Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
Just a quick introduction. I am picking up a 74 1.8 this weekend to do a 6 conversion on. I built one about 15 years ago but then sold it and had a 964 and a 911 turbo in its absence. I have since sold everything and have not had a porsche in about 3 years.

Technology has changed since my absence and was looking for a quick list of must do's when doing a conversion..

Thanks
Cairo94507
Welcome back to the madness and welcome.png

There is a ton of information on this club site regarding conversions. Spend some time and all will be revealed. But, first and most importantly, we need to see pictures of the car and the usual rust spots. Welcome aboard.
mepstein
welcome.png
lots of great conversion threads
lots of gread vendors and members
this site rocks!
Have fun!
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 18 2015, 05:20 AM) *

welcome.png
this site rocks!
Have fun!

I actually am buying the car from a current member and will post pictures when I get it back..

Just a little more information about myself. When I did my conversion I had CNC'd a bunch of intermediate plates and also made a bunch of engine mounts along with rear sway bar mounts.. I then built 914-6 headers for my car and then a muffler and all the sudden mkexhaust.com was born. I sold M&K about 3 years ago after growing the business to a point that it was time to sell. I plan to make some more parts for the 914 market but to a much lower level then M&K was.

I am really looking forward to this experience again. My first project will be 5 bolt conversion then I will be hand making steel flares off of paterns I have. Then on to oil tanks and engine mounts and possible engine sheet metal.
Cracker
...and you're asking everyone here for advice? Is your real name "Dr. 914"? LOL

Welcome back.

Tony
mb911
QUOTE(Cracker @ Nov 18 2015, 06:22 AM) *

...and you're asking everyone here for advice? Is your real name "Dr. 914"? LOL

Welcome back.

Tony

Ha ha no not hardly.. I have just been away from 914's so long I need to relearn them. The reason why I chose this car is because of all the Porsches I have owned my 6 was the most fun car I had. The turbo was wicked fast but was dangerous at the same time to a point I said enough.. The 914 is just a much more forgiving car and its the only car that should be a "targa"

mepstein
Is this Ben?
Mueller
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 18 2015, 05:11 AM) *

Just a quick introduction. I am picking up a 74 1.8 this weekend to do a 6 conversion on. I built one about 15 years ago but then sold it and had a 964 and a 911 turbo in its absence. I have since sold everything and have not had a porsche in about 3 years.

Technology has changed since my absence and was looking for a quick list of must do's when doing a conversion..

Thanks

huh?

Only thing that has changed is fuel management and you had the some of the newer stuff in the 964 and possibly the turbo depending on the year.

The cost has gone up a lot, other than that nothing else is really different.

mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 18 2015, 07:36 AM) *

Is this Ben?

Yup
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 18 2015, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 18 2015, 07:36 AM) *

Is this Ben?

Yup

Awesome!
porschetub
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 19 2015, 02:17 AM) *

Welcome back to the madness and welcome.png

There is a ton of information on this club site regarding conversions. Spend some time and all will be revealed. But, first and most importantly, we need to see pictures of the car and the usual rust spots. Welcome aboard.

Good points,yea there is a lot info on a lot of sites but there is also lots of incorrect info out there ,my experience is the best info is on here and Pelican.
These conversions IMO have gone from being straight forward to more difficult in recent years due to original parts supply and cost,if you are doing a less than original conversion the aftermart stuff is easy enough to source but due to the limited market the parts really aren't cheap.
Judging by the amount of Subaru and V8 conversions being done many are finding -6 conversion is just too expensive,prices for good running donor motors for example have risen steeply in recent times so we are seeing more later 3.2 and 3.6 engines being used.
Buying a core motor and overhauling it can better option as you know what you have from the start.
If you have the $$ up front there are converted cars for sale for way less than the cost of doing a build,some I have recently seen can be real bargains considering the outlay of time and money by the sellers.
It is really hard to put an accurate cost on conversions unless you have a really clean car as a starting point,I feel I'am very lucky in that respect.
EdwardBlume
welcome.png

If I were starting another /6 conversion, I'd map out the whole thing on paper so I'm happy with the results.

