...
and as you've also stated that the vast majority of those engines dont go into 914s
or stay in the US, why not share some of your knowledge rather than come to this predominantly DIY fourm to beat your breast or guerrilla market your services?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914work
post Oct 28 2015, 09:49 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 13,762
Region Association: None

where do you (did you) get Ceramic lifters?
+Quote Post
914werke
post Oct 28 2015, 09:51 PM
Post #23

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 28 2015, 10:15 PM
Post #24

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Anyone can do this thats willing to spend enough time and money to stick with it. It may take months, or years to know if it works, and you better have a stock pile of engine cores, and parts that you are willing to throw away.

FYI- 75% of the engines I have on the books now are FOR 914 applications, and all but one is staying in the USA. The applications change like the weather here, sometimes over half of what we are building goes into a beetle, other times a 356.

I am personally building a customer's 2270 T4, and installing it into a 914, and the job will be done by March.

why not share some of your knowledge rather than come to this predominantly DIY fourm to beat your breast or guerrilla market your services?

Because I'm an asshole. Now, who wants to argue with that?

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Oct 28 2015, 10:18 PM
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 28 2015, 10:34 PM
Post #25

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

75 percent here in 914's? Seriously? How many engines is that? Anyone here know anyone who's buying a Raby engine?

+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 28 2015, 11:11 PM
Post #26

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 29 2015, 12:34 AM) *
75 percent here in 914's? Seriously? How many engines is that? Anyone here know anyone who's buying a Raby engine?

My 2056 is on the dyno as we speak... err, type.
It will be going in my 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
JoeD
post Oct 29 2015, 06:43 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 18,973

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 29 2015, 12:34 AM) *

Well, I am. Jake has my engine too. Pulled it a couple weeks ago to build into his 2270 SR.

This summer I picked up my first 914, a 1973 1.7. The body was in great condition, but I knew I wanted to replace the 1.7 with something with a bit more punch. My son and I are DYIing everything else... interior, body, electrical, even trying my hand a little welding. But for the engine I wanted the best and it's beyond me and my teenage son so we went to see Jake to talk about what he could do.

I have to say that even though he's just declared himself an a-hole, Jake was anything but. He was incredibly generous and gracious with his time; my boy and I ended up spending the better part of a day with him in his workshop looking at cars, talking engines and life in general.

I bought this car as a project for my son and me to have something to bond over as I see him start to pull away into his teenager years. I watched him light up as Jake walked him around the shop, explained how engines work, described what makes an air-cooled engine special, talked about how he was going to get our engine to make more power, and patiently answered every question.

Since then my boy has jumped in to our build with an enthusiasm and passion he typically only shows for video games. Together we got the 1.7 running like a top this summer and there were times when he literally took the wrench out of my hands while doing it. I'm beyond grateful for what Jake did to inspire a 13-year-old like that.

And incidentally, Jud and everyone else we've talked with at RAT are great folks, too. We can't wait to have that Massive Type 4 in our 914!

Attached Image
Visit to RAT up in Cleveland, GA

Attached Image
Jumping right in

Attached Image
Engine out, now back to our garage to do the interior and fix some other stuff while we (patiently!) wait for the engine!
+Quote Post
IN RANGE inc.
post Oct 29 2015, 08:52 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 18,163

A Raby roller motor is the Smoothest type four with the most bottom end torque I've ever seen. I also saw one on the dyno down there. Of course it was balanced but it just reeved smoother and cleaner than the flat tappet motors I've seen him run. Maybe even sound a little different? Here again it all comes down to what you are willing to spend. If you want it. You have to pay for it. Also I was down there last week dropping off another project and he had another 914 engine on the dyno. Didn't get to hear it run because something was out on the dyno but it was clean as a pin. All powder coated etc!!!!!! Even had Sync-link on the carbs. That is way cool too!!!
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 29 2015, 09:39 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(IN RANGE inc. @ Oct 29 2015, 07:52 AM) *

A Raby roller motor is the Smoothest type four with the most bottom end torque I've ever seen. I also saw one on the dyno down there. Of course it was balanced but it just reeved smoother and cleaner than the flat tappet motors I've seen him run. Maybe even sound a little different? Here again it all comes down to what you are willing to spend. If you want it. You have to pay for it. Also I was down there last week dropping off another project and he had another 914 engine on the dyno. Didn't get to hear it run because something was out on the dyno but it was clean as a pin. All powder coated etc!!!!!! Even had Sync-link on the carbs. That is way cool too!!!

