Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
Freezin 914
The boat is very nice, but that teener is just so nice!!

Nice job on the exchangers! Looking pretty killer!
BillJ
Ben your car is beautiful for sure.

That wrinkle on the truck looks nasty though.
mb911
QUOTE(BillJ @ May 8 2023, 03:20 PM) *

Ben your car is beautiful for sure.

That wrinkle on the truck looks nasty though.

Thanks unfortunately the frame is bent
porschetub
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ May 9 2023, 11:34 AM) *

agree.gif pity the trucks not the same sad.gif not a cheap repair,sorry to see that and hope the insurance will sort it with least hassle dry.gif .
Oh and must say the clean look under the car is amazing ,cheers.
mb911
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 8 2023, 03:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ May 9 2023, 11:34 AM) *

agree.gif pity the trucks not the same sad.gif not a cheap repair,sorry to see that and hope the insurance will sort it with least hassle dry.gif .
Oh and must say the clean look under the car is amazing ,cheers.

My guess is truck is toast. Thanks on the car. I try. Fixed some oil leaks. Upgraded axles, halfway through EFI conversion.
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 8 2023, 02:27 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Looks great! You will have to let us know how it compares to your 1 5/8" heat exchangers. Same or better heat? More power, same power?
I bought a 1995 3.6 complete engine with heat exchangers. I will hang on to them if they are better than the previous 1 5/8" heat exchangers you made for my 3.2.
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ May 9 2023, 06:07 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 8 2023, 02:27 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Looks great! You will have to let us know how it compares to your 1 5/8" heat exchangers. Same or better heat? More power, same power?
I bought a 1995 3.6 complete engine with heat exchangers. I will hang on to them if they are better than the previous 1 5/8" heat exchangers you made for my 3.2.

I need to drive it first to determine but I think it will be great. Different sound as well which is interesting
mb911
New truck after getting rear ended so 914 has just sat. UghClick to view attachment
mb911
Oops try that againClick to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 22 2023, 01:45 PM) *

How many toys is one man allowed?
mb911
QUOTE(930cabman @ May 22 2023, 11:57 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 22 2023, 01:45 PM) *

How many toys is one man allowed?

Interesting enough the boat was my wife’s idea and I can only buy black trucks also according to my wife lol.
mb911
Just another summer almost completed. I drive it a couple times a week but in the back of my mind I keep thinking what if I sold it and bought an early 2000s 911? Here is the question. What is a fair price for my car? I am thinking no hassle easy sale price?
BillJ
Isnt it already listed on your site for.a cool hondo?

Everything is so clean and nice on the car. I know it has some history that would impact the price for many i am not sure given all the work done that it makes that big a difference for whomever wants the car. 2.4 ltr is a nice mild mild upgrade and much peppier than the 2.0 liter of course. Given it is a conversion and not a real 6 i think you could list it for 65 and sell in a week tops.
mb911
QUOTE(BillJ @ Aug 26 2023, 12:14 PM) *

Isnt it already listed on your site for.a cool hondo?

Everything is so clean and nice on the car. I know it has some history that would impact the price for many i am not sure given all the work done that it makes that big a difference for whomever wants the car. 2.4 ltr is a nice mild mild upgrade and much peppier than the 2.0 liter of course. Given it is a conversion and not a real 6 i think you could list it for 65 and sell in a week tops.

65 I would sell it right now. I am not sure it’s worth that much maybe? Yea is listed on my site for 100k but that is straight up fishing.
BillJ
It is in the best color and is very tidy. I think you could get that and maybe even more on BAT. I will say the market has softened a litte though.