Enjoy!
whitetwinturbo
chowtime.gif
Dave_Darling
The basics really haven't changed. The availability of some parts has, but several vendors have stepped up and are making parts. Check 914rubber, for example.

The engines still mostly bolt up to the transmissions, though some particular flywheel/clutch combinations may need to be used. (For instance, a 3.0 or later motor needs a special "conversion flywheel" to mate with the 914's 901-based gearbox. Kennedy sells those.) Going with a 915-based box means you work out the mounting, shifting, and clutch linkage issues yourself, or pay someone like Wevo a bunch of money for a setup that's pretty well sorted.

Welcome back to the 914 fold. The li'l buggers really are hard to walk away from, aren't they?

--DD
PanelBilly
Burlington WA?
KevinGieg
Hey welcome and let us know when you fab
Those 914 six oil tanks. smile.gif
11tenths
Holy Crap! One of the most revered 'blasts from the past' in the 911 world (MK Exhaust) takes a sabbatical and lands back in our 'World!

That has to be one of the most ringing endorsements for our little cars yet!

Welcome aboard Ben!

Cheers- Harry
JmuRiz
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 18 2015, 06:16 AM) *

...I then built 914-6 headers for my car and then a muffler and all the sudden mkexhaust.com was born. I sold M&K about 3 years ago after growing the business to a point that it was time to sell. I plan to make some more parts for the 914 market but to a much lower level then M&K was.

I am really looking forward to this experience again. My first project will be 5 bolt conversion then I will be hand making steel flares off of patterns I have. Then on to oil tanks and engine mounts and possible engine sheet metal.

Now we're talking!!!

BTW I have an old M&K to put on my 914/6 conversion...to whom should I send it if I want to modify it? Looking to do the rally-style 3rd pipe, in the stock location, put on my 2-pipe sport style.
Mueller

welcome.png
this site rocks!
Have fun!

I actually am buying the car from a current member and will post pictures when I get it back..

Just a little more information about myself. When I did my conversion I had CNC'd a bunch of intermediate plates and also made a bunch of engine mounts along with rear sway bar mounts.. I then built 914-6 headers for my car and then a muffler and all the sudden mkexhaust.com was born. I sold M&K about 3 years ago after growing the business to a point that it was time to sell. I plan to make some more parts for the 914 market but to a much lower level then M&K was.

I am really looking forward to this experience again. My first project will be 5 bolt conversion then I will be hand making steel flares off of paterns I have. Then on to oil tanks and engine mounts and possible engine sheet metal.

Now kinda feel like an a-hole with my response wacko.gif

Looking foward to seeing your build....especially the flares.
mb911
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Nov 18 2015, 01:51 PM) *

...I then built 914-6 headers for my car and then a muffler and all the sudden mkexhaust.com was born. I sold M&K about 3 years ago after growing the business to a point that it was time to sell. I plan to make some more parts for the 914 market but to a much lower level then M&K was.

I am really looking forward to this experience again. My first project will be 5 bolt conversion then I will be hand making steel flares off of patterns I have. Then on to oil tanks and engine mounts and possible engine sheet metal.

Now we're talking!!!

BTW I have an old M&K to put on my 914/6 conversion...to whom should I send it if I want to modify it? Looking to do the rally-style 3rd pipe, in the stock location, put on my 2-pipe sport style.

I can do the mods. The new owner still has me do all of his mods anyhow for the m&k stuff anyhow..
mb911
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 18 2015, 02:24 PM) *

welcome.png
this site rocks!
Have fun!

Now kinda feel like an a-hole with my response wacko.gif

Looking foward to seeing your build....especially the flares.

No worries
mb911
QUOTE(KevinGieg @ Nov 18 2015, 12:55 PM) *

Hey welcome and let us know when you fab
Those 914 six oil tanks. smile.gif

I need to find a sample and then improve on it..
mtndawg
Former 911/914 person here...I too am considering a conversion of my newest '75 for the future so I'm subscribed to what you're doing.
mb911
QUOTE(mtndawg @ Nov 18 2015, 03:10 PM) *

Former 911/914 person here...I too am considering a conversion of my newest '75 for the future so I'm subscribed to what you're doing.

