Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

69 Pages V « < 53 54 55 56 57 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style, EFI is back on
bbrock
post Nov 22 2020, 02:16 PM
Post #1081

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 22 2020, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 22 2020, 06:55 AM) *

Time goes by pretty fast with these projects. I'm guessing that an average lenght restoration. The car looks excellent!

Thanks @krieger .. I wonder as well what the average time is. @bbrock and @tygaboy including @dion are close to me length of time I am sure.

Oh boy that's a tricky one. I made my first post on the forum in March 2017 and have been working hard for 3 and a half years since. However, I started buying parts for the project and started work in 1989. Yes, that's right, I have been working on this project since the Berlin Wall came down. At that time, I completed much of the disassembly and rebuilt the short block of the engine. So how do we count that? Is it three and a half years or 31? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I'd say a generous estimate is that I spent 6 months on the project before it went down for a Rip Van Winkle slumber so maybe we just say I've been at it for 4 years now? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 7 2020, 10:15 AM
Post #1082

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Making progressAttached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 7 2020, 10:15 AM
Post #1083

914 Guru

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 7 2020, 10:34 AM
Post #1084

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Ben, your car is looking really, really good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Love the color, calipers (!), trunk details (hinges, spare, etc), oil lines, etc. Wow.

One thing to look out for—if you aren't already—is a set of Euro driving lights. I don't see them often over here, but they were common on RoW cars. I'm not sure how common they are over there now, and wonder what else they were spec'd on, but they really add a lot to a GT conversion.

Other quick thought, having been where you are with the front bumper three times now: While it isn't strictly correct, I painted the bulkhead behind the bumper black the last time around—and am really glad I did. Low light always bugged me, as it picked up the red through the grilles; felt like a visual mistake on the factory's part. Very easy to do at this stage, and makes a really nice impact unless concours is a goal.
+Quote Post
cali914
post Dec 7 2020, 10:50 AM
Post #1085

cali914

Member No.: 5,934
Region Association: Northern California

Ditto that car is trophy worthy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 7 2020, 11:04 AM
Post #1086

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Love the plated and lightened hood hinges. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Looks great and coming along nicely. Glad to see you're making progress and didn't sell the car!

I've also got to take a look at MaxJax requirements for floor thickness and ceiling heights - that looks like a nice rig!
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 7 2020, 03:38 PM
Post #1087

914 Guru

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 7 2020, 09:04 AM) *

Love the plated and lightened hood hinges. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Looks great and coming along nicely. Glad to see you're making progress and didn't sell the car!

I've also got to take a look at MaxJax requirements for floor thickness and ceiling heights - that looks like a nice rig!

Thanks and happy as well.. The maxjax has been great though they cost 1k more then what i bought mine for
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 7 2020, 03:41 PM
Post #1088

914 Guru

QUOTE(cali914 @ Dec 7 2020, 08:50 AM) *

Ditto that car is trophy worthy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

Note sure about that. It's an average car .. I am happy to have it this far..
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 7 2020, 03:43 PM
Post #1089

914 Guru

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 7 2020, 08:34 AM) *

Ben, your car is looking really, really good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Love the color, calipers (!), trunk details (hinges, spare, etc), oil lines, etc. Wow.

One thing to look out for—if you aren't already—is a set of Euro driving lights. I don't see them often over here, but they were common on RoW cars. I'm not sure how common they are over there now, and wonder what else they were spec'd on, but they really add a lot to a GT conversion.

Other quick thought, having been where you are with the front bumper three times now: While it isn't strictly correct, I painted the bulkhead behind the bumper black the last time around—and am really glad I did. Low light always bugged me, as it picked up the red through the grilles; felt like a visual mistake on the factory's part. Very easy to do at this stage, and makes a really nice impact unless concours is a goal.