If you do a buy it now for 25k i am all in right now cash delivered today. Not a joke
BillJ
Oh and pre-arrange an agreement with George to keep his opinions to himself
mb911
I need to really think on this. I think I want a 911 again but if I sell the 914 that’s it likely won’t have another. Our goal is to move to a lake house at some point
targa72e
OK, I have a number of opinions: all mine:)

The market for 914's in general an 914-6 conversion seams to have softened quite a bit recently.
Look at BAT sales to get a idea of top dollar. I think 60k is high.
I own a 996 turbo and of all my cars it would be the first to go, Why.?
I think I could sell it and if regretted buy back similar car at similar price. Porsche Made a ton of this model so plenty to chose from and they are still relatively new.
two:
It has so much power and capability slogging thru city traffic sucks. Also when out of town on perfect fun road using car way below its ultimate capability is still right in the go directly to jail speed.
Along the same lines I ordered a 2021 BMW M2 Competition for my daily driver because I have had BMW's as my daily driver for years and It looked like it might be one of the last manual cars I could buy. While I liked the car I hated driving it a a daily driver. Sold it after 1 year of owning. Also was out of town having fun and going go directly to jail speeds and got pulled over, got off very easy could have been bad.
I also think the 996 car in general feel to generic to me, kind of like a 944 turbos I previously owned. Could be any German car of that generation.
On the flip side they are modern cars with AC and heat, Fuel injection and most importantly cup holders. Can use any time any place, just might not be that fun.
That said if its not to hot or cold I find myself picking the 914 to drive.
To your point the number of nice old cars is limited. Not sure if you sold your today you could buy back similar car at a later date.
Also selfishly really like having you and your products in the community.

john

john
mb911
QUOTE(targa72e @ Aug 26 2023, 08:29 PM) *

OK, I have a number of opinions: all mine:)

The market for 914's in general an 914-6 conversion seams to have softened quite a bit recently.
Look at BAT sales to get a idea of top dollar. I think 60k is high.
I own a 996 turbo and of all my cars it would be the first to go, Why.?
I think I could sell it and if regretted buy back similar car at similar price. Porsche Made a ton of this model so plenty to chose from and they are still relatively new.
two:
It has so much power and capability slogging thru city traffic sucks. Also when out of town on perfect fun road using car way below its ultimate capability is still right in the go directly to jail speed.
Along the same lines I ordered a 2021 BMW M2 Competition for my daily driver because I have had BMW's as my daily driver for years and It looked like it might be one of the last manual cars I could buy. While I liked the car I hated driving it a a daily driver. Sold it after 1 year of owning. Also was out of town having fun and going go directly to jail speeds and got pulled over, got off very easy could have been bad.
I also think the 996 car in general feel to generic to me, kind of like a 944 turbos I previously owned. Could be any German car of that generation.
On the flip side they are modern cars with AC and heat, Fuel injection and most importantly cup holders. Can use any time any place, just might not be that fun.
That said if its not to hot or cold I find myself picking the 914 to drive.
To your point the number of nice old cars is limited. Not sure if you sold your today you could buy back similar car at a later date.
Also selfishly really like having you and your products in the community.

john

john

Good points. It definitely is a soul searching experience
BillJ
You would regret selling it and if it meant you stopped sharing your awesome wares then i vote no sell. Actually not joking this time biggrin.gif

Looking back over the last year for similar cars you might be looking more like at $50k in reality on BAT. I may have been overzealous for you. The combo you have may be the best street combo for looks and not being too crazy fast. A real sweet spot.
Justinp71
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 26 2023, 11:52 AM) *

Just another summer almost completed. I drive it a couple times a week but in the back of my mind I keep thinking what if I sold it and bought an early 2000s 911? Here is the question. What is a fair price for my car? I am thinking no hassle easy sale price?

Why not have both? I use my 996 for driving to the office in the heat and picking up the kids from school. 914 is the fun car to work on and take to car shows... I also am hoping to do some old car rallies with it. The 914 has a lot of your blood sweat and tears in it so, it means more to you. Also the 996 is wet sump motor, so need oiling upgrades if you are doing any good driving with it.

mb911
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 28 2023, 01:00 PM) *

Why not have both? I use my 996 for driving to the office in the heat and picking up the kids from school. 914 is the fun car to work on and take to car shows... I also am hoping to do some old car rallies with it. The 914 has a lot of your blood sweat and tears in it so, it means more to you. Also the 996 is wet sump motor, so need oiling upgrades if you are doing any good driving with it.