Seriously? The "Smoothest type for with the most bottom end torque you've ever seen"? I'm a little surprised to hear that, since in your posts you said you come from the T1 world and are new to T4's.

+Quote Post
IN RANGE inc.
post Oct 29 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 29 2015, 07:39 AM) *

Seriously? The "Smoothest type for with the most bottom end torque you've ever seen"? I'm a little surprised to hear that, since in your posts you said you come from the T1 world and are new to T4's.

Really? I have seen and been around type fours for years but have only owned one since I bought my 914. I did a butt load of research thereafter. I have road in and driven MANY in the past year. I've been fortunate to see Jake dyno no less than five type fours in my trips down there this year. If you will look. My last posts were several months back and I have done a BUNCH of research in that time. However I guess since I have no been on this forum since it's conception my observations and comments are unwelcome?
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 29 2015, 10:01 AM
Post #31

QUOTE(IN RANGE inc. @ Oct 29 2015, 08:54 AM) *

Really? I have seen and been around type fours for years but have only owned one since I bought my 914. I did a butt load of research thereafter. I have road in and driven MANY in the past year. I've been fortunate to see Jake dyno no less than five type fours in my trips down there this year. If you will look. My last posts were several months back and I have done a BUNCH of research in that time. However I guess since I have no been on this forum since it's conception my observations and comments are unwelcome?

Of course not. Everyone makes their own observations and yours are as valid as anyone else's. Just odd that a few months ago you were saying you knew nothing, now it's "the best you've ever seen." From that the obvious question is, "so how much have you actually seen?" Several months and a BUNCH of research, and the question's answered. Thanks.

+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 29 2015, 10:18 AM
Post #32

Engine Surgeon

Classic. DB asks for a show of hands of who is on my list, and all he can do is work to take credibility away from a member that made an honest observation. Those statements were his opinion, does he not rate an opinion?

This thread is about roller lifters. It isn't about who is on my list, nor is it about a member's prior experiences with other engines. Its clear that DB thought he'd hear crickets when he asked for a show of hands of those who are awaiting their T4 engine from me.
+Quote Post
IN RANGE inc.
post Oct 29 2015, 10:19 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 29 2015, 08:01 AM) *

QUOTE(IN RANGE inc. @ Oct 29 2015, 08:54 AM) *

Of course not. Everyone makes their own observations and yours are as valid as anyone else's. Just odd that a few months ago you were saying you knew nothing, now it's "the best you've ever seen." From that the obvious question is, "so how much have you actually seen?" Several months and a BUNCH of research, and the question's answered. Thanks.

I only said I was new to type fours. I have been into aircooled VWs since the 1980s and have gone quicker in the 1/8 mile in a street legal bug than only but maybe one or two people. I have personally built aircooled type ones that made OVER 125 hp per cylinder to the ground. Needless to say I have experience with flat fours.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 29 2015, 10:48 AM
Post #34

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

QUOTE(IN RANGE inc. @ Oct 29 2015, 10:52 AM) *
... Also I was down there last week dropping off another project and he had another 914 engine on the dyno. Didn't get to hear it run because something was out on the dyno but it was clean as a pin. All powder coated etc!!!!!! Even had Sync-link on the carbs. That is way cool too!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) This engine is going to add new life to my LE!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 29 2015, 11:00 AM
Post #35

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

And...when you start 'sharing' proprietary information, people like to have knockoffs made elsewhere and start marketing them as 'their own'. Like the shameless attempted ripoff of the DTM fan/cooling systems and the 'forged aluminum' LN Nickies. Fact, not speculation. (Edited for content)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 29 2015, 11:03 AM
Post #36

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 29 2015, 09:00 AM) *

And...when you start 'sharing' proprietary information, people like to have knockoffs made elsewhere and start marketing them as 'their own'. Like the shameless attempted ripoff of the DTM fan/cooling systems. Fact, not speculation.