All good points.. Not sure if I will do driving lights.. Right now the focus is final fit and adjust all panels then home alignment, then fix a few oil leaks..
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 7 2020, 04:31 PM
Post #1090

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 7 2020, 12:04 PM) *

I talked to Ben a bit about the Maxjax and bought one on the black Friday sale. I only have an 8.5' ceiling so a mid rise two post should be good. The shop had real two post lifts and they made working on Porsche's very easy. I haven't checked my concrete yet but if it turns out to be too thin, I'll just cut it out and add more. I'm pretty sure they raise a car 45".

I like the idea of portability, not only for moving the posts out of the way but for adding a second set of mounts so I could move the lift to the center of the garage when I want a lot of room around the car but also have mounts on the side so I can keep two cars side by side if needed.

I've seen guys use them for their pick up trucks but I'll never have anything more than a Porsche on the lift so it's more than enough lift for me. The new ones have some nice improvements but do cost more.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 7 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #1091

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 7 2020, 02:31 PM) *

I talked to Ben a bit about the Maxjax and bought one on the black Friday sale. I only have an 8.5' ceiling so a mid rise two post should be good. The shop had real two post lifts and they made working on Porsche's very easy. I haven't checked my concrete yet but if it turns out to be too thin, I'll just cut it out and add more.

I like the idea of portability, not only for moving the posts out of the way but for adding a second set of mounts so I could move the lift to the center of the garage when I want a lot of room around the car but also have mounts on the side so I can keep two cars side by side if needed.

I've seen guys use them for their pick up trucks but I'll never have anything more than a Porsche on the lift so it's more than enough lift for me. The new ones have some nice improvements but do cost more.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Much more adjustment with the new ones.. Mine was last year black Friday.. Just before they sold out to the new company.. Actually it was 2 years ago.. I made a bracket to mount the power pack on the wall.. That helps clears space..
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 7 2020, 04:53 PM
Post #1092

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 7 2020, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 7 2020, 02:31 PM) *

I talked to Ben a bit about the Maxjax and bought one on the black Friday sale. I only have an 8.5' ceiling so a mid rise two post should be good. The shop had real two post lifts and they made working on Porsche's very easy. I haven't checked my concrete yet but if it turns out to be too thin, I'll just cut it out and add more.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Much more adjustment with the new ones.. Mine was last year black Friday.. Just before they sold out to the new company.. Actually it was 2 years ago.. I made a bracket to mount the power pack on the wall.. That helps clears space..

Lots of tips on garage journal about the hoses and mounting options.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 13 2020, 07:06 AM
Post #1093

914 Guru

Well driver side door is wrapped up.. Thanks to @mepstein and @ValcoOscar for the door panels and the leather door pulls. Now to get going on the new exhaust for this car. Attached Image
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Dec 13 2020, 02:03 PM
Post #1094

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 13 2020, 05:06 AM) *

Well driver side door is wrapped up.. Thanks to @mepstein and @ValcoOscar for the door panels and the leather door pulls. Now to get going on the new exhaust for this car. Attached Image

Looking great Ben (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (diet pepsi)

Oscar
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 13 2020, 06:16 PM
Post #1095

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

@MB911 Ben looking good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 13 2020, 06:30 PM
Post #1096

914 Guru

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 13 2020, 04:16 PM) *

Thanks @914forme the bumper you sent is currently getting chromed to help finish the front of the car
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Dec 16 2020, 11:22 PM
Post #1097

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

........such an EPIC journey (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 17 2020, 08:26 PM
Post #1098

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

How did I get so far behind on your thread? I'm SO happy to see it moving forward. Your work is amazing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 18 2020, 12:50 PM
Post #1099

914 Guru

Here is an updated picture.. I have made good progress. Fixed an trans axle seal, now for RSR rocker shaft seals, finish the hood pins. Had to stop on that as my shoulder is really giving me trouble and working on oil tanks along with muffler orders has made this a pretty busy month. Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 4 2021, 02:19 PM
Post #1100

914 Guru

Spring 2021Attached Image
+Quote Post

69 Pages V « < 53 54 55 56 57 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:52 AM