Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Dion

blink.gif same thing happened to me Ben at the Northeast gathering.
Luckily the old man reflexes still worked and grabbed my left side trim as it passed by the drivers window! I blamed the aerowash coming off Olympic914 biggrin.gif
He saw it play out. Anyway Travis came to the rescue. He had some 3M tape in his car.
Thankfully it didn’t bend just slid out of the corner caps. Still in place. I regret now not replacing windshield and the factory clips. Another project for another day.
mb911
Did a quick fire extinguisher mount.. wanted to make the car a bit safer.

Click to view attachment
mb911
And a comparison shot of a co-workers truck and mine. Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 20 2022, 01:44 PM) *

And a comparison shot of a co-workers truck and mine. Click to view attachment

Ha ha! I had a similar experience one day at the eye doctor as I opening the door on my car to leave as a guy was climbing out of a lifted version of a truck about that same size next to me. His tires were about as high as my roof line. He gave me a funny look and I said, "Hey look. They are the exact same size!"
ClayPerrine
It is disconcerting when you are driving down the freeway, look to the left and all you see are pointed cones spinning on the center of the semi truck wheel next to you.

Click to view attachment

Kinda looks like a slicer aimed directly at the side of your car!

Clay
worn
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 20 2022, 03:06 PM) *

It is disconcerting when you are driving down the freeway, look to the left and all you see are pointed cones spinning on the center of the semi truck wheel next to you.

Click to view attachment

Kinda looks like a slicer aimed directly at the side of your car!

Clay

Ah, but it is all in fun. Just not your fun…
Click to view attachment
I tend to agree because I want to make it home safe. Good to see you again and glad you made it home.
mb911
928 is running and driving so took a shot of the 3 porsches at the house. Click to view attachment
mb911
Well wrapped up the second year of driving. Going to touch up some spots on the driver side this winter. Figure out the heater controls, reglue the dash basket weave, possibly drop the engine for some oil leak repair. Then possibly EFI Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
That reminds me, I have to get the 3M trim adhesive out and re-glue some of the dash face material too. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 17 2022, 06:33 AM) *

That reminds me, I have to get the 3M trim adhesive out and re-glue some of the dash face material too. beerchug.gif

I am so disappointed with the 3m spray. Weld wood is a better product
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 17 2022, 05:26 PM) *

Weld wood is really good stuff. Use two thin coats on the vinyl. One thin coat on the metal. Let it dry 2x as long as the instructions recommend and place it carefully because once it’s stuck, it’s really stuck. I use a disposable foam brush to spread it around.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 17 2022, 02:38 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 17 2022, 05:26 PM) *

Weld wood is really good stuff. Use two thin coats on the vinyl. One thin coat on the metal. Let it dry 2x as long as the instructions recommend and place it carefully because once it’s stuck, it’s really stuck. I use a disposable foam brush to spread it around.

I will definitely try that.
mb911
Well about update time.

I have 2000 miles on it and am going to pull the engine this winter to address some oil leaks then adjust valves, and then put 911 rear m calipers on with 911 rear ebrakes , hubs, CVs etc. I also will be doing some hybrid EFI using the carbs as TBs and the MFI ports in the heads for the long tip E46 injectors
mb911
Oh and 993 heat exchangers going on.Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment from PMB thanks Eric
mb911
Click to view attachment

Tangerine conversion kits for the e brakes.
troth
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 17 2022, 04:10 PM) *

Oh and 993 heat exchangers going on.

Why use the 993 ones? Bigger tubing? Get more heat in the cabin? Looks like they occupy less space, so maybe help with access for maintenance?
mb911
QUOTE(troth @ Dec 17 2022, 01:22 PM) *

Why use the 993 ones? Bigger tubing? Get more heat in the cabin? Looks like they occupy less space, so maybe help with access for maintenance?

All of the above.
troth
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 17 2022, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(troth @ Dec 17 2022, 01:22 PM) *

All of the above.

Nice, look forward to hearing and seeing how they work out.
mb911
EFI project has started

Also got a care package from Uro. Pretty nice parts. Will be doing an install thread on the main seal. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Ben,

Some pretty cool projects going on!

You'll remember my six had the 993 heater boxes. They worked very well, produced a lot of heat with really good airflow.

I'll be watching the e-brake update. PO did a homemade 911 hat conversion. It's.....okay. Not certain if I'll get the kit or just improve on his design a little.

welder.gif
speed metal army
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 17 2022, 01:10 PM) *

I want pics of this! I actually have a set, it never occurred to me to try em...
NARP74
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Dec 21 2022, 10:59 AM) *

I want pics of this! I actually have a set, it never occurred to me to try em...

Ditto about watching. Mine came with headers no heat and this is on my list to look at. mb911 and Root Werks, love to see pics.
Root_Werks
Only pic I have is from PO, kinda small.

He did the 993 HE's because it was a 1975 914 and needed Cats and pass smog I guess?

I would have kept them, but found a set of stock 914-6 HE's I bought some 10+ years earlier. My 2.7 doesn't need pipes larger than stock 914-6.

mb911
I need to either make some 993 flanges or make some so I can adapt to the stock muffler. I will also sleeve the 1st few inches into the heat exchanger with 1.5 tubing
NARP74
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 21 2022, 11:47 AM) *

Only pic I have is from PO, kinda small.

He did the 993 HE's because it was a 1975 914 and needed Cats and pass smog I guess?

I would have kept them, but found a set of stock 914-6 HE's I bought some 10+ years earlier. My 2.7 doesn't need pipes larger than stock 914-6.