Single income family really limits the amount of vehicles I can have plus 5 kids though 3 are adults but doesn’t mean I don’t get to help with all kinds of things.

But I do understand exactly what your saying
burton73
QUOTE(BillJ @ Aug 26 2023, 01:54 PM) *

Oh and pre-arrange an agreement with George to keep his opinions to himself

Sorry but this is very funny.

Bob B

agree.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(BillJ @ Aug 28 2023, 12:28 AM) *

You would regret selling it and if it meant you stopped sharing your awesome wares then i vote no sell. Actually not joking this time biggrin.gif

Looking back over the last year for similar cars you might be looking more like at $50k in reality on BAT. I may have been overzealous for you. The combo you have may be the best street combo for looks and not being too crazy fast. A real sweet spot.

agree.gif the level of the resto and the conversion is about the best you will find IMO ,think Bill is right about 50k as this is such a sorted car ,appears nothing needed and most buyers will like that ,very nice car and well above some conversions on sale and one of the best cars on here.
GLWS Ben.
nditiz1
I honestly don't think 60k is out of the question here.

I sold mine earlier this year for 30k. It didn't have as nice paint. It had a hole in the frunk from the AC being in it, it had rust holes in the tear trunk. Rusty passenger side tail corner. The fiberglass flares were starting to pull away from the body. Shifty suspension console and floor pan repair. The dash was cracked. The only thing mine had going for it was a 2.4 PMO powered engine, a bunch of Ben's parts, 5 lug conversion on 15x8 Fuchs, and it was a driver.
Justinp71

Fyi, that blue one that just sold for $45k on BAT was in canada with no title, one sold in march for $65k and it had weird rear fenders. I think $60-70k is obtainable depending on motor specs.
Justinp71
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 28 2023, 02:19 PM) *

Single income family really limits the amount of vehicles I can have plus 5 kids though 3 are adults but doesn’t mean I don’t get to help with all kinds of things.

Oh I see, I recently got a 996.2 C2 with upgraded suspension and the 3.2 914. The 914 is more fun to drive, better balance, but the 996 can be like a daily driver you can run your errands with it and lock it up in the walmart parking lot. I do think a 996/997 is a bucket list car to own for a year or so to get the experience. I would not sell my 914 for it though, unless you are completely ready to move on. Last car I built that I sold I regretted if for about 7 years until I found something else that I was really excited about, then you kind of move on...

Also a side note a 996 can be super needy now they are 20 years old, not sure how much you know about those cars...

totle
Are you pleased with the 993 headers?
Any reason to choose 993 headers over the GT ones?

In the process og sourcing what headers to use
mb911
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 28 2023, 09:05 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 28 2023, 02:19 PM) *

Oh I see, I recently got a 996.2 C2 with upgraded suspension and the 3.2 914. The 914 is more fun to drive, better balance, but the 996 can be like a daily driver you can run your errands with it and lock it up in the walmart parking lot. I do think a 996/997 is a bucket list car to own for a year or so to get the experience. I would not sell my 914 for it though, unless you are completely ready to move on. Last car I built that I sold I regretted if for about 7 years until I found something else that I was really excited about, then you kind of move on...

Also a side note a 996 can be super needy now they are 20 years old, not sure how much you know about those cars...

I know little about the 996s but willing to learn. Probably won’t do anything for now. It just becomes overwhelming with my sons having 944s and their daily drivers then the 914, a boat, and everything else.

mb911
QUOTE(totle @ Aug 29 2023, 05:17 AM) *

Are you pleased with the 993 headers?
Any reason to choose 993 headers over the GT ones?

