Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
mb911
Matt here is a quick spreadsheet . You do need MFI heads for a similar setup to what I have or drill your heads like thisClick to view attachment
mb911
@jpnovak is whom you source most of the parts from over on pelican and I think here as well
Superhawk996
Is there any sort of retention feature to hold the injector into the MFI port adapters?
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 9 2023, 10:52 AM) *

Is there any sort of retention feature to hold the injector into the MFI port adapters?

Just the o rings on the injector . Jamie has assured me that will work just fit. They fit in very snug
jd74914
That scares me a little. I said that once on a converted bike motor and had an engine fire shorty thereafter. Please keep an eye on them.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Dec 11 2023, 10:22 AM) *

That scares me a little. I said that once on a converted bike motor and had an engine fire shorty thereafter. Please keep an eye on them.

agree.gif Scares me a lot. Done too many Design Failure Mode Analysis (DFMEA) as my day job.

Although it may be snug now, seals age, shrink, and harden.

Backfire potential can put significant pressure behind them to push them out. Yeah agree that intake vacuum is normally sucking them in. Also agree you shouldn’t get backfire with EFI . . . . But real world is different

Vibration is always a concern - 6000 rpm has a way of doing funky things.

Thermal expansion of the MFI adapters when hot will lessen the snugness as will the seals themselves as they heat up and become more pliable.

I love this EFI concept; gotta be a way to do a positive retention. Maybe off carb manifold or even off valve covers?

Your car is too beautiful to lose it to an engine fire.
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 11 2023, 08:15 AM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Dec 11 2023, 10:22 AM) *

agree.gif Scares me a lot. Done too many Design Failure Mode Analysis (DFMEA) as my day job.

Although it may be snug now, seals age, shrink, and harden.

Backfire potential can put significant pressure behind them to push them out. Yeah agree that intake vacuum is normally sucking them in. Also agree you shouldn’t get backfire with EFI . . . . But real world is different

Vibration is always a concern - 6000 rpm has a way of doing funky things.

Thermal expansion of the MFI adapters when hot will lessen the snugness as will the seals themselves as they heat up and become more pliable.

I love this EFI concept; gotta be a way to do a positive retention. Maybe off carb manifold or even off valve covers?

Your car is too beautiful to lose it to an engine fire.

So remember these are long tip BMW injectors that fit snug into the MFI adapters. The injectors are about 3/4” longer than the o ring interface. Also I ran these in the heads all summer while using carbs as a test if you will for exactly as you suggest.

I can look at something to retain them for sure
mb911
I added a relay to the system. I felt the fuse block was powering to many things to pull off of the ignition switch even though it was all 3 and 5 amp fuses. I did the best I could to keep that area clean with wiring but lots to fit in a small space. Also got a a cool new toy. Click to view attachment
mb911
Also had some stickers made for my customers.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mb911
New exhaust very impressed and excited to try it.Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
Sport/Rowdy....nice!
mb911
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jan 18 2024, 01:31 PM) *

Sport/Rowdy....nice!

Yup gotta wire it up this weekend
Justinp71
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 21 2023, 06:28 PM) *

My conversion car is now owned by a doctor with several newer 911s, and says the conversion -6 is the most fun of all. I miss it daily but couldn’t just let it sit in the garage unused. All depends how much time you have to enjoy yours.

I could see that, my 914-6 is far more fun than my 996. Even though the 996 is quite fun to drive itself.
mb911
Well got the dash cleaned up now. Pretty happy with the final look. Probably need to source a better knee pad soon though.Click to view attachment
mepstein
What’s wrong with yours? I should have a good one. I just want to make sure it’s an upgrade for you. @mb911

Left side ignition. Back dated steering column, triple gauge & 10k dash with silver dot, thick grip wheel with hockey puck horn button - That’s a lot of GT goodness going on. beerchug.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 14 2024, 11:30 AM) *

Well got the dash cleaned up now. Pretty happy with the final look. Probably need to source a better knee pad soon though.Click to view attachment

Was there a trick to getting all those wires into the gauges? I'm looking for any tips/tricks on the hundred wires back there.
mb911
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 14 2024, 11:36 AM) *

Was there a trick to getting all those wires into the gauges? I'm looking for any tips/tricks on the hundred wires back there.

I did a few extensions but overall pretty straightforward
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 14 2024, 11:33 AM) *

What’s wrong with yours? I should have a good one. I just want to make sure it’s an upgrade for you. @mb911

Left side ignition. Back dated steering column, triple gauge & 10k dash with silver dot, thick grip wheel with hockey puck horn button - That’s a lot of GT goodness going on. beerchug.gif

Mark, under the column it is pretty wavey. It always has been. Amazing thing is still a factory dash pad.
mb911
@mepstein thanks for the tach core as well.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 14 2024, 04:14 PM) *

Mark, under the column it is pretty wavey. It always has been. Amazing thing is still a factory dash pad.

I know I have one. I’ll check it out when I get home and send it over if it looks good. I’m pretty sure it will.

I remember my first year at Hershey I couldn’t give away a nice lower dash pad, so now, 14 years later, maybe I can.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 14 2024, 01:01 PM) *

I know I have one. I’ll check it out when I get home and send it over if it looks good. I’m pretty sure it will.

I remember my first year at Hershey I couldn’t give away a nice lower dash pad, so now, 14 years later, maybe I can.

lol well let me know. I am missing on of the blind nuts for that as well that slides in the dash. Let me know if you have one as well
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 14 2024, 08:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 14 2024, 01:01 PM) *

lol well let me know. I am missing on of the blind nuts for that as well that slides in the dash. Let me know if you have one as well

I don’t. I probably ( mistakenly) left them on a parts car I just got rid of.
mb911
Rory pointed out I probably have a spare one in the one spare door I have.
Justinp71

Take it out like a real GT!

Problem is you need to perlon the entire dash like I did.

Click to view attachment
Justinp71

https://pbase.com/9146gt/image/113081244

mb911
Well back at it. Fixed a spot from a fallen wrench off the lift onto the 1/4 thank goodness it’s the same 1/4 I had to section from that pesky foam.Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.