Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

69 Pages V « < 36 37 38 39 40 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 conversion/ rusturation GT style, EFI is back on
mb911
post Dec 19 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #741

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Anyone spot my spare tire/fuel pump mount?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 19 2018, 05:48 PM
Post #742

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 18 2018, 05:14 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 18 2018, 03:50 PM) *

Funny thing is everyone that I just have this urge to clean the shop.. More so then anything..

Make the wife happy. I spent a good part of my day wearing a respirator, face shield and leather gloves. Much easier to do this now that it’s cool outside.

Do I spy with my little eye a BMW motorcycle?

Ben - this thread has been, literally, epic. In a good way.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 19 2018, 06:26 PM
Post #743

914 Guru

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 19 2018, 03:48 PM) *

Funny thing is everyone that I just have this urge to clean the shop.. More so then anything..

Make the wife happy. I spent a good part of my day wearing a respirator, face shield and leather gloves. Much easier to do this now that it’s cool outside.

You might be seeing Marks in the picture he posted of his garage.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 19 2018, 06:45 PM
Post #744

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 19 2018, 07:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 19 2018, 03:48 PM) *

You might be seeing Marks in the picture he posted of his garage.

Yea, it was my hyjack.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 19 2018, 06:56 PM
Post #745

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Yes I spied a mount, car is looking good, a project mile stone.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 20 2018, 07:32 AM
Post #746

Advanced Member

Ben - any lessons learned to pass along based on all of the work so far?
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Dec 20 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #747

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm leaning towards using that sound deadener in my interior (since I stripped the floor tar to check for rust...none found!, and took out he engine bay pad).

How did you like working with the product you used? Any tips for rollers to use etc?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 20 2018, 08:51 AM
Post #748

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 20 2018, 07:40 AM) *

I'm leaning towards using that sound deadener in my interior (since I stripped the floor tar to check for rust...none found!, and took out he engine bay pad).

How did you like working with the product you used? Any tips for rollers to use etc?

I used the thicker version of that same Noico deadener and it is very easy to work with. You can cut it with scissors and it it is very pliable to form into all the crevices etc. You can buy a good metal roller on Amazon for about $10. Noico has their own that looks like a good design. I made the mistake of not buying one because I figured I could pick up one of those wooden wallpaper seam rollers locally. I learned that I'm old and those seam rollers are not cheap Chinese plastic. It worked but the roller edge is sharp so you have to be careful or it will cut through the foil on the deadener. They are also flimsy so I broke the first one toward the end of he install and had to buy another. Better to order a good roller when you order the deadener. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 20 2018, 09:48 AM
Post #749

914 Guru

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 20 2018, 06:51 AM) *

I used the thicker version of that same Noico deadener and it is very easy to work with. You can cut it with scissors and it it is very pliable to form into all the crevices etc. You can buy a good metal roller on Amazon for about $10. Noico has their own that looks like a good design. I made the mistake of not buying one because I figured I could pick up one of those wooden wallpaper seam rollers locally. I learned that I'm old and those seam rollers are not cheap Chinese plastic. It worked but the roller edge is sharp so you have to be careful or it will cut through the foil on the deadener. They are also flimsy so I broke the first one toward the end of he install and had to buy another. Better to order a good roller when you order the deadener. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I actually used the rubber/foam block sanding block for mine..

And @tdskip here are a few thoughts.

I feel that I am good with allot of different aspects of restoration of cars but by no means an expert in all areas

I can paint fairly well
Build engines as I did that in a former life
Fab and weld (my profession)

That said the car I fixed would have been scrapped by 99% of the folks on this board.. It is a frankenstein made from Mark, tygaboy,and my cars . My biggest suggestion is find a car as rust free as possible. If you find one with rust learn to weld 1st.. Now learning to weld is not a 5 minute job . it takes hours. My students take on average 90 hours of real weld time before they are ready to weld things correctly. Most body shops don't even weld correctly and the icar certs are an absolute joke so keep that in mind. Then start repair of the car. I feel very strongly that most of the cars people scrap should be saved. People like @mcmark are fully of capable of fixing these cars and we should be saving them.