In the process og sourcing what headers to use

If you read through my thread you will see I have had several different setups on. The 993 heat exchangers are high quality and in expensive enough that they make a great choice.

Depending on what you’re building it’s really hard to beat the stock heat exchangers.
worn
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 22 2023, 12:45 PM) *

My son had a GMC Sierra. One day we were wondering if the bed was really supposed to be pushing at the cab. Maybe a look underneath. The truck was folding itself in half from its own weight! He spent a couple of winters driving it in Superior.
flyer86d
Ben, keep the 914 for gods sake and find a good 986 Boxster. I had one for 12 years before selling it to my son early this year. I actually prefer them to the 996. Great car and an outstanding value for the money and plenty fast even with the base 2.5 that I had. They ride well, the handling is outstanding, and they have proper heat and AC.

Charlie

Justinp71
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Aug 30 2023, 05:47 AM) *

Ben, keep the 914 for gods sake and find a good 986 Boxster. I had one for 12 years before selling it to my son early this year. I actually prefer them to the 996. Great car and an outstanding value for the money and plenty fast even with the base 2.5 that I had. They ride well, the handling is outstanding, and they have proper heat and AC.

Charlie

Or help one of your kids upgrade from a 944 to a Boxster then you can drive it some? Just pick your favorite smile.gif

The 911 has the looks and cab space, also comes in 4wd. The 911 and Boxster S I believe are similar in 0-60. Boxster obviously better balance, they are a really good deal.
mb911
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 30 2023, 04:06 PM) *

QUOTE(flyer86d @ Aug 30 2023, 05:47 AM) *

Charlie

Or help one of your kids upgrade from a 944 to a Boxster then you can drive it some? Just pick your favorite smile.gif

The 911 has the looks and cab space, also comes in 4wd. The 911 and Boxster S I believe are similar in 0-60. Boxster obviously better balance, they are a really good deal.

That may be an option.

I kind of miss my 964 and 911 turbo sometimes
Gint
Beautiful build. I'd keep it. I would think this car could pull as much as $50k without too much trouble, even on BAT.

5 years ago I bought a 2000 Boxster S for $13k - Hard to beat it for the money. They are like modern 914s, but with air conditioning and cruise control. They are really good road trip cars.

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 15 2022, 09:39 AM) *
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 15 2022, 05:32 AM) *
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 13 2022, 05:04 PM) *
My sons talked me into putting center caps today. Thoughts?
The point on the bottom of the crest should point to the valve stem.
Oh jeez that completely slipped my mind. I will fix that.

LOL
mb911
Well to continue on with my EFI project but first to fix the foam rust problem. Click to view attachment
mepstein
I hate that foam. I think I'm going to chem dip my 914 chassis and get rid of every bit of it.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 4 2023, 08:51 AM) *

I hate that foam. I think I'm going to chem dip my 914 chassis and get rid of every bit of it.

I would be on the same page but to far down the rabbit hole on this one.
mb911
Side tracked again. Wanting to get the EFI plumbing done so I can check if to ensure it’s sealed up before the bitter cold sets in and can’t have the doors open.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
My conversion car is now owned by a doctor with several newer 911s, and says the conversion -6 is the most fun of all. I miss it daily but couldn’t just let it sit in the garage unused. All depends how much time you have to enjoy yours.
mb911
I really enjoy this car. I absolutely hate carbs and the way the car runs so different with changes in temp and humidity. Fuel injection will be really nice to deal with
mb911
EFI wiring is doneClick to view attachment
mb911
Some garage artClick to view attachment
mate914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 3 2023, 12:35 PM) *

EFI wiring is doneClick to view attachment

@mb911 Ben, I am inspired by your fuel injection using weber carbs. Could you please share the fuel injection parts list and custom fabricated parts. I have a good set of Zenith and want to do something similar.

Thanks, Matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.