Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 21 2017, 11:23 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 21 2017, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jun 21 2017, 12:09 PM) *

smash.gif welder.gif beer.gif

He's waiting on a piece from me sawzall-smiley.gif

...and on a chunk of floor from me, too. It shipped yesterday! cheer.gif

The best part is we just got a really nice pressure fed sand blast cabinet at work that I can blast it and make it really nice before install.
mb911
Pmb restored calipers came in the mail today.. So now just a few little brake parts to finish up.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 22 2017, 04:33 PM) *

Pmb restored calipers came in the mail today.. So now just a few little brake parts to finish up.

What size calipers?
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 22 2017, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 22 2017, 04:33 PM) *

What size calipers?

Front are A's rear stock.. Was Eric's suggestions.
mb911
Not much to report but finally have all of the engine parts back less cams. I may wait until winter to assemble that as still grinding amd welding amd don't want them to intertwine.
mb911
Spent some time today and welded in the firewall patch areas and prepped amd painted and ready for rear firewall. Decided I am going to leave the top half installed and sister up to the new firewall and plug weld to each other this will give the chassis a bit more strength.. Click to view attachment
mb911
And 1 half of the rear firewall onClick to view attachment
mb911
So no updates just been working on my dd as I am off a few weeks from work was able to change cam and lifters in that as it is dod or displacement on demand and the lifters are worn out.. Click to view attachment

I did buy a new used set of cam towers from Henry @supertec so I can assemble the heads and get the engine back together as I need it for fixturing for some new exhaust..

Also testing the new -6 muffler is showing great promise.. Sound levels are perfect..
GeorgeRud
Looks like you're not sitting around bored! It's always more fun to work on the Porsche than have to deal with a daily driver.
mb911
Thats for sure.
mb911
Click to view attachment

Made progress today. Click to view attachment
mb911
So finally done with the flood damage repair, cam and lifter change out in my suburban, going on our honeymoon after being married for 18 years I am back at it it.. I fit the floor pan section in from chris.. I cut a bit too far in the wheel well but I can fix that easy enough.. Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Ben - It's really coming along! The floor looks great... cheer.gif But man, that's a big ol' chunk of the car you cut out to fit it. Glad to see the car I parted is going to such good use.
Chris
mb911
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 21 2017, 11:43 AM) *

Ben - It's really coming along! The floor looks great... cheer.gif But man, that's a big ol' chunk of the car you cut out to fit it. Glad to see the car I parted is going to such good use.
Chris

Thats for sure its good that I have it braced pretty well..
GeorgeRud
Looks great! Please keep posting pics of your progress.
mb911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 21 2017, 01:49 PM) *

Looks great! Please keep posting pics of your progress.

Will do as I make progress.. I think my next project is to make a copy of your mid rise lift..
mb911
Well its tacked in.. Pretty happy with the fit. Going be really nice once welded and ground and blended. Thanks again Chris for the huge help.. Even if I would have bought a front floor pan from RD it would have not come with the metal I needed.. So i saved about 1/4 of the orginal floor pan.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mb911
And now its completly welded in.. Now to grind and blendClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif popcorn[1].gif
tygaboy
piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif cheer.gif

Looking really nice, Ben!
mb911
Thanks guys the grinding started last night..i might do that some more tonight but if I take my time the results are better so slow as I go..
mb911
Taking the grinding really slow as if you rush it the seem will be noticable .. 1st step is to take the high spots off the weld with a 4.5 " grinder. Once thats done I use a die grinder with an abrasive wheel to further knock it down.. Next step is a blending disc and then check for any pinholes..

Once this is done only have half the firewall to weld on and the jack points and then done underneath the car.. Click to view attachment
mb911
And now other firewall half in along with tge chassis reinforcement plates.. I think welding will be wrapped up by the start of winter..Click to view attachment
mb911
A little more progress.. The triangle jack plates are tacked on.. Once welded going to have a bunch of grinding to do..Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Are you going to install the GT stiffening panels in back as well? How about the inner longitudinal panel stiffening braces? With enough power, they might come in handy!
mb911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 4 2017, 05:39 PM) *

Are you going to install the GT stiffening panels in back as well? How about the inner longitudinal panel stiffening braces? With enough power, they might come in handy!

Yes actually both already installed. I have one other reinforcement to make that I see Eric shae does and I will do the same.
whitetwinturbo
pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
mb911
Grinding will begin tomorrow..
mb911
Took a little break from welding and grinding and put 1 head set together. I prefer to preassemble the whole assembly vs how waynes book suggests.. Click to view attachment
mb911
I need to now source the "freeze" plugs for the cam towers..

Going to finish welding frunk floor in with the louvers this week then put back on jack stands so i can do the trunk floor.
mb911
The other head set. 1st time I have used three bond but like it so far. Henry says it works great. Pictures of supertecs head refurb. These were done months ago and just finally getting them together.

Then attached is a picture of what I think I am going to go with.. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mepstein
I was thinking of shipping merging similar for my suby build. But I have to do it on the cheap so it will probably be a vinyl wrap.
mb911
Thats very nice as well. For me its either some variation of red or black. Leaning towards black and I know I will have a ton of body work but I painted this car in my garage.Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Ben - killer paint job you did! If you want to practice paint a 914, I'll volunteer my car. happy11.gif
And you can't go wrong with black. It was always one of my favorites on a flared car.
mepstein
First 914 I ever saw was a stock mid year car in black. Parked next door while my neighbors were having a party. Early 70's but I remember like yesterday. Ironic since I can barely remember yesterday.
mb911
Spent a couple hours this morning and welded the rest of the front trunk floor and then ground. Now to find pin holes and hammer out a few spots. I will wait until car is upside right to finish that.. Next week.Click to view attachment
mb911
Rear trunk work has started..Click to view attachment
mb911
And out with the old.Click to view attachment
mepstein
Go Ben go!
mb911
Thanks making headway.. Still thinking 90 of welding will be done in the next few weeks..
mb911
Took some time to redo rotisserie a bit.. Make it a bit more stable.. Click to view attachment
mb911
I should note this was a student fab project.
mb911
Latest batch from platers.. I am sure I will have fun sorting.Click to view attachment
mb911
And a quick assembly of the pedal cluster freshly powdercoated and replated. It was really rough to start so looks pretty good now.Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 19 2017, 03:05 PM) *

Latest batch from platers.. I am sure I will have fun sorting.Click to view attachment

Those do look nice! The level of restorations are amazing these days!
mb911
George the funny thing is this car doesn't deserve that level of restoration but its getting it because its fun.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 20 2017, 06:23 AM) *

And a quick assembly of the pedal cluster freshly powdercoated and replated. It was really rough to start so looks pretty good now.Click to view attachment

Following your thread and you are doing great work! The pedal cluster looks fantastic! and your metal work skills are impressive pray.gif
Dave_Darling
No hand throttle, then?

--DD
mb911
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 21 2017, 09:35 AM) *

No hand throttle, then?

--DD

Need to do that yet.. Gotta find the parts..
GeorgeRud
I think Mikey914 has them available.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.