Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 21 2017, 02:00 PM) *

I think Mikey914 has them available.

I think your right..

Tomorrow I will cmm the crank /rods/ bearings to ensure everything is good for assembly..
porschetub
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 22 2017, 06:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 21 2017, 09:35 AM) *

No hand throttle, then?

--DD

Need to do that yet.. Gotta find the parts..

Real easy to make....man of your skills biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Used and old carb linkage for the ball and socket,so handy for starting and warming your engine up,really like mine.

mb911
Where does it connect too.? I need to see both ends so I can start planning. biggrin.gif
mb911
And here is the shot of cmm checking roundness and diameter.Click to view attachment
tygaboy
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 22 2017, 04:28 PM) *

And here is the shot of cmm checking roundness and diameter.Click to view attachment

Ohhhh... Very nice! wub.gif pray.gif
mb911
Confirmed that everything is round. Need to do plasti gauge to confirm clearance as rods were not torqued..
mb911
I know kind of a waste but powdercoated both sides of the muffler heat shield before installationClick to view attachment
Cairo94507
Looks nice- not a waste in my book.
raynekat
I agree....not a waste.
I went one step further and had mine ceramic coated.
Not sure if that will help keep the rear trunk temps down, but I thought it was worth a try.
Everything looking good.
mb911
Thanks everyone.. It is turning into a decent car.. Though it is a Frankenstein it will still be very nice when done years down the road..

porschetub
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 22 2017, 12:22 PM) *

Where does it connect too.? I need to see both ends so I can start planning. biggrin.gif

Lever handle fits under the shifter in to a locating recess,handle go's up through the front of the shifter base,from memory my lever is the straight type,some are curved and maybe don't work,sorry don't know the year of my one.
Front guide piece for the rod fits in a hole that all 914's have (?),I didn't use a bush in this piece as per original and it works fine ,mines adjusted for 1500rpm.
I can measure all this up if you like as I have the assembly out of the car @ the moment beer.gif .
mb911
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 23 2017, 11:34 AM) *

Lever handle fits under the shifter in to a locating recess,handle go's up through the front of the shifter base,from memory my lever is the straight type,some are curved and maybe don't work,sorry don't know the year of my one.
Front guide piece for the rod fits in a hole that all 914's have (?),I didn't use a bush in this piece as per original and it works fine ,mines adjusted for 1500rpm.
I can measure all this up if you like as I have the assembly out of the car @ the moment beer.gif .

That would be great with a few pictures.. I would appreciate it..
914forme
Ben,

Goes under the shifter base at the front. Now if your using a Rennshifter you will need to modify the base. Wish J-West did this for you.

But this is what I did to my Rennshifter to make the hand throttle work for me.

Click to view attachment

Everything else is looking great, your making nice progress
mb911
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 23 2017, 03:39 PM) *

Ben,

Goes under the shifter base at the front. Now if your using a Rennshifter you will need to modify the base. Wish J-West did this for you.

But this is what I did to my Rennshifter to make the hand throttle work for me.

Click to view attachment

Everything else is looking great, your making nice progress

Ah I get it now... Guess need to find a lever..

Double checked crank vs rods with plasti gauge and though the picture is garbage it is perfect spec..

Click to view attachment
cary
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 23 2017, 09:24 AM) *

I know kind of a waste but powdercoated both sides of the muffler heat shield before installationClick to view attachment

Ben, I don't think its a waste. Most I see are pretty raty and rusty.
Larmo63
I used an original 914-6 bracket, rod, and pedal part (with the flap.)

My lever is 911 and works great. Really handy for cold warm-ups.

Click to view attachment
mb911
Spent a few minutes installing a new section of metal.. Need to fab a few pieces to complete.. Next week though gone the rest of the weekClick to view attachment
mb911
Spent some time finishing rear panel and installing engine mount.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
maf914
The discussion and photos regarding the hand throttle caught my attention. I guess I never really understood how the linkage was supposed to work, until I checked the system offered by 914Rubber.com. Here are the photos from Mark's (mikey914) site.

tygaboy
Little by little, it comes together... welder.gif

Engine mount looks good on that shiny new fire wall!
mb911
Thanks coming along.. Slow progress but as I said welding still will be done primarly in a few weeks.. I think my new plan is to rough in everything, grind so things are close then epoxy prime so that I can better manage the bare metal and where I need to hammer , fill pin holes and reprime after shaping.. I am finding that if I don't do that the project sometimes feels like its not making progress..In reality it is.. Want it capable of being a roller by spring..
porschetub
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 24 2017, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 23 2017, 11:34 AM) *

That would be great with a few pictures.. I would appreciate it..

PM sent, beer.gif
mb911
Thanks for help in the pm.. I am expecting to finish allot over the next 4 days then it will be time to work on the grinding again get it epoxy primed..
drgouk
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 22 2017, 03:28 PM) *

They should'nt be round, A big end bearing is lensed. Oil wedge at the parting face. bearing clearence is checked at the 12 oclock position with a dial bore gauge.
mb911
QUOTE(drgouk @ Oct 5 2017, 04:23 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 22 2017, 03:28 PM) *

They should'nt be round, A big end bearing is lensed. Oil wedge at the parting face. bearing clearence is checked at the 12 oclock position with a dial bore gauge.

I was just for reference
mb911
My 13yo and I went and tacked on 2 flares tonight.. He was mad I didn't let him weld more.. I want to prevent extra work if possible.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
defianty
Nice work, I'm at about the same point in my build now. Getting the first flare on is a great feeling as you can really start to see how the car's going to look once completed.