Should be fun.. I can't wait to get it home.. I am going to start posting pictures asap..
raynekat
In the midst of doing one (-6 conversion) on my 1971. I'll be doing it half factory/half aftermarket. Factory oil tank/filler neck/lines. Aftermarket engine mount and sheet metal. Will have a 2.4 E/S MFI engine installed along with upgraded 901 tranny complete with 904 mainshaft and all the Guard tranny upgrades possible.
GeorgeRud
Still one of the nicest projects out there as the final, sorted product is about the best ride you can have. I love my 911 Carrera, but absolutely go nuts when I can take my conversion -6 out for a spin!
mb911
Ok so an update..

I have the car though the seller was less then truthful as the pictures sent were not of the current condition of the car sad.gif He replaced one rocker and did a poor job as he did not cut out all the old rust sad.gif he then did not have the paperwork on the car and has since stopped trying to help me with that and the worst is he was a board member here)

The good news is that I know my way around Porsche's pretty well and I also am a welder Fabricator /instructor at a college, and the Paperwork issue has been solved with the help of a few on this board. I also have ordered a rear floor pan , new rockers, and have fabbed up the new front trunk floor with venting for the front oil cooler.

anyhow its moving forward.. I wish I could post pictures but every thing I try and post is too big so I have to learn to resize pictures.

Mark Henry
One thing that has changed since you did your last 914 is the flares, there is now quality reproduction steel flares being made.
They are made by AA, but I'm a hater so I personally will never buy from them.

Restoration Design is your best source for repair panels and your steel flares.
RD has changed hands since you last had a 914. It's now a top notch supplier with many parts. Also it's now based out of Canada which is no big deal.
Ordering and shipping is no BS you will have the parts in your hands within days.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/category/914
mb911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 2 2015, 06:41 AM) *

One thing that has changed since you did your last 914 is the flares, there is now quality reproduction steel flares being made.
They are made by AA, but I'm a hater so I personally will never buy from them.

Restoration Design is your best source for repair panels and your steel flares.
RD has changed hands since you last had a 914. It's now a top notch supplier with many parts. Also it's now based out of Canada which is no big deal.
Ordering and shipping is no BS you will have the parts in your hands within days.

http://www.restoration-design.com/store/category/914

and the nice thing is right now their prices are cheaper the advertised. I am guessing because Steel prices are in the toilet along with fuel costs..

I am working some hand made steel flares right now on the english wheel and planishing hammer.. I will see how they turn out.. worst case is I buy them new from RD.
Rav914
Great mufflers Ben! I bought two for 911's I had about 10-11 years ago. Wonderful sound.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 18 2015, 09:16 AM) *

My first project will be 5 bolt conversion

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728
SirAndy
As far as /6 engines go, i'm partial to the 3.6L ...
biggrin.gif
gms
QUOTE(mb911 @ Nov 18 2015, 07:11 AM) *

Thanks

If you need to look at any -6 parts I am just 90 min away
Chris Pincetich
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
shades.gif
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 2 2015, 10:37 AM) *

biggrin.gif

I'm sure you are...any ideas where to get a 3.6, 3.2 or 3.0 without paying an arm and a leg?
I'm beginning to wonder if my 2.7 may be a money pit if I have to do case work.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 2 2015, 12:37 PM) *

biggrin.gif

Problem is, they are becoming unobtanium. I am currently looking for a 3.6 964 motor for my car. When they show up, they are going for over 10K in running condition. Long blocks are going for 7 to 8K.

If anyone knows where I can find a 964 engine, let me know. I have the cash on hand, but I can't find one.

thelogo
have the cash on hand, but I can't find one.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-3-6L-Eng...8344?nav=SEARCH

This is one expensive engine

And doesn't it take like 28 quarts of oil or something

I am assuming this is the max displacement /6 one

Can upgrade to but seems awfully overkill to me

Just to stir the pot stirthepot.gif

Is the 3.6 / conversion

driving-girl.gif performance. icon_bump.gif :

to be considered superior to

A equivalent 911
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 8 2015, 09:29 PM) *

have the cash on hand, but I can't find one.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-3-6L-Eng...8344?nav=SEARCH

This is one expensive engine

And doesn't it take like 28 quarts of oil or something

Can upgrade to but seems awfully overkill to me

Just to stir the pot stirthepot.gif

Is the 3.6 / conversion

driving-girl.gif performance. icon_bump.gif :

to be considered superior to

A equivalent 911

They are WAY too proud of that one. It has been on the market for a year now.