Love to see some more pics if you ever get it on a lift. I have a 3.2 in it. I need to do some research to see what is needed.
mb911
Injector bungs came in. Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin

Watching closely! cheer.gif
mb911
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 24 2022, 08:44 AM) *

Watching closely! cheer.gif

They will be easy peasy
mepstein
Putting a set aside for my next build.
Ben - I have a guy who already makes the flanges in case you need a set.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 20 2022, 08:21 PM) *

I’ve fallen behind on this thread but don’t see the background on these when I go back to old pages. I clearly missed something.

FI rail with CIS style fuel distribution lines? idea.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 24 2022, 11:18 AM) *

I’ve fallen behind on this thread but don’t see the background on these when I go back to old pages. I clearly missed something.

Here is a bit of background but no not cis this is multi point EFI using the carbs as throttle bodies. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...14-mfi-efi.html
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 24 2022, 10:36 AM) *

Putting a set aside for my next build.
Ben - I have a guy who already makes the flanges in case you need a set.

Good to know
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 24 2022, 02:41 PM) *

Here is a bit of background but no not cis this is multi point EFI using the carbs as throttle bodies. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...14-mfi-efi.html

Very interesting. Makes me glad I didn’t weld up the CIS ports on my 2.4l heads.

I’ll be watching with envy!
bahnzai
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 17 2022, 04:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Hey Ben, were there any specific measurements you used in laying out/welding these components on? I have the same kit and need to install, so any insights are greatly appreciated !!
Thanks!

Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Dec 26 2022, 05:54 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 17 2022, 04:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Hey Ben, were there any specific measurements you used in laying out/welding these components on? I have the same kit and need to install, so any insights are greatly appreciated !!
Thanks!

Click to view attachment

Danny,

Chris provided instructions in the kit. I will look probably still have them. Shoot me a text and I will send you them.
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 25 2022, 10:29 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 24 2022, 02:41 PM) *

Very interesting. Makes me glad I didn’t weld up the CIS ports on my 2.4l heads.

I’ll be watching with envy!

Just to clarify I have MFI heads so it is easier. I don’t think this will be super easy to tune as I have not used mega squirt in about 8 years and forgot as much as a learned. I will be leaning on the 928 while this car is down and me figuring everything out.
troth
Hey Ben, saw your WTB on pelican for 911 CV joints. I just disassembled and cleaned a used set I found in my spares the other day. You could probably put together one good pair from the whole set. Send me a pm if you don't come up with anything on pelican.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 26 2022, 09:45 AM) *

Just to clarify I have MFI heads so it is easier.

So do I - happy11.gif

73.5’ 2.4L CIS where they just stuck the CIS injector cups into the MFI heads. The only difference being the CIS cups were press fit instead of threaded like MFI. I ended up tapping the ports for plugs.

I wanted PMO throttle bodies and EFI but budget/inflation/life chaos with no shop at the moment have it on hold. This could be a really sweet way to go. I had assumed injectors right in head would get too hot, wouldn’t atomize well, and or would be hard to tune. It seems the guy on Pelican has blazed a trail.

I really dig the look of the CIS style lines. Have a set of Zenith’s. If it all works out for you this very well could be the way I go. Thanks for leading the way!

PS - who supplied the lines - I see Autowerks sticker but can’t find them online?
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 26 2022, 09:16 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 26 2022, 09:45 AM) *

Just to clarify I have MFI heads so it is easier.

So do I - happy11.gif

73.5’ 2.4L CIS where they just stuck the CIS injector cups into the MFI heads. The only difference being the CIS cups were press fit instead of threaded like MFI. I ended up tapping the ports for plugs.

I wanted PMO throttle bodies and EFI but budget/inflation/life chaos with no shop at the moment have it on hold. This could be a really sweet way to go. I had assumed injectors right in head would get too hot, wouldn’t atomize well, and or would be hard to tune. It seems the guy on Pelican has blazed a trail.

I really dig the look of the CIS style lines. Have a set of Zenith’s. If it all works out for you this very well could be the way I go. Thanks for leading the way!

PS - who supplied the lines - I see Autowerks sticker but can’t find them online?

@jpnovak supplies the fittings. Email me and I will give you his information
mb911
Today I got to spend 4 hours on my stuff today. Really happy about that. Anyway I finally was able to get the stock steel 911 air filter on my car. Some of you may know how much I hate k&n air filters and this allows me to go back to something a little nicer and something that filters nicely
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
In addition to the greatly improved filtration, the stock air cleaner housing really cuts down noise. A win-win. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 30 2022, 06:07 AM) *

In addition to the greatly improved filtration, the stock air cleaner housing really cuts down noise. A win-win. beerchug.gif

That does make me happy as well
porschetub
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 31 2022, 02:07 AM) *

agree.gif thats why I ditched my K&N's,think it was the late Bruce Anderson mentioned the stock air cleaner is very efficient.
Click to view attachment.
mb911
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 31 2022, 10:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 31 2022, 02:07 AM) *

agree.gif thats why I ditched my K&N's,think it was the late Bruce Anderson mentioned the stock air cleaner is very efficient.
Click to view attachment.

Someone mentioned they were restricting but I don’t buy it. Just like Porsche exhaust of that period was very well engineered so was the intake
mepstein
K&N has always pushed the 15-20 horsepower bump if you use their filters. I think they still do.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 2 2023, 05:50 PM) *

K&N has always pushed the 15-20 horsepower bump if you use their filters. I think they still do.

Lol right. Best marketing in the world
gereed75
Yo Ben, where did you get the injectors for Jamie's adaptors??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.