Great that your son is taking a keen interest - I bet my step-son couldn't even tell me what car it is.
914dave
Looking good! Flares are a big milestone.
mb911
Thanks guys it feels good to not have them flopping around or just cleeco'd on.. Next is to clean up the area I have been working in as winter is coming I actually will have more room. Plus more parts are on the car then off on shelves and leaning against the wall(sheet metal) car is back on revised rotisserie so it is movable. Time to sell the sand blaster I have that I bought to use but end up using the one at work instead.. This will give me more room allow me to epoxy prime this winter..

Also you may note I fit the rocker on and these are my steel gt rocker flares. I actually need to cut and shorten the rocker by about 3/8". The flare arch is about that much wider at both sides of the arch.. I measured I swear a dozen times..
mb911
Last night my son and I spent another 2 hours on it.. My helper was tasked with scraping one the last spots of tar off the original floor. Click to view attachment
JOEPROPER
So now we see how all this progress is being made... Nice work!
mb911
agree.gif when he holds parts/panels in place it goes so much faster. That said he wants to do more and I have to work to find things for him to do.
tygaboy
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 9 2017, 06:13 AM) *

agree.gif when he holds parts/panels in place it goes so much faster. That said he wants to do more and I have to work to find things for him to do.

Ben - Send him out here! Installing my flares is coming up on the to-do list and anyone with experience in that area would be great!

But seriously...

Thanks for sharing that pic. What a great thing: not only building a cool car but, more importantly, building the father-son bond. Just wonderful.
mb911
Chris happy yo share..

Regarding the flares I can share this wisdom with all of you. I had a pretty long conversation with George Hussey on these. He stated the best way to put the flares on is to clamp on to the narrow body arches a piece of steel in 3 locations and this will center the flare in the opening. I found this to be exactly the case. I also found that the gt flare arches are actually wider as I posted before. The flares really only fit on one way. I measured 11-7/8" on both rears at the same peak of the arch to the Gt chassis reinforcement. So proof in the pudding..

It took my son and I 1-1/2 hours to position and tack 2 flares on.. This was with some teaching/explanation along the way too..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 9 2017, 11:21 AM) *

It took my son and I 1-1/2 hours to position and tack 2 flares on.. This was with some teaching/explanation along the way too..

So once he gets good at 914’s, he can start charging $100/hour to fix 911’s.
mb911
Lol yup ..

So today he welded the cross brace in with allot of guidence. Turned out nice..Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Spending this time with him is one of the best things you can do, and teaching him such a valuable skill is wonderful.
mb911
We both enjoy it.. He os already talking about the carpet install.. I think he is getting ahead of himself.
mb911
Well after allot of thought on how to reproduce the look of the factory inner longs as I used 14 gauge that I bent up I decided to reach out to a few that have done this and I came up with a simple buck.. My plan is to plug weld these over the longs.. I know that is how allot would do it as they prefer to hammer it out in the parent material but I cnc bent the longs and they were perfect so this is my answer. Also keep in mind this car won't ever be worth what a real six is or even a rust free original car..

This will be epoxy primed and then seam sealer over that and will be undetectable once completed..

The sample that is in the picture is 1st go at it.. Next week they will be more refined.Click to view attachment
mepstein
I’m almost done that piece of long I’ve promised you forever.

What color are you thinking.
mb911
Oh cool that would save time..

Still thinking black..
mb911
So spent about 6 hours over the last 2 days here and there with my son. He completed plug welding the tunnel repair to the floor pan and I did the hard part of butt welding the new flange to the tunnel.. We then welded the "cowl to pan" area where the cowl base meets the new floor pan area.. It is all secure now and now once again to grind the area and some cold galvanized spray.. Getting very close to being done with the inside of the car.. We also used the rapid strip wheel on the inner firewall.. My son complained about the sparks and dust but he did well .. Now my oldest is showing interest.. Probably a good bonding thing for all of us.. And thank god for grinders for taking care of beginners welding sins of youth..Click to view attachment
mb911
So no progress will happen this weekend but I was able to sand blast some parts this week. Thanks Mark for the suspension parts off the 911.. .. This is the last of the parts that needed to be powdercoated..yeah.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
grouphug.gif farther & son grouphug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 13 2017, 12:04 PM) *

Well after allot of thought on how to reproduce the look of the factory inner longs as I used 14 gauge that I bent up I decided to reach out to a few that have done this and I came up with a simple buck.. My plan is to plug weld these over the longs.. I know that is how allot would do it as they prefer to hammer it out in the parent material but I cnc bent the longs and they were perfect so this is my answer. Also keep in mind this car won't ever be worth what a real six is or even a rust free original car..

This will be epoxy primed and then seam sealer over that and will be undetectable once completed..

The sample that is in the picture is 1st go at it.. Next week they will be more refined.Click to view attachment

I somehow missed this post when it hit the forum. Probably because I was having dinner with the wife for our anniversary. I think this is a great solution. I wish I had built my bucks the way you did. 14 gauge plus these? She should be hell for stout! smilie_pokal.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 22 2017, 12:32 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 13 2017, 12:04 PM) *

I somehow missed this post when it hit the forum. Probably because I was having dinner with the wife for our anniversary. I think this is a great solution. I wish I had built my bucks the way you did. 14 gauge plus these? She should be hell for stout! smilie_pokal.gif

Yes correct.. This will be over the 14gauge that's there already.. I think its a reasonable solution..

mb911
A little engine assembly. Took a break from welding and grinding.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.