Absolutely.

One photo will show what several years of work has produced, and it's not unique enough to Patent.

I know a few things about that process, I hold one and have 3 more pending.
+Quote Post
IN RANGE inc.
post Oct 29 2015, 11:25 AM
Post #37

Here's what 125 hp per cylinder aircooled looks like on the dyno, five years ago. Needless to say. This was not my first type one and definitely not the first flat four I had seen. BUT! I have slept in a Holiday Inn Express.

Dyno vid.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 29 2015, 12:12 PM
Post #38

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(IN RANGE inc. @ Oct 29 2015, 09:25 AM) *

Here's what 125 hp per cylinder aircooled looks like on the dyno, five years ago. Needless to say. This was not my first type one and definitely not the first flat four I had seen. BUT! I have slept in a Holiday Inn Express.

Dyno vid.

That guy running the dyno in that video is an asshole!

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Oct 29 2015, 12:26 PM
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 29 2015, 02:15 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 29 2015, 09:18 AM) *

Classic. DB asks for a show of hands of who is on my list, and all he can do is work to take credibility away from a member that made an honest observation. Those statements were his opinion, does he not rate an opinion?

Of course he does, and like anyone else his opinion is worth more when he knows what he's talking about, less when he doesn't. When he said he'd only been around T4's for a year and doesn't know much about them isn't that curious? That's not what I said, it's what HE said. So I asked, and what exactly is the problem with that? And he answered, and I thanked him. Done, and that should be it.

This thread is about roller lifters. It isn't about who is on my list, nor is it about a member's prior experiences with other engines. Its clear that DB thought he'd hear crickets when he asked for a show of hands of those who are awaiting their T4 engine from me.

Not at all, and I don't care a bit who's on your "list", or even the fact that you have a "list." I asked because I'm curious, just like the original poster. I've never seen an aircooled VW with roller lifters, you said there were some here in the U.S. and I was curious to know 1) if they were anyone I knew, and 2) whether there were any nearby so I could take a look for myself, maybe even see and hear one run. So what, exactly, is wrong with that?

I think you're a little thin-skinned, Jake, and way too ready to be offended or think there's some conspiracy against you. There isn't one, so far as I know. Lighten up.

+Quote Post
toon1
post Oct 29 2015, 03:08 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 5,022

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 29 2015, 01:15 PM) *

Of course he does, and like anyone else his opinion is worth more when he knows what he's talking about, less when he doesn't. When he said he'd only been around T4's for a year and doesn't know much about them isn't that curious? That's not what I said, it's what HE said. So I asked, and what exactly is the problem with that? And he answered, and I thanked him. Done, and that should be it.

Not at all, and I don't care a bit who's on your "list", or even the fact that you have a "list." I asked because I'm curious, just like the original poster. I've never seen an aircooled VW with roller lifters, you said there were some here in the U.S. and I was curious to know 1) if they were anyone I knew, and 2) whether there were any nearby so I could take a look for myself, maybe even see and hear one run. So what, exactly, is wrong with that?

I think you're a little thin-skinned, Jake, and way too ready to be offended or think there's some conspiracy against you. There isn't one, so far as I know. Lighten up.

There is a guy on the Samba that did RL's in a type 1 engine a few years ago. Had good luck them.

I think the final version was with Pauter lifters. If you go to the Pauter web site they have an all billet machined block( case) with their RL's inside. VERY cool!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 04:41 PM