Other then that take your time.. Lots of time

Keep in mind in my 3 years I also developed 12 914 specific parts so that did take time from the build..

+Quote Post
restore2seater
post Dec 20 2018, 10:05 AM
Post #750

Future 914 copilot.

Member No.: 3,037

That said the car I fixed would have been scrapped by 99% of the folks on this board.. It is a frankenstein made from Mark, tygaboy,and my cars . My biggest suggestion is find a car as rust free as possible. If you find one with rust learn to weld 1st.. Now learning to weld is not a 5 minute job . it takes hours. My students take on average 90 hours of real weld time before they are ready to weld things correctly. Most body shops don't even weld correctly and the icar certs are an absolute joke so keep that in mind. Then start repair of the car. I feel very strongly that most of the cars people scrap should be saved. People like @mcmark are fully of capable of fixing these cars and we should be saving them.

Thought that might be a typo at first. Did a google search. I - CAR
I kind of have the same feeling towards SAE certifications. Just cause you can pass a test doesn't make you a good mechanic.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 20 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #751

914 Guru

Hung the bumper so it was safe and out of the way. Over the next 10 days we have to paint the 944 , do a head gasket on my son's civic so he can sell it. So my shop is packed. Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 21 2018, 08:52 AM
Post #752

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 20 2018, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 20 2018, 06:51 AM) *

I actually used the rubber/foam block sanding block for mine..

And @tdskip here are a few thoughts.

I feel that I am good with allot of different aspects of restoration of cars but by no means an expert in all areas

I can paint fairly well
Build engines as I did that in a former life
Fab and weld (my profession)

Other then that take your time.. Lots of time

Keep in mind in my 3 years I also developed 12 914 specific parts so that did take time from the build..

Thanks Ben, helpful.

Keep going and please keep us posted!

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Dec 21 2018, 10:28 AM
Post #753

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 20 2018, 07:09 PM) *

Hung the bumper so it was safe and out of the way. Attached Image

All the better for sitting inside making vroom, vroom sounds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Where did you buy those roller skates for the car? I think I want to get a set for when mine comes off the spit. Do they help with doing an alignment?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 22 2018, 02:19 PM
Post #754

914 Guru

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 21 2018, 08:28 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 20 2018, 07:09 PM) *

Hung the bumper so it was safe and out of the way. Attached Image

All the better for sitting inside making vroom, vroom sounds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Where did you buy those roller skates for the car? I think I want to get a set for when mine comes off the spit. Do they help with doing an alignment?

@bbrock I made them and as far as alignment I suppose so.. When I get to that point I think it will help
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 22 2018, 03:22 PM
Post #755

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

The Harbor Freight ones also work pretty well for the light 914 and do go on sale.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Dec 22 2018, 04:20 PM
Post #756

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That Saturn red is looking very nice.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 22 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #757

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

I have 2 sets of the harbor freight ones. Disassemble the wheels and grease them up. Move really well after that.

It seems I use them for everything but under a car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 24 2018, 03:53 PM
Post #758

914 Guru

Side tracked this weekend.. Had to finish painting my son's 944. Turned out pretty nice.. 1 spot had a little run but should be able to wet sand it out or I will spot it in.. Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Dec 26 2018, 11:30 PM
Post #759

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

Nice!
Is that creme or white?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
JC 914-73
post Jan 1 2019, 02:27 AM
Post #760

Member No.: 22,252
Region Association: Canada

Wow, just finished reading thru the thread, what a treat! Thank you for sharing the experience, hats off to the quality and amount of work, learned a lot just reading thru the posts. Looking forward to seeing the finished car. Awesome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post

69 Pages V « < 36 37 38 39 40 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 04:04 AM