Current price range for a conversion motor is in the 10K range. I have that waiting for the right engine.
mb911
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 8 2015, 09:52 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Problem is, they are becoming unobtanium. I am currently looking for a 3.6 964 motor for my car. When they show up, they are going for over 10K in running condition. Long blocks are going for 7 to 8K.

If anyone knows where I can find a 964 engine, let me know. I have the cash on hand, but I can't find one.

Funny thing is I sold a 964 3 years ago had a lsd g50 and got 19 for the whole car and that was a hard sale.. It was a really nice Car.. Prices are crazy right now..
wndsnd
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 8 2015, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 2 2015, 10:37 AM) *

biggrin.gif

I'm sure you are...any ideas where to get a 3.6, 3.2 or 3.0 without paying an arm and a leg?
I'm beginning to wonder if my 2.7 may be a money pit if I have to do case work.

Yes. I am there now... I resisted the case work and tried just timecerting studs but in the end had to tear it down again to do it right. The casework alone was expensive. Now on heads, thats another mortgage.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 8 2015, 07:29 PM) *

There are 4-liter versions of this motor out there...

--DD
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 9 2015, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 8 2015, 07:29 PM) *

There are 4-liter versions of this motor out there...

--DD

That is what I am going to do with the one I buy... 4.0L. Got the pistons, cylinders and rods for it already.

mb911
here is the diamond in the rough.. Much rustier then it appeared but Not something I can't handle
11tenths
Even your lawn spreader has Fuchs...
914_3.0
Welcome to the madness!! I believe the 3.0 with the original 901 is actually the best combination shades.gif

Here's a nice reference guide for the conversion, if you're interested. Cheers.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914-6_cons...ruction_kit.htm
Mueller
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 9 2015, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 8 2015, 09:52 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Funny thing is I sold a 964 3 years ago had a lsd g50 and got 19 for the whole car and that was a hard sale.. It was a really nice Car.. Prices are crazy right now..

When my 964 got totaled about 4 years ago I go $18K from insurance and could have bought the car back for $5K, I'm sure I could have sold the Fikse wheels and perfect black interior for that amount sad.gif
mb911
I am making progress. I have the outer driver side rocker on and the Jack post and reworking the inner long on driver side .. I am off of work now for the next 2 weeks so hope to get more done.. I am also finishing up my template oil tank and will fan up a working prototype next week.. I have a bunch of updates on my 914-6 oil tank fittings thread..
mb911
Driver side rocker is in.. The floor pan short section is removed.. The chassis stiffener is screwed in place.. Front trunk floor has been cut out and the replacement louvered floor pan has been fabricated.. I have sandblasted the engine lid, shift linkage, heater flappers, brake dust shields, all primed is aviation epoxy primer.. Was able to locate some steel flares, and a 2.4 engine that's will be picking up shortly thanks John and Rusty.. Making progress.. I will post pictures shortly.
jmill
Awesome first.gif

I have parts for at least 2 cars boxed up on the shelves. If you looking for minor parts let me know. Chances are I have doubles and one is yours for the taking. The 6 conversion bits are about all I'm missing.
wndsnd
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 27 2015, 03:32 PM) *

Driver side rocker is in.. The floor pan short section is removed.. The chassis stiffener is screwed in place.. Front trunk floor has been cut out and the replacement louvered floor pan has been fabricated.. I have sandblasted the engine lid, shift linkage, heater flappers, brake dust shields, all primed is aviation epoxy primer.. Was able to locate some steel flares, and a 2.4 engine that's will be picking up shortly thanks John and Rusty.. Making progress.. I will post pictures shortly.

popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.