Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel level sending unit, Can it be tested
Allan
post Mar 11 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #1

Teenerless Weenie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Is there any way to test the fuel level sending unit before I put it back in the tank. It has alot of rust film on it and sounds like some rust flakes got in it. I have a cleaner looker unit out of a parts car but want to make sure it works.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jr91472
post Mar 11 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #2

"I'm pacing myself sergeant..."

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,437

yes,

Consult your electric diagrams, two of the terminals on the sender will give varying resistance readings depending upon the float position in the sender. Connect your voltmeter set to ohms. If you hold the sender upright, the float should be at the bottom (i.e empty tank). If you turn it upside down, the float should to the "top" (i.e. full tank)

you should see varying resistance levels in the range of 5 to 75 ohms (that was the range on my sender). Do a search here for a previous thread because it seems that different people were reporting different ranges (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

I would think that the key is that you can read a fairly wide range of resistance levels. If you don't, then your float is probably stuck and you will need to take it a part and clean it. There is an article on Pelican to describes how to do this.

good luck
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 11 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

One of the terminals is the sender, the other is for the low fuel light. Ground is the lid of the unit. Between ground and the light terminal, you should get 0-5 ohms with the float at the bottom, and infinite resistance with the float off the bottom. That's the light terminal. The other terminal and ground should show 0-10 ohms when the float is at the top (full), and 75-100 ohms when the float is at the bottom (empty).
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 04:12 AM